ADVERTISEMENT

March MatNess is ON ! NCAA Wrestling Tourney Thread :

That was a blood round match against the 7th ranked kid who is known as a good rider. Gravina won 3 straight matches with extreme urgency. Ran into a better kid. 184 is one of the toughest classes in the tournament. Think McFly, think.
Hey McFly he beat the kid before. All I said was we need to work on bottom which we've had trouble with this tournament. I even said he's a tough kid but had nothing left this match. For the reading comprehension dense that means he's good, but all the matches finally added up.

Goody told him to keep low.
Can't complain. He's still an AA and will go for 7.
I heard that too & have no problem with that but he needed to run away or at least move his feet to circle. Oh well, great tourney for him to AA.

Penn St putting on a friggen clinic. Nickal with a 30 second pin over Brooks. Hall upset Valencia. Retherford another pinning machine. I missed Nolf, did he pin too ? Geez

Great day for Rutgers. Another AA, two guys made it to the round of 12.

Of course it could have been better, but I think many of us would have signed up for this when the tournament started.

Hey McFly he beat the kid before. All I said was we need to work on bottom which we've had trouble with this tournament. I even said he's a tough kid but had nothing left this match. For the reading comprehension dense that means he's good, but all the matches finally added up.

No... you said he had no urgency and he was done and nothing could be further from the truth. Pagano beat the kid from Lehigh... doesn't mean he would again. Sometimes you just have to give the other guy credit.

And please respect the McFly reference... being St. Pats day and all.

Reactions: koleszar
Penn St putting on a friggen clinic. Nickal with a 30 second pin over Brooks. Hall upset Valencia. Retherford another pinning machine. I missed Nolf, did he pin too ? Geez

Brooks needs to grow out that mullet and get it fluffed and feathered again.

No... you said he had no urgency and he was done and nothing could be further from the truth. Pagano beat the kid from Lehigh... doesn't mean he would again. Sometimes you just have to give the other guy credit.

And please respect the McFly reference... being St. Pats day and all.
we show no sense of urgency-we is plural as in referring to the team, it's not singular as in one person.
Gravina is done- the post was after the match thus referring to he was out of the tournament.

I serious think you misconstrued my sentence. Gravina is my favorite wrestler he's a hard grinder. And yes I will give you props for the McFly reference here on St.Pats, thus I gave you a like.

we show no sense of urgency-we is plural as in referring to the team, it's not singular as in one person.
Gravina is done- the post was after the match thus referring to he was out of the tournament.

I serious think you misconstrued my sentence. Gravina is my favorite wrestler he's a hard grinder. And yes I will give you props for the McFly reference here on St.Pats, thus I gave you a like.

We lack blue chip talent, not urgency. Gravina will be back.

Reactions: Leonard23

Nickal is fun to watch. He has some amazing throws every time you watch him.

Kids wrestled hard. Dudley is a 3 time AA so he is just better than Nicky. Delvecchio gave Montoya all he could handle but ran out of time. He had him on the ropes. AA lost to the NCAA champ and is a 3 time AA. Kenny is an AA and if he had just stalled and stayed away from Chisko in the last 10 seconds he is wrestling for 5/6 instead of 7/8. AA will be no worse than 6th. We are 18th in the team standings I believe right now. So all in all it is a respectable performance.

Wow ... 5 PSU wrestlers in the finals ... RU on the rise, but man that sucks.

I know I should be happy that Theobold is AA, but it hurts to see him lose at the last second... Same for Ash, but man that Heil dude is a very strong wrestler.

I know I should be happy that Theobold is AA, but it hurts to see him lose at the last second... Same for Ash, but man that Heil dude is a very strong wrestler.

What a weight class. Heil is still a junior. Guy has 1 loss in 2 years. Ashnault needs to take care of business next year at Midlands and get that 2 or 3 seed come March and avoid the top bracket. He's right there with Jack and already beat Meredith and Kolo. I predicted that the kid from VA would sneak in there but not sure how Ashnault matches up. Bottom line is Heil is showing to be the best in this group.

None of these guys graduate! Ashnault will need to be on a mission next year. First step is to win these last 2 matches.

Edit: Just looked at the consi bracket and it looks like Ash gets a rematch with Jack. Anthony needs to put the semis by him and wrestle pissed here and avenge those prior losses.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
What scary is 2 are freshmen, 2 sophomores and 1 junior. Everyone starter returns next year except Gulidon.
Yeah, good for you. We know, we get it, psu's great we're not. Harping on the same thing on every forum gets a little redundant don't you think. Now you're probably going to try and tell me, "well I was just trying to inform people." Were you really? Or did you just come on here to brag how we should all bow down to the mighty wrestling God known as psu? I think deep down it was the latter.

We all know psu is great, can't we just have our own thread about RUTGERS without you injecting your psu propaganda into everything. Give it a rest, you have your own board, use it to spout your psu propaganda. Here please just talk wrestling, not your idol worshiping.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Saturday medal round action starts up at 11am. 3 mats going.
Ashnault will be on mat 3 vs Kevin Jack, NC St.

Mat 3
Oklahoma State

Next Up
Depth
1. 141: K. Jack vs. A. Ashnault

What an amazing year ! 2 round of 12 guys and 2 AAs! 2nd straight year w 2 AAs and 4th straight year w a AA. Goodale s vision is coming to fruition and it s only going to get better w young guns coming up. The pedigree of Mulligan, Correnti, Grello, Glasgow and Janzer is another level then our current starters. That's not meant to be a negative comment. This group has laid the foundation for a long time winner, similar to when teel and co were on the fball team. We will always remember this crew. Gravina and Theo were never state champs and look at what they accomplished!

Let's play what ifs
Ritchie beat Lavalle pretty good at the all star meet and lavalle is in the finals
Rayzon beat the kid from NW and from MD who also were round 12 guys

So we possibly could have 6 guys on the squad that are top 12 in the nation and probably 3 AAs w Ritchie .

The future is bright

What a weight class. Heil is still a junior. Guy has 1 loss in 2 years. Ashnault needs to take care of business next year at Midlands and get that 2 or 3 seed come March and avoid the top bracket. He's right there with Jack and already beat Meredith and Kolo. I predicted that the kid from VA would sneak in there but not sure how Ashnault matches up. Bottom line is Heil is showing to be the best in this group.

None of these guys graduate! Ashnault will need to be on a mission next year. First step is to win these last 2 matches.

Edit: Just looked at the consi bracket and it looks like Ash gets a rematch with Jack. Anthony needs to put the semis by him and wrestle pissed here and avenge those prior losses.
Heil is tough to beat when he gets a lead. Great athlete as well as great counter wrestler. Ash needs to get a lead on him if he's going to have a chance to beat him.

Our guys need to hit the weight room this off season. Bottom line. In every match we lost or just about every match our opponent was just bigger and stronger. I don't know why that is, but it seems like it has to change to take the next step.

Reactions: 32prosper
So does PSU just have more top end talent than we do with so many of their guys in the finals? Seems like we have a solid team, but we dont have as much top end success as they do.

Yea psu has a top 5/10 recruit at every weight. 2/3/4/6 times state champs, Fargo champs , cadet and junior world champs . The majority of Our guys are not even state champs and they kick a**. Goodale and crew do an awesome job

It appears that In the next couple years , you ll have to be at least a 2x nj champ to start

Reactions: Loyal-Son
141 | No. 2 Kevin Jack (NCST) defeats No. 5 Anthony Ashnault, 3-1. Ashnault will wrestle for fifth.

Here's hoping Jack outgrows the 141 weight class his senior year. At 5 ft 11 it has to be hard as hell to make weight at 141.
141 is so deep ... and they return almost everyone next year...AGAIN ugh...
Jack might have the same idea of not wanting to go 149 to face Zain

Ashnault wrestled like sh*t. Sorry but just not aggressive enough. Same as Heil match. Our guys still claim up against the best, even AA. When you are the "underdog" you need to push and force the action. Almost seemed satisfied.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT