ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAME THREAD: Rutgers Football vs. Northwestern

I almost never read this thread, and I regret checking in. Thank you for being the educated voice of reason. No offense to any other posters, but if you want to know what is real, people should skip all other posts and just read yours. Appreciate your perspective. Hope you made it to and from the car without problems today.
I rarely post in the game day threat. But being at home injured, I figured I would.

Reactions: Kbee3
Ryan Day does not play safe. Hope they open up game against Temple.
Day gave up his playcalling this year. Hartline was promoted from WR coach and is a first time OC. Kinda wonder if that also didn’t add to some first game issues.

He was not rattled or anything less than poised....but against top level teams he would have thrown 2 or 3 picks today. It was a good developmental game for him. They have to start letting him run in the open field or against the flow of play. He will get huge gainers they have to utilize his speed
There were in particular 3 different plays where Wimsatt had a receiver clear deep 30-35 yards. For game one he had little pressure from NW. You could see a definite improvement in the O line protections. Rutgers will need to continue improving under Flats . We are seeing some depth and cohesion as a unit.

He was not rattled or anything less than poised....but against top level teams he would have thrown 2 or 3 picks today. It was a good developmental game for him. They have to start letting him run in the open field or against the flow of play. He will get huge gainers they have to utilize his speed
Not sure since NW ‘s DB’s are a pretty solid unit with experience. Rutgers needs to continue working hard.Hope coach Watson is back and healthy soon. Seems like a great guy.

Overall I was happy with Rutgers performance. Defense was really flying to the ball. I think if offense does not turn the ball over too much this year, we could be competitive with our defense.

Even though I am happy with offense today, I believe we still have ways to go. GW did much better than what the media was saying about him through out scrimmages. GW definitely had very good moments and showed potential...

Two things on offense that could really do wonders.
1 - thing I noticed was, most completed passes were to his 1st option receiver. Few passes definitely could have gotten intercepted if we played better competition.

2 - I'm hoping his decision making gets quicker. I think in the beginning of the game, if he takes off more as soon as he sees opening, this would help out his passing rest of the game. That would make defense adjust, by bringing up LB or Safeties. DCs could even start putting spy dedicated to him. This would allow his receivers to have better separation or get to a opening space for a pass.

Overall I was happy with Rutgers performance. Defense was really flying to the ball. I think if offense does not turn the ball over too much this year, we could be competitive with our defense.

Even though I am happy with offense today, I believe we still have ways to go. GW did much better than what the media was saying about him through out scrimmages. GW definitely had very good moments and showed potential...

Two things on offense that could really do wonders.
1 - thing I noticed was, most completed passes were to his 1st option receiver. Few passes definitely could have gotten intercepted if we played better competition.

2 - I'm hoping his decision making gets quicker. I think in the beginning of the game, if he takes off more as soon as he sees opening, this would help out his passing rest of the game. That would make defense adjust, by bringing up LB or Safeties. DCs could even start putting spy dedicated to him. This would allow his receivers to have better separation or get to an opening space for a pass.
When you say “ the media” please include those posters from here who did nothing but critique GW in a negative way even after Schiano named him the starter early on. His decision making was fine and no he didn’t take off running early on. NW DB’s are actually a solid unit.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
When you say “ the media” please include those posters from here who did nothing but critique GW in a negative way even after Schiano named him the starter early on. His decision making was fine and no he didn’t take off running early on. NW DB’s are actually a solid unit.
When I said media, it doesn't mean message board posters.

His decision making was good for this game because we got the win against Northwestern.

“He’s considerably more accurate than he was,” Schiano said. “In the college football RPO game, you need your quarterback to be a processor — see it, process it and do the right thing quickly.”

RPO game. We run RPO offense. In my honest opinion - if he does better with his reads and quicker decision making, our Offense will flourish and even be competitive with top tier teams with our defense.

While being happy with performance and enjoying the win, you can always improve on stuff. Especially when you got players who hasnt really established anything yet. (im talking more on offensive side)

I almost never read this thread, and I regret checking in. Thank you for being the educated voice of reason. No offense to any other posters, but if you want to know what is real, people should skip all other posts and just read yours. Appreciate your perspective. Hope you made it to and from the car without problems today.
So true.

Good, go root for tOSU. You are ridiculous with your takes. Not sure if you are trying to be funny. If you are serious, good luck with your continued disappointment.
Just call it like it is not slighting GW in the least. The game today is big play based 15 plays to score is not going to get it done. Sorry you dont like to hear it. Take away Kyle M 15 yd run and between the 2 backs we would have had 33 rushes for 80 yds

Nice to have an O coordinator that clearly outcoached the competition, Took what NW gave him made wimsatt successful didn't ask him to throw into a 6 man zone. Spread the ball around, was patient, ran the ball. Gavin had plenty of time, they generall pretty much just rushed four and stayed away from the two deep safety sets, worked the edges, the tight ends, and the quick outs
He moves around the pocket and buys time real well.

Dude - Do you think RU had anything at all to do with the domination you just watched. What a negative view of an RU football game. Find another team to not root for.
Huh ? It was a good game from rutgers.
But let’s not carried away here . Northwestern really does stink and doesn’t have a coach

Reactions: colbert17
Sorry but we did absolutely nothing to expand conservative playcalling and did nothing to expand the field. That playcalling against OH St. MICH, Mich St, Penn St Wisky will be shutouts
Agree for second half. 1st half it was better imho

Wonder what the ratings were

They 100% needed to. Oh st doesnt play to just win a game, PSU does not play to just win a game nor does Mich. USC, Oregon. We need to STEP up our whole game. Too many people have become satisfied with 10 yrs of awful offense
This man gets it:)

NW sat in 2 high and 4 high looks. They sat in zone and blitzed a little. We are not elite enough to run by 4 high looks. We made our money with come backs, level looks, and crossing routes. We missed two huge open routes on flood looks.

Our run game was solid enough without our 2 beat backs, but that needs to improve.
So we exploited their coverage like we're supposed to. Lol, u guys Crack me up

Reactions: gef21
For the most part the play calling was exactly what was called for in this game. It wasn’t conservative at all in the first drive. We threw multiple times on first down. Then we went up 17-0 and called the sharks off for the half. Some of our fans didn’t like that, but we’re still working in a new QB, and were without our top 2 RBs and multiple wide outs. There would be even more complaints if we took some shots down field and got picked off to let them back in the game. Second half more of the same. We did just enough mixing it up with the short pass to Kyle for a big play. Once we got another TD why would we take nt chances.

Shouldn’t have fielded that punt though.
No, should have let it go

And yet with all the injured players, NCAA BS somehow Rutgers won the game. It’s called getting some depth all around. What is so funny here is you can almost predict , even in a solid win , which posters will write negatively about the team. Same ole Sam ole… way to go Rutgers … keep working hard.
You're a devisive poster. We did well, not great. Lots to work still. Don't always be a dik

You're a devisive poster.
How is that post divisive?? He also didn't say we did great or even well. He just said that it was a solid win, which it was.
Just because he mentions that there will still be the usual suspects making negative posts (which is true) makes him divisive and makes him a d**k?

Reactions: thegock
Nice to have an O coordinator that clearly outcoached the competition, Took what NW gave him made wimsatt successful didn't ask him to throw into a 6 man zone. Spread the ball around, was patient, ran the ball. Gavin had plenty of time, they generall pretty much just rushed four and stayed away from the two deep safety sets, worked the edges, the tight ends, and the quick outs
Agree. Good job today and I'm not a kirk fan
How is that post divisive?? He also didn't say we did great or even well. He just said that it was a solid win, which it was.
Just because he mentions that there will still be the usual suspects making negative posts (which is true) makes him divisive and makes him a d**k?
Huh, trying to say there always posters with issues isnt divisive? He just is in all threads. This was a good thread, both good and bad and very little bs

OK, I will concede that Michigan is a better football team than we are right now. However, seeing that scan of the students "singing" Mr. Brightside, RU/Jersey women are national champions in the looks department. Just saying...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT