ADVERTISEMENT

Officially Transferring: Akwasi Yeboah- Possible Stony Brook Grad Transfer.

There is Nobody out there that we are getting that is better than Duke at this point in the game. You are being unrealistic with how many bigs a team needs in today’s game. We are set at the five. We need guys who can score.
Huh? Do you know when we landed Gettys? Cause he was more of an impact than we'll probably ever see from Duke on this team. I don't know how you can say we are set at the 5 with a straight face..that's a complete joke. Maybe if Myles learns how to not foul out with starter minutes. I'd love nothing more than for Duke to realize his four star potential but we haven't seen one shred of evidence it'll happen.

Last edited:
Huh? Do you know when we landed Gettys? Cause he was more of an impact than we'll probably ever see from Duke on this team. I don't know how you can say we are set at the 5 with a straight face..that's a complete joke. Maybe if Myles learns how to not foul out with starter minutes. I'd love nothing more than for Duke to realize his four star potential but we haven't seen one shred of evidence it'll happen.
We haven't seen it yet but Duke will he a red shirt soph. And he'll have had 2 full years of coaching from guys who really know what they are doing. Look at Gene's progress from year 2 to 3.
Not saying anything is definite but people write off our players years too early. People wrote off McConnel and Mathis after a couple weeks. People said Harper should not shoot another 3 all year after just a month of college ball.

The Nick Ward, Kaleb Wesson concerns are valid BUT that is as matchup in favor of our opponents if we play Shaq Doorson or Shaq Carter or Myles Johnson because Wesson doesn't have to move defensively.

If you land a stretch 4 who is a willing rebounder and can possibly be a weakside defender, then Ward or Wesson, have to run around screens or defend the 3 point line...in that instance, the opponent has to sacrifice points, which they won't do.

The key for RU making the next step started in the 1st 2 games of the year....Eugene drained 6 of 7 from 3 and that style of play translates because you are asking Eugene to defend 4's & some 5's.

The Eugene that doesn't drain perimeter shots is a PF that has to score inside, with a bunch of post moves, when the player can't lift because of his knee....a single defender may get faked out by one of Eugene's moves, but the other defender guarding Carter, Johnson, Doorson is anchored in the paint and can block Eugene's shot.....which may force Eugene to make a difficult pass to another big for a shot, dunk or worse case is a fouled Doorson, Myles, who aren't good FT shooters.

If the "5" is Eugene, opponents have to let Eugene operate in the low post or double...Eugene is a very good passer and if Yeboah or Harper is your "4"....Nick Ward or Wesson is the player guarding Eugene and another defender at 6'6 to 6'8, has to matchup against Yeboah.

For once, RU could dictate matchups to an opponent.

For those watching MSU, they played better with Goins and Tillman in Ward's place, because they can crash the boards AND they can get out on shooters like Teske and Brazdekis of Michigan. The Michigan and MSU games become immediately more of a matchup for RU, because Doorson, Myles, Carter or Eugene aren't quick enough to get from the paint to try and defend Teske, Brazdekis or other shooters on Iowa like Baer or Georgi who have range.

I think if you landed Yaboah AND Wake Forest lets go of Danny Manning and Massoud is freed up, you take both scorers, spread, shoot and ask Myles, Doucoure and Carter to be your 5 in spots.

Having a rebounding, shooter at the 5 or 4, that can defend is the key. Having a shooter at the 4, who can't defend or isn't tough enough to rebound is a player that only gives spot minutes and is a net overall negative in today's game.

I haven't watched the entire game film but Yaboah, Massoud, Young and Mulcahy with the remaining returners is an NCAA caliber roster for the next 3 years. Not a one year hope, it would consistently score and create matchups that can score enough and defend enough to be a problem.

If he can shoot from the perimeter he will have great impact. I suspect next year Rutgers will be playing with a lot of small line-ups

The Nick Ward, Kaleb Wesson concerns are valid BUT that is as matchup in favor of our opponents if we play Shaq Doorson or Shaq Carter or Myles Johnson because Wesson doesn't have to move defensively.

If you land a stretch 4 who is a willing rebounder and can possibly be a weakside defender, then Ward or Wesson, have to run around screens or defend the 3 point line...in that instance, the opponent has to sacrifice points, which they won't do.

The key for RU making the next step started in the 1st 2 games of the year....Eugene drained 6 of 7 from 3 and that style of play translates because you are asking Eugene to defend 4's & some 5's.

The Eugene that doesn't drain perimeter shots is a PF that has to score inside, with a bunch of post moves, when the player can't lift because of his knee....a single defender may get faked out by one of Eugene's moves, but the other defender guarding Carter, Johnson, Doorson is anchored in the paint and can block Eugene's shot.....which may force Eugene to make a difficult pass to another big for a shot, dunk or worse case is a fouled Doorson, Myles, who aren't good FT shooters.

If the "5" is Eugene, opponents have to let Eugene operate in the low post or double...Eugene is a very good passer and if Yeboah or Harper is your "4"....Nick Ward or Wesson is the player guarding Eugene and another defender at 6'6 to 6'8, has to matchup against Yeboah.

For those watching MSU, they played better with Goins and Tillman in Ward's place, because they can crash the boards AND they can get out on shooters like Teske and Brazdekis of Michigan. The Michigan and MSU games become immediately more of a matchup for RU, because Doorson, Myles, Carter or Eugene aren't quick enough to get from the paint to try and defend Teske, Brazdekis or other shooters on Iowa like Baer or Georgi who have range.

I think if you landed Yaboah AND Wake Forest lets go of Danny Manning and Massoud is freed up, you take both scorers, spread, shoot and ask Myles, Doucoure and Carter to be your 5 in spots.

Having a rebounding, shooter at the 5 or 4, that can defend is the key. Having a shooter at the 4, who can't defend or isn't tough enough to rebound is a player that only gives spot minutes and is a net overall negative in today's game.

I haven't watched the entire game film but Yaboah, Massoud, Young and Mulcahy with the remaining returners is an NCAA caliber roster for the next 3 years. Not a one year hope, it would consistently score and create matchups that can score enough and defend enough to be a problem.
Doorson was fine defensively inside but he was repeatedly torched by opposing fives hitting from the outside. I actually think Carter makes a bigger jump next year than anyone on the team.

Shooting .313 from 3, and that will likely decrease amongst much better BIG 10 position.

I guess this conversation is all speculation as well. I'll wait to hear if anything becomes more definitive that he is actually interested in Rutgers.

Doorson was fine defensively inside but he was repeatedly torched by opposing fives hitting from the outside. I actually think Carter makes a bigger jump next year than anyone on the team.

I hope you're right, because Carter's defense left a LOT to be desired this year. He needs to get stronger and toughen up if he's going to defend B1G post players.

Shot 34% his first season and 35.5% his second season from 3. This year he shot close to 32% at 31.7%. He made 5 more threes than his 2nd season but took 60 more.

Shot 34% his first season and 35.5% his second season from 3. This year he shot close to 32% at 31.7%. He made 5 more threes than his 2nd season but took 60 more.

Thanks for the info. I saw a general increase in minutes as well from freshman year to now.

More room next year behind Omoruyi than any guard position. I do expect many of the guards to improve. Are his numbers enough to take any position above anyone currently on the roster?

It will be interesting to see Massoud play out as well.

Shaq carter + duke can play 13 mins combined a night, myles 22 mins and those other 5 mins we go small and run

Im not either but heres the thing. Watch the tape vs south carolina of this kid. We get this kid and our team is tourney bound and carter and duke probably never see the floor. This kid is a 4 with the athleticism of a 3.

He didnt have a great game vs south carolina efficiency wise but still dropped 24 points and pulled down 11 boards in a road win at south carolina. His first half was inefficient, second half he played extremely well

Whats the biggest thing we struggled with on D this year? Defender high pick and rolls because were a hedge team, not a switch team. This kid is 6-6 235 and plays the 4 and plays it damn well on D but has the athleticism to switch off and defend guards.

Imo hes gonna be one of the top 3 sought after grad transfers in the country and luckily we have a little inside track

This kid makes this team a ton better than duke. And this kid is a 4

I’m more curious as to know if there is a consensus for which cure the starter he would put on the bench. A few options.

No brainer to take an athletic 6'6" experienced forward, who can hit from three, can rebound, and is nearly an 80% FT shooter. By the way, in the two games against us, he went for 21/6 in their win against us last year and he went for 18/3 in their loss to us 2 years ago.

Nailed it

I’m more curious as to know if there is a consensus for which cure the starter he would put on the bench. A few options.
Honestly, if we land this kid, I think no starters go to the bench to begin the year. Historically when we start the year we start vs lower level smaller teams. Yeboah has guarded 7 footers and done a heckuva job doing so from the now 2 game tapes I watched on him. I think if he comes to game 1 starting lineup would be Geo-Young-Harper-Yeboah-Gene and that is a dangeroussssss starting lineup

Honestly, if we land this kid, I think no starters go to the bench to begin the year. Historically when we start the year we start vs lower level smaller teams. Yeboah has guarded 7 footers and done a heckuva job doing so from the now 2 game tapes I watched on him. I think if he comes to game 1 starting lineup would be Geo-Young-Harper-Yeboah-Gene and that is a dangeroussssss starting lineup
I simply can't see him starting over Myles. If he's as good as we hope, I could see him not starting, but playing close to starter's minutes off the bench. I do like that lineup you just mentioned, though, especially when we want to press - that's a pretty athletic bunch (assuming EO is healthy).

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I simply can't see him starting over Myles. If he's as good as we hope, I could see him not starting, but playing close to starter's minutes off the bench. I do like that lineup you just mentioned, though, especially when we want to press - that's a pretty athletic bunch (assuming EO is healthy).
Highly sought after grad transfers dont come in to come off the bench. Pike has told guys he's all about finishers, not starters so personally I don't think myles would have any problem coming off the bench. But with Geo-Young-Harper-Yeboah we have 4 legitimate 3 point threats on the 4 creating a ton of space for eugene inside

Reactions: biazza38
Highly sought after grad transfers dont come in to come off the bench. Pike has told guys he's all about finishers, not starters so personally I don't think myles would have any problem coming off the bench. But with Geo-Young-Harper-Yeboah we have 4 legitimate 3 point threats on the 4 creating a ton of space for eugene inside
Yeah, but he's moving up big-time in level, plus your lineup is lacking in size, which could be a real problem against many (not all) B1G teams, especially defensively, but I agree it's a pretty attractive lineup under certain conditions.

Yeah, but he's moving up big-time in level, plus your lineup is lacking in size, which could be a real problem against many (not all) B1G teams, especially defensively, but I agree it's a pretty attractive lineup under certain conditions.
that's why I said to start the season opening night where we typically don't face a team with any size. And Yeboah isn't exactly small. He's 6'6 235, he's thick as hell. Go watch the game tape I linked of him vs a p5 opponent south carolina. He matched up with 2 guys that game who were 6'11 and over and 265+, he more than held his own. We can run with a small lineup with him at the 4/5 along with eugene. It'd be a nightmarish lineup for other teams to defend.

that's why I said to start the season opening night where we typically don't face a team with any size. And Yeboah isn't exactly small. He's 6'6 235, he's thick as hell. Go watch the game tape I linked of him vs a p5 opponent south carolina. He matched up with 2 guys that game who were 6'11 and over and 265+, he more than held his own. We can run with a small lineup with him at the 4/5 along with eugene. It'd be a nightmarish lineup for other teams to defend.

I am with you on the small ball concept...maybe 10 minutes per game ...

Doucoure’s development is a wild card for next year, and carter, who I really like offensively and to board, really struggles on defense when he has to Step out. Johnson is good for 25 per game when he doesn’t have fouls ...after that, how do you stack ? I think this is an alternate

Plus ...you can play Eugene, Yeboah, and Harper at the same time up front and still be 6’7” across the board and physically strong, even if giving up some height. For 10-15 per game, that’s not a weakness given that we will give other team fits trying to match up with five guys like that

Duke has 3 years eligibility left. You have no clue as to what he will be as a 5th year senior.

I doubt he decides to do anything before the end of their season. They're in the CBI.

Just a heads up, Yeboah is not a 4. Can possibly play some 4 in small ball lineups for very short stretches, but he's more of a 3 that can rebound the heck out of the ball. I also think he'd be a great fit if he does decide to transfer.

Just a heads up, Yeboah is not a 4. Can possibly play some 4 in small ball lineups for very short stretches, but he's more of a 3 that can rebound the heck out of the ball. I also think he'd be a great fit if he does decide to transfer.
Hes a more natural 3 but with the stony brook tapes ive watched, hes more often than not guarding the 4

The OP slightly played-up this player's stats, but close enough. With Stony Brook's schedule, he shot the 3 similarly to Thiam, Baker and McConnell. He also turned the ball over similarly to Baker. And he scored a good bit. And rebounded. If Pike wants him and gets him, good. I wouldn't say huge, though.

I think Myles will foul out a lot his second yr with new increased starter minutes so whoever backs him up will play plenty

Yeboah is essentially what I want Harper to be by his junior year.
Harper has a much much higher ceiling. Not sure I'd be content with that. I see him as a draft pick by year 3

Duke has 3 years eligibility left. You have no clue as to what he will be as a 5th year senior.
That's why I said probably. But we've heard plenty about Jacob young shining in practice. I don't think I've heard one peep on Duke the entire year. During Myles Johnson's RS year we heard plenty of noise

I don't think there is any way Johnson is not in the opening day starting lineup.

Reactions: KnightTerrors
Harper has a much much higher ceiling. Not sure I'd be content with that. I see him as a draft pick by year 3

If Harper went for the same 16.6 pts/7.8 rbs in the Big Ten, that'd put him as the #6 scorer and #7 rebounder in the conference this year.

The only player in the conference to top both numbers this year was Ethan Happ (17.5 pts/10.1 rbs).

Choppin, that's true. And I'd love those numbers from Harper in year 3. But I don't believe that that's what Yeboah "is" right now. Those are numbers that he compiled against America East competition, and I'd venture to say that they'd be less in the B1G, maybe a lot.

Choppin, that's true. And I'd love those numbers from Harper in year 3. But I don't believe that that's what Yeboah "is" right now. Those are numbers that he compiled against America East competition, and I'd venture to say that they'd be less in the B1G, maybe a lot.

That's fair.... I meant that his type of production is what I'd like to see Harper put up in his junior year. I wasn't clear.

That's why I said probably. But we've heard plenty about Jacob young shining in practice. I don't think I've heard one peep on Duke the entire year. During Myles Johnson's RS year we heard plenty of noise

We also heard Nigel Johnson was the 2nd coming a few years ago and a ton about Kiss last year. It means nothing until they play during the season.

We also heard Nigel Johnson was the 2nd coming a few years ago and a ton about Kiss last year. It means nothing until they play during the season.
We never heard anything remotely close to the buzz surrounding Jacob young in regards to Nigel..let's be real here. And everything pointed to kiss being a role player from the buzz he generated. Jacob young is being mentioned as one of the top 5 players on our team, consistently. And the competition in practice is 1000 times better now than when Nigel sat out with Jordan. Looking decent in a Jordan practice means absolutely nothing to me.

Reactions: Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT