ADVERTISEMENT

Last time RU had 2 guys shoot 39%+ and 3 shoot 35%+ from 3, with 75+ 3pt attempts?

2022-2023 Cam, Paul and Oskar were all over 35%.
Okay true true! 😂.
I should have stated a minimum number of shots! I’ll edit my original post to include:
“Each with at least 75 three point attempts.”

Oskar had 33 and Paul had 54.

It is nice to have especially coming off a season that we shot EFG% of 43.5% for 357th out of 362 teams. PJ Hayes one season shot EFG% of 56% at USD, Martini a career 54.3%, Acuff 51% and Derkack at 49.5% is a major shooting upgrades from last year, where the only players to shoot above 50% was Oskar 51%, Cliff 51%, Austin Willliams 50% and Woolf 50%

Has this ever happened before what I believe will happen in the 2024-2025 season?

PJ Hayes
Zach Martini
Tyson Acuff
All 3 will shoot 35%+ from 3 with at least 75 attempts each.
They could collectively average 37-40%.
I LOVE IT!!
2012-2013 we had Mack & Seagers, but no 3rd shooter

2005-2006 Douby, Inman (38.9% on 72 3PA, so I guess technically this doesn't meet your criteria), Farmer (38%), Webb (36%)

2003-2004 almost with Douby, Webb (38%), Shields (37%)

A couple more near misses in the 90s, but the answer 1989-1990 with Lumpkin (44%), Duncan (43%), and Dadika (41%) (plus Savage 37% on 61 3pa)

2012-2013 we had Mack & Seagers, but no 3rd shooter

2005-2006 Douby, Inman (38.9% on 72 3PA, so I guess technically this doesn't meet your criteria), Farmer (38%), Webb (36%)

2003-2004 almost with Douby, Webb (38%), Shields (37%)

A couple more near misses in the 90s, but the answer 1989-1990 with Lumpkin (44%), Duncan (43%), and Dadika (41%) (plus Savage 37% on 61 3pa)

So it’s happened before, just not often and not in a long time!
That’s good info right there! Thanks!

I just looked up the first 3 to gauge the top guys and the overall team 3 pt shooting:

2012-2013. Yes, 1 elite, 1 good. Eli Carter 32%. Those 3 collectively 39% for 80% of the team’s 3s. Team volume relatively low at 13.5 3PA per game. I expect this year we will be better but 2012-2013 overall pretty good from 3.

2005-2006. 4 guys 36% or better, collectively 38.8%, and they took 87% of our 3s. As a team just over 19 3PA per game. That’s a very good 3 point shooting team! 2005-2006 will be tough to match but let’s see what we can do this year!

2003-2004. 3 guys 37% or better, collectively 39.2%, but only 75% of our 3s. As a team 19.9 3PA per game. Another good 3 point shooting team (but Herve at 28% with 102 attempts really brings down the team average).

I couldn’t easily find the stats from 1989-1990 but that’s 3 elite 3 pt shooters!

Our 3PA per game has to be something over 20 this year. Should be fun!!

Last edited:
Few things to consider
1. Obviously everything is on paper. Our entire roster has very little experience playing major conference basketball
2. DREB and defense is VERY important to Pike. VERY possible the "non good shooters" see more of the court than you think if they are the better defenders.

I still am going with the premise that JWill, Harper and Ace play the most minutes. My base case has that group in the high 20s or low 30s from 3.

Few things to consider
1. Obviously everything is on paper. Our entire roster has very little experience playing major conference basketball
2. DREB and defense is VERY important to Pike. VERY possible the "non good shooters" see more of the court than you think if they are the better defenders.

I still am going with the premise that JWill, Harper and Ace play the most minutes. My base case has that group in the high 20s or low 30s from 3.
I agree here, although I can see a world where Harper doesn't take a huge % of three's and shoots a little higher. We already know JWill doesn't take a high % of them, he should be between 30-32%. Ace is the x factor. I could see him being Gavin/Simpson from deep, or having all the hype come together this year and shoot 40%

Reactions: rubigtimenow
this team is built to complement and around Harper and Bailey and JWill to some extent. Mix of shooters and drive/slash players on O, with some of them also known to play D, albeit at mid-major leagues.

No shot-blocker as of now.

Hopefully guys will find and excel in their roles for the team to be successful.

Few things to consider

HS stats might not translate to college, but Ace shot in the low 40s and Harper in the mid-30s from three, while JW is mid-20s for his career so I'd expect low-mid-30s for the trio, as I'm hoping JW shoots less treys with the other guys on the floor, especially since he's nearly 50% from two for his career.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Few things to consider

I agree with everything you said.

However - the reason to be cautiously optimistic is Pike has generally had an extremely high success rate on the defensive end when it come to bringing in veteran seniors from smaller conferences.

Even the guys last year - Austin Williams, Noah - they weren’t unplayable on D. There’s a reason for this. 3-4 years of playing college ball for a real coach (not AAU ball) is bound to improve understanding on D I suspect that the guys that transferred out because of D (like Kiss) were probably better defenders by their senior year. It’s not like Yeboah or Cam were known for elite D. I think the experience matters - a lot. So I do believe we are well positioned in this respect.

Agee was the one glaring exception. He was unplayable on D as a senior transfer. I do believe this is the exception and not the rule though and more likely to occur with a center who simply lacks the physical build to play the interior, than any other position.

this team is built to complement and around Harper and Bailey and JWill to some extent. Mix of shooters and drive/slash players on O, with some of them also known to play D, albeit at mid-major leagues.

No shot-blocker as of now.

Hopefully guys will find and excel in their roles for the team to be successful.
They don’t have Cliff level shot blockers, but they will block some shots. Don’t let his body type fool you — Lathan Somerville is quick off his feet, has long arms, and did average 4.2 as a senior (compare to Cliff at 5.4). Bailey will block shots even from the 3/4 position. Ogbole will make a contribution on defense. As a team, they will be OK on that statistic.

Few things to consider

The actual rotation is never what the pre season expectations are.... so the only thing I know for sure is that whatever the general consensus is pre season won't be what we actually see

Most likely a player or two we expect to see more minutes plays their way lower in the rotation and a player or two expected towards the bottom plays their way into more time

Who is bringing ball up? Ball always in Dylan’s hands?
Will we be susceptible to the press?
Looks like Martini gets fair share of minutes as well.

I don’t think we will be susceptible to the press. Plenty of guards on this team who can handle the ball and there will be a lot of height on this team to pass over defenders. Dylan has great court vision as does Jeremiah. Hopefully teams that press Rutgers will be rewarded with a thunderous dunk with many from Ace or an open three from one of our gunners. Haven’t seen all the new players so I am not sure about team speed, but we will have size as the average height on the roster around 6-6, with the exception of Davis every non center will be between 6-4 and 6-8.

Ball handling is the one thing that won’t be an issue. Dylan is a good ball handler. J Will is fine. The two mid major transfers also played plenty of PG. We have a ton of ball handlers on the roster and two stars who scout as A+ transition players. I don’t think we’ll see much press as that’s the one area where youth wont much matter. Dylan and Ace should be able to make most teams pay for pressing in a transition press break.

Reactions: Scangg
Now I remember what a team that could shoot the basketball was like...

What a great year ! My first at RU. I thought it would be that way forever...
They could shoot but finished 18-17 playing in a much softer conference. They finished 11-7 in the A10. I remember the team and liked them but assume defense was weak by us and our opponents. This is Big 10 basketball. Much more physical and not always easy to get open looks.

💯

Dylan and Ace thrive in transition. Would much rather them attacking in the open floor compared to against a set half court defense

Yeah I doubt many teams try to press us. Ball handling doesn’t project to be an issue so what would be the point?

Reactions: Scangg
Yeah I doubt many teams try to press us. Ball handling doesn’t project to be an issue so what would be the point?
It wouldn't shocked to see teams press us, until we prove we make smart decisions when doubled. Agree, ball handling won't be an issue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT