ADVERTISEMENT

No. 12 Rutgers Wrestling Heads to Weekend Quad at Davidson

Poz wins but didn’t look very good either.

Not sure what happened with some of these guys. They look sluggish and not very sharp. Not sure if they thought they could sleep walk through this but they are certainly not looking the part of a top team right now.

Reactions: koleszar
Big match for Boone here if I’m correct. Puts him right into the conversation for NCAA qualifier

Goodale really, really screwed up by not getting SOMEONE in the portal for 165. He knew this weight was a weakness well before the season started.
I'm not sure why people keep preaching this. No one screwed up. There wasn't anyone in the portal we could get and we've had some bad luck and misses in recruiting. Glasgow was a risk just like JoJo (different weights but similar risks, just look at what top schools pushed for either to commit or offered real $ and that should tell you something.) Unfortunately, recruiting hasn't gotten any easier, despite having 2 recent national champs, multiple AAs each year, 1 of the best practice facilities, and 1 of the best home arenas and match environments with top 5 attendance. Go talk to parents at some of the top clubs in NJ, like Buxton, Apex or Edge, and see where the coaches and then the parents are steering kids, even parents that are Rutgers alums.
Not to derail this thread, but who was the 165 in the portal that we had a chance at?

I posted this in August...
165 was the worst weight in the transfer Portal. Think there were about 9 165lbs in the portal(4 from Campbell..lol). I would say none were an upgrade or at best a slight upgrade than what we have. And we were not going to offer any of them $$$ to come. Of course I am not counting Evan Wick who was Penn State or Cal Poly, no one else had a chance with him.
This. Wick and Griffith weren't coming and there wasn't anyone else.
I don’t know who could have been realistic but Campbell University had 3 transfers out at 165 including the kid that just beat Clark. We got put behind the 8-ball with Glasgow flopping, Stanford keeping Griffith, and O’Neil getting a little too big. You also have to remember a couple years ago MVB was 157 and Kannaird was flirting with being a 165. I don’t think Goodale has ignored the weight class, I just think a large number of 165 projected starters ended up elsewhere
This too

Troubling losses by Turley and Kanniard. 165 is what it is. Maybe Angelo can bump up and win the spot. He wrestles more like a 165 anyway. Turley has to be hurt. Low conditioning and Losing 12-6 to a nobody. Something is up there.

What do the parents say is their reasoning?
I hear Knox and McGowan already thinking UPenn. McGowan because of Ivy and Burroughs I’ve heard. A Perentin looking Princeton. The Ivys say they’re academic first but it’s BS. They find loopholes to break their own rules lower standards significantly for athletes and use Ivy label as recruiting tool. Now NIL going to swing it even further in their favor.

In NJ, most elite kids on path the Delbarton/Blair looking to cash wrestling in on Ivy education they would have no shot at otherwise. That’s why I’ve felt for while we need to build stronger pipeline into PA. The profile of kids there is more blue collar and hence more favorable to state university.

RU loses that bonus match and the Clation meet is done.
RU won the meet but still not sure of final score. I think it was 28-10 assuming Boone got the MD.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT