ADVERTISEMENT

Officially Transferring: Akwasi Yeboah- Possible Stony Brook Grad Transfer.

We never heard anything remotely close to the buzz surrounding Jacob young in regards to Nigel..let's be real here. And everything pointed to kiss being a role player from the buzz he generated. Jacob young is being mentioned as one of the top 5 players on our team, consistently. And the competition in practice is 1000 times better now than when Nigel sat out with Jordan. Looking decent in a Jordan practice means absolutely nothing to me.
Most of this post standing along by itself is precisely what we hear every off-season about a recruit, transfer, redshirt who will play next year. Buzz. Practice. Best player. It's different this time. Etc., etc., etc.

Most of this post standing along by itself is precisely what we hear every off-season about a recruit, transfer, redshirt who will play next year. Buzz. Practice. Best player. It's different this time. Etc., etc., etc.
Grad transfers are different than regular transfers

Reactions: Scangg
We never heard anything remotely close to the buzz surrounding Jacob young in regards to Nigel..let's be real here. And everything pointed to kiss being a role player from the buzz he generated. Jacob young is being mentioned as one of the top 5 players on our team, consistently. And the competition in practice is 1000 times better now than when Nigel sat out with Jordan. Looking decent in a Jordan practice means absolutely nothing to me.

A lot of people totally drank EJ's lemonade - saying he was the best guard he'd ever coached, that he was pushing Sanders in practice, etc, etc. He was going to come in as an instant starter and and immediately challenge to be *the best* player on the team. People pointed to his 20 pt game vs. Kansas late in his soph season as evidence of what he'd bring to Rutgers, and talked during the 7-25 season about how much he'd bring to the team.

I even feel there was more buzz around Johnson than Young, because there was such a lack of talent on that 2015-16 squad that a stud guard was much more desperately needed than it is now.

A lot of people totally drank EJ's lemonade - saying he was the best guard he'd ever coached, that he was pushing Sanders in practice, etc, etc. He was going to come in as an instant starter and and immediately challenge to be *the best* player on the team. People pointed to his 20 pt game vs. Kansas late in his soph season as evidence of what he'd bring to Rutgers, and talked during the 7-25 season about how much he'd bring to the team.

I even feel there was more buzz around Johnson than Young, because there was such a lack of talent on that 2015-16 squad that a stud guard was much more desperately needed than it is now.

Guilty. And heard that pitch from the horses mouth.

Yes. And . . . ?
I guess it's all in perspective....what is your assumption of an impact player??

Does the player have to be a starter...??

Does the player have to average double digits in Points and rebounds??

Does the player have to be 1st or 2nd team all B1G??

Once fans actually put down on paper what the expectations are, it's easier to figure out what's reality vs fantasy land.

2 months ago people said they wanted shooters and pointed to the percentages they wanted to see......they wanted a 50% or better FG % & 40% 3 point shooter.

When others pointed out that there were probably less than 10 players in the entire country with stats like that and no one in the B1G carried those stats, the argument died down or went away.

I think Jacob Young provides something this roster doesn't have and should be between 8 to 10 PPG. Keep in mind, he could average more if he plays 30 minutes a game but I don't think that makes sense unless one of the other guards falters or isn't taking the next step.

But if 8 to 10 PPG on a team that needs scoring, isn't an impact player, not sure what else fans should expect.

If we could get a grad transfer center, I'd be happy for this year. We're thin in the middle, and Johnson hasn't shown he can play without fouling. Behind him is just Doucoure and Carter, neither of which I'm comfortable with yet to get significant minutes at the 5.

We're also one injury away from having to play Luke Nathan significant minutes underneath.

Is there another Gettys on the market somewhere? Underutilized at a mid-major, but with upside with the right system/coaching?

Can he shoot? That's all I want to know. And I don't mean from inside the paint.

As a one-year rental, probably a solid addition to the 2019 team. Still leaves the 2020 ship open for longer term younger players.

"Tampering" how, talk on a message board is considered tampering now? As long as said schools didn't contact said transfer, message board talk is meaningless.

The only issue is the best player on our team(EO) plays his position. So we need to show him that we will find him minutes where he can flourish.

"Tampering" how, talk on a message board is considered tampering now? As long as said schools didn't contact said transfer, message board talk is meaningless.
I contacted him
The only issue is the best player on our team(EO) plays his position. So we need to show him that we will find him minutes where he can flourish.
he can play through the 5 if needed. Starting lineup of Geo-Young-Harper-Yeboah-Eugene would be dangeroussss. For those that say you cant do that, I say yes you can. Teams around the country are going smaller. Mamu was the only forward on the court for SHU last night for probably half the game

Reactions: Degaz-RU and Scangg
I contacted him

he can play through the 5 if needed. Starting lineup of Geo-Young-Harper-Yeboah-Eugene would be dangeroussss. For those that say you cant do that, I say yes you can. Teams around the country are going smaller. Mamu was the only forward on the court for SHU last night for probably half the game
Completely agree - obsession with 1-5 spots is silly.

If he can play, bring him in

I contacted him

And they lost. Sorry couldn’t help myself.

He shot at an insane volume on his team. He wont have to be a volume shooter here. Hes a good player who would start here, ive watched multiple full games of his. We need him
It's definitely easier to shoot a better percentage if you can be more selective of your shots. This guy seems like an absolute no brainer even if he doesn't start it's hard to see him not having a positive contributing role

He shot at an insane volume on his team. He wont have to be a volume shooter here. Hes a good player who would start here, ive watched multiple full games of his. We need him

This was the argument in favor of Kiss as well.

We can all agree, right, that these are not particularly good numbers?

I guess if a host of high majors jump in and want the player, then it will not be about the numbers or percentages, then it will be about how RU doesn't have a chance for a grad transfer at this level. The percentages for a player are based on shot selection and capabilities of making the 3s.

I contacted him

And we would get destroyed by Big 10 big men, plus Johnson will be our most improved player next year and dominant by the end of the year. He is definitely a starter, and without him we would finish last in the league.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUDead
I contacted him

And they lost to Wofford. What really good team's tallest player is 6'6"? Certainly not anyone in our league or the ACC, the two best leagues in the country. You still have to defend the post.

Thinking the same....against lesser competition too.

Let's look at whether this player and ask the question.

Is this player on tape (not percentages) more physically capable than Issa Thiam?? Yes

Is this player capable of playing more than 25 minutes a game?? Yea, he's been a starter averaging more minutes per game.

Is this player capable of playing in a pinch, for Eugene Omoyuri, who has now dislocated his knee twice in consecutive seasons?....Yes.

I am pretty certain that fans only equate what recruits matter based on the stats or recruiting rankings or eye test. You only have 3 real ways to know and it's based on the eye test first, not stats or where the recruit was ranked.

We didn't have Eugene for 3 games and he essentially played for the bulk of his games after the injury on 1 leg. If Issa Thiam or Peter Kiss stepped into Eugene's role, then I could see maybe passing on this type of player.

But with Harper in his 1st year, Caleb in his 1st year, Montez and others, it was trial by fire.

I am not in favor of taking a grad transfer....i didn't want one last year at PG or SF and preferred to give those minutes to Caleb, Harper, Mathis and Kiss.

I know we have fans afraid of relying on Carter, Myles and Doucoure at the 5....we don't need another big for this coming season, 3 bigs playing the 5 is enough, if you add a Yeboah at the 3 or 4 and play Harper at the 4 for some games, with Caleb at the 3 vs Point.

This coming season in 2019-2020, I would rather have another freshman added to the potential lineup or a sitout transfer vs an u known grad transfer that no one knows will fit in with the staff or program. This isn't the case here.

In Yeboah, those potential fits make sense. He knows our staff already and was recruited specifically by Pike and Jay Young. There's not going to be a lack of awareness on work ethic or what to expect. In this case, it is a player that assuredly is better than Thiam or Kiss and fits our rotation off the bench.

Do I think Yeboah is good enough to start for this season over Mathis or Harper?? Maybe, but I don't think that makes sense for one year or the development of either player. I would take Yeboah as insurance for Eugene's knee, off the bench for 20 minutes or so a game, when Harper has 2 quick fouls or Mathis has foul trouble.

There are situations in 20+ B1G games or other key games, where you have to have a reliable contributor off the bench. This roster had Kiss, Thiam, McConnell and Myles Johnson. Myles is now a starter which limits the front court depth to Carter and Doucoure.....that's not enough depth IMO.

If Yeboah is interested in competing for minutes and can give RU 18 to 24 quality minutes off the bench, then he's a fit.

Last edited:
I would be thrilled with the pickup since we are looking for a 3/4 who can shoot. The coaches said this was a top priority. And we lost a 3/4 who could shoot the 3 in thiam. Yeboah looks like an upgrade over thiam. He seems like a smart and good guy who would fit in the locker room and provide some veteran leadership. And unlike massoud, who did not want to play for these coaches, yeboah wanted to play for these coaches already once. I hope he picks Rutgers. It’s a no-brainer since he fills in the player we just lost in thiam and would be the same final-year-player and he’s better! And I don’t worry about him trying to fit in. He’s a veteran player and a smart kid. Thiam in year 3 still didn’t fit in. We have young and mulcahy that will need to learn how to fit in. The rest of the team has to worry about that. Oh I’d be thrilled with this pickup

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT