ADVERTISEMENT

I’ll relent on Schiano

I got off a cruise the day before the season opener. Was waiting for my ride at the Bayonne Passenger Terminal and I saw a guy sitting there with a Rutgers cap on. So I asked him if he was going to the game the next day. He said absolutely not. He was an AD at a local high school and an alum and said he would not attend another Rutgers game as long as Ash was coach. I asked why not? He said the difference in Rutgers recruiting was night and day from Schiano. He said Schiano was a gentleman and made an effort to meet face to face with as many HS coaches as he could. On the other hand, this guy has never even met Ash and it's going on three years.

Yeah, just one AD's opinion. But at the very least, it shows that even over 7 years later Schiano is still held in high regard by some NJ coaches.

If they hire Schiano I promise to buy more season tickets!
Well they wouldn't lose any from my group of 9. As it stands now 7 of those 9 are out, only me and my wife are going to be left standing.(not losing years of investment) 8 of the 9(my future wife came into the picture much later) all started when Greg was hired. One in our group started all this, as he played with Greg in high school and was sure he would get it done. While the rest were all skeptical and scoffed at the idea, decided to start our season ticket journey together. Hire Greg and those 7 stay.

If the next guy isn't GS, I certainly hope the Schiano crowd will give the new HC their full support for at least a few years while he tries to fix the mess left by Flood and Ash. This will not be an overnight process and it will not help the situation if after every lost recruit and game to have the message board light up with the I told you so's and that Schiano is the only one who could have saved the program.

I still don’t want him but RU simply can’t swing and miss again. He has major flaws but also some great attributes that will help day 1. If he would being Kevin wilson as his OC/AHC I’d actually be excited. Wilson makes 800 a year and is obviously not the guy at OSU
Maybe he can bring Urban Meyer too?
Only kidding! Good thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
If the next guy isn't GS, I certainly hope the Schiano crowd will give the new HC their full support for at least a few years while he tries to fix the mess left by Flood and Ash. This will not be an overnight process and it will not help the situation if after every lost recruit and game to have the message board light up with the I told you so's and that Schiano is the only one who could have saved the program.
This fan base was over the top accepting Ash, they will be over the top when he is gone.

Maybe he can convince Gruden to leave the Raiders because outside of him, GS will move the needle more than any realistic possibility

The only other two mildly realistic names I could conceive of are Bielema and Charlie Strong and not sure if either would be interested. If they are I would talk to them, otherwise just bring GS back.

Everyone agrees..... at least until Schiano is hired and he announces that he has to stay at Ohio State until the end of their playoff run. That should help get things back to normal.

I guess the only question is whether Hobbs and the other powers that be also agree. At some point, Hobbs is going to have to say something about Ash's job status and when he speaks it's going to be very interesting.

I was thinking today, I am more than happy to return to GS level thread squabbles like "We did not beat X by enough points" or "What bowl are we going to" or ones about 4 stars where there is a chance of committing.

I am not sure about Hobbs. I am concerned that GS was not hired in 15 because Hobbs figured GS would run the show. But I think Hobbs knows something must be done or revenue is going down a lot.

Looking at Arkansas right now Bielema would probably be a risk not worth taking.

It's a fair point, but he was something like 68-24 in the B1G without the 4 and 5 stars of UM and tOSU. Not familiar enough with Arky. Mostly just that I would consider someone else who has coached at the p5 level and won- barring that GS should be #1 choice.

I got off a cruise the day before the season opener. Was waiting for my ride at the Bayonne Passenger Terminal and I saw a guy sitting there with a Rutgers cap on. So I asked him if he was going to the game the next day. He said absolutely not. He was an AD at a local high school and an alum and said he would not attend another Rutgers game as long as Ash was coach. I asked why not? He said the difference in Rutgers recruiting was night and day from Schiano. He said Schiano was a gentleman and made an effort to meet face to face with as many HS coaches as he could. On the other hand, this guy has never even met Ash and it's going on three years.

Yeah, just one AD's opinion. But at the very least, it shows that even over 7 years later Schiano is still held in high regard by some NJ coaches.
Sounds a lot like what was being said about Shea when it came to his dealings with NJ FB HC Coaches.

Les Miles has been out of coaching for 2 years and though 64 is a name to be considered.
The money offered will probably keep him away even if he would be interested in the job.
Age (64) also a drawback.

So for names that would jump-start excitement with the hire , Greg's name is probably the best of those who would take the job and energize the fanbase.

Wow...is this board going to near unanimity again within the week?

Seems like everyone wants Ash gone.

Is everyone down with Greg coming back? I feel like the naysayers have come around or are quiet.

That would really be something.

A quick way to divide the board or lose support for your position is to rub peoples face in their decision to change their mind and support your cause / point of view. Plenty of people in this thread have said they came around.

Lesson for football message boards, business or relationships.

GS’s goal in life at this time is to be the boss again.
He desperately wants the chance again for many reasons, and it must be soon.
He knows he’s aging, he knows no AD will take a chance on him, he knows RU is the only place he can go.
Unfinished business is the last reason for him, it’ll make a good headline though, he’s very secure in the knowledge he turned RU around, he has no doubt he could do it again.
He’s envious of the great coaches in the country...he wants to be considered a miracle worker again.
He wants to be the BOSS, any man with determination and drive wants that,
One thing, you need to ask him!

Zappa nails it

If we call....and offer him the right contract ..he is here

Greg is the only guy who is a name coach ..that will come here. Period

Everyone else is a risk.

The worse case with Greg is that he gets us to 6-6/7-5 program program ...And there is upside to what he can do

Reactions: rubigtimenow
GS’s goal in life at this time is to be the boss again.
He desperately wants the chance again for many reasons, and it must be soon.
He knows he’s aging, he knows no AD will take a chance on him, he knows RU is the only place he can go.
Unfinished business is the last reason for him, it’ll make a good headline though, he’s very secure in the knowledge he turned RU around, he has no doubt he could do it again.
He’s envious of the great coaches in the country...he wants to be considered a miracle worker again.
He wants to be the BOSS, any man with determination and drive wants that,
One thing, you need to ask him!

Zappa nails it

If we call....and offer him the right contract ..he is here

Greg is the only guy who is a name coach ..that will come here. Period

Everyone else is a risk.

The worse case with Greg is that he gets us to 6-6/7-5 program program ...And there is upside to what he can do
agreed

A quick way to divide the board or lose support for your position is to rub peoples face in their decision to change their mind and support your cause / point of view. Plenty of people in this thread have said they came around.

Lesson for football message boards, business or relationships.

I am not rubbing it in anyone's face. I get the criticisms of GS I just think they are misplaced and I am glad that people realize he is the most sensible option.

Now the people who supported Flood, I don't know how they look at themselves in the mirror :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I was thinking today, I am more than happy to return to GS level thread squabbles like "We did not beat X by enough points" or "What bowl are we going to" or ones about 4 stars where there is a chance of committing.

I am not sure about Hobbs. I am concerned that GS was not hired in 15 because Hobbs figured GS would run the show. But I think Hobbs knows something must be done or revenue is going down a lot.
To be fair by all accounts Hobbs wasn't involved with Schiano not being considered. That was more of a Brown deal. There is no bad blood between those two. It was just not the perfect time. Now is the perfect time.

Pics or GTFO....lol

How dare he...you mean, actually letting his AD do the job of focusing on athletics?

I get that he could be more visible on the athletics front but if it's not his style, then it just isn't. Like you said, it doesn't mean he is necessarily anti-athletics or doesn't recognize the role it can play in helping to advertise the university.
Boom!

I hate seeing the kids lose but part of me wouldn’t mind if we hit absolute rock bottom this year and brought back Schiano.

You know he’s paying attention to what’s happening and I’m sure it pains him in a way to see what Flood, and now Ash have done to his program and all of the sweat and hard work he put into building this place.

Hitting rock bottom (whatever that is) would work in our favor. We all know the size of his ego and he would be able to bring us back to respectability way sooner than it took we him before with the BIG, facilities and relationships he has back in NJ and Florida.

I’m all for bringing back Schiano. We need each other!

beginning of last year I was shouted down when I said he's not loved by many hs coaches.

To be fair by all accounts Hobbs wasn't involved with Schiano not being considered. That was more of a Brown deal. There is no bad blood between those two. It was just not the perfect time. Now is the perfect time.

What is the bad blood?

We may be at rock bottom with Ash. With Schiano it could be different. The BTN guys were gushing at the beginning of the season how our offensive line is now Big Ten size. This was never the case when Schiano was here. Might just be a matter of change of motivation or any other number of factors. I think Schiano can come in and get the most out of what's here without having to do a total teardown. He'd obviously be comfortable with McNulty. One thing for sure, there won't be any discussion of the team quitting on him.

Schiano put his guys in the Pros but his teams always fell short but compared to this ongoing nightmare he would work just fine. My only caveat continues to be that Rice and Greene were dropped in his lap at the last moment and without them we don't have our Louisville epihany.

Reactions: redking

If a football coach is successful, he will be running the show at any school. Hobbs should know this.

Reactions: NotInRHouse

GS is currently recruiting, so those relationships should be fresh.

My biggest problem was his involvement in the offense. At this point I think he would give McNulty the keys and let him run the O.

I wanted a few others, but am coming around to seeing that GS is our surest bet to get back to 6-7 win seasons.

Time to re-resuscitate the program, GS.

So Hobbs, shine that "block R" scarlet spotlight up into Gotham's nighttime sky.

Situation dire. Our program is in peril. We need a hero. It's time.

Like VKJ, I would relent too. But, that only reflects just how crappy the current situation is.
Schiano and his 6 win ceiling would be light years ahead of Ash. The problem is, He would only be the life raft....We would still need someone else to pull us in at some point.

At this point, Hobbs has to make it perfectly clear to Ash that he needs to wake the fux up. Tell him we are not afraid to fire his ass and eat his contract even prior to the year end. Fux- I lay it out to him for this week- we have to have over 400 yds and they have to have under 400yds. Who wins, does not even matter so much. At least show something, anything. You just cant have an excuse for 3 years of being the worst offense in the nation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT