ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAMEDAY THREAD: Rutgers versus Ohio State

The answer to what?

Yes last season, and especially this season, have been disappointing, but he's a good coach, he's done very well here.
His recent trend line of results is clearly becoming a burden on the resume. To some he can continue to do no wrong because of what he inherited but that is not the proper perspective anymore. He was climbing the low rungs of the ladder very well early in his tenure but again his recent results indicate the program has dropped a rung or two. Not suggesting its easy to keep climbing but that is what he is being paid the big bucks to do.

Reactions: rucoe89
The answer to what?

Yes last season, and especially this season, have been disappointing, but he's a good coach, he's done very well here.
Even if you give Pikiell the benefit of the doubt through the Michigan St loss last year, where has the coaching been? He still had talent on last year's squad with Paul, Cliff and Cam. He couldn't coach them up even with Mag out. And forget about this season. Where is the development? The vaulted defensive prowess? Where are fundamentals like boxing out and using the glass on offense? It is just not there.

I hear what you're saying. All salient points
Look at the performance of the team as a trendline since that loss. It has been downward. Look at development of players like Omeruyi and Simpson. Incremental at best. Look at the roster - lots of dice rolled, most of which did not pan out. The Cam Spenser parents article is telling -- they all realize Pikiell is not going to help them get to the next level. The fan base needs to understand what that means and that Pikiell may have peaked here. If you are Omeruyi or Mag's handler - you are looking to a program with Coaches that can get your potential out and get you to the NBA. Rutgers is not that place right now.
I hear what you're saying. All salient points. It's important to see how Pike does next year. If we have a disappointing year with the studs we have coming in, then you're right; he doesn't deserve to be around. As pissed off as I am and as disgusted as I am, I'm not giving up on the coach or next year's team.

Reactions: rucoe89
Love Pike but starting Noah, Austin and Oskar was little league bullshit. Wtf. They got recognized before the game, no need for them to start.

Do we want to win games or not. Set an awful early tone

Nothing to do with this loss..ot was 30-28 at half

Players played like pussies

Reactions: socaldave
Love Pike but starting Noah, Austin and Oskar was little league bullshit. Wtf. They got recognized before the game, no need for them to start.

Do we want to win games or not. Set an awful early tone
Nice > smart. His mo.

And Simpson still can't hit a 12 footer. Another clang off the back of the rim. Statistically, he is one of the worst shooters in all of college basketball.

You don’t feel bad about a mediocre team running us out of our own building in a game where we’re struggling to even score 50 points?

This was an utter fvcking embarrassment.
My point is that RIGHT NOW - in the last 6 or 7 games - OSU is not a mediocre team. Go ask Purdue, MSU and a few others

Reactions: KevH
This second half, coming off a nice comeback to make it a game at halftime, harkens back to the Jordan era teams. All season it was fair to critique the shooting. Now it’s fair to question effort. Not a good sign for Pike.

Even it you give Pikiell the benefit of the doubt through the Michigan St loss last year, where has the coaching been? He still had talent on last year's squad with Paul, Cliff and Cam. He couldn't coach them up even with Mag out. And forget about this season. Where is the development? The vaulted defensive prowess? Where are fundamentals like boxing out and using the glass on offense? It is just not there.
he’s stubborn and a great defensive coach who has no clue about offense and how to develop and recruit it for the most part . If this season didn’t scare him straight that he needs to change his offensive philosophy or offensive involvement i don’t know what will. And just because Ace and Dylon are coming in won’t make it 100 percent better. Can’t ask frosh as talented as they are to bail you out off bad offensive possessions all season long

Im worried our Net will crater tomorrow
We all know it doesn't matter. Just a bad coaching job by this staff this season.

Staff needs to bring in coaching talent, better S&C trainers, and need to land some recruits to give some hope after Dylan and Ace leave. All tall orders.

Last edited:
Reactions: ldwnmas
Aiden in the box score with assist to GG for 3. That is the play of the game for Rutgers.

Wow - this season needs to be flushed down the 🚽. Pike better have massive incentives for players to make free throws next season. It’s really inexcusable for this to be year after year after year.

His recent trend line of results is clearly becoming a burden on the resume. To some he can continue to do no wrong because of what he inherited but that is not the proper perspective anymore. He was climbing the low rungs of the ladder very well early in his tenure but again his recent results indicate the program has dropped a rung or two. Not suggesting its easy to keep climbing but that is what he is being paid the big bucks to do.
46% winning last 5 against any top 7-8 leagues including 7-14 ooc vs. those teams. I charted it all out by year if as anyone wants to see the facts.

Aiden Terry had more assists than the starting 5. Led the team, along with GG, with 2.

I hear what you're saying. All salient points

I hear what you're saying. All salient points. It's important to see how Pike does next year. If we have a disappointing year with the studs we have coming in, then you're right; he doesn't deserve to be around. As pissed off as I am and as disgusted as I am, I'm not giving up on the coach or next year's team.
We owe him like $23 million. He's going nowhere anyway for a bit so hope returns.

Even without the talent coming in, I would say it is important he breaks that trend line.

With that talent it's an absolute necessity. A big year is a must.

Reactions: tm_nj
Whew. Really glad I only have to do that one more time this season.

Congrats to the seniors, grateful for their contributions in evolving the program, particularly Cliff, Hyatt and Oskar. They all seem like great individuals and I'm sure they will do excellent things in their future.

This is just a fundamentally broken team at this stage, but next year will be a completely different team with a coach that has maximized talent more often than not in his time here. Excited for that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT