ADVERTISEMENT

NJ State Wrestling Championships Thread:

Mckenzie is a beast in his own right. I wouldn't be too concerned, they just matched up very well, IMO.

Correct. If McKenzie wasn’t focused on football, he would be #1 in the country at 182. Tremendous talent. Once Janzer won the toss and got the first point, he didn’t need to be aggressive. He played it smart from that time on. I was down in AC; Janzer might have had the most takedowns in the whole tournament.

Janzer looked dominant all tournament but always wrestles tight matches against tough competition. (Escape the Rock finals, Paulsboro, and BC have all gone to OT/UTB). Love his aggressive style, but needs to keep pushing the action against better kids. In college, wrestler constantly winning tight matches get caught eventually.

Either way, big win for him today and looking forward to seeing him wearing the Block R at the RAC.

Last edited:
Janzers goal was to win the championship, not provide entertainment to the crowd. Sometimes wrestling smart according to a plan takes priority over gun slinging .. all depends on your opponent

Bottom line, Janzer is state champ again
I understand that and I'm glad he won it again. My concern is not enough offense against the top HS talent will hurt him in college if he doesn't change his style and look to score against that top talent. Just look at several on the team now and in the past.

I understand that and I'm glad he won it again. My concern is not enough offense against the top HS talent will hurt him in college if he doesn't change his style and look to score against that top talent. Just look at several on the team now and in the past.
As soon as Janzer won the toss to start the second, he knew what his strategy would be. He clearly has enough confidence in his defense and counter attacks to win big HS matches. If the ref isn't calling for action from either wrestler, why risk a shot that can lose you the mach?

Mekhi Lewis wrestled Janzer last year. Lewis won 2-1 in OT. Lewis won 5-3 in the state final. He is 28-2 during his Redshirt year. Would you make the same claim about him?

Ashnault won his matches leading up to his Senior state title with a 4-2 decision vs. Dinmore and a 3-1 decision vs. Richie Lewis. Would you make the same claim about him?

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
Janzers goal was to win the championship, not provide entertainment to the crowd. Sometimes wrestling smart according to a plan takes priority over gun slinging .. all depends on your opponent.

I think this is the correct answer to a lot of comments and questions about the sport that I see in various online forums...

To be honest, these are the types of kids who we typically recruit. Dominant against inferior wrestlers, not aggressive/offensive against top quality HS wrestlers. On the other hand, only extremely special wrestlers dominate top HS talent in the state tournament (Glory, Ashnault, Suriano, etc). Rarely are we going to recruit those types of wrestlers, at this point in our program. IMO.

However, from what I've seen and heard, Janzer is promising and is trying to score points in most of his matches he wrestles. I read a quote recently after he won regionals that he was disappointed he didnt score more points.

To be honest, these are the types of kids who we typically recruit. Dominant against inferior wrestlers, not aggressive/offensive against top quality HS wrestlers. On the other hand, only extremely special wrestlers dominate top HS talent in the state tournament (Glory, Ashnault, Suriano, etc). Rarely are we going to recruit those types of wrestlers, at this point in our program. IMO.

However, from what I've seen and heard, Janzer is promising and is trying to score points in most of his matches he wrestles. I read a quote recently after he won regionals that he was disappointed he didnt score more points.

Well, we recruit them...they just don't commit :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jantzer is a 2 time champ so Lewis could not have beat him in last year’s final

As soon as Janzer won the toss to start the second, he knew what his strategy would be. He clearly has enough confidence in his defense and counter attacks to win big HS matches. If the ref isn't calling for action from either wrestler, why risk a shot that can lose you the mach?

Mekhi Lewis wrestled Janzer last year. Lewis won 2-1 in OT. Lewis won 5-3 in the state final. He is 28-2 during his Redshirt year. Would you make the same claim about him?

Ashnault won his matches leading up to his Senior state title with a 4-2 decision vs. Dinmore and a 3-1 decision vs. Richie Lewis. Would you make the same claim about him?

Just to add to that even Suriano won his last final against Agaisse 5-2.
Janzer will be fine - He wrestled McKenzie who is a phenomenal athlete and beat him for the state title that's what matters.

Janzer worries me as he had no offense or aggression. I'm not sure that he will contribute at 182; definitely not next year anyway. He needs some offense.

Fernandes at 285 looked impressive. Very aggressive and athletic.
What planet were you on ...pin round one .then 14-15-13 points with two majors then the final ....how much more offense did he need to display .. two state titles ...I guess you really have no clue when you say he has no offense.

What planet were you on ...pin round one .then 14-15-13 points with two majors then the final ....how much more offense did he need to display .. two state titles ...I guess you really have no clue when you say he has no offense.
Go back and read my posts. My concern is against the top competition, not the lesser. Hopefully, it's unwarranted, but I've seen too often that it doesn't translate well to being very successful in college (think All American).

Fernandes reminds me a lot like Jimmy Lawson, especially being the rarity of a heavy that throws legs on top. Jimmy still goes down as the greatst HWT to wrestle in NJ, but I think Fernandes can develop into a top prospect with more weight. It would be a huge mistake if Rutgers doesn't do everything in their power to get him.

Janzer is a top prospect and I have no doubt in him. But saying he is ranked in the top 3 means nothing going into college. There are WAY too many examples of top college prospects barely even getting on the podium for the first time their RS Senior year. He wrestled a great tourney, I think with a Redshirt year under his belt, he'll tremendously improve his top game and offensive attacks. You can't win in college with cranking on a underhook for a minute and half.

Edit: New to the board, all of a sudden I keep getting a message there is a certain number of messages I can post in a day. Anyone know how I can fix this? Mods?

Last edited:
Reactions: Leonard23
Janzer looked dominant all tournament but always wrestles tight matches against tough competition. (Escape the Rock finals, Paulsboro, and BC have all gone to OT/UTB). Love his aggressive style, but needs to keep pushing the action against better kids. In college, wrestler constantly winning tight matches get caught eventually.

Either way, big win for him today and looking forward to seeing him wearing the Block R at the RAC.

Dean Heil approves this message...:okay::okay:[roll]

Reactions: obrats
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT