ADVERTISEMENT

March MatNess is ON ! NCAA Wrestling Tourney Thread :

The kid Richie Lewis beat in the November All Star match 2-0 is in the finals tonight. Just think where Richie would have been?
I think he would have had a great chance at wrestling 2nite. He also beat Berger and a few other guys who were ranked high. Doubt he beats Nolf but who does? Hopefully he comes back with same desire next year and heathy think he has great shot to be right there

Reactions: Leonard23
With Ashnault too it's obviously a styles thing. He beat Meredith who owns Jack. I think you need to be more of a scrambler to wrestle with Heil and Jack. They are too solid fundamentally to beat the traditional way.

I don't see how anybody could have expected that to happen this year. Last season they finished 5th at B1G's and 15th at nationals with a veteran team. This year they had a true Frosh at 125, a huge loss in Richie Lewis getting injured, a revolving door at 165 and 174, a true Frosh at 197 and a question mark at HWT. "The next step" will be taken by 16, 17, 18 recruiting classes.
I think next year we will have 4 serious AA candidates. Gravina and DelVecchio have a great shot at AA after this years preformance. Ashnault and Lewis have a great shot at placing high. That would be some serious progress right there.

Everyone realizes that it a tough tournament and just not making it is an accomplishment. That doesn't mean you can't evaluate their performance. I am sure AA would agree that he had a bad tournament especially in the wrestles backs. At what point do you start expecting more than participation ribbons? If you think this is the best that Rutgers can do then I can understand. However I don't think you will find many inside the program who is pleased with finishing 19th and 9th out of B1G schools. I think many were looking forward to seeing the program take the next step but it didn't happen this year.
9th out of the B1G teams is pretty consistent with the B1G tourney ... so you can say the team is 8th or 9th best in the B1G ... Did not watch today, but shocked Ash lost 3 ... I expected 3rd before the tourney ... It's awesome that we have a 3x AA, but 6th place after being in the semis ... Is what it is ... Thrilled for Theo ... Thanks for some great highlights!!!!

Not a good day for Ash. 3x AA aside, I noticed top wrestlers being well coached against Ash. They all have good defense against the ankle pick, and when Ash is on top, they defend very well against the tilt. Clearly, the main difference b/w Ash and the wrestling elites (IMart, Nolf, Bo, etc) is that Ash does not have other elite moves like them, so if you are good enough to defend against variations of ankle picks and not get your wrist controlled from the bottom, there's no other elite moves Ash can execute against top wrestlers. He has one more year, so I'm hoping he comes back next season with some other sick moves.

How the hell was that overly critical? He took 4th last year, this year he took 6th and lost to the eight seed. I'm sure if you ask Ashnault he would say he didn't have a good tournament. I think he's better, apparently you think this is his ceiling. So yea it's a disappointment that he finished 6th, he's better than that. That's not overly critical.

And where have I been overly critical before? What that we need to get stronger or as a team show a greater sense of urgency to get out from bottom. Both trouble spots in this tourney. Or the wing dinger that Delvecchio could have beat his kid if he had only wrestled the whole match like the last minute. Sorry, but your being overly sensitive.

It is hard as hell to AA once.. let alone do it 3 years in a row... Yes wanted to see him finish better than 6th.. But outside of losing to the 8 seed..He lost to the 1 and 2 seeds by 4 total points...Yes its disappointing for Ash. But it doesn't mean he had a bad tourney... You made the comment about how as a team they need to get stronger.. We weren't outmuscled in many matches at all...Our guys for the most part were beaten by better wrestlers... who had a lil better technique... You talk about this so called lack of a "sense of urgency" You seem to forget the fact that the other guy is a top notch D1 wrestler also!! Sometimes the credit has to go to the opponents... We are a program on the rise... We had 3 guys qualify for the NCAA's that weren't even starters to begin the season!!! We are improving the quality of recruits each and every year!! Guys like Delvecchio, THeobold, Gravina. and Van Brill have developed very nicely.. Now were bringing in kids that are more talented to start with.. If the staff can develop them the way they developed them. Then we as Rutgers fans are going to be real happy these next several seasons!!

Finals starting in 5 minutes ! (8pm). Starting at 197 so the grand finale will be 1 Dean vs 2 Nickals. Terrific final .

2017 NCAA Finals Lineup
197: J'den Cox, Missouri vs Brett Pfarr, Minnesota
285: Kyle Snyder, Ohio State vs Connor Medbery, Wisconsin
125: Darian Cruz, Lehigh vs Ethan Lizak, Minnesota
133: Cory Clark, Iowa vs Seth Gross, South Dakota State
141: Dean Heil, Oklahoma State vs George DiCamillo, Virginia
149: Zain Retherford, Penn State vs Lavion Mayes, Missouri
157: Jason Nolf, Penn State vs Joey Lavallee, Missouri
165: Isaiah Martinez, Illinois vs Vincenzo Joseph, Penn State
174: Mark Hall, Penn State vs Bo Jordan, Ohio State
184: Gabe Dean, Cornell vs Bo Nickal, Penn State

Two All Americans in back to back years.
How do you measure a team?
Dual Meets or Tournaments?
How many All Americans did RU have prior to the past 4 years?
I thought this was a very good season and several wrestlers made great progress.

I don't have the wrestling knowledge of most posters, but I know what I have watched the past 10 years and I am happy with progress.

RU has shown that they are can produce AA's, now they have to parlay that success to getting top recruits. There is no way RU will ever be able to compete with PSU/Ok State in the near future. I love the job Goodale/Donny P have done, but they are not Cael Sanderson or NLWC. Everything RU has done the past years has made the team better. How old is SKWC? Scott G made a great deal with Princeton to help with the club wrestling. I can only see the team getting better. Heck, our backup 157 & 174 wrestlers at the start of the season made the NCAA.

Woh, Vincenzo Joseph, Penn St , just pinned 2 time champ Imart ! No fluke , as he was beating him on points in the 3rd when it happened. Penn St having a tourney for the ages.
3 champs so far w Hall and Nickal next up.

Woh, Vincenzo Joseph, Penn St , just pinned 2 time champ Imart ! No fluke , as he was beating him on points in the 3rd when it happened. Penn St having a tourney for the ages.
3 champs so far w Hall and Nickal next up.
Also, they did this without their starting 33 pounder and Suriano... Suriano had beaten both finalist at 125 pounds...

Reactions: jerseylion109
never seen stronger kids than those penn st kids....what the hell are the eating, drinking, and training .....man.,,,,,its freaky......redshirt freshman manhandles two time nat. champion wtf......now its halls turn to pin jordan

now nickel pins dean'.......I smell rat......m jealous, but this is very strange....nobody should
show up next year.....whats the point

Hats off to PSU.... running the table with their finalists. This may offend some b/c it's PSU (for the wrong reasons ), but that level of excellence is what any program would shoot for. As long as we keep progressing, I have no complaints. So happy for Theo to make AA.

Reactions: RobBliz
Hats off to PSU.... running the table with their finalists. This may offend some b/c it's PSU (for the wrong reasons ), but that level of excellence is what any program would shoot for. As long as we keep progressing, I have no complaints. So happy for Theo to make AA.
The only thing that offends me about your post is you capitalized psu. You should never ever do that. You just committed a cardinal sin with that move.:chairshot:

I always said next year was the money year for us, as we will be very senior heavy in 2017-18. Ash, Lewis, Gravina and Delvecchio are all capable of AA next year. Wrestlers like JVB and Pagano could take the next step as well. Maybe need to bolster our S&C training program over the summer...but look at this lineup for 2017-18:

125 Mackall (Paetzall RS)
133 Sr. Delvecchio
141 Sr. Ash
149 Might be a question mark early...Deluca? MVB? Giraldo? Id say Giraldo starts at first but he is so Jeckyll and Hyde
157 Sr. Lewis
165 JVB after heavy S&C
174 Pagano
184 Gravina
197 Mulligan
HVY Gross (Correnti RS to bulk up to Heavy for 2018-19)

We can have legit 4 AAs next year and send at least 8 to NCAAs (125 and 149 only question marks)

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I always said next year was the money year for us, as we will be very senior heavy in 2017-18. Ash, Lewis, Gravina and Delvecchio are all capable of AA next year. Wrestlers like JVB and Pagano could take the next step as well. Maybe need to bolster our S&C training program over the summer...but look at this lineup for 2017-18:

133 Sr. Delvecchio
141 Sr. Ash
149 Might be a question mark early...Deluca? MVB? Giraldo? Id say Giraldo starts at first but he is so Jeckyll and Hyde
157 Sr. Lewis
165 JVB after heavy S&C
174 Pagano
184 Gravina
197 Mulligan

We can have legit 4 AAs next year and send at least 8 to NCAAs (125 and 149 only question marks)

Glasgow at 149 is distinct possibility

133 Sr. Delvecchio
141 Sr. Ash
157 Sr. Lewis
165 JVB after heavy S&C
174 Pagano
184 Gravina
197 Mulligan

Nice lineup. Think you better add Mulligan to the question marks. It's a long road to Cleveland. $$$$

133 Sr. Delvecchio
141 Sr. Ash
157 Sr. Lewis
165 JVB after heavy S&C
174 Pagano
184 Gravina
197 Mulligan

I also think we have 4 legit AAs next season! Delvec, Ash, Lewis, Gravina. We also have few wrestlers who can AA (Deluca, Giraldo, Pagano, Gross, JVB). These guys are experienced and will be in room with those 4 legit AAs everyday, which will give them a lot of confidence against their opponents.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Is the plan for correnti to go to heavyweight going forward? How much was he cutting this year? Hopefully he can get to a solid d 230-240.

As a team we really have to continue to develop our offense. Taylor Walsh would be a good brain to pick to develop some throws. If ash is gonna take that next step he's gonna have to hit some big moves. And that goes for the other guys who may not be blue chippers but have been grinding out wins. Sometimes u need the ability to score quickly to throw a guy like heil off his game.
We have been making progress each year and this year was no different. 4 in the round of 12 is awesome. Our grinding style is paying off in all Americans. This program will continue to progress especially with recruits like glasgow and others. But we need to tweak the offensive philosophy and get comfortable creating action. Because right now penn st is dominating by just letting it fly. We re not gonna beat psu right now but we can certainly get into that top 8 which should be our next goal.

Reactions: ruready07
Don't sleep on Grello at 165 or 174. Between pagano, grello and jvb, there s going one darn good wrestler on the bench.

We all know how much CorrentI improved from the beginning of the season to the end but Mulligan beat Correnti at , I think, the ESU open. Also took 3rd at the NCO . He s gonna have a very good year too

A couple of things.

I think a few posters need to realize that while most of our guys are extremely talented wrestlers, they were not necessarily the cream of the crop coming out of HS. I remember when Theo took over for Mason. He brought spark to the team and wrestled with balls from day 1. However, nobody thought he was AA caliber at that time. Hell, the guy was sat for a match THIS season for Giraldo. Ironically Mason and Giraldo out of HS were probably expected to do it multiple times. The guy has developed wonderfully so give him and the staff credit.

When I was involved with the program, we had a guy named Rodney Van Ness. Guy was strong as oak (beat my ass a few times in practice) and definitely showed urgency on the mat. He was never an AA and simply lost to better guys, but it was not because of a lack of effort, grit, strength or urgency. Same thing with a guy like Gravina. He has the grit and balls to catch a top guy, but at the end of the day Dud was just better. Gravina has 1 and possibly 2 years to take the next step.

Now take Ashnault. The guy is the real deal proven by 3 AA's, but once you get to the Semi round so is everybody. You guys do realize Heil was a 4xer out of HS as well in a very fertile state right? My gut tells me Ash had a major let down after losing to Heil and it effected him the last 2 matches. No harm in that. It's not like he lost to a couple of powder puffs. I mean the guy knocked of Meredith to start the season so we know he's capable. Kolo out of Princeton is no joke and Ash handled him. 141 is an extremely talented division which many insiders have pointed out. You say he had a "bad tourney". Really? He reached the semi finals of one of the toughest divisions holding serve vs a tough Ohio State kid and avenging an early loss to an extremely talented wrestler. He simply couldn't take out a guy who is now a 2 time champion who has 1 loss in 2 years.

We have a very solid team that is exactly where it should be given the talent pool in the room. You think we hand this roster to Cael or John Smith and it miraclulously places top 5? Of course not. Now put a healthy Lewis back in this lineup and we have 3 AA's. What we need is to step up the recruiting and land a few more big fish. And spare me the crap that a blue chip kid can't succeed here and needs to be at PSU. Ashnault has handled Gullibon. You know why? Ash is better... period. Meanwhile Gullibon is coached by the same squad as Nolf and rolls with studs at practice. Ash still beat his ass in last years B1G final. Pagano was at that school and couldn't sniff the lineup. You know why? The guys ahead of him were simply better stock. But guess what? He comes to RU and starts to display serious progress while knocking off some really good kids. Watch out for his development.

We need to start landing talent. Period. And perhaps step up the S&C program a notch. Ashnault means the world to the program and we need to thank him for eternity for taking the chance for staying home. Thankfully it's worked out for everybody even if he hasn't won it all. He would still start on every other B1G team. With that said, the top 3 teams can land multiple Ashnaults annually. Trust me.. if Suriano chooses RU last year, he would succeed here. We just need to keep working at it on the recruiting trail.

Last edited:
A couple of things.

I think a few posters need to realize that while most of our guys are extremely talented wrestlers, they were not necessarily the cream of the crop coming out of HS. I remember when Theo took over for Mason. He brought spark to the team and wrestled with balls from day 1. However, nobody thought he was AA caliber at that time. Hell, the guy was sat for a match THIS season for Giraldo. Ironically Mason and Giraldo out of HS were probably expected to do it multiple times. The guy has developed wonderfully so give him and the staff credit.

When I was involved with the program, we had a guy named a Rodney Van Ness. Guy was strong as oak (beat my ass a few times in practice) and definitely showed urgency on the mat. He was never an AA and simply lost to better guys, but it was not because of a lack of effort, grit, strength or urgency. Same thing with a guy like Gravina. He has the grit and balls to catch a top guy, but at the end of the day Dud was just better. Gravina has 1 and possibly 2 years to take the next step.

Now take Ashnault. The guy is the real deal proven by 3 AA's, but once you get to the Semi round so is everybody. You guys do realize Heil was a 4xer out of HS as well in a very fertile state right? My gut tells me Ash had a major let down after losing to Heil and it effected him the last 2 matches. No harm in that. It's not like he lost to a couple of powder puffs. I mean the guy knocked of Meredith to start the season so we know he's capable. Kolo out of Princeton is no joke and Ash handled him. 141 is an extremely talented division which many insiders have pointed out. You say he had a "bad tourney". Really? He reached the semi finals of one of the toughest divisions holding serve vs a tough Ohio State kid and avenging an early loss to an extremely talented wrestler. He simply couldn't take out a guy who is now a 2 time champion who has 1 loss in 2 years.

We have a very solid team that is exactly where it should be given the talent pool in the room. You think we hand this roster to Cael or John Smith and it miraclulously places top 5? Of course not. Now put a healthy Lewis back in this lineup and we have 3 AA's. What we need is to step up the recruiting and land a few more big fish. And spare me the crap that a blue chip kid can't succeed here and needs to be at PSU. Ashnault has handled Gullibon. You know why? Ash is better... period. Meanwhile Gullibon is coached by the same squad as Nolf and rolls with studs at practice. Ash still beat his ass in last years B1G final. Pagano was at that school and couldn't sniff the lineup. You know why? The guys ahead of him were simply better stock. But guess what? He comes to RU and starts to display serious progress while knocking off some really good kids. Watch out for his development.

We need to start landing talent. Period. And perhaps step up the S&C program a notch. Ashnault means the world to the program and we need to thank him for eternity for taking the chance for staying home. Thankfully it's worked out for everybody even if he hasn't won it all. He would still start on every other B1G team. With that said, the top 3 teams can land multiple Ashnaults annually. Trust me.. if Suriano chooses RU last year, he would succeed here. We just need to keep working at it on the recruiting trail.
Great post!!!

From Flowrestling 'By the Numbers' post tourney article:

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/53013-ncaas-by-the-numbers#.WM6VfGe1sl0

All Americans from NJ:
New Jersey
(5)Jr. Anthony Ashnault (Rutgers)
Sr. Ken Theobold (Rutgers)
Sr. Sal Mastriani (Virginia Tech)
Jr. Chad Walsh (Rider)
So. Myles Martin (Ohio State)

All Americans By Conference
Big Ten - 36
Big 12 - 11
ACC - 9
MAC - 8
EIWA - 7
Pac 12 - 3
EWL - 3
SoCon - 3

Blood Round Losers By State
NJ - 6
PA - 6
MI - 5
IA - 4
MN - 3
CA - 2
IL - 2
IN - 2
NY - 2

A lot more interesting info :

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/53013-ncaas-by-the-numbers#.WM6VfGe1sl0

133 Sr. Delvecchio
141 Sr. Ash
157 Sr. Lewis
165 JVB after heavy S&C
174 Pagano
184 Gravina
197 Mulligan

I know Mackall was hurt, but how was he doing before that? He was highly regarded in HS. What are the expectations for him? HIgher/lower/same as Paetzell?

I also put Grello firmly in mix at 165.

My biggest question mark is who replaces Theo at 149. Does Giraldo win the job and end his frustrating inconsistencies on the mat? Does Deluca make a full recovery and take the spot? Or does Glasgow just waltz in and start Day 1 because of the current question marks of the 149 wrestlers we have?

Everyone realizes that it a tough tournament and just not making it is an accomplishment. That doesn't mean you can't evaluate their performance. I am sure AA would agree that he had a bad tournament especially in the wrestles backs. At what point do you start expecting more than participation ribbons? If you think this is the best that Rutgers can do then I can understand. However I don't think you will find many inside the program who is pleased with finishing 19th and 9th out of B1G schools. I think many were looking forward to seeing the program take the next step but it didn't happen this year.

First, there's a huge difference between evaluating a performance and posting random comments with no substance out of frustration when our kids lose a match...

No one should be pleased about finishing 19th and 9th... But what expectations could there be when we only had 3 seeded wrestlers and the highest one was a 5 seed? ( who also finished 1 spot off his seed by the way) You lose 3 matches by a grand total of 6 pts (with 2 of those to the 1 and 2 seed) does not make for a "bad" tournament!!

I don't think Van Brill can wrestle 165. He would have to put on some serious muscle. I am hoping Grello can win it. He has some serious talent. It would be great if Glasgow could make 149. I would like to see JVB stay at 141 and take over for Ash after next season. I like this group;

Mackall
Del
Ash
Glasgow
Lewis
Grello
Pagano
Gravina
Mulligan
Lewis

I don't think Van Brill can wrestle 165. He would have to put on some serious muscle. I am hoping Grello can win it. He has some serious talent. It would be great if Glasgow could make 149. I would like to see JVB stay at 141 and take over for Ash after next season. I like this group;

Mackall
Del
Ash
Glasgow
Lewis
Grello
Pagano
Gravina
Mulligan
Lewis
Anyone know if Grello has made a full recovery? I know he was injured for a good part of the season.

Mackall
Del
Ash
Glasgow
Lewis
Grello
Pagano
Gravina
Mulligan
Lewis
Also I am assuming you meant to put Gross in the HVY spot correct? Lewis isn't a balloon who can add 40 lbs in a half hr to wrestle both 157 and Heavy.

Def a chance but a lot of high end athletes at Delbarton generally head to ivy s . If we land him, it's a game changer for the program. I believe ru hasn't landed a #1 rated kid in their weight that I can remember . Winston I think was #2 behind Howe ? Was ash or was zain in the same weight ?

Heck Princeton has a direct line to delby these days w aggaise , max rogers and tavoso

Is glory a 25 or 33 in college ?

Cornel - prb no bc of arjuai and yianni
Penn st - maybe bc of the opening at 33 but suri maybe a career 25
Stanford - would work
Lehigh - 25 opens up at Cruz leaves and
Nick farrow is there
Va -frosh jack mueller is there

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT