ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAME THREAD: Rutgers Football vs. Northwestern

They did not need to expand the play calling.
Don't wait your time. Some people will complain for the sake of it.

Sheldon Cooper Reaction GIF by CBS

OL did a good job of its pass pro today. Good start for Coach Flaherty. May need more work on run blocking but ground it out when they needed to.

Reactions: Knight Shift
They 100% needed to. Oh st doesnt play to just win a game, PSU does not play to just win a game nor does Mich. USC, Oregon. We need to STEP up out whole game. Too many people have become satisfied with 10 yrs of awful offense
Doosh coach calling time outs
Why is he a doosh it's his 1st game as coach. He doesnt want to take a shutout and he's playing until the end to build some positives for his team. We didnt play offensively until the end

Reactions: Knight Shift
They 100% needed to. Oh st doesnt play to just win a game, PSU does not play to just win a game nor does Mich. USC, Oregon. We need to STEP up out whole game. Too many people have become satisfied with 10 yrs of awful offense

Why is he a doosh it's his 1st game as coach. He doesnt want to take a shutout and he's playing until the end to build some positives for his team. We didnt play offensively until the end
OSU scored 23 points yesterday.

They 100% needed to. Oh st doesnt play to just win a game, PSU does not play to just win a game nor does Mich. USC, Oregon. We need to STEP up our whole game. Too many people have become satisfied with 10 yrs of awful offense
This will happen when Rutgers is a Top 10 team with a bunch of 4, 5 star players like the teams you mentioned. Rutgers have to start winning consistently again before blowing out Northwestern 75-0. Hopefully today is a good start.

Exactly.

I saw this as a pretty well-coached game, not that I'm any kind of expert. Early on, it wasn't super conservative, a good blend of runs and passes.

Then it became pretty clear we could dominate their offense. So there was no good reason, at that point, to put the whole playbook on film for future opponents. Seems to me, if you can easily win while keeping everything simple, then that's what you do. Why complicate it?

Watching on TV, it's hard to see some of WR routes, so I'm not sure how much we probed NW's secondary for longer pass plays. In the first half, GW missed a wide-open WR deep for a TD. He had time to make the throw, but went underneath instead for some reason. That's the only really deep route I saw, although I'm sure there were some others.

Got the conference win. Put a ton on film to review with the players tomorrow. Overall, a good result.

Hopefully we can build some momentum with a straightforward win over Temple.

Exactly.

I saw this as a pretty well-coached game, not that I'm any kind of expert. Early on, it wasn't super conservative, a good blend of runs and passes.

Then it became pretty clear we could dominate their offense. So there was no good reason, at that point, to put the whole playbook on film for future opponents. Seems to me, if you can easily win while keeping everything simple, then that's what you do. Why complicate it?

Watching on TV, it's hard to see some of WR routes, so I'm not sure how much we probed NW's secondary for longer pass plays. In the first half, GW missed a wide-open WR deep for a TD. He had time to make the throw, but went underneath instead for some reason. That's the only really deep route I saw, although I'm sure there were some others.

Got the conference win. Put a ton on film to review with the players tomorrow. Overall, a good result.

NW sat in 2 high and 4 high looks. They sat in zone and blitzed a little. We are not elite enough to run by 4 high looks. We made our money with come backs, level looks, and crossing routes. We missed two huge open routes on flood looks.

Our run game was solid enough without our 2 beat backs, but that needs to improve.

Sorry but we did absolutely nothing to expand conservative playcalling and did nothing to expand the field. That playcalling against OH St. MICH, Mich St, Penn St Wisky will be shutouts

For the most part the play calling was exactly what was called for in this game. It wasn’t conservative at all in the first drive. We threw multiple times on first down. Then we went up 17-0 and called the sharks off for the half. Some of our fans didn’t like that, but we’re still working in a new QB, and were without our top 2 RBs and multiple wide outs. There would be even more complaints if we took some shots down field and got picked off to let them back in the game. Second half more of the same. We did just enough mixing it up with the short pass to Kyle for a big play. Once we got another TD why would we take nt chances.

Shouldn’t have fielded that punt though.

They 100% needed to. Oh st doesnt play to just win a game, PSU does not play to just win a game nor does Mich. USC, Oregon. We need to STEP up our whole game. Too many people have become satisfied with 10 yrs of awful offense
You didn’t watch the Ohio St game yesterday. A lot of 2 TE sets and ball control offense. They are breaking in a new QB who doesn’t seem to be at the level of their recent QBs. Marvin Harrison Jr who is the best WR in the country and will be a top 5 draft pick in 2024, caught 2 passes for like 20 yds.

Reactions: Kbee3 and gef21
The team looked prety good, but have to take in the level of competition. Too bad we lost the shutout.

Glad for the win, the greed in me wanted more points but Rutgers did what it needed to in order to start the season off in a good way.
Sorry about the shutout not being obtained, but winning is nice shutout or not.
I'll just enjoy this winning feeling that gives me a smile and feel even if improvement is needed, Rutgers did show improvement today while missing some parts that might have helped the running game do more damage

Reactions: thegock
NW sat in 2 high and 4 high looks. They sat in zone and blitzed a little. We are not elite enough to run by 4 high looks. We made our money with come backs, level looks, and crossing routes. We missed two huge open routes on flood looks.

Our run game was solid enough without our 2 beat backs, but that needs to improve.
Seemed to me that the OL had a really bad second quarter for some reason. Seemed better in the other 3 quarters, especially after NW's DL wore out some in the 4th.

Overall, I thought the two RBs did pretty well, considering the less than great blocking at the line. Gonna be another season where this team will go as far as the OL can take them, I think. Maybe more so since it looks like GW has improved some from last year.

Reactions: gef21
+’s=. Win, no int’s, lack of penalties, the D, going for it on 4th downs in first half, Gavin seemed poised, win with missing few offensive starters, the O line protection much better
-‘s=. Punt return mistakes, a little too conservative in 2nd half.
Overall got to be happy with a conference win and being tied for 1st place.
I think we do well against Temple and then Virginia Tech will be a good measure of our progress.

Why does Rutgers refuse to do the option part of option plays? Wimsatt had at least two TDs in the first half of they actually let him read the read option. I'm really getting tired of this crap.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Why does Rutgers refuse to do the option part of option plays? Wimsatt had at least two TDs in the first half of they actually let him read the read option. I'm really getting tired of this crap.
He tried to pull it one time and the RB snatched it back.

Reactions: RUTGERS95 and Kbee3
For the most part the play calling was exactly what was called for in this game. It wasn’t conservative at all in the first drive. We threw multiple times on first down. Then we went up 17-0 and called the sharks off for the half. Some of our fans didn’t like that, but we’re still working in a new QB, and were without our top 2 RBs and multiple wide outs. There would be even more complaints if we took some shots down field and got picked off to let them back in the game. Second half more of the same. We did just enough mixing it up with the short pass to Kyle for a big play. Once we got another TD why would we take nt chances.

Shouldn’t have fielded that punt though.
Actually there were 2 muffed punts.
If A. Young can return next week that problem should be corrected.
If not move someone else in for the position.

Reactions: Kbee3 and redking
We also use a motion man to make the read simple. Most of his RPO plays were gives. He pulled for a nice slant but overthrew it.

We had the best QB play we've seen ina. Long time from an RU QB. Let's see expansion now.

Can’t complain about the kick off unit either. All touch backs, right?
That was good to see. Will be helpful against some of the explosive teams later in the year. The punt formation seems a bit wacky, but looks like it is to take advantage of the Aussie style kicking. Seems like that could be an area where teams may figure out how to pressure later in season. Will have to see.

And yet with all the injured players, NCAA BS somehow Rutgers won the game. It’s called getting some depth all around. What is so funny here is you can almost predict , even in a solid win , which posters will write negatively about the team. Same ole Sam ole… way to go Rutgers … keep working hard.

Reactions: thegock and MADHAT1
Exactly.

I thought Washington had a nice game, which was very good to see. Long got looks and catches too. Strong is going to be a good one as he develops! Jackson was quites as was the Maine transfer TE.

Reactions: mildone
We also use a motion man to make the read simple. Most of his RPO plays were gives. He pulled for a nice slant but overthrew it.

We had the best QB play we've seen ina. Long time from an RU QB. Let's see expansion now.
I thought Washington had a nice game, which was very good to see. Long got looks and catches too. Strong is going to be a good one as he develops! Jackson was quites as was the Maine transfer TE.
Ian Strong is going to be a force going forward . Big, strong, fast and has great instincts. Washington is another guy who is finally looking like a B1G receiver.

Reactions: thegock and gef21
Gavin missed some open guys and when he reviews this game film he will realize what could have been… like two more TD’s.

Gavin was poised and calm. The Oline gave him time to go through progressions and he was able to escape some pressure. He also made some nice throws while on the run. Game has to give him confidence going forward and bodes well for further improvement against Temple.
Give our defense some credit for Northwestern offense not looking good.
Bryant was good last year at Cincinnati
Porter was expected to be a tough running back
And their transfer in receivers were expected to be big pluses.
Our D made them look not so good.

Gavin missed some open guys and when he reviews this game film he will realize what could have been… like two more TD’s.
Good comments. At least twice he threw the ball away to the sideline when he clearly didn't see guys wide open over the middle.

Reactions: thegock
He was not rattled or anything less than poised....but against top level teams he would have thrown 2 or 3 picks today. It was a good developmental game for him. They have to start letting him run in the open field or against the flow of play. He will get huge gainers they have to utilize his speed

Reactions: RUTGERS95 and Kbee3
Good comments. At least twice he threw the ball away to the sideline when he clearly didn't see guys wide open over the middle.
He threw one lazy ball tonthe side he was throwing away. He has to get that one 10 yds out of bounds. Dude could make a play on that

OSU scored 23 points yesterday.
I almost never read this thread, and I regret checking in. Thank you for being the educated voice of reason. No offense to any other posters, but if you want to know what is real, people should skip all other posts and just read yours. Appreciate your perspective. Hope you made it to and from the car without problems today.

This will happen when Rutgers is a Top 10 team with a bunch of 4, 5 star players like the teams you mentioned. Rutgers have to start winning consistently again before blowing out Northwestern 75-0. Hopefully today is a good start.
No it wont because in his whole career GS only stepped on 1 team. Louisville 2007 to get Mike Teel TD record. He needs to change his mentality more towards Jim Har's. Win and win big it matters for bowls & BCS games (no we are not there but big quality wins matter not laying down for 2+ Qtr's

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Nice to have an O coordinator that clearly outcoached the competition, Took what NW gave him made wimsatt successful didn't ask him to throw into a 6 man zone. Spread the ball around, was patient, ran the ball. Gavin had plenty of time, they generall pretty much just rushed four and stayed away from the two deep safety sets, worked the edges, the tight ends, and the quick outs

I almost never read this thread, and I regret checking in. Thank you for being the educated voice of reason. No offense to any other posters, but if you want to know what is real, people should skip all other posts and just read yours. Appreciate your perspective. Hope you made it to and from the car without problems today.
OSU new QB & Receivers check in at end of year

I thought our receivers showed good hands today, pulling in some tough catches and no horrible drops that I can recall. It feels like it's been a while since we could say that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT