ADVERTISEMENT

No. 12 Rutgers Wrestling Heads to Weekend Quad at Davidson

Troubling losses by Turley and Kanniard. 165 is what it is. Maybe Angelo can bump up and win the spot. He wrestles more like a 165 anyway. Turley has to be hurt. Low conditioning and Losing 12-6 to a nobody. Something is up there.
Turley has history of coming into the season out of shape. Boone did too but he's looking better this year. Some people need more management than others.

Turley has history of coming into the season out of shape. Boone did too but he's looking better this year. Some people need more management than others.
I did not see Turley match, but if he is not high energy, something must be wrong. I will worry about him in January if he is still having problems

I hear Knox and McGowan already thinking UPenn. McGowan because of Ivy and Burroughs I’ve heard. A Perentin looking Princeton. The Ivys say they’re academic first but it’s BS. They find loopholes to break their own rules lower standards significantly for athletes and use Ivy label as recruiting tool. Now NIL going to swing it even further in their favor.

In NJ, most elite kids on path the Delbarton/Blair looking to cash wrestling in on Ivy education they would have no shot at otherwise. That’s why I’ve felt for while we need to build stronger pipeline into PA. The profile of kids there is more blue collar and hence more favorable to state university.
If my son had an opportunity to go Ivy, I'd encourage him to do it. If I had to pay for it, I'd encourage him to go Rutgers. Most kids from those wrestling clubs do not go Ivy, so my question remains: what do they say are the reasons they steer away from Rutgers?

I did not see Turley match, but if he is not high energy, something must be wrong. I will worry about him in January if he is still having problems

It was a very sloppy match from the feet to the ground. He looked weak and lost. Not the same guy that wrestled last season. I hope he's okay health-wise. Hopefully he wrestles today and regroups. This was a huge upset, especially if they got the name correct on his opponent. That kid is registered as 149 on the Clarion site.

If my son had an opportunity to go Ivy, I'd encourage him to do it. If I had to pay for it, I'd encourage him to go Rutgers. Most kids from those wrestling clubs do not go Ivy, so my question remains: what do they say are the reasons they steer away from Rutgers?
The question itself is wrong. Rutgers is an option for plenty of kids who go to those clubs. Many aren’t good enough to compete at B10 level. But a significant number or true elite in NJ go private from get go in high school ala Blair/Delbarton. And those kids have their eyes set on top academic colleges often private or Ivy. That’s the answer to your question.

The other teams are just wrestling much harder.

Last edited:
Can we really say recruiting is a problem for Rutgers right now? We have one hole on this team, 4 All American if you count Alvarez’s COVID year AA. Boone is a Juvo national champ and will likely at AA, Hamilton was at one time rated the number 1 HWt nationally until losing to the new number 1. Peterson at 125 is an absolute stud, #1 at his weight class in high school, casale is a top jersey kid. And soldanado is the top jersey kid. Yes there are still programs higher then us in the pecking order but right now Rutgers is becoming a powerhouse more and more each year. I’m not sure what you guys expect at this point. We are not at PSU, Ohio st, OSU level yet. But we are on a strong upward trend.

Clark literally can’t do anything and I’m sorry but he isn’t the answer. He is 0-2 vs randoms from Clarion and Davidson and wasn’t even close to anything. We can’t be bringing him out against B1G opponents.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT