ADVERTISEMENT

NJ State Wrestling Championships Thread:

Great to see Benner get back to the finals after a somehwat up and down season. His top game will serve him well in college.

Howard beat Mininno 3-1 in SV. Mininno took tons more shots and was the aggressor. Howard is a great scrambler but I hate the counter first style.

In the Finals vs Glory. So up to this point he was doing great!
I heard Glory was pinned in the semis, maybe in a cradle, and the ref missed it. Anyone have video or pics?

NJ.com and News12Nj will air the finals. Track wrestling will again stream all other non final rounds today.

SUNDAY'S LIVE COVERAGE • LIVE RESULTS from the WB semis at 10 a.m. and UPDATES of the 3rd/5th/7th Medal rounds
Championship finals pairings
videogif-a7b223a6837b0b53.gif
LIVE VIDEO & chat for the Championship finals, Sunday at 3

Reactions: CerealNTacos
195 Jacob Cardenas from Bergen Catholic is running through everyone in the tournament. I was pissed when I saw he was the 8 seen because the 1 seed is from my town. I thought they were the two best kids in the state at the weight and Cardenas pinned my guy. He is a turning machine from top and I think he will be a very good college wrestle someday, he is a junior.

If Bill Janzer's matches were being reffed by college ref's his opponents would all be stalled out. He is always moving forward and always doing the shooting, it is amazing to me that these ref's are not calling more stalling against the kids he wrestles. The scores of his matches doesn't reflect how much more dominant he is over his opponents. Him and Gravina are going to have battles in the practice room next year (can't wait for the reports WNG).

195 Jacob Cardenas from Bergen Catholic is running through everyone in the tournament. I was pissed when I saw he was the 8 seen because the 1 seed is from my town. I thought they were the two best kids in the state at the weight and Cardenas pinned my guy. He is a turning machine from top and I think he will be a very good college wrestle someday, he is a junior.

If Bill Janzer's matches were being reffed by college ref's his opponents would all be stalled out. He is always moving forward and always doing the shooting, it is amazing to me that these ref's are not calling more stalling against the kids he wrestles. The scores of his matches doesn't reflect how much more dominant he is over his opponents. Him and Gravina are going to have battles in the practice room next year (can't wait for the reports WNG).

Thank you for this. I haven’t been able to watch the states but i’ve been checking the scores of Janzer and Benner’s matches. I appreciate this info!

I agree Obrats. Also, I think HS officials are more hesitant to call stalling, or fleeing the mat, not to embarrass the overmatched HS kid. Not saying it’s right, just human nature.
Looking forward to Janzer vs MacKenzie.

Long time, first time on the board.

A couple of notes on the tourney:

• Seeding was the worst I've seen in years, especially 120. Completely throw out the results from last year and give the top seed to someone that lost and was out-placed by other wrestlers.
  • I appreciate the time and effort by NJ.com and the writers, but I miss the old days of coverage. I remember Bob Behre reporting wrestling for The Ledger and looking forward to getting the paper on Sunday morning of States. Seems there is less content when people are craving more articles and videos.
  • Trackwrestling wasn't terrible. Only complaint is the ridiculous amount of ads they cram between matches and on the sidebar on top of paying for a subscription.
  • Interesting Notes: 106 once again proves the Benjamin Button effect: Experience comes from incoming freshman and not with returning wrestlers. Fair Lawn's 113 Cedeno doesn't medal at states twice in a row despite being nationally ranked again (Heart breaking and hope next year he runs through the tournament). 126 Glory almost loses to Montgomery and mics pick up some heated remark as he walks off mat.
  • Rutgers should be eying Camden Catholic's Revano, BC's Cardenas, and McKenzie for football or wrestling. They are the real deals.

Reactions: IsItLuck
NJ States also being shown on TV on optimum channel 61. A replay available on NJ.com minutes after, they claim. Of course I have Big10s on TV and States on laptop, but might switch.

Janzer/McKenzie...No shots, no offense, not even an attempt to score until 1:35 in 3rd period with a shot by Janzer. Boring.

NJ States also being shown on TV on optimum channel 61. A replay available on NJ.com minutes after, they claim. Of course I have Big10s on TV and States on laptop, but might switch.

Is there a link for that, or a way for mortal humans to watch the finals online? Thanks...

Janzer worries me as he had no offense or aggression. I'm not sure that he will contribute at 182; definitely not next year anyway. He needs some offense.

Fernandes at 285 looked impressive. Very aggressive and athletic.

Reactions: Scarlet Knut
Janzer worries me as he had no offense or aggression. I'm not sure that he will contribute at 182; definitely not next year anyway. He needs some offense.

Fernandes at 285 looked impressive. Very aggressive and athletic.
Mckenzie is a beast in his own right. I wouldn't be too concerned, they just matched up very well, IMO.

Reactions: nikoru09
Mckenzie is a beast in his own right. I wouldn't be too concerned, they just matched up very well, IMO.
didn't anyone see the notable size difference..its obvious mac cuts for wrestling
i think he plays fb in the 190's...janzer looks like a small 182....janzer was moving forward the whole match and mac was backing up and always close to the line
if this was college he would have been banged for multiple stall calls.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT