ADVERTISEMENT

I’ll relent on Schiano

how much are you donating to eat that contract? RU did a great job getting the money they need for B1G build. Big donors are tapped out. I guess it can happen if you can write that check. I'm not related to Ash. I just don't live in fantasy land.

As bad as the number is, they don't have to pay it all at once. They just keep paying Ash his normal salary until the end of the 2022 season, minus any salary that Ash gets from being hired somewhere else. Ash is obligated to go look for another job, so it is not too optimistic to think that the annual number owed will be around $1.5 million. Not ideal, but Rutgers does not have to cover it all in one budget as it is not a lump sum payment.

You have to be in complete denial to not see how anti athletics Barchi is. Can you name a football or basketball game you have ever seen him at? An appearance at a practice? It's only been 6 years.

We just had this discussion last week though. How much more do you want the subsidy to be? One could make the argument that Rutgers has invested more into athletics than any other program in recent years -- its subsidy has been #1 or close to it.

What's more is that the student fees, which most other schools don't have, are not going away even when the subsidy decreases.

I don't personally care if the President attends games. If anything, Barchi's problem has been that he is very hands off with his ADs, and those ADs have all created significant problems for themselves.

I agree that GS would give the program a shot in the arm especially in recruiting. But can he get that breakthrough recruit we need to change perception?
Remember that the best player he ever got was Ray Rice who only came to RU because Syracuse had changed coaches. Don't think a plum like that is going to fall in our lap again.

Love Ray, but please recall that Schiano beat out Ohio State for Davis and the Cult for many players over time. There's also an argument that McCourty and Sanu were better all around players, and both were lightly recruited with McCourty (Devin) having no other FBS offers.

It will be a two pronged approach- getting both the high star guys and the guys he can develop.

You have to be in complete denial to not see how anti athletics Barchi is. Can you name a football or basketball game you have ever seen him at? An appearance at a practice? It's only been 6 years.

I don't think he's a rah rah guy by any means and not sure if he's been at any games, though it wouldn't surprise me if he's traveled to a couple road games. I seem to remember him being out in Seattle for Ash's first game as HC against UW. Apparently he showed up to a spring practice in 2016:

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2016/03/rutgers_barchi_practice.html

Wow...is this board going to near unanimity again within the week?

Seems like everyone wants Ash gone.

Is everyone down with Greg coming back? I feel like the naysayers have come around or are quiet.

That would really be something.

I agree that GS would give the program a shot in the arm especially in recruiting. But can he get that breakthrough recruit we need to change perception?
Remember that the best player he ever got was Ray Rice who only came to RU because Syracuse had changed coaches. Don't think a plum like that is going to fall in our lap again.

Schiano recruited and landed NJ #1 recruits in Anthony Davis, Savon Huggins, and Darius Hamilton

How would you know if he’s at a football game or not, assuming he wanted to remain low key.
Most people who’ve reached the accomplishment level he has in life are in fact low key.

We all just need to get back to top 30 recruiting classes, maybe top 25 classes.

I think Schiano walks in here and immediately gets RU back to top 30 recruiting classes.

"Back" to Top 30 recruiting "classes".... when did we ever have multiple Top 30 classes? We've had exactly one Top 30 recruiting class according to Rivals (2012), coming off the one full year that Schiano/Hafley were together, the Sandusky scandal hitting PA St in 2011, and Pitt churning through coaching scandals.

I'd love to finally start getting Top 30 classes... but it's not somewhere in our past that we'd be getting back to, it'd just be a great step forward for the program.

Absolutely not.
Barchi played college football, GS and him are friends
Barchi played college football 50 years ago at Georgetown, which was I believe was Div III at the time and has stated publicly it is not even the same game as P5 football. I have never got the vibe that he ever wanted to be, or dare I say enjoys being in charge of a university with a P5 football program. The vibe I get that it is the hand he has been dealt and he doesn't want it to distract from his day to day love of running the academic side of the institution, including the merger, etc. As for being friends with GS, where does that come from, is that public knowledge, or inside information? If it is inside information and it is accurate and can be believed, then maybe something gets done. Again, my contact with the man is limited to handshakes and small talk at fundraisers, so I have no problem being corrected in my opinion by others with legitimate and personal inside information.

"Back" to Top 30 recruiting "classes".... when did we ever have multiple Top 30 classes? We've had exactly one Top 30 recruiting class according to Rivals (2012), coming off the one full year that Schiano/Hafley were together, the Sandusky scandal hitting PA St in 2011, and Pitt churning through coaching scandals.

I'd love to finally start getting Top 30 classes... but it's not somewhere in our past that we'd be getting back to, it'd just be a great step forward for the program.

Where do these guys get this stuff?

Can't wait until Schiano comes back and starts getting all the top 10 prospects from Florida again! We'll be back to national powerhouse status in no time!

Reactions: BlockR
What's more is that the student fees, which most other schools don't have, are not going away even when the subsidy decreases.
This part I will always debate as I've done some digging into this aspect. Here at Rutgers a liberal college everyone pays a little so everyone has access to everything. It's how the school and liberal students want it.(you only hear about the few who bitch and complain to the media) They have free access to all sporting events, use of facilities and intramural sports are free. At other colleges these cost money. The few who want access pay a lot and only those few have access to facilities, tickets are charged for and access to intramurals must be paid for.

Could you imagine the uproar for not allowing access to all these for students and limiting them to only those who have money. That's why Rutgers is currently keeping it's system in place and others have different systems for this. You simply can't limit access to anything at a liberal University like Rutgers. The backlash from the first student denied access would be deafening and then the thousands after that.

Last edited:
I still don’t want him but RU simply can’t swing and miss again. He has major flaws but also some great attributes that will help day 1. If he would being Kevin wilson as his OC/AHC I’d actually be excited. Wilson makes 800 a year and is obviously not the guy at OSU
I'm like you now. Schiano has his major flaws but he knows what needs to be done. And as you said if he brings someone like Wilson in we will have a dynamic offense and excellent defense.

Reactions: MikeRU09

Is everyone down with Greg coming back? I feel like the naysayers have come around or are quiet.

you know I can't stand your politics but when it comes to football, we align pretty well. good posts

He sold Rutgers when it was in the Big Least, had no facilities, had teams leaving for the ACC and a stadium that was empty...Some people truly forget what he did...He changed the way people looked at Rutgers...and what he specifically did from 2001-2006 is why people are still coming to the stadium despite what Flood and Ash have since done to the program. Schiano sustained that excitement for the remainder of his time here...Unfortunately, all that excitement is near dead. There still are people hanging on to that glimmer of hope we can be what he made seem possible...national contenders. But that is dying too.

He sold the program when there was not that many tangible things to sell....

WE ARE IN THE B1G NOW!!! Just think about the sales pitch now...He was bigger than life when he walked into a room then, and he will be even bigger now...

Sure - but most 2 stars can't turn out to be NFL players even with coaching and player development. Yes, coaching/development is an important piece - but identifying players who will be able to grow within your system is the first step - and Schiano had a knack for finding the "right" under-recruited guys that he could work with.

Of course, in the last 10+ years, recruiting rating sites have become a much bigger business and there are fewer and fewer players out there going unnoticed.
Agree, but he also was successful in getting some other four stars: Huggins and Hamilton. I'm sure there are some that I missed and a ton of 3 stars that were also recruited by other Power 5 programs. All of this without being in the B1G. IT just seems that most of the 3 stars Ash is recruiting aren't being seriously recruited by Power 5's.

I meant in the 30’s which happen 3 times in Schiano’s last 4 years (2009 -38, 2011 - 32 and 2012 -24) all that without being in the Big 10. If you get recruiting classes in the 30’s RU would do very well.

Rutgers lacks a business oriented President that is Sports minded.

Sports drives the bus at successful schools and Football is the cash crop!

Nothing is going to happen with Schiano or anyone with Head Coaching experience until Barchi is shown the door!

When is the last time Barchi was seen at a Basketball or Football game?

How would you know if he’s at a football game or not, assuming he wanted to remain low key.
Most people who’ve reached the accomplishment level he has in life are in fact low key.
Barchi was there on Saturday. I don’t think he is anti Athletics, I just think he is not focused on it.

As bad as the number is, they don't have to pay it all at once. They just keep paying Ash his normal salary until the end of the 2022 season, minus any salary that Ash gets from being hired somewhere else. Ash is obligated to go look for another job, so it is not too optimistic to think that the annual number owed will be around $1.5 million. Not ideal, but Rutgers does not have to cover it all in one budget as it is not a lump sum payment.
That's right. The numbers aren't as bad as they seem. We may lose that much in ticket sales alone with Ash. And with Schiano, he will probably keep McNulty so we won't have to eat his contract. It's crystal clear - bring back Schiano!

I'm like you now. Schiano has his major flaws but he knows what needs to be done. And as you said if he brings someone like Wilson in we will have a dynamic offense and excellent defense.

Amazing how many of our posters know what Greg knows and also know thathe will lead RU FB to the promised land once again.

Instead of drinking that kool aid I’d like to conduct a fair search on a nationwide basis to include all potential candidates as our next hc.

But if Hobbs wants to salvage the existing season ticket fan base then who else can he hire except Greg?

Everyone agrees..... at least until Schiano is hired and he announces that he has to stay at Ohio State until the end of their playoff run. That should help get things back to normal.

I guess the only question is whether Hobbs and the other powers that be also agree. At some point, Hobbs is going to have to say something about Ash's job status and when he speaks it's going to be very interesting.

Reactions: BlockR
Amazing how many of our posters know what Greg knows and also know thathe will lead RU FB to the promised land once again.

Instead of drinking that kool aid I’d like to conduct a fair search on a nationwide basis to include all potential candidates as our next hc.

But if Hobbs wants to salvage the existing season ticket fan base then who else can he hire except Greg?
Maybe he can convince Gruden to leave the Raiders because outside of him, GS will move the needle more than any realistic possibility

Barchi was there on Saturday. I don’t think he is anti Athletics, I just think he is not focused on it.
Was this him gesturing to Ash at the end of the first half?
tenor.gif

Reactions: RUnTeX
Pretend gs comes here. Are y’all patient enough to wait 5 years for a winning season? Ready for all the process talk? His first 5 years of recruiting classes were ranked 51, 61, 36, 49, 59.
Yes ! Yes ! Look at us now, where are we going ?

Your post is what any smart business person would look at. The school needs to start treating football like a business and start using some forward thinking instead of just seeing the dollar and cents in front of them.

How many season ticket holders have we lost since Schiano left? Now how many of those have fond memories from his stint here? What would be a reasonable expectation of those returning to being season ticket holders if Schiano was hired? How many current season ticket holders would retain or increase their ticket allotments? Now what would be the estimated cost of keeping Ash knowing season tickets are going to diminish next year do to lack of interest?

My guess if those projected numbers come to just over 5,000 season tickets you make the move. Last year to this we lost 1,500 season tickets. After this debacle I'm sure that number will rise into the 2,500 hundred range this year to next. Would those 2,500 keep their tickets with the hire of Schiano? Would another 2,500 to 3,000 join the cause. These are the questions the administration should be asking. But I'm positive they're not and are just looking at we owe $9.8 mil..

Last edited:
Barchi was there on Saturday.

Pics or GTFO....lol

I don’t think he is anti Athletics, I just think he is not focused on it.

How dare he...you mean, actually letting his AD do the job of focusing on athletics?

I get that he could be more visible on the athletics front but if it's not his style, then it just isn't. Like you said, it doesn't mean he is necessarily anti-athletics or doesn't recognize the role it can play in helping to advertise the university.

Reactions: RRRRUUUU
Schiano is an alpha dog. He has a presence. He walks into a room and all eyes head in his direction.

He isn't the only coach with that kind of charisma and presence, but he is probably the only one that could take this job and convince people he likes it here and intends to stay here.

Question. Are we currently still paying for any buyouts for any other old coaches/admins? Flood, Julie, Eddie Jordan?

I'm not sure how realistic it is for Rutgers to buy out Ash right, especially if we aren't even done paying off old mistake hires.

Question. Are we currently still paying for any buyouts for any other old coaches/admins? Flood, Julie, Eddie Jordan?

I'm not sure how realistic it is for Rutgers to buy out Ash right, especially if we aren't even done paying off old mistake hires.
Those coaches and Miss Politically Correct hire(settlement reported) have all been paid off. The loan helped athletics achieve that goal this year.

Last edited:
"I got so much help from these players, and from the coaching staff, [co-offensive coordinator] Kevin Wilson and [defensive coordinator] Greg Schiano," Day said. "What Greg Schiano's done for me in the last month is something I'll never forget. He's the classiest person I've ever been around in the coaching profession, the way he's handled himself, helping me along the way, counseling me on day-to-day stuff.

Unclear from publicly available information. It appears that Flood will cease being paid in the coming months, if that hasn't happened already. Herman's contract would have ended in June 2018, and Jordan's contract appears that it would have expired at the end of last basketball season, so those payments should have already concluded.

https://www.nj.com/education/2018/08/rutgers_golden_parachutes_top_11_million_see_the_c.html

Reactions: NotInRHouse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT