ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread: CKLV Tournament Updates

After lock haven and Utah valley I have no idea how you aren’t afraid of the rider match too :)
Color me optimistic!

Lock Haven was last year and Utah Valley has a better squad than Rider, IMO. Not saying we're gunna blow them out or anything, but I think we have a 70% chance to win. I'll take those odds. And yes, I just pulled that % out of my rear.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
@Abro1975 What mat is Suriano on? And don't give me any of that sh*t that your posting on three boards again.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@R U Crazy I'm going to ask you nicely because you make us a priority. Could you please let us know mat assignments it'd be much appreciated and you have my gratitude?

By the way what time does this crap kickoff EST time not that day late and dollar short PST?

Reactions: R U Crazy
@Abro1975 What mat is Suriano on? And don't give me any of that sh*t that your posting on three boards again.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@R U Crazy I'm going to ask you nicely because you make us a priority. Could you please let us know mat assignments it'd be much appreciated and you have my gratitude?

By the way what time does this crap kickoff EST time not that day late and dollar short PST?
Consos start at 12:00 est. Semis at 1:00pm. I don't see mat assignments yet.

Reactions: koleszar
Consos start at 12:00 est. Semis at 1:00pm. I don't see mat assignments yet.
Clearscreen you watching today? I've got no wife today, she's watching our nephew in some big invite only swim meet. Those things are brutal chlorine smell, 95 degree heat, kids and parents yelling I refuse to attend. So I just got the dogs, farm animals, college football on the TV and wrestling on the computer. It doesn't get any better than this.

Clearscreen you watching today? I've got no wife today, she's watching our nephew in some big invite only swim meet. Those things are brutal chlorine smell, 95 degree heat, kids and parents yelling I refuse to attend. So I just got the dogs, farm animals, college football on the TV and wrestling on the computer. It doesn't get any better than this.
Yes I'm watching. LOL. Wife and daughter at figure skating competition in Ann Arbor and son's hockey game not until 7:55pm.

I wish we had more RU guys to watch today, unfortunately.

Yes I'm watching. LOL. Wife and daughter at figure skating competition in Ann Arbor and son's hockey game not until 7:55pm.

I wish we had more RU guys to watch today, unfortunately.

Yea was hoping for more RU guys as well. Semis on two mats, so will have both screens going....except 33 and 49 Full screen for the RU boys.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
As someone I consider an insider, why do you think we are having so many issues with the upper weights, particularly 197 and Heavy?

First, I think they are hard weights to recruit(a coach told me the two hardest weights to recruit are 125 and Hwt).
I thought Correnti would be a very good college wrestler...moved well and could score multiple ways. He did not just rely on brute power(like a lot of upper weights in HS do...part of what makes evaluating HS upper weights tuff...everyone in college has power). He had a pretty good true freshman year, but something is missing so far this year. College wrestling is freaking hard and if you are not 100% on board, others will pass you.
Colucci will be ok this year(that was a bad loss to the Nebraska back up). I still think he is an upgrade over Gross but cannot see him scoring more than 1-2 points at NCAA's(gonna be on the fence qualifying).

No depth right now on the team at 97 or Hwt and nobody coming in for the class of 2019. Class of 2020 needs some big guys, but not much of a draw for a big guy to come to RU currently.

First, I think they are hard weights to recruit(a coach told me the two hardest weights to recruit are 125 and Hwt).
I thought Correnti would be a very good college wrestler...moved well and could score multiple ways. He did not just rely on brute power(like a lot of upper weights in HS do...part of what makes evaluating HS upper weights tuff...everyone in college has power). He had a pretty good true freshman year, but something is missing so far this year. College wrestling is freaking hard and if you are not 100% on board, others will pass you.
Colucci will be ok this year(that was a bad loss to the Nebraska back up). I still think he is an upgrade over Gross but cannot see him scoring more than 1-2 points at NCAA's(gonna be on the fence qualifying).

No depth right now on the team at 97 or Hwt and nobody coming in for the class of 2019. Class of 2020 needs some big guys, but not much of a draw for a big guy to come to RU currently.
Thanks. Looks like we will continue to struggle there the next few years.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
Still no mat assignments on FloArena (11:40), even for consys. Dog is walked, chores done, wife happy, 2 devices w FloWrestling CKLV ready to roll, College Football on the Big TV (Go Texas, Go Bama, Go Pitt, go OSU, go UCF).
Will even peak in on golf (Hero's tourney) on the iPhone from time to time.

Good luck Nick Suriano, Anthony Ashnault, and John Van Brill.

Hope Dave B and the SKWC guys are having a blast in Vegas !

Last edited:
6 PM EST are the finals......just in case you wanted to make sure you could watch RU win 2 championships.

JVB getting manhandled, down 6-0. He gives up his leg so fast in neutral. He seemed better last year at 165. Hopefully he'll improve as the season goes on. And as this match goes on. Maybe another late heroics?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
E-gads that wasn't too good. This has been a disappointing tourney and Utah St. isn't looking like an abbreviation.

if you check the team scores...Utah Valley was right behind us in 11th.
They are a more balanced team then us.

And that was WITH all the bonus points we scored

if you check the team scores...Utah Valley was right behind us in 11th.
They are a more balanced team then us.

And that was WITH all the bonus points we scored
The reality in wrestling is having the big guns is more important then balance..

Reactions: PSUPOWER
This JVB can use his funk better at 165. The smaller quicker guys too much for him at 57. I’d like to see Glasgow at 157 where he can compete better. Would like to know why no Glasgow this weekend. Hopefully just some sort of short term illness. I personally think team would be better with Glasgow 157 and JVB 165. As it stands now, no one is AA but Ash and Suriano anyway unless there is tremendous improvement from now until March.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
Utah 174 pounder pins Finesilver to get into the top 8

Looks like Utah Valley could have 4 to 5 place winners at this tourney.
That team is no joke

Reactions: koleszar
The reality in wrestling is having the big guns is more important then balance..
I've always hated the scoring system. As you stated, a few big guns outweighs a team. I understand it's an individual sport with team goals in mind but with this scoring system the team part is severely diminished. It's better to bundle your money into a couple studs than spread it out and have a full team.

This JVB can use his funk better at 165. The smaller quicker guys too much for him at 57. I’d like to see Glasgow at 157 where he can compete better. Would like to know why no Glasgow this weekend. Hopefully just some sort of short term illness. I personally think team would be better with Glasgow 157 and JVB 165. As it stands now, no one is AA but Ash and Suriano anyway unless there is tremendous improvement from now until March.
So you believe whena guy wins his wrestle off that it really means he loses his spot ...I thought the whole idea of wrestling off was for the guy that wins to pick where he wants to go ..JVB won the wrestle off so now you just wanna ignore that lol

Thats why I said Leonardis is holding the upperweights back. Goodale doesn't necessarily need to fire him but can't he put in his name to get a HC job at a D2 or D3 program to open up that assistant spot for a big money upperweight coach?

Reactions: rutpsychward
So you believe whena guy wins his wrestle off that it really means he loses his spot ...I thought the whole idea of wrestling off was for the guy that wins to pick where he wants to go ..JVB won the wrestle off so now you just wanna ignore that lol
Also believe in the bigger team. Id like to see them wrestle again and see. how it turns out. But overall, no, I believe the guy who wins wrestleoff should get to pick his weight. Personally, I think JvB May have a chance to perform better at 165 but what do I know.

I said in a previous post this tourn will define our team. Again it’s early. Good experience. Last time we were at Cliff Keen. We had 2 placers. AP a third (only loss to Green)...AA took a 4th lost to Dardanes for 3/4 in close match. AA lost to Steiber in semis and Carter took second. Loaded wt class. I think competition is better then Midlands. Still no reason to hit the panic button. It is only early December. JMO!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Leonard23
I like goodale. However, the recruiting needs to get better. If the results continue it is time to replace our heavyweight coach with an top heavyweight coach. I dont see how anyone can argue this. I know many are more in tune with the technical aspects of wrestling. Point is we clearly arent getting elite recruits at heavyweight or upper weights and we arent getting great development. How long does he get to fail at his job/

I am curious about how practice is managed.

Do they break down video on opponents? technical aspects?
What situational positions do they work on with counter offense?
Bottom positioning? Riding?
You can recruit all the elite kids you want but it still up to the coaches to work on developing them.If we are not doing a great job in the room then results will be lackluster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT