ADVERTISEMENT

Neutral Site Games

When I went to the Iowa vs RU football game, I ended up going to an Iowa women’s wrestling match the day after.

That crowd was larger than what we had today.

It’s inexcusable.
christmas dude, no one gives a **** really about hoops right now

I thought about getting tickets and they were $25 each but the team is not good this year so I didn't want to waste my money. I was proven correct.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Last year everyone said Pike needs to schedule better OOC to get a better resume. He gets a Q1 to travel to NJ for a neutral site game 2 days before Christmas and now people complain?
Nothing wrong with Miss St as the team. Nothing wrong with a Saturday in Dec. if RU wins it’s a great win for the resume.
When they lose people look for crap to complain about.
lol I’m not complaining about Pike or anything related to the teams play.

I’m simply saying it was a lame event. Which it was. 5k RU fans is downright pathetic.

I can’t imagine anyone that was actually there disagreeing with me. So I have to ask, did you attend?

I thought about getting tickets and they were $25 each but the team is not good this year so I didn't want to waste my money. I was proven correct.
tix were $40 with fee cheapest behind basket IMO thats why alot of people passed, if you are going to try and get people out 2 days before xmas when you have to get up and out the door by 930 then you better be offering some cheap seats which they didnt. Timing of the game was horrific I will give you that.

christmas dude, no one gives a **** really about hoops right now
Make that the SHU game and it’s packed.

Make it any known name and the upper level is open.

MSU such a weird opponent to schedule. Pretty sure I even said that when the game was announced. Like why?

And I understand (and agree) with the resume aspect of it. Just a bizarre opponent.

The roster isn’t constructed right this year imo. We are nowhere near physical enough.

lol I’m not complaining about Pike or anything related to the teams play.

I’m simply saying it was a lame event. Which it was. 5k RU fans is downright pathetic.

I can’t imagine anyone that was actually there disagreeing with me. So I have to ask, did you attend?
Yes. I was there. It was an opportunity to get a Q1 win in NJ. Team missed an opportunity.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
lol stop criticizing attendance....5100 is fine for a shitty time and not in the RU area and on christmas weekend.

the bigger issue is Pikes insistence to avoid playing games like these

Pathetic

Awful awful awful.

If you’re going to do a neutral site game, schedule a name opponent and make it an event.

Mississippi State at Pru? So lame.

Next season make it Duke, UNC, Kansas, Villanova, etc at the Garden or don’t do it at all.
Good opportunity for the team for Q1 win, and I really thought this was a winnable game. But agree from a fan perspective not a lot of interest and kind of depressing to be in an arena that felt empty - and that's WITH them closing the top part off.

The roster isn’t constructed right this year imo. We are nowhere near physical enough.
More importantly the roster has too many role players who aren't meant for this level of competition.The team has loss games to Princeton,Wake Forest,Illinois and Mississippi State which are ominous indicators what will happen starting in January against league competition.

Awful awful awful.

If you’re going to do a neutral site game, schedule a name opponent and make it an event.

Mississippi State at Pru? So lame.

Next season make it Duke, UNC, Kansas, Villanova, etc at the Garden or don’t do it at all.
And for those who want to tear down the RAC and build a cookie cutter arena, this is what you’ll get. It’s a yawn fest environment.

If Rutgers was undefeated going into the is game, you would have double the crowd. It's lame, but the average RU hoops fan is a bandwagoner who won't bother attending on an off year.

Heck, according to the articles Rutgers had the biggest fan presence at the recent high school tournament featuring our 2 stud players. I wonder why that could be?

Is somebody under the impression that Pike/RU could turn their backs on offers to play quality opponents at neutral sites for years and then suddenly expect top programs to jump at the opportunity to play RU once Pike finally decided to get on board? MSU at Pru today at noon was the best offer Pike and RU had.

Those are a lot of empty seats lol

5k was the attendance, that’s bad
Lower bowl holds less than 8k no? I flew to Toronto to watch us lose to the Bonnies in front of 500 people. THAT was bad. This wasn’t like the MSG takeover in 2004 - but it wasn’t bad. Redds was pretty packed pregame, when Hyatt hit the 3 to close the half the place was jumping. We showed up. The team didn’t.

As an aside, today made me appreciate the RAC all the more. The noise at the Prudential Center gets totally absorbed in the cloth seats, curtains, etc. It was really noticeable.

Reactions: Saint Puppy
Make that the SHU game and it’s packed.

Make it any known name and the upper level is open.

MSU such a weird opponent to schedule. Pretty sure I even said that when the game was announced. Like why?

And I understand (and agree) with the resume aspect of it. Just a bizarre opponent.
It’s not a bizarre opponent at all.
It’s a quad 1 neutral site game. What’s weird about that. Everyone WANTS to go out and get a big name opponent but the reality is teams haven’t wanted to come to the RAC so we’ve had to get creative and play neutral site games.
Second, we ARE NOT a big name team. So it’s not like we can easily go out and get someone like Kansas, Kentucky, Texas, etc. Miss State was a tournament team last year. I don’t understand the complaining with this one

It’s not a bizarre opponent at all.
It’s a quad 1 neutral site game. What’s weird about that. Everyone WANTS to go out and get a big name opponent but the reality is teams haven’t wanted to come to the RAC so we’ve had to get creative and play neutral site games.
Second, we ARE NOT a big name team. So it’s not like we can easily go out and get someone like Kansas, Kentucky, Texas, etc. Miss State was a tournament team last year. I don’t understand the complaining with this one
Bizarre opponent that has absolutely no draw.

Stop talking about it from a resume perspective. I understand the reasoning why they scheduled it.

What I don’t understand is why it was random ass Mississippi State lol. Literally no draw for a fan base that makes up excuses like “2 days before Christmas” “extra 30-40 minute drive from the RAC” “too cold today”

Lame.

If that was SHU, Villanova, UConn, or literally any other team people are familiar with in this area it would have been packed with the upper deck open.

5k is lame. Period. The game was lame. Period. Gotham classic? Lolololol.

Whoever was in charge of setting this game up should be let go. That’s how big of a flop it was.

Atmosphere was suppressed and very low key given the holidays with everyone being out of their regular element at RAC etc.

Regardless game got away very early in 2nd half and team never recovered to give the fans a chance to get loud.

P.S - were there any scoring changes giving Cliff a rebound ? Need it for my fantasy college basketball team. 😂

Bizarre opponent that has absolutely no draw.

Stop talking about it from a resume perspective. I understand the reasoning why they scheduled it.

What I don’t understand is why it was random ass Mississippi State lol. Literally no draw for a fan base that makes up excuses like “2 days before Christmas” “extra 30-40 minute drive from the RAC” “too cold today”

Lame.

If that was SHU, Villanova, UConn, or literally any other team people are familiar with in this area it would have been packed with the upper deck open.

5k is lame. Period. The game was lame. Period. Gotham classic? Lolololol.

Whoever was in charge of setting this game up should be let go. That’s how big of a flop it was.
I really don’t understand what so hard to understand. Mississippi State isn’t some random ass opponent
I just explained it to you.
It’s a quad 1 neutral site game. Like it or not, but that’s how the schedule is built. You can’t just ignore the main reason why the game was scheduled.
If you want to complain about it being called “The Gotham Classic” fine I get it, whatever.
But complaining about the opponent doesn’t make sense.
The truth is, WE SUCK. That’s why the atmosphere and turn out were bad.
We really complain about everything here

I really don’t understand what so hard to understand. Mississippi State isn’t some random ass opponent
I just explained it to you.
It’s a quad 1 neutral site game. Like it or not, but that’s how the schedule is built. You can’t just ignore the main reason why the game was scheduled.
If you want to complain about it being called “The Gotham Classic” fine I get it, whatever.
But complaining about the opponent doesn’t make sense.
The truth is, WE SUCK. That’s why the atmosphere and turn out were bad.
We really complain about everything here
It is a random opponent.

no one knows who Mississippi state is.

5k is pathetic. Iowa women’s wrestling drew 8k.

It is a random opponent.

no one knows who Mississippi state is.

5k is pathetic. Iowa women’s wrestling drew 8k.
So it’s pathetic because it's not same draw as Caitlin Clark?
You want to know what’s random. Ohio State and UCLA played in Atlanta last Saturday. No one was there. Were lucky we have the prudential center and MSG since no one wants to come to the RAC.
If we didn’t suck and knew how to grab a rebound more than 5K would go.
Btw, why would we play Uconn or Villanova like you mentioned earlier? How moronic would it be to schedule a game against a regional opponent that would be us by 20+. Talk about bad ideas.
Anyway, you’ve clearly shown zero clue why this game was scheduled despite it being clearly explained to you. I’m done for the night.

So it’s pathetic because it's not same draw as Caitlin Clark?
You want to know what’s random. Ohio State and UCLA played in Atlanta last Saturday. No one was there. Were lucky we have the prudential center and MSG since no one wants to come to the RAC.
If we didn’t suck and knew how to grab a rebound more than 5K would go.
Btw, why would we play Uconn or Villanova like you mentioned earlier? How moronic would it be to schedule a game against a regional opponent that would be us by 20+. Talk about bad ideas.
Anyway, you’ve clearly shown zero clue why this game was scheduled despite it being clearly explained to you. I’m done for the night.
You’re not even reading my posts lmao.

Iowa women’s WRESTLING. Yes, you read that correctly.

And now we’re comparing OSU vs UCLA in Atlanta to Rutgers vs Miss State in Newark.

A regional top opponent would actually make it a game worth promoting and attending. From a resume perspective, the game would be the same result..

Yeah I think I’m done for the night too. 5k is pathetic.

I am probably the wrong person to address this since I am happy to watch our games on TV, but this was our best OOC opponent, and every team plays games around the holidays. If people can’t get excited over this, maybe playing Stonehill next week will get people fired up . . .

A good amount of fans. Was all RU. Beautiful venue easy to get to, great concessions and bathroom access etc etc. I enjoyed the vibe alot. Who cares about the garden.

I agree the time and date were tough. Noon 2 days before Christmas is not ideal. Other than that I think we should do it again vs a similar opponent. The team has to play better though. Just not good most the year.

Last edited:
Now 0-4 in our last 4 neutral site games.

Miss St, Princeton, Temple, St. Bona

Low-upside games for the most part. Not to mention it’s unacceptable to not be able to pick up a victory against that group of teams
This was about as un-neutral as a neutral site game could be. It was in our own back yard against a good SEC team. AND it was in a building where we won just a couple weeks earlier. The site favored us, our play didnt favor much at all.

Didn't mind the date & time. Easy drive in/parking and Redd's after the game filled with RU fans. Comfortable and a good view of the game, albeit with lots of empty seats. If RU could have hit an open shot once in a while the crowd would have been more into it. Biggest pet peeve was no replays on the jumbo screen. Maybe just me, but I want to see some of the good/questionable plays over again.

Didn't mind the date & time. Easy drive in/parking and Redd's after the game filled with RU fans. Comfortable and a good view of the game, albeit with lots of empty seats. If RU could have hit an open shot once in a while the crowd would have been more into it. Biggest pet peeve was no replays on the jumbo screen. Maybe just me, but I want to see some of the good/questionable plays over again.
Agree. I was miffed about the fact no replays were shown.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT