ADVERTISEMENT

If Schiano is Going to Demand Everything, He Has to Commit to Something

Caliknight

Legend
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2001
There needs to be more than just making demands and taking the job. There needs to be triggers built in where revenue is created. Shared goals.

People here are bragging about buying season tix again if he is hired. Great. How many will Greg sell and how much revenue will that create? Extra people means ad sales will go up. Great. How much revenue will be generated by ad sales. Attendance will go up because we are winning. How many wins are you committing to and what will that attendance be because of it?

I would be willing to entertain Greg's demands on some sort of sliding timeline, but not if he isn't willing to be a part of the path to get there. He needs to have real skin in the game. I'd first start with his $4MM salary demand.

Simply accepting the job and making demands is not acceptable at this point in time. There are too many other coaches out there. His prospects for a p5 head job are exactly 1.

That’s fair. But what he is simply saying, “I want to take this job because I believe we can contend for national championships, but only if we do X, Y & Z. Do those things and I am in”?

If he is saying that is what we need I am inclined to believe him. You know yourself from MLAX it’s an arms race to get the best talent and facilities are a huge component of that. Frankly I am skeptical that any coach that would take this job and NOT demand those things is capable of getting the job done and would not cost us even more money in the long run by failing to drive needed improvements and on the field forcing us back to square one again.

I am also a fan of reciprocal commitment but GS has more options than you give credit. We may be his only current HC opportunity but the man has made over $40mm in his coaching career and I’m sure he can afford to take a year or two off should he choose. If / when he decides to get back into coaching, there are very few programs that would not take him in a heartbeat as DC. He may even have some HC opportunities, as he has a lot of well connected friends.

In the end, facilities upgrades for FB and ultimately successful a FB will have direct positive impact on all sports if done correctly. The Rodkin Center is mainly being built to support FB but other sports will benefit as well. FB has long wanted other sports out of the Hale center, and this gives the opportunity to do that by moving them to their own space within the new building. Win/win across the board. And a winning Rutgers FB (and MBB) program in the B1G, with our market, should be self sustaining financially. That means any institutional funding towards athletics will go towards non-rev sports.

That’s fair. But what he is simply saying, “I want to take this job because I believe we can contend for national championships, but only if we do X, Y & Z. Do those things and I am in”?

If he is saying that is what we need I am inclined to believe him. You know yourself from MLAX it’s an arms race to get the best talent and facilities are a huge component of that. Frankly I am skeptical that any coach that would take this job and NOT demand those things is capable of getting the job done and would not cost us even more money in the long run by failing to drive needed improvements and on the field forcing us back to square one again.

I am also a fan of reciprocal commitment but GS has more options than you give credit. We may be his only current HC opportunity but the man has made over $40mm in his coaching career and I’m sure he can afford to take a year or two off should he choose. If / when he decides to get back into coaching, there are very few programs that would not take him in a heartbeat as DC. He may even have some HC opportunities, as he has a lot of well connected friends.

In the end, facilities upgrades for FB and ultimately successful a FB will have direct positive impact on all sports if done correctly. The Rodkin Center is mainly being built to support FB but other sports will benefit as well. FB has long wanted other sports out of the Hale center, and this gives the opportunity to do that by moving them to their own space within the new building. Win/win across the board. And a winning Rutgers FB (and MBB) program in the B1G, with our market, should be self sustaining financially. That means any institutional funding towards athletics will go towards non-rev sports.

I think it's pretty simple to say give me a new $100MM facility and I will win more.

There isn't a coach in any sport in the country that wouldn't want that.

We are Rutgers. It took the biggest campaign ever to get to $100MM. GS got virtually everything he asked for last time he was here and delivered a runner up in a watered down Big East.

All I am saying is if we are going to pay top market rates and willing to spend $100MM on a brand new facility, I'd expect a bigger name than a flame out in the NFL and former defensive coordinator in college. His history here is just that. History.

With that on offer, it opens up a different pool of candidates imo.

If it is Schiano, what is he going to commit to in order for us to get there? You want $100MM and a salary that isn't commensurate with your current experience. Great. What are you agreeing to so that we can generate the revenue to warrant such massive investment? It's a fair question.

I'd give him what he wants, but structure the contract based around milestones that he is committing to. If they aren't reached, too bad.

If I were just willing to give it to him, I'd set my sights much higher.

Never negotiate from weakness! When the RU faithful, people like Politi, and others demand Schiano at ALL cost, that's not a position of strength folks. Of course Schiano wants the farm, we already told him he can have it. And,, the truth of the matter is, Schiano has never been a winner, anywhere! Yes, he put Rutgers on the map. Yes, he helped build the stadium, improved facilities. And yes, we went to Bowls in Canada, mostly because we beat up on teams, that Kean University could probably beat. Being in the BIG those patsies are no longer available. So, careful before you let the Fox into the hen house, again. The last we did that the Fox took all the Chickens with him, as he left......

There needs to be more than just making demands and taking the job. There needs to be triggers built in where revenue is created. Shared goals.

People here are bragging about buying season tix again if he is hired. Great. How many will Greg sell and how much revenue will that create? Extra people means ad sales will go up. Great. How much revenue will be generated by ad sales. Attendance will go up because we are winning. How many wins are you committing to and what will that attendance be because of it?

I would be willing to entertain Greg's demands on some sort of sliding timeline, but not if he isn't willing to be a part of the path to get there. He needs to have real skin in the game. I'd first start with his $4MM salary demand.

Simply accepting the job and making demands is not acceptable at this point in time. There are too many other coaches out there. His prospects for a p5 head job are exactly 1.
So the guy shouldn't look for assurances or a commitment from Rutgers Administration his second go around? Remember this is a guy who was told his next contract would be for less money and his assistant salary pool would be reduced in order to reduce the subsidy.

I think he has every right to make sure the RU Administration is committed to the cause this go around. He's seen their lack of commitment first hand before. Now if his demands or timelines to complete such demands are wildly outrageous that's a different story. Giving him the tools required to succeed is not wildly outrageous.

Last edited:
Everything he is asking for will benefit the university the most. If he fails, the job will look better for the next guy. Unlike now. We all should be more concern if he just demand a higher salary and no facilities.

So, careful before you let the Fox into the hen house, again. The last we did that the Fox took all the Chickens with him, as he left......
And the Fox fixed up the hen house before he left. Leaving it in better shape then when he found it. Not the Fox's fault the Farmer decided to buy pigs and stick them in the hen house where they proceeded to level it to the ground.

So the guy shouldn't look for assurances or a commitment from RU Administration his second go around? Remember this is a guy who was told his next contract would be for less money and his assistant salary pool would be reduced in order to reduce the subsidy.

I think he has every right to make sure the RU Administration is committed to the cause this go around. He's seen their lack of commitment first hand before. Now if his demands or timelines to complete such demands are wildly outrageous that's a different story. Giving him the tools required to succeed is not wildly outrageous.

The $4MM figure that's been reported shoots a hole in that.

Anyone is going to want best in class facilities. If we are simply "giving the man what he wants", let's reallllly go all in. Give those things to a better, more accomplished coach.

And the Fox fixed up the hen house before he left. Leaving it in better shape then when he found it. Not the Fox's fault the Farmer decided to buy pigs and stick them in the hen house where they proceeded to level it to the ground.
LOL, nice. But, we are asking the Fox to the house he helped build(still there), and get more hens, kick out the pigs, as the Fox rebuilds not only the Farms reputation, but his own as well. Your turn.

Reactions: koleszar
I’m not the biggest Schiano fan but I’m more than ok with him getting the job. I love the fact that he is demanding things. He knows that’s the only way he’ll get any tools to be competitive around here. It’s like the Wilpons run Rutgers athletics.

Everything he is asking for will benefit the university the most. If he fails, the job will look better for the next guy. Unlike now. We all should be more concern if he just demand a higher salary and no facilities.

Schiano's biggest pay day was $3MM at Tampa Bay.

His demand of $4MM is in no way beneficial to the University.

LOL, nice. But, we are asking the Fox to the house he helped build(still there), and get more hens, kick out the pigs, as the Fox rebuilds not only the Farms reputation, but his own as well. Your turn.
The Fox will lure horses and mules to the Farm raising it's profile and profits, so the Farmer can build that new barn he desires.

Reactions: RUScrew85
I think it's pretty simple to say give me a new $100MM facility and I will win more.

There isn't a coach in any sport in the country that wouldn't want that.

We are Rutgers. It took the biggest campaign ever to get to $100MM. GS got virtually everything he asked for last time he was here and delivered a runner up in a watered down Big East.

All I am saying is if we are going to pay top market rates and willing to spend $100MM on a brand new facility, I'd expect a bigger name than a flame out in the NFL and former defensive coordinator in college. His history here is just that. History.

With that on offer, it opens up a different pool of candidates imo.

If it is Schiano, what is he going to commit to in order for us to get there? You want $100MM and a salary that isn't commensurate with your current experience. Great. What are you agreeing to so that we can generate the revenue to warrant such massive investment? It's a fair question.

I'd give him what he wants, but structure the contract based around milestones that he is committing to.

If I were just willing to give it to him, I'd set my sights much higher.
I don’t disagree, but who? What big name coaches are going to come here that are a surer bet than Greg? If they are that good they already have a job with a program already providing that level of support and can afford to match anything we can offer. Or they have never done it at this level and no other bigger name programs are willing to take a chance on them.

And I think you under sell the job that GS did while was heard by focusing solely on whether he won a BE championship, which certainly is a mark against him. But by every tangible metric - from wins & losses, to bowl games to ticket sales to revenue to recruiting - the program was far better than at any point before or since. I think you’d agree that Brecht is doing a better job than any other coach in RU history (including Hayes), however some would counter that he also has the benefit of institutional support the likes of which no other RU lax coach has ever received, yet he still has net made the NCAAs after year 8. You and I both know there’s a lot more to it than that, but it’s a similar argument.

Not saying someone else couldn’t get it done, in just struggling to see who we could realistically get that is a surer thing and/or has a better resume.

Schiano's biggest pay day was $3MM at Tampa Bay.

His demand of $4MM is in no way beneficial to the University.
If it were just about the salary, pay him $4 mill and be done. Fleck just signed an extension at $4.75 / year. I don’t know about you but I’ll take Schiano all day long over Fleck. Any established coach is going to come with a similar price tag.

Reactions: hiwater
I don’t disagree, but who? What big name coaches are going to come here that are a surer bet than Greg? If they are that good they already have a job with a program already providing that level of support and can afford to match anything we can offer. Or they have never done it at this level and no other bigger name programs are willing to take a chance on them.

And I think you under sell the job that GS did while was heard by focusing solely on whether he won a BE championship, which certainly is a mark against him. But by every tangible metric - from wins & losses, to bowl games to ticket sales to revenue to recruiting - the program was far better than at any point before or since. I think you’d agree that Brecht is doing a better job than any other coach in RU history (including Hayes), however some would counter that he also has the benefit of institutional support the likes of which no other RU lax coach has ever received, yet he still has net made the NCAAs after year 8. You and I both know there’s a lot more to it than that, but it’s a similar argument.

Not saying someone else couldn’t get it done, in just struggling to see who we could realistically get that is a surer thing and/or has a better resume.

That's the AD's job, but as of this point in time, GS is a retired defensive coordinator from OSU, which by the way, and this is important, the current OSU head coach spoke openly of completely overhauling his defense this year having not liked what he saw last year.

Now, GS has some cache in these parts, and that's warranted, but he isn't the only coach out there. You dangle $4MM in salary, and increased pool for assistants, and $100MM for facility upgrades, that job starts looking a lot better.

I'd start with Les Miles. Not sure what demands he made to go to Kansas but his salary is $2.7MM. His resume and accomplishment dwarfs Schiano's by a country mile.

The Fox will lure horses and mules to the Farm raising it's profile and profits, so the Farmer can build that new barn he desires.
Unfortunately, the mules, horses, will get together with the chickens, and pigs, start a revolution, and all will share in the profits, as they roast the Fox...

If it were just about the salary, pay him $4 mill and be done. Fleck just signed an extension at $4.75 / year. I don’t know about you but I’ll take Schiano all day long over Fleck. Any established coach is going to come with a similar price tag.

Les Miles. $2.7MM/yr.

Reactions: RU Golfer

Ill sit back and let you run with this one. Totally agree. Partnership required.

If Greg is demanding some $100mil. Investment to go with the 9 mil salaries then I say screw that. Take a $25mm of that 100mil and go pay a coach like Urban $10 a yr to come here. Better bet on winning and ROI.

He wants to play that leverage of being the only one I say rutgers should play that card and see who shows interest.

Last edited:
Cali I agree with you but due to the stink on this job I think it’s GS, Butch Jones and a bunch of unknowns. We kind of have to overpay given how bad this has been mismanaged.

4M is 9-10th in the B1G for a HC btw

I guarantee you that if Hobbs starts advertising $100MM in new investment and $4MM in salary with increases for the assistant pool, that job looks waaay different. And by different, I mean better than Greg Schiano.

I'll simplify this thread for everyone. Schiano comes, the football program gets the funding it deserves over all the programs that suck from its teat.

Sorry, that means Men's Lacrosse and other olympic sports aren't getting the immediate love some people want. Though I don't know why because it seems those olympic sports have gotten facilities and support galore since Hobbs has been here.

I'll simplify this thread for everyone. Schiano comes, the football program gets the funding it deserves over all the programs that suck from its teat.

Sorry, that means Men's Lacrosse and other olympic sports aren't getting the immediate love some people want. Though I don't know why because it seems those olympic sports have gotten facilities galore since Hobbs has been here.

No program has sucked more from a teat than football. Have you seen the subsidy?

Reactions: Unionst
That's the AD's job, but as of this point in time, GS is a retired defensive coordinator from OSU, which by the way, and this is important, the current OSU head coach spoke openly of completely overhauling his defense this year having not liked what he saw last year.

Now, GS has some cache in these parts, and that's warranted, but he isn't the only coach out there. You dangle $4MM in salary, and increased pool for assistants, and $100MM for facility upgrades, that job starts looking a lot better.

I'd start with Les Miles. Not sure what demands he made to go to Kansas but his salary is $2.7MM. His resume and accomplishment dwarfs Schiano's by a country mile.

Kansas just built $300M in facilities. Do you really think he’s coming here for our BS facilities? Get with the program.

Reactions: Rufaninga
Kansas just built $300M in facilities. Do you really think he’s coming here for our BS facilities? Get with the program.

They were building those before he got there. And he still went there for $2.7MM

Al going negative... this is a first!

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
So the guy shouldn't look for assurances or a commitment from Rutgers Administration his second go around? Remember this is a guy who was told his next contract would be for less money and his assistant salary pool would be reduced in order to reduce the subsidy.

Quid Pro Quo.....

No program has sucked more from a teat than football. Have you seen the subsidy?

It takes money to make money. Greg seems to be asking for the investment Rutgers should have made when it joined the Big East (little i) so it could operate like an actual BCS program. I think the school will meet this demand and good days are ahead for all of us. The standard he's trying to lift us to with this negotiation will ultimately raise the amount of dollars the football program brings in, which in turn will help support all the other sports. All of our peers are operating at the level that Greg is asking for, from Maryland to Northwestern to freaking Kansas.

If he's paid $4 million that will be the 10th salary in the B1G by the way, 10th out of 14.

I would've wanted Les Miles last year too, but don't jump to quick conclusions about him. Like others pointed out, he's on his way to 3-9 after his predecessor went 3-9. Between him and Greg, who I'm pretty sure is a bit younger, I'd put my money on Greg since he's done it here before. The unique situation in NJ is something Miles would not have immediately understood, we'll never know what would've happened if we hired him a year ago. No other schools wanted Miles either for the years he was unemployed, just saying.

Reactions: MidwestKnights
It takes money to make money. Greg seems to be asking for the investment Rutgers should have made when it joined the Big East (little i) so it could operate like an actual BCS program. I think the school will meet this demand and good days are ahead for all of us. The standard he's trying to lift us to with this negotiation will ultimately raise the amount of dollars the football program brings in, which in turn will help support all the other sports. All of our peers are operating at the level that Greg is asking for, from Maryland to Northwestern to freaking Kansas.

If he's paid $4 million that will be the 10th salary in the B1G by the way, 10th out of 14.

I would've wanted Les Miles last year too, but don't jump to quick conclusions about him. Like others pointed out, he's on his way to 3-9 after his predecessor went 3-9. Between him and Greg, who I'm pretty sure is a bit younger, I'd put my money on Greg since he's done it here before. The unique situation in NJ is something Miles would not have immediately understood, we'll never know what would've happened if we hired him a year ago. No other schools wanted Miles either for the years he was unemployed, just saying.

Like I said, spend more than and get a sure thing.

I am all for going all in.

I say we do that. We are half way there with Greg's demands. Increase the salary to $8MM and commit to $150MM in upgrades and really go for it. No need to half ass it at that point.

Urban Meyer on line one. Bob Stoops on line two.
Or they can go to USC or FSU and get all of that and more. Try 15mm and 200mm and we might get a call back.

Like I said, spend more than and get a sure thing.

I get that logic, I really do.

4 million isn't bringing anyone better here. Like I said, it's still 10th in a 14 team league. The better candidates, ie Dave Clawson, Urban Meyer, maybe Mike Norvell, are not coming to coach at Rutgers. They're on to bigger and better things. I think 4 million brings us Butch Jones at best, or then we're talking Lance Leipold types.

Greg comes in with the relationships already built, the experience of knowing what it takes here at Rutgers, and the advantage of telling people he's done it once before, he'll do it again. It's hard to argue anyone out there is really better qualified. And anyone else realistically in our price range absolutely does not offer what Greg does.

I guess we disagree there. Success at LSU is a far cry from success at RU. Ed O is functionally retarded and has them at #1. I don’t think Miles would be a good fit here and we’d have to pay him the same money or more to leave KU.

No way would miles or Butch Jones spend the effort that Gs will in making Rutgers a winner. You can find people happy to take our money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT