ADVERTISEMENT

Officially Transferring: Akwasi Yeboah- Possible Stony Brook Grad Transfer.

Let's look at whether this player and ask the question.

Is this player on tape (not percentages) more physically capable than Issa Thiam?? Yes

Is this player capable of playing more than 25 minutes a game?? Yea, he's been a starter averaging more minutes per game.

Is this player capable of playing in a pinch, for Eugene Omoyuri, who has now dislocated his knee twice in consecutive seasons?....Yes.

I am pretty certain that fans only equate what recruits matter based on the stats or recruiting rankings or eye test. You only have 3 real ways to know and it's based on the eye test first, not stats or where the recruit was ranked.

We didn't have Eugene for 3 games and he essentially played for the bulk of his games after the injury on 1 leg. If Issa Thiam or Peter Kiss stepped into Eugene's role, then I could see maybe passing on this type of player.

But with Harper in his 1st year, Caleb in his 1st year, Montez and others, it was trial by fire.

I am not in favor of taking a grad transfer....i didn't want one last year at PG or SF and preferred to give those minutes to Caleb, Harper, Mathis and Kiss.

I know we have fans afraid of relying on Carter, Myles and Doucoure at the 5....we don't need another big for this coming season, 3 bigs playing the 5 is enough, if you add a Yeboah at the 3 or 4 and play Harper at the 4 for some games, with Caleb at the 3 vs Point.

This coming season in 2019-2020, I would rather have another freshman added to the potential lineup or a sitout transfer vs an u known grad transfer that no one knows will fit in with the staff or program. This isn't the case here.

In Yeboah, those potential fits make sense. He knows our staff already and was recruited specifically by Pike and Jay Young. There's not going to be a lack of awareness on work ethic or what to expect. In this case, it is a player that assuredly is better than Thiam or Kiss and fits our rotation off the bench.

Do I think Yeboah is good enough to start for this season over Mathis or Harper?? Maybe, but I don't think that makes sense for one year or the development of either player. I would take Yeboah as insurance for Eugene's knee, off the bench for 20 minutes or so a game, when Harper has 2 quick fouls or Mathis has foul trouble.

There are situations in 20+ B1G games or other key games, where you have to have a reliable contributor off the bench. This roster had Kiss, Thiam, McConnell and Myles Johnson. Myles is now a starter which limits the front court depth to Carter and Doucoure.....that's not enough depth IMO.

If Yeboah is interested in competing for minutes and can give RU 18 to 24 quality minutes off the bench, then he's a fit.

I agree with this but can’t see why a grad transfer would come here to potentially get Thiam’s minutes or slightly more. I really only want a grad transfer if he’s a bigger kid, a lockdown defender, or a better shooter than Yeboah is.

Let's look at whether this player and ask the question.

Is this player on tape (not percentages) more physically capable than Issa Thiam?? Yes

Is this player capable of playing more than 25 minutes a game?? Yea, he's been a starter averaging more minutes per game.

Is this player capable of playing in a pinch, for Eugene Omoyuri, who has now dislocated his knee twice in consecutive seasons?....Yes.

I am pretty certain that fans only equate what recruits matter based on the stats or recruiting rankings or eye test. You only have 3 real ways to know and it's based on the eye test first, not stats or where the recruit was ranked.

We didn't have Eugene for 3 games and he essentially played for the bulk of his games after the injury on 1 leg. If Issa Thiam or Peter Kiss stepped into Eugene's role, then I could see maybe passing on this type of player.

But with Harper in his 1st year, Caleb in his 1st year, Montez and others, it was trial by fire.

I am not in favor of taking a grad transfer....i didn't want one last year at PG or SF and preferred to give those minutes to Caleb, Harper, Mathis and Kiss.

I know we have fans afraid of relying on Carter, Myles and Doucoure at the 5....we don't need another big for this coming season, 3 bigs playing the 5 is enough, if you add a Yeboah at the 3 or 4 and play Harper at the 4 for some games, with Caleb at the 3 vs Point.

This coming season in 2019-2020, I would rather have another freshman added to the potential lineup or a sitout transfer vs an u known grad transfer that no one knows will fit in with the staff or program. This isn't the case here.

In Yeboah, those potential fits make sense. He knows our staff already and was recruited specifically by Pike and Jay Young. There's not going to be a lack of awareness on work ethic or what to expect. In this case, it is a player that assuredly is better than Thiam or Kiss and fits our rotation off the bench.

Do I think Yeboah is good enough to start for this season over Mathis or Harper?? Maybe, but I don't think that makes sense for one year or the development of either player. I would take Yeboah as insurance for Eugene's knee, off the bench for 20 minutes or so a game, when Harper has 2 quick fouls or Mathis has foul trouble.

There are situations in 20+ B1G games or other key games, where you have to have a reliable contributor off the bench. This roster had Kiss, Thiam, McConnell and Myles Johnson. Myles is now a starter which limits the front court depth to Carter and Doucoure.....that's not enough depth IMO.

If Yeboah is interested in competing for minutes and can give RU 18 to 24 quality minutes off the bench, then he's a fit.
Very succinct.

If many of the the posts in this thread, instead of what they have been, had been properly muted and suggested that this player could replace Thiam, help when Omo is hurt, come off the bench and maybe surprise and be an even greater contributor, as you just wrote (I think; i did lose my concentration along the way) likely no one would have suggested otherwise.

Very succinct.

If many of the the posts in this thread, instead of what they have been, had been properly muted and suggested that this player could replace Thiam, help when Omo is hurt, come off the bench and maybe surprise and be an even greater contributor, as you just wrote (I think; i did lose my concentration along the way) likely no one would have suggested otherwise.

I don't know how many grad transfers across the country had a big impact. I can recall names like El-Amin, who went to Oregon, Smith, the guard from Duquesne who played at St Anthony's, who went to Uconn and played solid.

There were a couple of other names like Albany guard Joe Cremo who was a 46% 3 point shooter and averaged 17.8 PPG, who went to Villanova.....he wound up in a bench role there, not shooting anywhere close to what he shot at Albany and averaged 4 PPG for Villanova.

There are some hits but many more misses. The "hits", are not stat driven but does that player present a scoring threat, can he defend more than one position....can he take the physical force the B1G demands??

I have seen the criticism of other RU transfers and how they didn't meet expectations....but in this instance, what other team gets an immediate starter, outside of Kentucky or North Carolina have done with Cam Johnson (Pittsburgh) and Reid Travis (Stanford)??

Travis was I believe 1st team all Pac 12 and went to a reduced role as a starter or bench player at Kentucky.....but he adds more than the stats, Kentucky lacks physical players inside and is very young overall.

I could argue that Yeboah can shoot the same 31% from 3 at RU and add a layer of defense, rebounding, switching on defense and toughness, while being able to dribble, shoot or pass.

I also think Peter Kiss is a better 3 point shooter than Yeboah, but what other aspects can Kiss or Thiam add, if they aren't left open to shoot. Can they create their own shot, make a pass off the dribble, grab a rebound like Ron Harper has done, and start his own fast break with a finish at the basket??

Kyk linked the game videos in the thread....it's pretty evident this player can play at this level, beyond the stats. It's on film and translates to what many high major teams need. I can run stats down of teams left in the Final 32....you would be shocked at how stats are helpful, but until you watch the player actually play against better competition, how well they're going to do.

Last edited:
So basically u want a grad transfer whos going to the nba. Got it

Yeah because all big kids like Doorson or lockdown defenders go to the NBA....lol

There’s an “or” in there, not an “and”.

We have two open ships, highly unlikely we get two promising prospects, this guy at minimum adds high quality depth, and does not tie up a ship past next year. I really do not see the complaints or skepticism. People must have some really unrealistic expectations about what's available or just enjoy complaining. (Likely the latter.)

Yeboah can play the 3-5, shoots as well as geo from 3, is a very very good defender at the 4. What more can you ask for?

If he’s that good of a defender at the 4 in the B1G, I wouldn’t be against it. He just seems very small for that to be true. If you are saying he could have defended Pardon in the first NW game or the kid from Illinois who killed us, and be willing to be a rotational player, I’d like it. That seems like a lot to ask. Remember, he would be taking time away from the development of our younger players.

Also, Geo has those stats playing against B1G defenses. Less than Geo, and those shooting stats aren’t very impressive.

Last edited:
If he’s that good of a defender at the 4 in the B1G, I wouldn’t be against it. He just seems very small for that to be true. If you are saying he could have defended Pardon in the first NW game or the kid from Illinois who killed us, and be willing to be a rotational player, I’d like it. That seems like a lot to ask. Remember, he would be taking time away from the development of our younger players.

Also, Geo has those stats playing against B1G defenses. Less than Geo, and those shooting stats aren’t very impressive.
And Geo's shooting numbers will improve substantially from the two guard.

Reactions: RU MAN

Would it kill you to watch his game tape vs south carolina that I have in the original post so you can see him defend 2 7-footers?

Reactions: SkilletHead2
Highly sought after grad transfers dont come in to come off the bench. Pike has told guys he's all about finishers, not starters so personally I don't think myles would have any problem coming off the bench. But with Geo-Young-Harper-Yeboah we have 4 legitimate 3 point threats on the 4 creating a ton of space for eugene inside
Yeah, but he's moving up big-time in level, plus your lineup is lacking in size, which could be a real problem against many (not all) B1G teams, especially defensively, but I agree it's a pretty attractive lineup under certain conditions.
Lacking in size? I believe RU ranked third in the country this past season in average height per player, so even with losing Shaq we are still near the top.

Lacking in size? I believe RU ranked third in the country this past season in average height per player, so even with losing Shaq we are still near the top.

I was talking about that lineup with nobody over 6'7" (as if anyone believes EO is 6'8") - so yes, lacking in size...

This was the argument in favor of Kiss as well.
And what makes you think about a kiss comparison at all? This kid is money. I mean I can compare a bottle of grey goose to a bottle of tobasco sauce and it doesn't mean it's a good comparison. They are two entirely different players..why does nobody seem to want Eugene insurance? The people in this thread sticking their nose up to this kid should learn their place and where we stand right now. Blows my mind..we would be beyond lucky to land this kid because he would land at a far better basketball school than ours if we didn't have pikiell to give us a fighting chance.

He is a big who can knock down FTs and you people don't want him. Head examinations for all please. You need it.

Last edited:
And what makes you think about a kiss comparison at all? This kid is money. I mean I can compare a bottle of grey goose to a bottle of tobasco sauce and it doesn't mean it's a good comparison. They are two entirely different players..why does nobody seem to want Eugene insurance? The people in this thread sticking their nose up to this kid should learn their place and where we stand right now. Blows my mind..we would be beyond lucky to land this kid because he would land at a far better basketball school than ours if we didn't have pikiell to give us a fighting chance.

He is a big who can knock down FTs and you people don't want him. Head examinations for all please. You need it.

I want Yeboah but I also think he's being overrated by some people here.

If he wants to come to RU we take him. Still need another 4/5 though.

I view Yeboah as being more productive in a 18 to 22 minutes provided off the bench behind Eugene and absorbing the minutes that went to Thiam. I don't believe he's a starter over Harper Jr, Mathis or Eugene.

The goal is to have bench production most nights....Yeboah, Mulcahy, McConelll, Young, Kiss, Doucoure/Carter should be enough to play 10 players over 30+ games and not see a significant gap in play. The fact that there will be discussions about who could start is a sign we can use this type of player or a similar piece.

The more talent Rutgers can add the better. It’s unlikely Omoruyi would sit as a senior-at least to start-under Pikiell. I suppose it’s possible Yeboah could start over Harper for a year but even if not, keep adding players who can score and defend. And then let Pikiell sort it out as the season goes on. Like a mad scientist, Pikiell loves to tinker with his line-up and figure out roles. Adding Yeboah would only make the team stronger and deeper and who knows? Maybe he starts by season end.

Reactions: Scangg
if this team doesn't have a superstar to take over games, then play a full-court pressure defense and have a deep team. what if we have playing next year...

At the 1,2,3
*Mulcahy (entirely at the 1)
*Young (mainly at the 1)
*Geo (mainly at the 2)
*Mathis (mainly at the 2 and 3)
*Harper (mainly at the 3 and a little at the 4)
*Yeboah (mainly at the 3 and a little at the 4)
*Caleb (mainly at the 3)
Kiss (seriously not going to be getting much minutes, is he)

In the frontcourt
*Myles (5 all night)
*EO (4 all night)
*Carter (4 and 5)
Duc (I hope he can give 10 quality minutes at the 5)
hopefully the last scholarship goes here

If Pike lands Yeboah, how sick is that? You'd have 10 players that I have put *'s next to that have shown (will show with Yeboah) they can play 20+ minutes in the B1G and belong on the floor and can score. You can cycle these guys out and tire out the opposition with an up-tempo defense and offense.

It would be great to get Yeboah. Adding 2 legit PGs and a 3 who can shoot will help this team so much next year

Sounds like the first item for the new SB coach to address is to convince the kid to come back for his senior year.

I see where he put his name into the grad transfer portal but has not told Stony Brook that he is definitely leaving SB. Hopefully he is in contact with Pikiell and Young and that he likes what we can offer. I would love to hear that he is visiting RU and that he commits. I know Pikiell and Young did recruit him to SB so they must really love his game. I see he had 21 points against us when SB defeated us at the RAC in December 2017. He shot 6-10 on fg's, 1-3 on threes and 8-10 on free throws with 6 rebounds in only 23 minutes. We definitely can use him.

Reactions: RUHouston
Was trying to get a sense of his performance vs. tougher competition, and had no idea that Stony Brook's schedule was so weak this year - their highest kenpom opponent was two games vs. 77 Vermont, where he averaged 10 pts / 7.5 rbs in 26 min.

Last year vs teams ranked <80 in kenpom, he faced 6 Michigan St, 39 Maryland, 63 Providence, and 76 Vermont three times. In those six games, he averaged 15.7 pts, 5.2 rb in 27.8 min while shooting 13-30 (.433) from range and 19-24 (.792) at the line.

Important tidbit from the Newsday SB coaching article today....

Stony Brook confirmed Friday that Yeboah, a first-team all-America East player, placed his name in the transfer portal, giving him the option to leave. He is on track to graduate, meaning that as a graduate student transfer, he would not have to sit out a season before playing.

Important tidbit from the Newsday SB coaching article today....

Stony Brook confirmed Friday that Yeboah, a first-team all-America East player, placed his name in the transfer portal, giving him the option to leave. He is on track to graduate, meaning that as a graduate student transfer, he would not have to sit out a season before playing.
well everyone and their mother knows he's a grad transfer. so it's not really a surprise

Yeah, I wasn't expecting anyone to be surprised. The point is that it is that both the transfer and the academic status of graduate are both now confirmed in the press. Carry on pontif....

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Yeah, I wasn't expecting anyone to be surprised. The point is that it is that both the transfer and the academic status of graduate are both now confirmed in the press. Carry on pontif....
hqdefault.jpg

Could always take Tai "Bright Lights" Strickland back. He's now entered the transfer portal.

Perhaps Akwasi is just concentrating first on graduating from Stony Brook. Hopefully we will hear something soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT