ADVERTISEMENT

Great win, but stop with the ref whining...

Mag is the offensive player there. Defender slides in doesn't have position at all then flops. Defender clearly didn't have position
This play and the Paul “almost flagrant” was the same play yet we got the foul called on both.

Reactions: motorb54
Agree cple whistles didn't go out way, nothing crazy on the road though. When you follow game thread there is crying on virtually every play.

For bunch of guys who bitch about how guys in nba cry on every play it's quite the read.

Reactions: RU848789
The ref who called the second flop was out near midcourt and did not see the contact.
The ref under the basket had the position but swallowed his whistle which would have been fine if the other ref did not call the flop.

And on the potential flagrant: Wasn't Paul stationary, setting a pick, and the NW player ran into him?
How was that a foul on Paul?

NW had ~10 straight possessions at the end where they scored. Refs didn't make shots NW did. We didn't get a stop until that last possession. Like the calls or not, NW played good D & made their shots down the street to almost pull out the W.

7:52 - NW made 3
7:23 - NW 2 FTs (1-2)
6:53 - NW 1 tech FT (1-1)
6:35 - NW miss
6:23 - NW 2 FTs (2-2)
5:52 - NW layup
5:06 - NW made 3
4:30 - NW layup
3:44 - NW layup
2:54 - NW made 3
2:11 - NW 2 FTs (1-2)
1:14 - NW made 3

In 12 trips down the floor, NW got points on 11 of them.... 7-8 from the floor (4-4 from 3P), 4 trips to the FT line (5-7). 2 of those FTs were on a "loose ball" foul on Spencer's body control after his shot was blocked, the missed OOB call when the ball got poked away from Mulcahy (resulting in 2 FTs on the resulting possession), and the OOB call on Omoruyi when he got bumped on the baseline (resulting in a made 3).

Very rough stretch for us as we went from +10 to -4. I'm very glad we were able to fight through it and not fold in the final minute.

The ref who called the second flop was out near midcourt and did not see the contact.
The ref under the basket had the position but swallowed his whistle which would have been fine if the other ref did not call the flop.

And on the potential flagrant: Wasn't Paul stationary, setting a pick, and the NW player ran into him?
How was that a foul on Paul?

He braced hard for impact and set his shoulder into him, instead of taking the hit and getting knocked down... but he'd already had a flop call against him, so I'm sure he didn't want to get knocked down there either. Nicholson has him by 5" and 40 lbs... and he'd already drawn a flop against Mulcahy by hip checking him in the backcourt. Pretty much a no win situation for Mulcahy, there.

Reactions: Pils86
This is all a fact of life. It all comes down to you have to be 10 points better on the road to allow for the bullshit that’s likely to come. I felt we did that last night…barely.

Also have to play each possession like you are tied. There was a possession pretty late where we had the ball up 9 I believe. Hit a 3 there and it’s game over. Instead we turned the ball over and they hit a 3. Those are game changers.

Reactions: bac2therac
This is all a fact of life. It all comes down to you have to be 10 points better on the road to allow for the bullshit that’s likely to come. I felt we did that last night…barely.
I think we all know that. It’s the degree of the bullsh*t that has is infuriating.

Cam taking biggest foul shots of game and ref ices him by telling him to fix his Jersey.

Just awful bush league officiating

Reactions: satnom and motorb54
7:52 - NW made 3
7:23 - NW 2 FTs (1-2)
6:53 - NW 1 tech FT (1-1)
6:35 - NW miss
6:23 - NW 2 FTs (2-2)
5:52 - NW layup
5:06 - NW made 3
4:30 - NW layup
3:44 - NW layup
2:54 - NW made 3
2:11 - NW 2 FTs (1-2)
1:14 - NW made 3

In 12 trips down the floor, NW got points on 11 of them.... 7-8 from the floor (4-4 from 3P), 4 trips to the FT line (5-7). 2 of those FTs were on a "loose ball" foul on Spencer's body control after his shot was blocked, the missed OOB call when the ball got poked away from Mulcahy (resulting in 2 FTs on the resulting possession), and the OOB call on Omoruyi when he got bumped on the baseline (resulting in a made 3).

Very rough stretch for us as we went from +10 to -4. I'm very glad we were able to fight through it and not fold in the final minute.
Or because NW in the double bonus so early RU couldn’t play tight defense or as called in the first half and overlooking that Northwestern, the second best defensive team in the league had only four fouls. RU had triple that. It’s way too simplistic to say NW made shots. That’s not the real story. Awful biased Officiating did indeed open the door. Just look at Coach’s commentary post game. Even biased Hummel noted the discrepancy.

Last edited:
Or because NW in the double bonus so early RU couldn’t play tight defense or as called in the first half and overlooking that Northwestern, the second best defensive team in the league had only four fouls. RU had triple that. It’s way too simplistic to say NW made shots. That’s not the real story. Awful biased Officiating did indeed open the door. Just look at Coach’s commentary post game. Even biased Hummel noted the discrepancy.
Exactly

It was a bad officiated game. I do not care about the foul discrepancy, that’s irrelevant. 2 of those fouls came in the final minute. NW was in the double bonus with 10 minutes remaining while we were stuck on 5 fouls until 2-3 minutes to play. Refs need to be more consistent how they call the game half to half. It wasn’t because one team was more aggressive or attacking more. RU was more in the paint and NW was chucking 3s.
As for Paul, he needs to chill. The first flop was completely warranted but the 2nd was bs. Could’ve been an and 1 and if you watch college basketball you know shooters often fall backwards hard hard on contested shots, it NEVER gets called. Either way, jury is out on Paul and the refs want to call those flops on him, and him loosing his composure doesn’t help. Credit to him for putting it behind him in the final minute.

But NW only had 4 fouls called to RU's zero in those 14 minutes.. and by halftime, IIRC, it was tied in fouls with the "makeup" calls often resulting in a turnover. And for the game.. not counting the final 4 FTs given to us for clock reasons.. FTs were something like 16 to 6. Despite us being very active in the lane.

And NW was, by far, the more "physical" team despite how many times announcers and opposing coaches call Rutgers "physical". Rutgers is a finesse team.. especially on offense. On D we are active.. but not "physical".. we get pushed around and I would not be surprised if that is the "book" on Rutgers.. push them around and you'll win. Go over teh top on boards because you cannot allow Rutgers height and quickness to out-board you.

So.. when we see very few fouls called and the other team pushing us around and not getting called.. you have to wonder if that choice by the refs was to help the other team.
So you think they were helping us in the first half, then helping them in the second? And if they were helping either team, why did the calls mostly even out by the end of each half?

I don't read the game thread, not because of the complaining about the refs but the nonsense spewed there about the players and coach.

Last night the refs deserved our ire. They were horrible, and we are lucky they didn't determine the outcome of the game. The two offensive fouls on Spencer were a joke.

They were the same ref crew that we had against Purdue, where they had 17 more shots from the foul line than we did.

Reactions: BillyC80 and Scangg
So you think they were helping us in the first half, then helping them in the second? And if they were helping either team, why did the calls mostly even out by the end of each half?

2nd half, RU had 13 fouls and NW had 7 (and one was intentional to stop the clock). That's evening out, calling 2x as many fouls on one team than the other?

The idea of “evening out” is such a misnomer. It never evens out. Putting a team in the double bonus with more than half the game left and that same team only has four fouls….

I don't read the game thread, not because of the complaining about the refs but the nonsense spewed there about the players and coach.

Last night the refs deserved our ire. They were horrible, and we are lucky they didn't determine the outcome of the game. The two offensive fouls on Spencer were a joke.

They were the same ref crew that we had against Purdue, where they had 17 more shots from the foul line than we did.
But we aren’t supposed to address that.
We can’t address clock not starting.
We can’t address OSU player stepping on line.
We can’t address illegal catch by OSU player.
We can’t address NW in double bonus and they only having four fouls.

It’s whining I tell you. It’s whining!

Reactions: DC8690 and MV9000
Ah you seem confused. The posters on this board are not on the team.
That’s exactly my point. Fans whining about refs is like shouting at he sky when it rains.

Meanwhile, the grass and trees get much needed water and the reservoirs are filled up with drinking water.

Winning. Not whining. 😀

gopher dancing GIF

The idea of “evening out” is such a misnomer. It never evens out. Putting a team in the double bonus with more than half the game left and that same team only has four fouls….

Two similarly-styled teams predicated on harassing defense. Team A takes 27 threes and 24 twos..... Team B takes 18 threes and 36 twos.... generally, Team B will get more trips to the line than Team A, because they're taking the ball inside and not settling for outside jumpers.

Generally when you take the ball to the rim and force the other team to defend the paint, you draw more fouls... and when you stay outside the arc all game, you draw fewer fouls.

That’s exactly my point. Fans whining about refs is like shouting at he sky when it rains.

Meanwhile, the grass and trees get much needed water and the reservoirs are filled up with drinking water.

Winning. Not whining. 😀

I'd say it's more whining when a team loses and fans blame the refs (OSU notwithstanding, where the league issued an apology). In this game, we won despite a slanted table through most of the 2nd half - we finally DID overcome officiating inconsistency, which is to be celebrated. But just because we won doesn't suddenly mean that there weren't officiating issues.

And given the number of storm threads on this board... you think people don't talk about rain? lol

I never complain about refs..The purdue game I was actually fine with because my eyes told me we were clearly much more aggressive defensively thus more fouls.

Foul disparity is a lazy way to analyze these things. Last night the gripe was the ticky tack fouls and bogus out of bounds calls.. most which occurred during that 10 point swing in a apan of like 2 minutes. At least two or three of those were really bad calls—the refs were really feeling themselves and it was obvious the snowball effect it had on the scoreline and team. Hell of a job to win in spite of that.
We see them as bad calls. But we often aren’t presented with all the camera angles necessary to be certain. I saw what looked to me like bad calls that went both ways, as I do in every game.

But I also allow for the possibility that (a) I am unconsciously allowing my RU bias affect how I see things and (b) the refs might actually have seen stuff I missed. It would be pure arrogance to suggest that we RU fans, often only seeing one camera angle, are always right in how we view calls. Or that we look for and remember bad calls that benefit us as much as we look for and remember calls that hurt us.

He braced hard for impact and set his shoulder into him, instead of taking the hit and getting knocked down... but he'd already had a flop call against him, so I'm sure he didn't want to get knocked down there either. Nicholson has him by 5" and 40 lbs... and he'd already drawn a flop against Mulcahy by hip checking him in the backcourt. Pretty much a no win situation for Mulcahy, there.
more concerned him using and re-injuring that shoulder.

Reactions: RUChoppin
I think we all know that. It’s the degree of the bullsh*t that has is infuriating.

Cam taking biggest foul shots of game and ref ices him by telling him to fix his Jersey.

Just awful bush league officiating
I saw that coming but it is the rule and happens all game.

Two similarly-styled teams predicated on harassing defense. Team A takes 27 threes and 24 twos..... Team B takes 18 threes and 36 twos.... generally, Team B will get more trips to the line than Team A, because they're taking the ball inside and not settling for outside jumpers.

Generally when you take the ball to the rim and force the other team to defend the paint, you draw more fouls... and when you stay outside the arc all game, you draw fewer fouls.
Thank you. Someone with logic.

We see them as bad calls. But we often aren’t presented with all the camera angles necessary to be certain. I saw what looked to me like bad calls that went both ways, as I do in every game.

But I also allow for the possibility that (a) I am unconsciously allowing my RU bias affect how I see things and (b) the refs might actually have seen stuff I missed. It would be pure arrogance to suggest that we RU fans, often only seeing one camera angle, are always right in how we view calls. Or that we look for and remember bad calls that benefit us as much as we look for and remember calls that hurt us.
not sure if you've seen the other thread about coaches complaining to Warren.

But we aren’t supposed to address that.
We can’t address clock not starting.
We can’t address OSU player stepping on line.
We can’t address illegal catch by OSU player.
We can’t address NW in double bonus and they only having four fouls.

It’s whining I tell you. It’s whining!
When it’s raining out, and someone says “hey look, it;s raining out”. That’s an observation and a statement of fact.

When someone says instead “Why the hell is it raining? God hates us.”, that’s whining. If you need a reminder of how people discussed the reffing, go back and reread the last half of the game thread.

Few statements of fact. Much whining.

Or there may indeed be an unconscious bias against Rutgers and those aggressive Northeasterners. Or with the use of replay you can see the calls against Cam were bad calls. That Caleb the reigning defensive player of the year was indeed hand checked and pushed out of bounds. That Paul was hit while making a three, that Cliff because of his freakish athletic ability never gets calls even though he is hacked and pushed underneath. Or that We had triple the fouls against the 2nd best defensive team in the league?

Reactions: BillyC80
When it’s raining out, and someone says “hey look, it;s raining out”. That’s an observation and a statement of fact.

When someone says instead “Why the hell is it raining? God hates us.”, that’s whining. If you need a reminder of how people discussed the reffing, go back and reread the last half of the game thread.

Few statements of fact. Much whining.
Or Go Back and rewatch the 2nd half of the game and the discrepancy. That’s statement of fact. If you don’t like the conversation that’s whining.

I said, in the game thread, at least 3 times in that second half, that we had to drive more, get fouled. We mostly never made that adjustment. If we had, we’d have been getting more foul calls and would’ve been in the bonus much earlier plus probably maintained a healthy lead throughout the half. Instead we kept taking ill advised outside shots and missing. Plus didn’t draw any fouls.

I said, in the game thread, at least 3 times in that second half, that we had to drive more, get fouled. We mostly never made that adjustment. If we had, we’d have been getting more foul calls and would’ve been in the bonus much earlier plus probably maintained a healthy lead throughout the half. Instead we kept taking ill advised outside shots and missing. Plus didn’t draw any fouls.
ha..they'd be called for travels or offensive fouls.... 😛 (kidding)

Or Cam gets called for offensive foul. Cliff gets pushed all over the place and it’s never called. Same with Paul. Caleb gets hand checked and pushed out of bounds and out on Rutgers? Further proves the point. We don’t get the calls.

Mag is the offensive player there. Defender slides in doesn't have position at all then flops. Defender clearly didn't have position
Was that Mag’s 4th foul you are talking about? Agree if so, Mag did not push off, he just turned the corner, very minimal contact to the point Audige could have been called for a flop. Imho

Reactions: Scangg
Or Cam gets called for offensive foul. Cliff gets pushed all over the place and it’s never called. Same with Paul. Caleb gets hand checked and pushed out of bounds and out on Rutgers? Further proves the point. We don’t get the calls.
Every team's fans think they never get the calls. What makes you right and the fans of every other team in history wrong? 🙂

Doesn’t anybody else think it’s just a bit strange they suddenly enforce the flop rule during an RU game? Is that whining? I want to know what’s fair game on a message board?

How about a ref icing a player and telling him to fix his shirt right before the most important foul shots of the game with the game on the line. Of course it’s when a Rutgers player is shooting.

Is that whining? Asking for a friend. Inquiring minds want to know.

Reactions: Corycord1
Every team's fans think they never get the calls. What makes you right and the fans of every other team in history wrong? 🙂
Like Ohio State? St.Johns? Maybe just maybe it’s true. We should be tied for first today. That’s why. Nothing has changed since.

Last edited:
This thread started with a very simplistic observation, 15- 12 fouls, what are you complaining about? That is a very stupid comment for a long-time poster. It's how and when those fouls were called. Obviously, we can't give the refs credit for the last foul against NW, because that was intentional. The biggest problem was the disparity in calls between the halves - if you don't think that was a makeup on the refs' behalf, you don't know psychology (also, coaches talk to refs at halftime). I don't think the first flopping should have been called against Northwestern - once they did, I think the refs felt compelled to continue calling them. However, every time I see Paul's 3-point shot, I see contact. That to me was an and-1, not a flop.
To you smug defenders of the refs and critics of us ref-haters - I say we could re-watch the second half and find 10 incorrect calls that went against RU; this certainly impacted the game.

Reactions: RUinOhio and goru7
ha..they'd be called for travels or offensive fouls.... 😛 (kidding)
A couple of the charge calls did indeed look bogus. But yeah, Pike needs to keep pounding it into the team that when the shots aren't falling, they need to move more and move the ball more and drive the lane, go up strong, and draw fouls (or else get easy points).

Even if we get a couple bogus charge calls. 🙂

I have to say, a lot (not all) of the charges we get called for are good calls. I can tell Pike's had the team work a bit at stopping short of the defender and taking a tear-drop shot from in the lane, when a clear path to the basket isn't there. We're doing that more lately (with mixed results).

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Doesn’t anybody else think it’s just a bit strange they suddenly enforce the flop rule during an RU game? Is that whining? I want to know what’s fair game on a message board?

How about a ref icing a player and telling him to fix his shirt right before the most important foul shots of the game with the game on the line. Of course it’s when a Rutgers player is shooting.

Is that whining? Asking for a friend. Inquiring minds want to know.
The first flop they called was on them. And yes, that is whining. Also, it's a bit paranoid and conspiracy-esque. Why would refs always be against RU?

To you smug defenders of the refs and critics of us ref-haters - I say we could re-watch the second half and find 10 incorrect calls that went against RU; this certainly impacted the game.
Excuse me, but I'm not a smug defender of refs. The refs can drive off a bridge and die screaming for all I care. Screw them.

I'm a smug and arrogant defender of truth, logic, and reason. And I'm a smug, arrogant attacker of paranoid conspiracy theories.

Also, I'm a total douchebag and don't shower nearly often enough. 😃

Winning. Not whining. 😀

gopher dancing GIF
Fans saying the team should foul less is exactly the same.

Every post on this board (with the possible exception of the NIL related ones I guess) is futile.

Reactions: RUChoppin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT