ADVERTISEMENT

No. 18 Wrestling Closes Long Road Swing at RV Indiana (Friday), No. 7 Ohio State (Sunday)

I m giving Goodale a long leash. He has earned it and then some. However if we re going to make a change the most decorated wrestler in US history and most recognizable happens to be at the tail end of his career is living in south jersey working at UPENN and coaching his son. If we want to get to the top 5 that is the guy you hire. I know he and his wife would be more than happy to stay in New Jersey. And the aftershocks of that earthquake hire would be felt throughout the US.
Good call. If we move on from Goodale then Hobbs needs to throw stupid money at Burroughs.

I m giving Goodale a long leash. He has earned it and then some. However if we re going to make a change the most decorated wrestler in US history and most recognizable happens to be at the tail end of his career is living in south jersey working at UPENN and coaching his son. If we want to get to the top 5 that is the guy you hire. I know he and his wife would be more than happy to stay in New Jersey. And the aftershocks of that earthquake hire would be felt throughout the US.
That would be nice but without any connection to the school idk where that would come from. A big ole bag of cash at the minimum and Penn/rtc is supported by some heavy, heavy donors at this point

From last season. I'll just copy and paste each year.
"Rutgers wrestling and this forum repeat the same stages every year. There's the manic stage where the enthusiasm is high and the expectations great. "This is our best line up ever". The rankings look good. There is some early success mixed with unexpected disappointment. The season gets rolling and there's great disappointment, rankings drop. The forum goes into a WTF discussion and questions what's going on and some coaching criticism. That is followed by reconciliation and support for the coaching. Then the manic stage starts again with the battle cry of "just wait until next year". Repeat from beginning."

I hope Kannaird is ok. He was in clear control of that match and I can't imagine he gives that up without being hurt. He gives us a guy that has a shot at competing at a weight we have nothing else at this point.

Serious question, would you take the Ferrari's now? (If elgible). They are tough as it gets and work really hard. Our upper weights could use the help. Unless we get some transfers, there's going to be some serious holes to fill for a few years.

Reactions: c_husk
"Rutgers wrestling and this forum repeat the same stages every year. There's the manic stage where the enthusiasm is high and the expectations great. "This is our best line up ever". The rankings look good. There is some early success mixed with unexpected disappointment. The season gets rolling and there's great disappointment, rankings drop. The forum goes into a WTF discussion and questions what's going on and some coaching criticism. That is followed by reconciliation and support for the coaching. Then the manic stage starts again with the battle cry of "just wait until next year". Repeat from beginning."
This is the first year where you can tangibly say the team has regressed when and if they go 0-8 in the B1G and don't produce in B1Gs/NCAAs. Pay attention to fan attendance, if that goes then Hobbs is gonna have to make tough decisions.

I'd take the younger one without any issue. Staff knows him well and he's talented. Older one wouldn't touch without any kind of finish to his legal issues. And then it's still a stretch.

Reactions: RUpop
????

This program has plateaued under Goodale. I appreciate all he has done, but this program is on the backend of a bell curve. There was much better talent here from 2010-2017 than there is now. And that was when we were in a crappy little practice room.

The new facility was supposed to help the program. That doesn’t seems to be happening. At some point you need to hold up your end of the bargain and he isn’t doing that.

Serious question, would you take the Ferrari's now? (If elgible). They are tough as it gets and work really hard. Our upper weights could use the help. Unless we get some transfers, there's going to be some serious holes to fill for a few years.
Think you have to stay away from AJ with all the criminal charges and the sexual harassment thing. Got no issue with the other ones.

Ignore him. Guy just likes to hear himself talk. Never seen someone give so many opinions on what wrestlers are doing wrong, and then ask as recently as a week ago whether or not Rutgers streams their matches.

This program has plateaued under Goodale. I appreciate all he has done, but this program is on the backend of a bell curve. There was much better talent here from 2010-2017 than there is now. And that was when we were in a crappy little practice room.

The new facility was supposed to help the program. That doesn’t seems to be happening. At some point you need to hold up your end of the bargain and he isn’t doing that.
He has everything he needs to have a perennial Top 10 program and if anything the program is getting worse. Hobbs is going to really start having to pay attention now especially to ticket sales/fan attendance.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
Think you have to stay away from AJ with all the criminal charges and the sexual harassment thing. Got no issue with the other ones.
I would not take any of them...you get the family with one. The middle brother was denied admission to Ok State before he even enrolled for shooting up a house! He is still not on any other college roster for a reason, he like AJ is bad news.

I would not take any of them...you get the family with one. The middle brother was denied admission to Ok State before he even enrolled for shooting up a house! He is still not on any other college roster for a reason, he like AJ is bad news.
Then yeah, stay away from him too. Don’t think it’s fair to fault Angelo for the struggles of the other two.

Bottom line after tonight's match.... Can't lose to Indiana. Even w a guy or two out. Shows lack of depth.

We as fans and being from one of the best states for wrestling in the country expect the team to compete w the best in the big ten.

I don't think anyone here thinks we beat Iowa or Penn state but it's not crazy to be competitive with them and be in the top 5 of the big ten year in year out w the talent our state has. This is an incredibly frustrating loss.

Bottom line after tonight's match.... Can't lose to Indiana. Even w a guy or two out. Shows lack of depth.

We as fans and being from one of the best states for wrestling in the country expect the team to compete w the best in the big ten.

I don't think anyone here thinks we beat Iowa or Penn state but it's not crazy to be competitive with them and be in the top 5 of the big ten year in year out w the talent our state has. This is an incredibly frustrating loss.
Exactly. There is absolutely no reason why this program should not be Top 10 annually given its resources, recruiting base, and fan support. Tonight literally is the first time I'm seriously questioning Goodale and the direction of the program. Bad recruiting, losing duals to teams we have no business losing to, the Alvarez drama...right now the program is heading in a bad direction.

And before anyone takes it the wrong way, I'm not questioning anyone or anything.
I know the guys in there are banging heads in the room hard working their asses off and I appreciate their commitment and dedication to the team. We just need to figure out where the gap is, why, and what we can do to close it with these other top teams.

I hope Kannaird is ok. He was in clear control of that match and I can't imagine he gives that up without being hurt. He gives us a guy that has a shot at competing at a weight we have nothing else at this point.
He had to be walked off. He’s hurt

Wtf, did we just lose to Indiana?
We don’t lose to them in anything and wrestling just lost to them?
I’m not a big follower of wrestling, but I know ever since Ashnault graduated, the program has certainly taken a few steps back.
Getting two All Americans last year was nice, but man tonight can’t happen.
What’s recruiting look like?

The head butt didn't help, especially if we had the tie breaker. I'll go with Boone in the B1G consolation match. $$$$

I hate to say this, but the Terps are going to be a tougher opponent than Indiana. They just beat Oklahoma today.

Pretty simple, recruiting , recruiting, recruiting.

We have one of the nicest practice facility in the country, we have a rabid home crowd, but we haven't brought a real hammer in for a few years. The question is why aren't we getting the better recruits.

We have one of the nicest practice facility in the country, we have a rabid home crowd, but we haven't brought a real hammer in for a few years. The question is why aren't we getting the better recruits.
Peterson and Soldano are the future hammers rn, both top 15 class recruits.. we might need to recruit out of nj tho.. besides Blair/Delbarton kids not too many highly ranked nationally ranked nj kids coming up..

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Not a good look for RU with this embarrassing lose to Indiana and losing one of their top wrestlers this week. Someone in other thread mentioned he is going to Ok State but not sure if true.

Indiana is not a D3 school folks. Everyone makes it like it is a pushover. They are 6-1 with an upper class loaded team. Should we have beaten them? Yes. We would have if Kannaird had won instead of getting pinned when hurt. OS U won’t be pretty so get ready to blast away. By the way, I am out here with the team and Donny does as much coaching this team as Scott does

I consider both Poz and Soldano to be hammers. Maybe my hammer is a softer blow, but I'm happy with those guys if we can keep them both. Peterson out of high school was highly regarded and still has potential if developed. Wasn't Aragona supposed to be a hammer? And of course, Sammy no slouch if...

It would be interesting to look at the top-ranked guys now and see how many came from NJ. I don't recognize the HS kid's names anymore, but know that there are several: Glory, Van Ness, Griffith, Lewis, and Foca, Probably more. We wouldn't get them all in the best of cases, but NJ certainly produces a lot of top wrestlers.

Indiana is not a D3 school folks. Everyone makes it like it is a pushover. They are 6-1 with an upper class loaded team. Should we have beaten them? Yes. We would have if Kannaird had won instead of getting pinned when hurt. OS U won’t be pretty so get ready to blast away. By the way, I am out here with the team and Donny does as much coaching this team as Scott does
I have no unrealistic expectations for the OSU match. No injuries would be great. I see us with small disadvantages at 125, 141, and 184. Winning any number of those three would be nice with Soldano's match being the one I most look forward to.

Reactions: KidDagger
Hate to disagree with our best fan. But something doesn't smell right in Denmark.

The direction of the program doesn't seem upward.. Indiana was the only Big Ten team that hadn't beaten us in the last ten years. Suriano transferred to Michigan. Ashnault left to train at the NYRTC. Maybe both left for good reasons. But, not a good look when our only national champs are no longer associated with the program. Leonardis left as Director of the SKWC. He was coaching with Goodale from the beginning and left in the middle of a season.He seemed to be a quality and leaving in the middle of the season seemed out of character. Martin, an upper weight former national champ, left as the full time athlete. OK, but we didn't hire a big man coach or a full-time resident athlete, after Martin and Ashnault left. No ranked recruits in incoming September class. The cupcake schedule this year may not have prepared our wrestlers for Big Ten competition. Maybe there are good reasons for these examples that the average fan is not aware of.

As others stated, we have a great practice facility, are in a top state for high school wrestling, have a great fan base, and the SKWC has a lot of money.

What factors are causing the current direction of the program?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT