ADVERTISEMENT

Immediate Local Area Recruiting Advantage

gordel1

Junior
Gold Member
Jul 18, 2006
Starting now, the RU staff can tell prospects that you will get a trip to LA every year, play in Pauley Pavillion, and have even more exposure media-wise. This should give RU an immediate advantage over any Big East program. Especially as the only NY/NJ/PHL program in the best conference in America. Now that notion can't really even be disputed when you take all the aforementioned factors into account.

Starting now, the RU staff can tell prospects that you will get a trip to LA every year, play in Pauley Pavillion, and have even more exposure media-wise. This should give RU an immediate advantage over any Big East program. Especially as the only NY/NJ/PHL program in the best conference in America. Now that notion can't really even be disputed when you take all the aforementioned factors into account.
No guarantee of a game out west annually. You play most conference teams once ( not home and home) so a LA trip would mean playing both UCLA and USC teams in same trip . Thus it ll be guaranteed every other year. We ll play both schools annually but my guess is alternate years home and home unless each becomes a team we play twice in any given year.

Not one kid is going to choose Rutgers because they can play in Pauley. Doubt that too many local kids know what it is. It's not like playing in the Big House in football. Rutgers and Seton Hall and St John's don't really go ahead to head in hoops but the MSG sell remains the huge Big East advantage. I go to plenty of recruiting jamborees and help run an All-Star Game. Kids continually discuss that. Xavier getting local kids is a prime example. The brands who recruit NJ with regularity,Duke,UConn,Kentucky are still brands and don't need to sell playing against a certain opponent, but instead can boast about NIL and NBA alumni players. It might help football. Don't see it in hoops,but hope I am wrong.Steve can sell himself and sell an incredible practice facility. That is where Cliff,Gavin,Paul and others derive from.

I think the addition will help basketball more than the other sports but not for that reason

Not one kid is going to choose Rutgers because they can play in Pauley. Doubt that too many local kids know what it is. It's not like playing in the Big House in football. Rutgers and Seton Hall and St John's don't really go ahead to head in hoops but the MSG sell remains the huge Big East advantage. I go to plenty of recruiting jamborees and help run an All-Star Game. Kids continually discuss that. Xavier getting local kids is a prime example. The brands who recruit NJ with regularity,Duke,UConn,Kentucky are still brands and don't need to sell playing against a certain opponent, but instead can boast about NIL and NBA alumni players. It might help football. Don't see it in hoops,but hope I am wrong.Steve can sell himself and sell an incredible practice facility. That is where Cliff,Gavin,Paul and others derive from.
Rutgers needs to market the hell out of playing in the preeminent sports conference. Who knows if the Big East even has a future?

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Villanova will continue to be the best mens basketball program in the northeast if the new head coach continues the prior recruiting success.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
It's not just the recruiting but the coaching. Jay excelled at both and would have been successful here, sparing a generation or two of RU fans the pain of the past two decades.

Reactions: wheezer
While I’m hopeful, me sense is this will allow new adds to recruit NJ top talent more easily with the prospect that they can see 1-3 games more locally each year.

Top three things that will drive recruiting of top talent

1. NIL
2. NIL
3. NIL
Winning at a high level is as important as the NIL which means schools like Duke,Kansas ,Kentucky and North Carolina will still dominate recruiting.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Again you are not in the NY or Philly market .You are in central Jersey. You should kiss the old Big ten commissioner (a jersey guy ) ass for selling the BIg 10 that you were in that market and a half dead star ledger pushing the same .

Again you are not in the NY or Philly market .You are in central Jersey. You should kiss the old Big ten commissioner (a jersey guy ) ass for selling the BIg 10 that you were in that market and a half dead star ledger pushing the same .
1k5ul4.gif

Lol good job and good luck with playing UCLA and USC especially in football . Take the big money and run .
After playing in the B1G East all these years I don't see these new teams that differently. Maybe SC will be in the same league as tOSU, PedSt and Mich because of NIL now, but ucla doesn't worry me. I'd bet our schedule won't have RU vs. SC and tOSU in the same season. Definitely helps Pikes in hoops recruiting. Good luck in the not-so-big east bro.

After playing in the B1G East all these years I don't see these new teams that differently. Maybe SC will be in the same league as tOSU, PedSt and Mich because of NIL now, but ucla doesn't worry me. I'd bet our schedule won't have RU vs. SC and tOSU in the same season. Definitely helps Pikes in hoops recruiting. Good luck in the not-so-big east bro.
Nova with Wright was holding that conference full of Catholic clown colleges up. We'll see how the Little East does ratings wise without Nova as a Final Four contender every 3-4 years.

Reactions: Scangg and wheezer
Nova with Wright was holding that conference full of Catholic clown colleges up. We'll see how the Little East does ratings wise without Nova as a Final Four contender every 3-4 years does.
Stick to talking sports and keep religion out of it. Do not want to go down that path. Big state schools vs. small private schools . The only thing we have in common is we are in the same state .

Reactions: Pirate 81
Stick to talking sports and keep religion out of it. Do not want to go down that path. Big state schools vs. small private schools . The only thing we have in common is we are in the same state .
Oooohhh, did I strike a nerve? Sorry you were too stupid to get into a real Catholic school like BC or ND. Enjoy your stay on our board, I'm sure you won't be here long.

Reactions: rutgersfan1766
Oooohhh, did I strike a nerve? Sorry you were too stupid to get into a real Catholic school like BC or ND. Enjoy your stay on our board, I'm sure you won't be here long.
You forgot Georgetown. Sounds like you could not get into Syracuse little matt !!! Stick to talking sports then I will respond .So stop with your clueless academic B S . Happy Fourth of July !!!!!!

You forgot Georgetown. Sounds like you could not get into Syracuse little matt !!! Stick to talking sports then I will respond .So stop with your clueless academic B S . Happy Fourth of July !!!!!!
First of all, I wouldn't waste my time in a shitbird school like Cuse. Secondly, how's this for sports: RU is 48th nationally and 9th in the B1G in Director's Cup, ahead of every Northeast power school not named Penn State and ahead of every Big East school, Shoe is 224th nationally in Director's Cup, ahead of only Marquette and DePaul in the Big East. Do you know what the Director's Cup is, or is your inferior SHU mind incapable of digesting those statistics?

Last edited:
No guarantee of a game out west annually. You play most conference teams once ( not home and home) so a LA trip would mean playing both UCLA and USC teams in same trip . Thus it ll be guaranteed every other year. We ll play both schools annually but my guess is alternate years home and home unless each becomes a team we play twice in any given year.
Correct but can still sell they will get there once or twice

I was not bashing the school . I was just saying that you really are not in a
NY or Philly market in my opinion . Then this billy guy starts with this Catholic clown colleges conference nonsense. I would rather read other inteligent sport posters on this board and their opinions but I get it . It also happens on our board . Pay the consquences when going on other school boards.

I never understood the logic of a recruiting selling point being you get to play vs this school . If the kid is good enough , he would just go play at that school if it mattered

Correct. Come on our board bashing us, you reap the consequences.

He came here trolling that RU doesn’t bring important media market(s). NJ is the 11th most populated state and 8th highest GDP (12th if looked at on per capita basis).

We don’t have to deliver a full share of either the NYC or Philly markets for us to be a powerhouse and still be a no brainer from a media perspective.

Not long ago, we were on the other side of this equation.

There’s no reason Rutgers fans can’t show class.

Reactions: silkcitypirate

So why are you here trolling then? It's a bad look to come in hot and flame another school's board. TBH...probably should be bannable.

PS.....Central NJ /NB is in the NY TV/Media market. It's fairly easy to look up, even for someone affilliated with Shoe.

So why are you here trolling then? It's a bad look to come in hot and flame another school's board. TBH...probably should be bannable.

PS.....Central NJ /NB is in the NY TV/Media market. It's fairly easy to look up, even for someone affilliated with Shoe.
Correct. New Brunswick is in the NYC media market. So is Seton Hall. Except SHU don't have a football team. We're the only FBS school with a football team in the NYC market.

I was just saying that you really are not in a
NY or Philly market in my opinion
You have an opinion, which is nice. Maps are your friend. Fact is that Rutgers-NB (as well as Rutgers-Nwk) is physically located within the NYC DMA, but not the Philadelphia DMA (only Rutgers-Camden for the latter). Glad we could clear that up so you don't have to opine about it in the future.

I never understood the logic of a recruiting selling point being you get to play vs this school . If the kid is good enough , he would just go play at that school if it mattered
I think the idea is for apples to apples comparisons it can give an edge. For example, Let’s say (completely hypothetical) NJ had the number one national recruit in the country next year. That kid is deciding between OSU and Alabama. One factor about OSU that might stand out as a relative perk would be the guarantee of a game opportunity back home at least every other year.

I was not bashing the school . I was just saying that you really are not in a
NY or Philly market in my opinion . Then this billy guy starts with this Catholic clown colleges conference nonsense. I would rather read other inteligent sport posters on this board and their opinions but I get it . It also happens on our board . Pay the consquences when going on other school boards.
But you're just obviously wrong and make no sense. It doesn't matter that Rutgers is physically located in central jersey. Why is that the slightest bit relevant?

It's the State University of NJ. That includes North and South Jersey.

The campus is only an hour from NYC anyway

Yes, I would guess that an LA trip would include say a Wed/Th game at one school and then a Sat/Sun game at the other school, with the visiting team staying in the area in between. Only way it makes sense for basketball with the time difference and travel times. I would guess something similar to that would be the case for most sports other than football (and likewise, a UCLA/USC trip to Rutgers & Penn State or Maryland before returning to the West Coast).

Or when Notre Dinero joins the Big Ten, they’ll get neutral site games in Dublin and Chicago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT