ADVERTISEMENT

Great win, but stop with the ref whining...

For all the shit people give to someone like Paul, saying he will get a reputation or whatever..

Maybe we should hold the ref whose ****ing job it is to do this to a standard of professionalism? Calling a player differently because you don’t or do like them should be grounds for dismissal

Has nothing the do with Refs not liking Paul.

Paul is a clever/creative player and finds ways to get in players heads or get calls.

Sometimes he tries a bit too hard and it backfires (tonight). And when that happens he can get frustrated, lose focus and complain about every call. Fortunately it hasn’t happened much this year, but I saw it tonight.

Fouls against Cam were awful. Never saw a flop called on a three. Paul was hit so not a flop. Bad calls. Caleb pushed out of bound.

No flops or walk against NW but so quick to call against it against RU.

Only reason NW was in the game was due to refs. In the bonus so early. Late fouls of 12 to 15 doesn’t make it right. Cliff pushed out of bounds.

Coach saying we can’t defend the foul line is all that needs to be said.

We won’t complain when it becomes fair. Don’t stick head in the sand!!

NW had a flop called in the first half

It was also very much a tale of two halves....

We didn't get a foul called on us for the first 13:53, and had 4 total called (1 on Spencer, 2 on Mag, 1 tech on Mulcahy). NW was also called for just 4 all half.

In the second half, we got called for 9 fouls in the first 9:04.... and at the 2 min mark had 13 called on us to their 5 (PF and techs combined).

The whole nature of what was/wasn't called changed after the break.

Was only a 15-12 foul disparity and we deserved most of them, including Paul's almost flagrant dumb foul at the end and on top of that we had Paul's two stupid flops. The only game I recall being really pissed at the reffing was Purdue, where it was 24-11 in fouls and 28-11 in FTs, in Purdue's favor in a game where so many touch fouls were called on us and very few on them. Our implosion at the end was almost all self-made with bad TOs, bad fouls, missed assignments and bad shots. Thankfully, the team came back to win it on the back of freakin' Cam Spencer scoring 5 of the last 7 points in the game and 23 overall, including the huge trey and the 2 FTs at the end - onions!!

Paul did have 12/6/6 and 2 steals and a block and Mag/Hyatt both had nice nights with 9 and 10, respectively. Cliff only had 4 but played much better in the 2nd half on D with 11 boards overall and 2 blocks and altered a few more. Caleb struggled on O, but played mostly great D. Nice to win with subpar performances from Cliff and Caleb and not much from the bench (Simpson had a weak game too) - going to need more bench play and production in the future though. 11-18 from three is the stat of the game though.

I agree. They called a great first half and we were flopping all over the place. They did have it out for us a bit in the second half, but we deserved it tbh.

Reactions: RU848789
TERRIBLE take.. there was one ref clearly out to call fouls on Mag... and he called 3 on him. One time on a Rutgers inbound he leaves teh sidelines to approach Mag and say something to him when all he is doing is leaning over at the foul line, hands on knees, sucking some air before the ball is inbounded. Then, he makes a call because Mag ran around a DEFENSIVE pick and got some contact. Awful call.

At least 4 times the ball was clearly off NW and they game them the ball. Not only did one ref make the bad call, but the guy with the next best view nods his head in agreement when both were DEAD WRONG.

That was some bullshite. As were some of the charge calls and flop calls. Complete and utter bullshite that gave NW the ball. That's at least 6-7 possessions just given to NW by refs.. well beyond the range of missed calls that "go both ways".

They had 2 guys.. 34 and 31 routinely setting and holding on moving picks. The big goon 34 also tried to trip/kick Mulcahy late in the game to get a call and go to the line. He would also run straight into Mulcahy and get Mulcahy called for a "common foul" after they figured that could not hang a technical on him and get someone other than teh goon to the line.

Just crazy bad.. no, nod bad.. biased.. or CHEATING refs.

We live in a crazy age of greed where everyone wants theirs... that refs in teh college game might have other motivations than to ref a good game warrants completely reasonable suspicion. That was some BS.
This post says it all in a nutshell and I usually don’t go batshit about the reffing. Poor Mag was so traumatized with the barrage of calls on him he was continually holding his arms up on defense to show the refs he was not reaching. Then you have Caleb getting shoved and smacked all around in both halves and no calls.

As someone stated, the key thing with reffing is consistency. The change in officiating from first half to the second, was almost like the refs had a huddle at half and said “Ok. It’s time!”

One thing I will say is that the second flop call on Paul was questionable especially since it looked like he was going to the ground not to get a foul after the made three but more like an effect of him going to the ground as his shot went in the basket. No doubt though that Paul is a marked man in the BIG because of his body language over the past few years and he has to live with the consequences.

The horseshit manner this game was reffed could have caved the team’s spirit but they kept working through it as a team and Cam came through with big shots for the win.

GO RU

There is absolutely an officiating problem in this conference if for no other reason than games aren’t remotely called like tourney games and it screws the conference since the conference has to recruit to play tackle basketball. Which is fine, except when no other conference does it.

It’s so bad it was reported this week coaches had to discuss with Warren.

It was also very much a tale of two halves....

We didn't get a foul called on us for the first 13:53, and had 4 total called (1 on Spencer, 2 on Mag, 1 tech on Mulcahy). NW was also called for just 4 all half.

In the second half, we got called for 9 fouls in the first 9:04.... and at the 2 min mark had 13 called on us to their 5 (PF and techs combined).

The whole nature of what was/wasn't called changed after the break.
Ridiculous and almost gave NW the game and not counting fouls not called! Just awful.

When Pike is complaining about reffing and you think the reffing was good you know you're wayyyyy off
Exactly! Can you stick your head in the sand but only reason NW was still in the game was officiating.

We are good. The poor officiating and bias against RU has to stop.

Reactions: jrm75
Please stop ! Even Pike was pissed in post game interview . All of a sudden it’s a flop a thon and ticky tack fouls in 2nd half.
He wasn’t pissed. He said we need to avoid fouling. Y’all are hearing what you want to hear.

We were fouling like crazy at the start of the second half, especially when the bench players were in. I was sitting here going “foul” “foul” “foul” as we kept committing obvious fouls that the refs let go.

The refs let both teams get away with tons of contact in the first half, the reversed that and started calling touch fouls in the second half.

We took forever to adjust to the change. Pike knows it and alluded to it by saying it’s hard to know what to tell players about the officiating when that happens. Which is true. But that’s the job. Players have to play to how the refs call the game and it changes mid-game sometimes.

Reactions: bac2therac
If a ref manages to call three flops in a game that tells me more about the ref than the players imo

Bro two of the three were clear flops. They were the right calls, whether you like the rule or not.

The third was questionable but when there were already two called (one of which was on Paul) it’s not as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. Paul probably got fouled but he probably also didn’t need to fall like that.

Bigger issue was the inconsistency in foul calling between the two halves.

Reactions: bac2therac
There is absolutely an officiating problem in this conference if for no other reason than games aren’t remotely called like tourney games and it screws the conference since the conference has to recruit to play tackle basketball. Which is fine, except when no other conference does it.

It’s so bad it was reported this week coaches had to discuss with Warren.
There's a coaching problem in the conference. They need to coach technique better.

• Haha
Reactions: RUinOhio and Scangg
Was only a 15-12 foul disparity and we deserved most of them, including Paul's almost flagrant dumb foul at the end and on top of that we had Paul's two stupid flops. The only game I recall being really pissed at the reffing was Purdue, where it was 24-11 in fouls and 28-11 in FTs, in Purdue's favor in a game where so many touch fouls were called on us and very few on them. Our implosion at the end was almost all self-made with bad TOs, bad fouls, missed assignments and bad shots. Thankfully, the team came back to win it on the back of freakin' Cam Spencer scoring 5 of the last 7 points in the game and 23 overall, including the huge trey and the 2 FTs at the end - onions!!

Paul did have 12/6/6 and 2 steals and a block and Mag/Hyatt both had nice nights with 9 and 10, respectively. Cliff only had 4 but played much better in the 2nd half on D with 11 boards overall and 2 blocks and altered a few more. Caleb struggled on O, but played mostly great D. Nice to win with subpar performances from Cliff and Caleb and not much from the bench (Simpson had a weak game too) - going to need more bench play and production in the future though. 11-18 from three is the stat of the game though.

Totally disagree my friend …

That game was called completely different in the sexond half from the first half

The inconsistency is a big issue

The one thing that any coach or players asks for is for the game to be called the same from the first minute to the end z…

And it just wasn’t . The contact that wasn’t being called both ways in the first half was caked in the sexond half and then sone ….

Reactions: jrm75 and RU MAN
Bro two of the three were clear flops. They were the right calls, whether you like the rule or not.

The third was questionable but when there were already two called (one of which was on Paul) it’s not as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. Paul probably got fouled but he probably also didn’t need to fall like that.

If you are calling a god damn flop on a play where the supposedly flopping player “probably got fouled” that is a big deal and also you are probably a bitch who is mad because you are a bad ref and have been fooled by one too many flops.

It’s like a ref who T’s someone up for swearing. They might be technically within the rules. They’re also a bitch.

If you are calling a god damn flop on a new play where the supposedly flopping player “probably got fouled” that is a big deal and also you are probably a bitch who is mad because you are a bad ref and have been fooled by one too many flops.

It’s like a ref who T’s someone up for swearing. They might be technically within the rules. They’re also a bitch.

Okay so let’s just focus on the third flop - you clearly didn’t get the whole point of my post lol.

Totally disagree my friend …

That game was called completely different in the sexond half from the first half

The inconsistency is a big issue

The one thing that any coach or players asks for is for the game to be called the same from the first minute to the end z…

And it just wasn’t . The contact that wasn’t being called both ways in the first half was caked in the sexond half and then sone ….
I agreed above that there was inconsistency in how the game was called in the 2nd half, but I was focusing on the overall foul disparity/impact and I just don't think it was much of a factor or that it came anywhere close to what we saw for the Purdue game, which I thought was very unfair/unbalanced.

Okay so let’s just focus on the third flop - you clearly didn’t get the whole point of my post lol.
I do get the point of your post, I think. But even if I give you the clear, obvious ones (I didn’t see the NW one but I’ll take your word for it.. their coach didn’t seem happy about it) that’s still two, not three.

No one is going to come to your house if you don’t call any flops. But if you want to call obvious ones, fine. Borderline ones should never, ever be called

Reactions: S_Janowski
There's a coaching problem in the conference. They need to coach technique better.

It's one thing to coach technique, but another to experience what does/doesn't get called on the floor. Give players enough reps with a loose whistle, they'll become more physical - give players enough reps with a tight whistle, they'll become less physical. You can preach technique until you're blue in the face - but when theory and reality collide, the realities on the floor win out.

Players have to figure out what kind of game it's going to be early on - and then settle into the style of officiating being called on that night by that crew. That changes every game - some games are loose, others are tight. This game was very loose in the first half, then tight in one direction in the second. That's tough to figure out after you've played 20 minutes already and thought you had a bead on the way the game was being called.

Reactions: wheezer
Plus the flop rule was almost certainly dreamt up by incompetent refs in the first place so I blame them for it even existing.

Reactions: ChasRC69
Yep. But NW either instantly adjusted to it or came out with the intent to draw fouls while playing relatively clean. We did the opposite. We came out and played even more physically than the first half. As the half wore on they started fouling more and we finally adjusted and stopped, mostly.

I agreed above that there was inconsistency in how the game was called in the 2nd half, but I was focusing on the overall foul disparity/impact and I just don't think it was much of a factor or that it came anywhere close to what we saw for the Purdue game, which I thought was very unfair/unbalanced.
INCONSISTENT REFFING IS POOR REFFING

I would guess Pike told the team to come out playing very physical during halftime. I would’ve. After all, the refs were very lenient in the first half, letting tons of fouls go for both sides.

Over the first 18 minutes of the 2nd half, we got called for 13 fouls to their 5.... and they got 13 FT attempts to our 4. From 12:49 to 1:00, NW got 11 FTs to RU's 0.... and the game went from RU +8 to NW +1

The disparity throughout that stretch was definitely a factor.

Plus the flop rule was almost certainly dreamt up by incompetent refs in the first place so I blame them for it even existing.

I blame the NBA for the flop rule.

You don’t see it much in college and it’s not really a problem/shouldn’t be a focus. NBA is a different story.

Reactions: fluoxetine
Yep. But NW either instantly adjusted to it or came out with the intent to draw fouls while playing relatively clean. We did the opposite. We came out and played even more physically than the first half. As the half wore on they started fouling more and we finally adjusted and stopped, mostly.

That's not at all how it happened for NW.

NW's fouls in the 2nd half were at 13:30, 12:50, 10:56, 10:30, and 10:06.... and then no more fouls until 0:59 and 0:05 (to stop the clock).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT