ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetical: Hobbs keeps Ash. How many season tix next year??

nukem

Senior
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2003
Yes it's an unpleasant thought but this is Rutgers and Ash is Hobbs' boy. If the unexpected happens and Hobbs keeps Ash, where do you think season tix settles in at for next year?

I’ll drop the parking pass and drop to 1 ticket of the cheapest available. I don’t want to lose my points. Rutgers will be back hopefully before I die.

Yes it's an unpleasant thought but this is Rutgers and Ash is Hobbs' boy. If the unexpected happens and Hobbs keeps Ash, where do you think season tix settles in at for next year?
Hobbs understands the finances quite well - better then pretty much everybody on these forums. I suspect that Ash was retained for 2019 despite considerations of season tickets numbers. So if he's retained again, it will once again be with full knowledge of the impact on season tickets.

The thing about ticket sales is that if they would go up by hiring a new coach next season, then they'll also go up if we hire a coach the following season. The AD will have considered all these things and they'll make the best possible decision given the constraints imposed by the BOG and/or BOT and/or , president.

It's entirely possible that Hobbs has been told to stay the course with the football program for the time-being.

Reactions: asgot
Hobbs understands the finances quite well - better then pretty much everybody on these forums. I suspect that Ash was retained for 2019 despite considerations of season tickets numbers. So if he's retained again, it will once again be with full knowledge of the impact on season tickets.

The thing about ticket sales is that if they would go up by hiring a new coach next season, then they'll also go up if we hire a coach the following season. The AD will have considered all these things and they'll make the best possible decision given the constraints imposed by the BOG and/or BOT and/or , president.

It's entirely possible that Hobbs has been told to stay the course with the football program for the time-being.

I would imagine the drop in season ticket #’s was much greater than Hobbs thought it would be.

If they understood the finances Ash would have never been back this year. A majority of this board knew how much lost revenue was at stake and knew retaining Ash for 1 more year with the slim chance of him turning this ship around would be more costly then firing him last year.

Reactions: Wolv RU
I would imagine the drop in season ticket #’s was much greater than Hobbs thought it would be.

If they understood the finances Ash would have never been back this year. A majority of this board knew how much lost revenue was at stake and knew retaining Ash for 1 more year with the slim chance of him turning this ship around would be more costly then firing him last year.
Nah. Think about it. None of us has anywhere near the visibility into the overall finances, combined with the constraints imposed on athletics, combined with knowledge of future plans, that the AD and University administration have.

There's a plan. There are contingencies. I'm content to watch them play out.

And I'm vastly more concerned with who replaces Ash than when he's fired. I said it with Flood - firing a coach is the easy part, replacing him and doing better is the hard part. And y'all all told me we couldn't possibly do worse.

This sure feels like we did worse.

They already made the wrong financial decision by keeping him going into this season. Let’s not pretend that our AD/BOG/BOT are all-knowing based on title.
I'm pretty sure they would disagree that they've made the wrong financial decision.

Because of course they're all knowing when it comes to the finances. They have visibility into all the data and we do not. This is not rocket science and they aren't stupid. They are making informed decisions. We just don't like the decisions.

I get we're all unhappy about the football program. I'm sure Hobbs is unhappy about the football program, too. But let's not let our unhappiness cause us to think we're magically more knowledgeable than the people who actually have the real data in their hands.

I can’t imagine how Hobbs can sit down and believe keeping ash vs. hiring a schiano, Davis or anyone with a pulse can yield a better ROI. Ash in year 4 should not be getting shut out like this anymore. He has failed, he needs to go. Hiring a real coach will
bring back some hope. We are Rutgers fans, hope will sell a lot of tickets next year. And a real coach will get buy in for a few years.

If he keeps ash, he should be fired on the spot. I don’t care how great other sports do. Hobbs knows it, and we all know it, that in the big 10 your identity is represented through football. We are now a laughing stock again. It seems near impossible that we can be back to this level again. Penn state had a situation that should have buried them, yet good coaching allowed them to play well and now no one cares. We went cheap with flood, then got swindled by a great interview with ash, and now we are in purgatory. Hobbs needs to leave the ego at home and hire schiano. He had the chance 4 years ago, but his ego stopped it. He told me point blank at a nyc event that he offered the job to Greg but Greg wanted Miami, when that fell apart he came back and Hobbs said no. He needs to bury that and bring Greg back.

I'm pretty sure they would disagree that they've made the wrong financial decision.

Because of course they're all knowing when it comes to the finances. They have visibility into all the data and we do not. This is not rocket science and they aren't stupid. They are making informed decisions. We just don't like the decisions.

I get we're all unhappy about the football program. I'm sure Hobbs is unhappy about the football program, too. But let's not let our unhappiness cause us to think we're magically more knowledgeable than the people who actually have the real data in their hands.

They can disagree all they want but they would be wrong. You’re giving the AD and especially the administration way too much credit.

Just look at all of the aluminum around the stadium so far and the rest of the games this season. You can’t honestly believe it was the right financial decision to retain Ash for this year.

We would have seen a dip with a new coach this year but it wouldn’t have been anywhere as bad as it is and continue to be with Ash. O and if we got a new coach there’s a 99% chance we wouldn’t be playing this bad this year which means we would have generated a decent amount of online sales from season ticket holders who have dropped the past couple of years.

I can’t imagine how Hobbs can sit down and believe keeping ash vs. hiring a schiano, Davis or anyone with a pulse can yield a better ROI. Ash in year 4 should not be getting shut out like this anymore. He has failed, he needs to go. Hiring a real coach will
bring back some hope. We are Rutgers fans, hope will sell a lot of tickets next year. And a real coach will get buy in for a few years.

If he keeps ash, he should be fired on the spot. I don’t care how great other sports do. Hobbs knows it, and we all know it, that in the big 10 your identity is represented through football. We are now a laughing stock again. It seems near impossible that we can be back to this level again. Penn state had a situation that should have buried them, yet good coaching allowed them to play well and now no one cares. We went cheap with flood, then got swindled by a great interview with ash, and now we are in purgatory. Hobbs needs to leave the ego at home and hire schiano. He had the chance 4 years ago, but his ego stopped it. He told me point blank at a nyc event that he offered the job to Greg but Greg wanted Miami, when that fell apart he came back and Hobbs said no. He needs to bury that and bring Greg back.
Why would he hire a guy that couldn't even go .500 in conference play his last 4 seasons in the Big East, which was significantly less competitive than the Big Ten today? We don't get to play 4 cupcake teams, plus a couple weak-ass in-conference teams each season to get to bowl games anymore.

Get rid of Ash. But let's not bundle that obviousness with the objectively poor decision to hire Schiano who has not demonstrated that he's any kind of great head coach.

They can disagree all they want but they would be wrong. You’re giving the AD and especially the administration way too much credit.

Just look at all of the aluminum around the stadium so far and the rest of the games this season. You can’t honestly believe it was the right financial decision to retain Ash for this year.

We would have seen a dip with a new coach this year but it wouldn’t have been anywhere as bad as it is and continue to be with Ash. O and if we got a new coach there’s a 99% chance we wouldn’t be playing this bad this year and which means we would have generated a decent amount of sales from season ticket holders who have dropped the past couple of years.
No, I'm giving logic and reasonableness the right amount of credit. I suspect that if you knew everything that Hobbs knows, and had the same constraints Hobbs has, you would probably have made the exact same decision for 2019.

You're seeing from a fans perspective and doing some quick math in your head. That's not comparable to what Hobbs knows. You're making the same mistake every sports fan everywhere does. You think you know a lot about the situation. But you, just like me, almost certainly don't know a quarter of what Hobbs knows that's relevant to these decisions.

Or are you really going to say you know more than him?

For all any of us know, he's already been quietly told to retain Ash for 2020 unless there's an off-field problem like Flood had. Perhaps due to Barchi's imminent departure, or due to some unknown financial situation. We don't know.

I'm not saying we shouldn't fire Ash. We should. I'm saying that they kept Ash on for some reason(s) knowing full well that we'd lose a lot of revenue. They knew that. You think if idiot fans on a public forum knew it, the AD didn't know it? Seriously?

Reactions: RUSONIC
It’s not going to happen but it’s at 16k right now and that is the diehards. Probably lose another 4-6k if he’s not fired.

No, I'm giving logic and reasonableness the right amount of credit. I suspect that if you knew everything that Hobbs knows, and had the same constraints Hobbs has, you would probably have made the exact same decision for 2019.

You're seeing from a fans perspective and doing some quick math in your head. That's not comparable to what Hobbs knows. You're making the same mistake every sports fan everywhere does. You think you know a lot about the situation. But you, just like me, almost certainly don't know a quarter of what Hobbs knows that's relevant to these decisions.

For all any of us know, he's already been quietly told to retain Ash for 2020 unless there's an off-field problem like Flood had. Perhaps due to Barchi's imminent departure, or due to some unknown financial situation. We don't know.

I'm not saying we shouldn't fire Ash. We should. I'm saying that they kept Ash on for some reason(s) knowing full well that we'd lose a lot of revenue. They knew that. You think if idiot fans on a public forum knew it, the AD didn't know it? Seriously?

I’m specially talking about your previous statement where you said “I’m pretty sure they would disagree they’ve made the wrong financial decision”.

Unless Ash pulls off 5 + wins, retains his job and rejuvenates this fan base to the point of adding season ticket holders, they 100% made the wrong financial (key word financial) decision.

Not really sure why I need access to data or information that Hobbs has. It’s pretty clear cut.

If Hobbs understand the finances than he only kept ash because he believes in him. Hobbs is blind then

Reactions: S_Janowski
Ash is Hobbs guy. He is going to get every chance to succeed so Hobbs doesn't look bad. Even if it was the wrong thing to do financially this year.

Reactions: RU#1fan
Season tickets, plus all the other ancillary revenue that comes with a winning program.

Why would he hire a guy that couldn't even go .500 in conference play his last 4 seasons in the Big East, which was significantly less competitive than the Big Ten today? We don't get to play 4 cupcake teams, plus a couple weak-ass in-conference teams each season to get to bowl games anymore.

Get rid of Ash. But let's not bundle that obviousness with the objectively poor decision to hire Schiano who has not demonstrated that he's any kind of great head coach.
To make your argument stick, you make it seem as if Schiano is the only option in replacing Ash. During the period when Hobbs was looking for a new coach, you had people like Chip Kelly, Dan Mullen, and Pat Narduzzi all expressing interest in the job. There are quality coaches out there interested in the job.

Reactions: beaced
Ash is Hobbs guy. He is going to get every chance to succeed so Hobbs doesn't look bad.

images

Joe P.

12,500 - my group actually went up from 14 to 16 this year (good tailgates) but it took some arm twisting. If Ash is back I am guessing it totally falls apart and I will renew with just one ticket - my wife will stay home lol.

I’m specially talking about your previous statement where you said “I’m pretty sure they would disagree they’ve made the wrong financial decision”.

Unless Ash pulls off 5 + wins, retains his job and rejuvenates this fan base to the point of adding season ticket holders, they 100% made the wrong financial (key word financial) decision.

Not really sure why I need access to data or information that Hobbs has. It’s pretty clear cut.
The athletics finances may not be as straightforward as you think. Remember that cutting Ash free isn’t a single year impact, and it’s tied into a multiple year outlay for the next coach and staff, which, if we want to hire a better coach with a better chance of winning, is going to be quite expensive. Then we have to factor in where all this fits in the larger athletics budget plans, and even larger University budget plans.

It could very well be more complicated, for Hobbs, than just “we’re temporarily losing football revenue” while Ash is still here. And we have already, if I’m not mistaken, borrowed against our full share of big ten money. RU may behave determined that spending on facilities is a necessary ingredient to being more competitive, along with a new head coach, and all of that costs money that has to be budgeted across multiple years, factoring in loans and other outlays, as well as football revenue.

Reactions: 17Q66
If Hobbs understand the finances than he only kept ash because he believes in him. Hobbs is blind then
Extremely unlikely because there’s no logical basis to assume he’d do that. He’ll do whatever he can, within the constraints he’s given, to produce the best teams he can. Anything else would be counter-productive to his personal success in this job.

Of course Hobbs has more info than any of us but that doesn't mean he can't make a wrong decision. One can argue that his ability to make an unbiased decision on this matter is difficult for him. He is the one that hired him. He is the one who gave out what has turned out to be a ridiculous contract for a coach who has failed spectacularly. Once he fires Ash this stain is entirely on his record. He wanted this to work more than anyone else.

I honestly don't believe he thought this whole thing this year would turn out as bad as it has from the ticket situation to the on field performance. I think this administration weighed the PR hit it would take and got scared. I think you're being a little too generous in thinking this administration is incapable of making a wrong decision with this matter. All of us who have been around awhile can list plenty of instances where they have failed to make the right decision. After all, Hobbs had all the info to make this hire and he got it terribly wrong. You don't think he could've made another miscalculation here?

To make your argument stick, you make it seem as if Schiano is the only option in replacing Ash. During the period when Hobbs was looking for a new coach, you had people like Chip Kelly, Dan Mullen, and Pat Narduzzi all expressing interest in the job. There are quality coaches out there interested in the job.
I would hope Hobbs will try hiring an offensive minded coach this time around.

Of course Hobbs has more info than any of us but that doesn't mean he can't make a wrong decision. One can argue that his ability to make an unbiased decision on this matter is difficult for him. He is the one that hired him. He is the one who gave out what has turned out to be a ridiculous contract for a coach who has failed spectacularly. Once he fires Ash this stain is entirely on his record. He wanted this to work more than anyone else.

I honestly don't believe he thought this whole thing this year would turn out as bad as it has from the ticket situation to the on field performance. I think this administration weighed the PR hit it would take and got scared. I think you're being a little too generous in thinking this administration is incapable of making a wrong decision with this matter. All of us who have been around awhile can list plenty of instances where they have failed to make the right decision. After all, Hobbs had all the info to make this hire and he got it terribly wrong. You don't think he could've made another miscalculation here?
I do not think he would make the wrong decision about when to fire Ash based on finances. Because that part of the decision is, to someone who has all the relevant data, easy to understand.

And Hobb’s job depends on the football program not being an embarrassment to the school. At least it will eventually depend on that, over time. So I think he wants to get a better coach. Again, he doesn’t operate in a vacuum. We do not know the constraints imposed by the administration.

I do not think he would make the wrong decision about when to fire Ash based on finances. Because that part of the decision is, to someone who has all the relevant data, easy to understand.

And Hobb’s job depends on the football program not being an embarrassment to the school. At least it will eventually depend on that, over time. So I think he wants to get a better coach. Again, he doesn’t operate in a vacuum. We do not know the constraints imposed by the administration.

We all can go round and round on this situation. You're basically saying since the administration has all the facts, they are the only one that can come to the correct answer. I'm sure there was more than 1 answer to this situation. And the administration doesn't always come to the right conclusion. I've personally seen them make wrong decisions, as I'm sure that you have. Here are the facts that I know. The program is losing football games at a rate which is historically one of the lowest rates in our history. The stadium which seats 52,000 fans isn't even close to half full, despite what the announced attendance is. We aren't paying a coach $2.5M for anything close to what is going on with this program right now. The administration I'm sure had their reasons for keeping Ash, but to think keeping him was the only answer is a foolish way of thinking. I think you give the administration way too much credit for their critical thinking here. And I'm not saying Pat Hobbs is stupid or I'm smarter than him. But Pat Hobbs isn't infallible. He has made mistakes before.

Saying that a person always makes the correct choice based on a data ignores that it’s a person who is making the decision. Hobbs tied his wagon to Ash — data be damned. I am convinced that Hobbs truly believed that Ash would turn this thing around this year, and Hobbs’s support of Ash would be proven correct. I also believe that Hobbs thought once the team starts winning this year, walk up sales will improve, etc., which would cover the shortfall. I have been in plenty of budget meetings when revenue projections have later been shown to be way over inflated.

Reactions: beaced and GORU2014

He already did. Last year. Ash should have been fired then. Only reason he wasn't was $$$

No, they have the data but it doesn’t mean they know how to properly interpret it.

The buyout is $2M/year over 4 years if they fire him last offseason. With another $1.5M/year for staff buyouts that’s maybe $3.5M/year with present value of $12-12.5M.

The revenue from selling 12,000 extra tickets a game with a big hire/successful seasons (on average over 4 years) is around $4.2M/year. Figure if you add parking and concessions worth maybe 25% of that it comes to $5.25M/year with 4 year present value of around $16.5-17.5M.

That leaves us room to pay a new coach and staff more and still break even, probably even benefit long-term due to increased alumni support.

So in short, I think they could know what they’re talking about and my napkin math could be totally off base, but the numbers are all there and based on past/current attendance I don’t see a huge flaw in the math.

Don't debate Mildew. His MO is to take the contrarian position on everything no matter how much reason and logic is provided.

Since Ash’s arrival more than 10,000 season ticket holders have departed. Now at 16,000.
Ash returns in 2020 and that number drops below 10,000. Lower than Temple.
RU has been regulated to the most irrelevant program in the Northeast.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT