ADVERTISEMENT

No. 15 Rutgers Wrestling Treks to 2018 Journeymen Duals Saturday

We really need to improve our hand fighting, head and head defense and set ups in the neutral position.

Hey Bill. Is John Vanbrill cutting to much weight? He hasn’t looked at all this year. As far as the rest of the guys I for didn’t have high hopes for dual meets this year. The line up when heathy has tons of hole. 125-141-165-174-197-Hwt. When u have that many question marks how can u expect to be a top Ten dual team? Honestly throw in 184 in there as well because even when heathy you have to hold your breath every time Gravina wrestles that his shoulder hold out. I know it’s one match and Nebraska barely beat UV before we wrestled them but again they got the win. I think Vegas is going to be very rough if we wrestle this way. Two champs would be awesome though.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
We really need to improve our hand fighting, head and head defense and set ups in the neutral position.

TO think they were going to walk in and beat this team.It is going to be a long season with Suriano & Ashnault as the brightest spots in contending for a title.They will both make the season worthwhile watching if they win national championships.

-Not sure what happened to the Vanbrills today.Mike fizzled out in the Utah valley match getting pinned with 6 point swing.They really took it to John as a top 10 ranked wrestler, both of his opponents got the best of him.I expected a better effort in finishing matches.
-Glasgow you can see a big difference with a top 15 opponent.Kid was huge in comparison.I expected those results from him and it will continue this way for the rest of the season.Better defense in letting other wrestlers on your legs.
-Maybe swap Glasgow and Vanbrill weights just as we did last year with Lewis.

The coaching staff cannot be happy with this lackluster performance overall.I would like to be a fly on the wall in the next practice.They really need to work on positional wrestling and going hard all periods.

Passé
No he is not cutting too much weight. It looks like we have holes and need to toughen up or the dual meet season may not be pretty. Disappointing loss today. UV wrestled tough

Passé
No he is not cutting too much weight. It looks like we have holes and need to toughen up or the dual meet season may not be pretty. Disappointing loss today. UV wrestled tough

Toughen up we really need or it is going to be a bad dual season with many losses.

Tell me that did not just happen....
Passé
JVB made R12 last year @165... he has the frame and did fine there. Glasgow would be better fit @157.. if they swapped weights it would help all parties involved.

Reactions: dollarbill

JVB made R12 last year @165... he has the frame and did fine there. Glasgow would be better fit @157.. if they swapped weights it would help all parties involved.

JVB was R12 at 157 last year......165 this year is a deeper and tougher weight than 157.

Van Brill was at 157 last year

I got the weight mixed up bc last year I remembered ppl saying RL picked his weight instead of being a team player or something and that there was another weight both of them and team would have been more optimal for... which was I thought was JVB at 65..

Team will do better if they swap 157/165. Maybe they can wrestle off again in a few months. $$$$

Team will do better if they swap 157/165. Maybe they can wrestle off again in a few months. $$$$

Just curious why you think that? They are both 157lbers, right now you have your best 157lber at 157. 157 at Nationals will be easier to AA (relative to 165, no weight is easy to AA, lol). If JVB is still beating Glasgow, he should stay at 157 or you weaken two weights.

Let's be clear. There are two AA's on this team right now. Period. I'm hoping for a third, but it's no given. Heard the same thing about 4-5 potential AA's last year and I knew that was a reach. Scotty D always had the pedigree and it just came together.

People don't realize 1. How f'ing hard this sport is at the elite level 2. How hard it is to break into the top 8.

Love JVB. I had a similar style so I respect his funk... but he looks flat out bad right now. I'm not sure if coaches have caught on or what, but he needs to wake up and make some adjustments quickly.

Glasgow is going to be good. He's a freshman who basically missed a year and is wrestling up a weight. I stand by my prediction that he AA's by his junior year.

Just curious why you think that? They are both 157lbers, right now you have your best 157lber at 157. 157 at Nationals will be easier to AA (relative to 165, no weight is easy to AA, lol). If JVB is still beating Glasgow, he should stay at 157 or you weaken two weights.
I was under the impression last year.. JVB wanted to go 165.. That RL didn't want to cut weight and bc he wanted to go 165 it forced JVB to cut down to 157.... So then ppl were saying RL was being selfish/not taking one for team for making JVB go down and that it was better for team if RL 57 and JVB at 65.. which woulda been optimal weight for both..could I have remembered this all wrong?

I'm far from an expert, but JVB doesn't look at full strength at 157. Glasgow, a true freshman, is being asked to wrestle up one weight, where he will surely be overmatched at times. Glasgow will develop a lot quicker by wrestling at 157, and JVB will hold his own at 165, maybe even do better up a few pounds. I think we score more team points this way. $$$$

Reactions: RickB113
Just got home from watching a fvcking nightmare to reading a fvcking nightmare. What looked to a be a promising season quickly turned into utter concern.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
Let's be clear. There are two AA's on this team right now. Period. I'm hoping for a third, but it's no given. Heard the same thing about 4-5 potential AA's last year and I knew that was a reach. Scotty D always had the pedigree and it just came together.

People don't realize 1. How f'ing hard this sport is at the elite level 2. How hard it is to break into the top 8.

Love JVB. I had a similar style so I respect his funk... but he looks flat out bad right now. I'm not sure if coaches have caught on or what, but he needs to wake up and make some adjustments quickly.

Glasgow is going to be good. He's a freshman who basically missed a year and is wrestling up a weight. I stand by my prediction that he AA's by his junior year.
I

I’ll be very surprised if we have more than 2 All Americans. I hope Gravina can get there as well as Van Brill. It’s early so who knows what’s going on.

I’d rather a clunker like this now than in March.

Maybe JVB is banged up.. what about MVB? Will someone challenge for that spot? Clearly? Lipari?

When did the team arrive in Utah? Orem has an elevation of about 4,800 feet and if they arrived Friday that wouldn't be much time to adjust for two matches on Saturday.

Reactions: biazza38
I watched both matches and, for what it is worth, here are some thoughts.

125- Competition wasn’t great but Metzler wrestled well. He kept good position, was aggressive without being reckless and wrestled tactically smart in both matches.

133- Nick looked solid. To win a NCAA title he needs to improve his skills on top.

141- MVB was his own worst enemy. He has a good single leg especially as a re-attack but didn’t use it in either match. His scrambling was reckless, poorly timed and ineffective. He tries to use the same tilt on top all the time and both wrestlers, especially App state, were ready for it and countered it well. He is better than he wrestled today.

149- AA was sluggish today. He didn’t fully commit to shots on his feet and it hurt him, especially in the second match. He was on the UVU guys ankle several times and just let it go. He made both guys he wrestled look better than they actually are.

157- JVB is way better than he wrestled today. Like his brother, his scrambling was atrocious. Bad positioning and horrible head and hand defense allowed both opponents to easily get to his legs. He didn’t look great last weekend either but I hope he can wrestle through it.

165- Glasgow got manhandled, especially in his second match. He allowed the first kid to stay in the match before beating him late and got rag dolled by the second kid who scored a few takedowns on cheap throw bys. The second kid broke him which is a bit concerning but it happens. He needs to improve on top as well.

174- Grello wrestled ok but just has zero confidence on his feet. He got sloppy on top in the second match against a good UVU kid.

184- Pagano looked great in the first match but then regressed in the second match against a less credentialed wrestler. He can’t take those terrible shots from space and get caught underneath. Also needs to work on finishing his escapes once he gets to his feet.

197- Correnti needs to tighten up his positioning in all three positions. He had the first kid beat and then gives up a cheap tilt late. The guy has a lot of talent but wrestles sloppy.

285- Colucci looked fine.He just needs to pull the trigger on his feet and take some more risk.

Ultimately, UVU outworked us today and exposed several weaknesses we need to tighten up. We have keep better position on our feet and be more aggressive. We also need to ride tighter and be more physical on top. Hopefully we use this as motivation to improve.

Last edited:
Seems like every year Goodale’s squad has that WTF loss. Looks like it’s Utah Valley this year.

RU needs a talent upgrade to be considered a bigtime program.

Been saying for a years. Need a big name HC to have a shot at the truly top talent out there outside of NJ. A loss like this is a killer for recruiting

Whats all the talk about Rutgers top 10 after UV smokes them? The team as whole didnt look ready to wrestle. Even AA was riden 2 straight minutes in per 1.

Against this competition, Id of expected Rutgers wrestlers to be more aggressive than usual, they appeared just the opposite.

Do you realize RU wrestlers lost the last 6 matches and 7 of the last 8 to UV???

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
I was under the impression last year.. JVB wanted to go 165.. That RL didn't want to cut weight and bc he wanted to go 165 it forced JVB to cut down to 157.... So then ppl were saying RL was being selfish/not taking one for team for making JVB go down and that it was better for team if RL 57 and JVB at 65.. which woulda been optimal weight for both..could I have remembered this all wrong?

JVB is a 157, if he wanted to go 165 he would and Glasgow would have gone 157.....I think the RL situation last year starting at 157 and then moving up......people were upset that he did not want to stay 157 because.1-he beat the #2 seed LaValle the year before, 2.-157-was an easier weight class and a lot of RU fans thought Lewis could make the final or finish a high AA at 157. 3. They were worried that if Lewis moved up he might not AA and instead of a high AA at 157 and no AA at 165, RU might not get any AA's at those weights(nobody saw JVB Ncaa run coming).

I'm far from an expert, but JVB doesn't look at full strength at 157. Glasgow, a true freshman, is being asked to wrestle up one weight, where he will surely be overmatched at times. Glasgow will develop a lot quicker by wrestling at 157, and JVB will hold his own at 165, maybe even do better up a few pounds. I think we score more team points this way. $$$$

I agree JVB has not looked like himself this year so far. But from what I am told he is not having weight issues, he wanted to go 157.
Agree Glasgow would develop quicker at 157
Disagree with scoring more points at Nationals with the flip of weights. Teams score at Nationals by becoming AA's . JVB is ranked 9th and if he wrestles like last year could AA. I dont see Glasgow AA'ing at 157 or JVB AA'ing at 165.
Winning 1 or 2 matches at Nationals barely moves the team score. Lewis went 3-2 last year and scored 3 team points. DelVecchio finishing 6th scored 12.5.

Any way it is very early in the season, RU was not the only team to have guys "upset" yesterday. AA Chad Redd from Neb lost 2 times.

A head scratcher for sure although the Utah score against Nebraska should have provided proper warning to the team. Makes you wonder if some our guys who have been around for awhile have developed the mental discipline and toughness to take it to the next level. It is a tough sport.

Our coaches need to also take responsibility in ensuring our team is ready to go.When a team travels from Utah wrestling with more energy than us.It is just not acceptable.All the wrestlers need to be broke in the room to keep them mentally prepared.

Recruits are expecting to see a better team and potential National Champion/AA ability wrestling for Rutgers.If not they move on to other schools and perform better.We have multiple examples of jersey wrestlers doing well elsewhere.We need to develop the high talent and turn them in perennial AAs

Fair point but for the most part, the coaches have actually done more with less. JVB and Gravina, both round of 12 guys, never even won a state title in high school. My issue with yesterday was a lack of aggressiveness and that it seemed like we got out hustled.

Fair point but for the most part, the coaches have actually done more with less. JVB and Gravina, both round of 12 guys, never even won a state title in high school. My issue with yesterday was a lack of aggressiveness and that it seemed like we got out hustled.

Same thought on development of guys.

I am not as worried about JVB. He has always had head scratchers and he’s always showed up at crunch time. I’ll worry if he has a few of these before Vegas.

Vegas will be the barometer IMO. A good showing there will alleviate some panic.

Also, it’s discouraging we are 3 years removed from sending all 10 to nationals and now we potentially may get “95% of our team points at nationals from 2 guys.

ADVERTISEMENT