ADVERTISEMENT

I’ll relent on Schiano

Schiano respects what he has built here,knows Nj HS politics as well as RU mindfields and CAN recruit NJ and bring back respectibilty to program,though it wont be over night after Ash has destroyed so much..
B.ring. B.ack S.chiano
#BBS

I don't blame Schiano for wanting the Miami job a few years ago over Rutgers. Who wouldn't want to coach at Miami over Rutgers with all the talent down there? But a lot has happened in the last few years with the Tennessee fiasco and Ash completely bombing here this is set up perfectly for a return. Schiano coming back to Rutgers would take us from a laughingstock to instant credibility overnight. I also believe he will be a much better coach than he was last time with his NFL experience and years at Ohio St. He would crush recruiting also now being in the B1G and with updated facilities. It will rally piss me off though if Hobbs sticks with Ash another few years, he continues to bomb here and Schiano winds up with another job.

Pretend gs comes here. Are y’all patient enough to wait 5 years for a winning season? Ready for all the process talk? His first 5 years of recruiting classes were ranked 51, 61, 36, 49, 59.

Coming from a guy who's already backed up that talk, at a school that many said would never get to another bowl game again (after the Garden State Bowl)? Yes. I'd be more likely to trust him than I would any other roll-of-the-dice hire RU would probably make.

GS back traveling around the state in his fleet of black Escalades, helicopters landing on high school football fields again and always present entourage.
Would result in classes pausing and students gawking again at the sight of him.

Yup, it’s all part of the stain

Very Tony Sopranoish

Both parties come back wounded.

Schiano cratered in TB, humiliated by the Vols. Hell never sniff another P5 outside of New Jersey.
Rutgers admits it's literally incapable of building its own football program without Schiano, pathetically taking back a guy who left them in awful straits a week before signing day.

I don't see another way.

While I appreciated all Schiano did here, I felt like he had peaked and that a change could be good for the program.

Boy was I wrong.

There are problems with his micromanaging style, but people evolve and get better over time if they are honest with themselves and open to change. There is no reason to think that he wouldn't be better the second time around, and quite frankly, him and Rutgers just feels like the right fit. It would be interesting to see what he could do with the Big Ten behind him, and his larger than life cocky and confident personality would be a nice change around here.

I would absolutely sign up for Schiano and I didn't feel that way when Ash was fired.

For us, sure.

For him, that just means he came back and did the same thing he already did. How does that further his goals or career?

I'd imagine his goal is to be an NY6-bowl or NC champion head coach, maybe a long shot at redeeming himself in the NFL. Getting us back to mid-level bowls doesn't accomplish that directly and doesn't add anything new to his resume. Which is why I can't fathom him wanting to come back here and repeat the past. Is that how anyone furthers their career?
For $3.5 mil. with job security? Face it, he starts making bowls he's as secure as any coach in the country here at Rutgers.(he had that before he left) Not winning a National Championship or Superbowl can easily be dealt with, not many guys win those and that will not be the end all be all that defines him as a coach. Right now

Schiano's in reputation rebuilding mode, Tennessee wanted to take a chance, but there aren't a lot of teams banging down his door. If there were we wouldn't be having this discussion. Take Rutgers back to bowls and prominence the rebuilding job will be complete and he can have his pick of the liter just like last time. Win here and people take notice.

Little bonus he offers Hafley the defensive coordinator job he'll jump back here from the NFL. That would be a real kick to recruiting. He's been stuck as a DB coach for 6 years now, DC would be a step up even in college.

Last edited:
I was against Schiano coming back as well since I think he could never get to us to the top. Been in San Diego on business all week and played golf with one of the local football coaches here. Mentioned I was a Rutgers grad/season ticket holder and first thing he said was that Schiano really got that program going. Made me think that Schiano would bring a positive vibe/image back to Rutgers. I’m now in. He will never win the B1G East, but as long as we can compete one day, I am fine with that.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
One other point I forgot. Not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but with Teel running Bosco, if Schiano keep Numz and with other rRU alum coaching programs like Somerville, he has that shot to get much better recruits.

Schiano would definitely be several steps up from what we have had the last 6 years, and would get the program back on the rails quickly. I still don't think he's the coach who can get us to the "promised land" - but I'd be happy getting to 6 wins during the regular season about half the time over the next 5-6 years, and maybe one where we manage 7 with a chance at 8 in a bowl game.

Forget the promise land, dude, that is just chasing dragons or whatever the hell it is called.

We all just need to get back to top 30 recruiting classes, maybe top 25 classes. Back to bowl games every year. If we can just do that I will be happy. Rutgers will never fire a HC because they can't win 10 games every year, we will never be that type of program. However, if we create a culture of winning and get good players, that will give us a chance to win a Big Ten title and a Rose bowl once in a decade or whatever.

Right now we have zero chance to win anything, no bowls, bad classes, we may never win another game this year!

The buyout after this season is 8 million. But Rutgers will lose more than that in ticket sells in two years and they can make up that 8 million in two seasons with the right hire.

But it has to be the right hire! Rutgers can't fire Ash unless they have a big name ready to sign as soon as it happens. We CAN"T go through this again. We CAN'T have another Flood or Ash. We may never recover.

If Rutgers can't get a name HC to agree to come here, it is not worth letting Ash go after this season because that could make things even worse.

But if Schiano wants to come back... sign him up! If not, people need to take a deep breath until we have better options.

I really think this may be the only thing you can sell to NJ because of the stink a buyout would cause...

I'm no GS lover but if they announced this I would change my mind on dumping tickets and donations just to support the cause

can't believe I am saying this but just do it...and soon as possible...already screwed on recruiting but maybe can salvage something

Coming from a guy who's already backed up that talk, at a school that many said would never get to another bowl game again (after the Garden State Bowl)? Yes. I'd be more likely to trust him than I would any other roll-of-the-dice hire RU would probably make.
I think Schiano walks in here and immediately gets RU back to top 30 recruiting classes. He was able to sell kids. His issue was letting others do their job. Hopefully more $$ for assistants would help him do that.

If Schiano is a legitimate option, wouldn't it make some sense to retain McNulty? It would afford some much needed continuity on offense as well as avoid another buyout.

Would be nice to have an OC for more than one year and McNulty is one of the few guys he would trust enough to run the offense.

And I would think there will be improvement in year one, especially seeing how we are likely to go 1-11 this year. Not much room to sink further.

Reactions: miketd1
Pretend gs comes here. Are y’all patient enough to wait 5 years for a winning season? Ready for all the process talk? His first 5 years of recruiting classes were ranked 51, 61, 36, 49, 59.
We're recruiting worse than that now. He will be able to recruit in this area based on his past reputation of success here. Being able to sell the B1G is a hell of a lot better than in his later years a dying Big East. He has much more facility wise to sell as well than when he 1st got here. Also he knows Hafley has been stuck in the NFL for 6 yrs. now as a DB coach. He offers his main recruiter back then the DC job he'll jump back with him.

Reactions: RobotHunter
Both parties come back wounded.

Schiano cratered in TB, humiliated by the Vols. Hell never sniff another P5 outside of New Jersey.
Rutgers admits it's literally incapable of building its own football program without Schiano, pathetically taking back a guy who left them in awful straits a week before signing day.

I don't see another way.
He left RU with a team that was a questionable illegal man downfield penalty away from the Orange Bowl. The awful straits were more the result of the decision to cheap out by hiring Flood than by Schiano's timing.

Schiano, if he was actually interested in returning, should definitely have serious concerns about the current administation's commitment to having a competitive football program.

Reactions: RUskoolie and Kbee3
Bring him back yesterday. The Ash regime will never be looked upon as favorably as it is right now. Think about that statement. Scary. Recruiting, is going to get worse, if that is even possible. Attendance in the tank. Fundraising in the tank. The press is going to hammer RU football mercilessly. It will be the laughingstock of college football. Bring back Greg and let the turnaround begin before it's too late.

wasn't questionable...the stadium was rocking on that play and then we see that f'ing flag holy hell what crap.

He left RU with a team that was a questionable illegal man downfield penalty away from the Orange Bowl. The awful straits were more the result of the decision to cheap out by hiring Flood than by Schiano's timing.

Schiano, if he was actually interested in returning, should definitely have serious concerns about the current administation's commitment to having a competitive football program.

The Godfather II
Empire Strikes Back

Twelve months before Ash was hired, Rutgers was an average B1G team. We had five P5 wins that year and only four conference teams finished with more.

At that point, I never thought a massive rebuild was necessary. The situation is clearly different now.

IMHO Schiano has earned enough credibility to run the program anyway he sees fit, as long as we start to see some light at the end of the tunnel during the 3rd or 4th year.

Reactions: KevH
I'm in the same camp as OP. I have a group of friends (all of whom have played for or worked for Rutgers football) who have been beating me down about bringing back Schiano. I was the lone standout until this debacle.

Schiano is not coming back here.
And BTW, as I've said many times before, guys I know think Rutgers football peaked when GS was here. Not sure what the counter-argument is.

That RU would stop being cheap bastards and hire someone with actual experience as a head coach and also tap into our own damn local talent instead of relying on high school level "athletes." Of course we have the potential to turn our FB program around but the incompetence of our administration is in the way of that, hence, why we are in a world of shit right now.

No way in Hell that happens,two years.
are you related to Ash?
how much are you donating to eat that contract? RU did a great job getting the money they need for B1G build. Big donors are tapped out. I guess it can happen if you can write that check. I'm not related to Ash. I just don't live in fantasy land.

Reactions: Knight Shift
giphy.gif

LOL! My thoughts went immediately to this scene too!

Reactions: noble106
Why wouldn't Schiano come back here??
I think he knows he took the program as far as it can go. And that coming back to a school that's now in the league that we're in and playing the November schedule that we are is an almost hopeless challenge.
I
Our biggest problem, IMO, is not our image, our division, or even our fan base. It is a university that still isn't convinced that having a good athletic program is all that worthwhile. We still hanker for the more propitious days of being competitive with, and associated with, the Colgates, Princetons, Bucknells, etc. There's only two ways of solving that. One is to get lucky with a great hire next time out. The second is for the fans/alums to demand it. I'm hoping for the former because I don't believe the latter will happen.
And that says it all.
I would just add however that I can't believe it took me so long to realize that Rutgers has no chance of ever competing with the top teams in the Big Ten.

Absolutely not.
Barchi played college football, GS and him are friends

Funny how rumors and innuendo work. The Barchi anti-football narrative has always seemed overblown to me. He was hired and assumed office after Flood, so maybe it was the BOG that was too hung up on cutting the subsidy and hiring on the cheap after Schiano left.

If what you say is true, don't see Barchi necessarily being an obstacle, potentially not even with Schiano's salary demands, as long as Hobbs can make a good case for how the buyout will be negotiated and/or paid out as well as show a realistic path towards revenue neutrality.

I think he knows he took the program as far as it can go. And that coming back to a school that's now in the league that we're in and playing the November schedule that we are is an almost hopeless challenge.

And that says it all.
I would just add however that I can't believe it took me so long to realize that Rutgers has no chance of ever competing with the top teams in the Big Ten.

I don’t agree with this at all. He joined a RU team that was constantly competing with top 10 teams in the old big east. I think his biggest frustration in recruiting was opposing coaches shitting on the big east conference. He left to take an NFL job and constantly turned down “better” schools like Michigan and Miami. I know he knows it’s easier at a big name school but dismiss the notion that he thinks he just can’t get it done here.

I don't know if that's the case.

If you told me he won't come here because he doubts he can win a national title here, I'd buy that.

But if you're suggesting the high-water mark for this program is a co-Big East championship, I might as well root for another team...

And that says it all.

That's not true. Rutgers **CAN** be competitive with the top teams in the B1G East. The 2006-2010 teams could and possible would have beaten the current Mich, MSU, and PSU teams. Our signature smothering defenses we had back then are exactly what we need right now. Our dominating O and D lines... with those pieces back in place.. we can and will compete with the teams in our division.

Reactions: RU-AGK

And that says it all.
First of all I would welcome an 8-5 season and going to a bowl every year. You are delusional that Rutgers will ever be a powerhouse in football.
Second, since the program is in worse shape when he first came in he can come back and build respectability.
Last, his first go round he recruited as a coach in the lowly Big East. Now as a coach in the great Big Ten he can be taken serious by every recruit that he sits down with.

There is no reason he wouldn't want to return except in the minds of those who hate him.

Funny how rumors and innuendo work. The Barchi anti-football narrative has always seemed overblown to me. He was hired and assumed office after Flood, so maybe it was the BOG that was too hung up on cutting the subsidy and hiring on the cheap after Schiano left.

If what you say is true, don't see Barchi necessarily being an obstacle, potentially not even with Schiano's salary demands, as long as Hobbs can make a good case for how the buyout will be negotiated and/or paid out as well as show a realistic path towards revenue neutrality.

You have to be in complete denial to not see how anti athletics Barchi is. Can you name a football or basketball game you have ever seen him at? An appearance at a practice? It's only been 6 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT