ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling LIVE - Rutgers vs. Cornell Updates

I know this is a down year but we are wrestling against Cornell's B squad and getting hammered. This youth movement people keep talking about doesn't mean anything. Besides Alvarez who is there to be excited about? Maybe Aguilar? The last few recruiting classes haven't panned out and it's starting to catch up to them. Not good at all and Goodale better start figuring it out soon. Ashnault and Suriano are long gone. Season tickets will disappear real fast if we keep putting this type of product on the mat

Settle down... This is a dual meet, not the end of the world.... This may not be Cornell "A" team.. But they have quality depth... Difference has been 3rd period wrestling... Need to finish matches... But that's what happens with a young lineup...

Reactions: ChasRC69
Thought RU would take this one, but can’t win them all ... need to win a few, get experience and avoid injuries.

Second half of the dual kicking off at 165-lbs, as Brett Donner takes on Jakob Brindley.

Donner keeping the pressure on, and gets a stall call against Brindley. No one is able to score after three minutes, and Donner will start the second period on bottom after a 0-0 first.

Donner escapes, but he gives up a takedown shortly after. Donner then breaks free to tie the match at 2-2.

Period ends and Brindley goes on bottom to start the third.

Donner gives up a locking hands call from top, giving Brindley a 3-2 lead.

Brindley escapes, then takes down Donner to jump out in front 5-2. 33 seconds left in the period.

Period ends after a Donner escape, and Brindley wins 5-3.

18-3 Cornell

Joe Grello out to take on Milik Dawkins. He almost immediately takes Dawkins down on the edge to take an early 2-0 lead.

Can we get in Turley... there is literally no upside with Donner.. hate to say that

Grello rides out the entire period on top, racking up 2:40 of RT. He only leads 2-0, despite the dominant ride.

Dawkins wisely chooses neutral to start the second period.

Grello rides out the second period on top after his takedown, and now has almost 4:00 of RT.

Grello takes a 4-0 lead into the third period, where he will start on defense.

Grello escapes, now 5-0. A takedown and a rideout would give Grello the major decision.

Grello gives up a takedown, and will walk away with a 8-2 decision after an escape.

18 - 6 Cornell

Nice to see Joe take care of business and get a win. He was tough on top.

A battle of ranked freshman at 184, as No. 25 Billy Janzer takes on No. 23 John Loew

Janzer immediately gets a take, and cuts Loew after a 30 second ride. 2-1, Janzer, with 2:00 remaining in the first period.

Janzer with another take in the closing seconds of the first period! He takes a 4-1 lead into the second period.

Janzer chooses defense to start the second

Janzer putting on a clinic, as he takes down Loew again, cuts him, and gets another! 9-2 with a minute left in the second period.

Loew gets an escape, and the second period ends on the feet. Janzer up 9-3 heading into the third.

Loew chooses defense.

Janzer lets Loew go, and the score is now 9-4. Janzer has 1:07 of RT and there is 1:32 on the clock.

Janzer holds center, and closes out the match on his feet over No. 24 John Loew. I don't know if I can say this, but I'm going to anyway: Billy Janzer is my favorite Rutgers wrestler to watch.

Cornell leads 18-9 heading into 197

Great performance by Janzer! Picks up a nice ranked win. He is wrestling great!

Jordan Pagano now wrestling John Fagen at 197. Pagano gets a quick take to jump out in-front 2-0

ADVERTISEMENT