ADVERTISEMENT

Mel Tucker to sign 10 Yr $95M Contract

Question is, does the present contract include a bonus for reaching a bowl?
Bowl games: Schiano will earn $75,000 for a non-College Football Playoff “Group A” bowl game appearance and $75,000 for winning the bowl game. The Belk, Music City and Quick Lane Bowls (and successor games) are considered “Group A.” All other non-CFP bowl games are considered “Group B," and Schiano earns $100,000 for appearing in one and $100,000 for winning one.

Schiano will earn $150,000 for appearing in a New Year’s Six bowl game and can earn another $150,000 for winning one. He earns $200,000 for qualifying for the College Football Playoff, $250,000 for appearing in the national title game and $350,000 for winning a national title.

Reactions: retired711
Sorry but this is sheer insanity. The guy has accomplished absolutely nothing so far. Now he’s going to be the highest paid coach in college football? How about maybe getting to a New Year’s six bowl game and winning it? How about when your division? How about one of your conference? This makes me sad and sick to my stomach both at the same time. The fact that Stanford has the third highest paid coach in college football stunning, as well, at a whopping 2-6 on the season BUT to reward MEL TUCKER with a $10M per year contract??!! This is not good IMHO.

1. Nick SabanAlabama$9.75 million
2. Ed OrgeronLSU$9.01 million
3. David ShawStanford$8.92 million
4. Dabo SwinneyClemson$8.37 million

Insanely stupid. Tucker appears to be doing a nice job, but it’s all based on one good year in the transfer portal. The portal can giveth and it can taketh away. Tucker is not in the same universe as Saban.

Insanity for pretty much everyone on the planet, other than Tucker & his family.

Now… Obviously this is an attempt to keep him from leaving for LSU, who has ridiculous money to throw around as well, but my friends who are LSU alumni, a group of about a dozen, feel the same way: that this guy hasn’t done anything yet/enough to deserve this kind of cash.

Reactions: FastMJ
Sorry but this is sheer insanity. The guy has accomplished absolutely nothing so far. Now he’s going to be the highest paid coach in college football? How about maybe getting to a New Year’s six bowl game and winning it? How about when your division? How about one of your conference? This makes me sad and sick to my stomach both at the same time. The fact that Stanford has the third highest paid coach in college football stunning, as well, at a whopping 2-6 on the season BUT to reward MEL TUCKER with a $10M per year contract??!! This is not good IMHO.

Agree with you! Was curious about David Shaw and Stanford. Seems his salary might be a little gimicky based on the article below but at least he has a track record and is 93-43 at Stanford! As an aside I think the Stanford spokesman who had to explain his salary used to be at Rutgers? He was probably used to explaining these things to the skeptical media and public after doing his time with the NJ.com and Bergen Record types.

Mel made MSU look great his second year.
But before giving him top dollar like the coaches you posted, he needs to produce more years than just this one to make that type of cash and time frame.
LSU or not , to soon for a 10 year and 9mil, unless buyout small for first 4 years of it in case he doesn't repeat this year again.

Last edited:
That's just stupid money at that point. 5 years from now I'd bet money that Sparty regrets that contract.
Mentioned this contract in the coaching carousel thread. It's a big bet but looks like it's mostly privately funded by a couple MSU billionaire boosters.

I think it's crazy to give out such money off 1 year results. Consistent results is what you want and no way to know if Tucker will deliver them or not. Give a 1 year big bonus for stellar results but don't lock up so much money.

Thought the same when LSU upped Orgeron's contract after the national championship. He would crawl to that job and no one else would have hired him, there was no need for a long term lockup. Of course now they just doled out a bunch of money to make him go away.

Saban is worth every dime he's paid no matter the amount, most of these other guys no way IMO.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Mel madeMSU look great his second year.
Bu before giving him top dollar like the coaches you p[opsted, he needs to produce more years than just this one to make that type of cash and time frame.
LSU or not , to soon for a 10 year and 9mil, unless buyout small for first 4 years of it in case he doesn't repeat this year again.
If he wants to go then let him. These guys fail more than they succeed.

Really like Billy Napier at LSU
He's one of the names out there. His name pops up for VT as well. Supposedly though one of the places he likes is ASU where he was OC for a year. Herm would have to get the boot first though and his off the field issues don't help him if he's not winning.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Bowl games: Schiano will earn $75,000 for a non-College Football Playoff “Group A” bowl game appearance and $75,000 for winning the bowl game. The Belk, Music City and Quick Lane Bowls (and successor games) are considered “Group A.” All other non-CFP bowl games are considered “Group B," and Schiano earns $100,000 for appearing in one and $100,000 for winning one.

Schiano will earn $150,000 for appearing in a New Year’s Six bowl game and can earn another $150,000 for winning one. He earns $200,000 for qualifying for the College Football Playoff, $250,000 for appearing in the national title game and $350,000 for winning a national title.

So he gets a 200k bonus for winning the Pinstripe Bowl. Well if he were to do that in Year 2 given what he started with I'd say he earned it.

That's just stupid money at that point. 5 years from now I'd bet money that Sparty regrets that contract.
Yeah, a little soon on that one. Man, hit the numbers on some portal transfers, win cash for life!

The other thing I forgot to mention is I wonder is if there will also be financial upgrades for the assistant pool and support staff like analysts and such.

Agree with you! Was curious about David Shaw and Stanford. Seems his salary might be a little gimicky based on the article below but at least he has a track record and is 93-43 at Stanford! As an aside I think the Stanford spokesman who had to explain his salary used to be at Rutgers? He was probably used to explaining these things to the skeptical media and public after doing his time with the NJ.com and Bergen Record types.

From the linked article:
"The Cardinal have won three Pac-12 championships under his leadership, the most recent in 2015."
Has not won the Pac12 north outright since 2016. 2019- went 4-8 and currently at 3-7.
Look no further than this for the insanity in Tucker's contract.

Mel made MSU look great his second year.
But before giving him top dollar like the coaches you posted, he needs to produce more years than just this one to make that type of cash and time frame.
The buyout is paid if someone else hires him. These deals are fully guaranteed unless the coach is fired for cause. Maybe they can put an opt out clause in it like baseball players have, but I've not seen that before.

The buyout is paid if someone else hires him. These deals are fully guaranteed unless the coach is fired for cause. Maybe they can put an opt out clause in it like baseball players have, but I've not seen that before.
Thanks.
I thought some schools put in the contract that the buyout would be a high percentage opf full salary is terminated and not fore cause.
Something like if fired in 2nd year of a 4 year contract, the buyout would be 50% of what owed for remaining 2 years.
For some reason I thought Greg's contract had a termination clause that paid him less then the full amount owed for remaing years if he was let go before contract was up and he wasn't fired for cause.

Thanks.
I thought some schools put in the contract that the buyout would be a high percentage opf full salary is terminated and not fore cause.
Something like if fired in 2nd year of a 4 year contract, the buyout would be 50% of what owed for remaining 2 years.
For some reason I thought Greg's contract had a termination clause that paid him less then the full amount owed for remaing years if he was let go before contract was up and he wasn't fired for cause.
They do have contracts like that. Some are fully guaranteed, some have a lump sum that changes as times goes on, some have a percentage of the remaining contract…all depends on what they agree on.

out of control and things need to change. Time to change the tax structure and state support structure of these schools. No more not for profit status

Reactions: RUScrew85
out of control and things need to change. Time to change the tax structure and state support structure of these schools. No more not for profit status
Nonsense....the entire contract is being paid by 2 MSU boosters, does not cost the school or the State a penny.

Reactions: rutgersal
Thanks.
Greg gets just shy of 78% of his remaining salary if he’s fired with out cause.

Reactions: MADHAT1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT