ADVERTISEMENT

Ominous Tweets (B Knight?)

RUby RED

Senior
Aug 9, 2010

Any insights? Based off Slater’s tweet, would appear to be referencing Coach Knight, but that’s pure speculation. Hoping the coaching staff shuffle stops at Hobbs but would be a blow if these tweets have legs…

Reactions: rubigtimenow
We lose Knight we prob lose ace and then Harper.

I’d think keeping Knight is the biggest part of the future and pike he’s not taking a lateral move
Knight is going to get a $200K raise before Bailey signs so he’d have to get a decent high major head coaching job for him to leave.

I asked a friend about him leaving who made some good points.

Seems unlikely given he has no head coach experience and has been a lead assistant on a perennial bubble team. What other programs is going to buy in to that hire? Imagine 7 years ago Rutgers hired an assistant from Clemson with no hc experience and no direct ties to Rutgers. We’d lose it.

The media criticized Arizona for hiring Lloyd who was few's top assistant at gonzaga for 20 years because he had never been a hc.

Look at Rutgers fans Hurley had moderate success at Wagner and Rhode island and they still didn't think he had done enough at the time to go after him hard and he was previously an RU assistant for 4 years.

Knight has a good future though he’s still young he will just have to decide does he want to take the low major job along with a pay cut and go to stony brook like pike did and have to grind for a while or strike gold like holloway did with the elite eight run and parlay that into a high major job. Or he can be a "career" assistant for pike and after 15+ years hope to get hired directly at a p5 like Lloyd at zona or tang at k state.

But leveraging Bailey is really knights only shot at a P5 job in the near future so maybe he considers doing that and it’s enough for a progeam to take a shot with him? Idk if I see that being likely.

@S_Janowski I know you have talked about knights role managing the team woudl love to read soemthing of note from you on a topic and what you think his likely path is.

Last edited:
“Looking for a way out of NJ” is an interesting choice of words.

Wonder if Pike realized he needed to shake up the staff - perhaps felt they plateaued or had become stagnant.

Wonder if Pike realized he needed to shake up the staff - perhaps felt they plateaued or had become stagnant.
Doesn't that imply it's a school in NJ other than Rutgers?
Maybe I'm reading too much into it or looking for too much elegance in a tweet.

Reactions: njcanesfan

(EDIT: not sure where I got teh idea that Knight ran the offense.. my bad.. leaving my idiocy below for continuity with the corrections from board)

Since Knight was in charge of teh offense and the offense had such issues.. I would think a move by him might be okay... but, if recruits go with him.. ouch. I then have to wonder if Knight is being recruited to try to get his recruiting ties as well.

Rutgers is poised to have a never-before-seen talent level.. and every school that counts on this recruiting area being an open range.. well.. they have something to lose if Rutgers becomes a power and dominant recruiter in this area. just think of how many of New Jersey's star athletes helped other schools in other states succeed.

Last edited:
Since Knight was in charge of teh offense and the offense had such issues.. I would think a move by him might be okay... but, if recruits go with him.. ouch. I then have to wonder if Knight is being recruited to try to get his recruiting ties as well.

Rutgers is poised to have a never-before-seen talent level.. and every school that counts on this recruiting area being an open range.. well.. they have something to lose if Rutgers becomes a power and dominant recruiter in this area. just think of how many of New Jersey's star athletes helped other schools in other states succeed.
If Knight goes, so does that "never-before-seen" talent. Bailey and most of the talent that is considering Rutgers is all because of Knight. He's carrying the weight of the recruiting staff. You don't want Knight to walk because we will take a HUGE step back. Until Rutgers can bring in another coach to recruit elite talent, be careful about what you wish for.

Knight might have been the plug to get Ace here. But I bet you if Knight left, Ace would still come. He's recruiting for us, he's invested. His childhood friend is coming here, and he's obviously bonded with Dylan. That'll overcome Brandon Knight

I think you're mistaken. Hobbs was the guy who ran the offense.

Hobbs ran the offense, Knight managed the rotations.

Slater’s tweet was prior to Hobbs leaving. He was most likely referring to Hobbs.

I’ve never heard of the other account before today.

Wouldn’t panic.
Slater is plugged in though. I don’t know why he’d imply that our 24-25 season hopes are contingent on Hobbs staying / going

That’s not what he was implying. He is saying Hobbs probably is leaving but beyond that we’re looking at a huge class for 24-25. Separate thoughts
That’s how I read it as well but looking back I can see how @RUby RED ’s interpretation could make sense too

Reactions: RUby RED
Setting aside all the speculation underlying those tweets, what is the evidence that Knight and not Pike is the main reason that Bailey is coming here?

Knight deserves his props as a good recruiter and assistant, but I’m not seeing the logic in a top 20 recruit decommitting from RU and going to a mid or low major to play for Knight who has never been a head coach.
Recruiting is all about building relationships between a coach and a recruit. Recruits usually connect with a school through the coach who recruited them. The love for the school depends on the player/coach relationship until the recruit signs on the dotted line.

Do you ever wonder why some recruits ask for a release from their NIL if a coach is fired or leaves for another school? The bond is with the coach. The love for the school develops over time.

Slater’s tweet was prior to Hobbs leaving. He was most likely referring to Hobbs.

I’ve never heard of the other account before today.

Wouldn’t panic.
Good point. But you can’t ask people to understand the sequencing/timing of Twitter posts/news apparently.

Knight might have been the plug to get Ace here. But I bet you if Knight left, Ace would still come. He's recruiting for us, he's invested. His childhood friend is coming here, and he's obviously bonded with Dylan. That'll overcome Brandon Knight
Knight leaves Ace leaves! ZERO chance Ace plays here without knight

• Haha
Reactions: Scangg and SC1221
Recruiting is all about building relationships between a coach and a recruit. Recruits usually connect with a school through the coach who recruited them. The love for the school depends on the player/coach relationship until the recruit signs on the dotted line.

Do you ever wonder why some recruits ask for a release from their NIL if a coach is fired or leaves for another school? The bond is with the coach. The love for the school develops over time.
Sure, all true. But for argument’s sake let’s say Knight lands his first head coaching gig at a school like Stony Brook. How likely is Ace to decommit from RU to go play there for Knight?

We also have to remember that Knight has had the benefit in recent years of coaching at and recruiting to a rising program that has qualified for postseason play in 4 straight years, at a P6 school that plays in the B1G in a major media market with sellout crowds for the season.

He also works for a highly respected and well-liked head coach. All of this has helped recruiting. He may not have as much to offer at his first head coaching job.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Sure, all true. But for argument’s sake let’s say Knight lands his first head coaching gig at a school like Stony Brook. How likely is Ace to decommit from RU to go play there for Knight?

We also have to remember that Knight has had the benefit in recent years of coaching at and recruiting to a rising program that has qualified for postseason play in 4 straight years, at a P6 school that plays in the B1G in a major media market with sellout crowds for the season.

He also works for a highly respected and well-liked head coach. All of this has helped recruiting. He may not have as much to offer at his first head coaching job.
Not saying he goes to Stoney Brooke !
Ace would de-commit and go to Kentucky or Duke. Most likely Kentucky.

Knight stays and we are loaded . All I want to think about !

Reactions: cubuffsdoug

Auburn most likely. Weren't they his other finalist?

Oh, I see. I thought you were saying he’d go to whatever school Knight goes to because that relationship was the most important reason Ace chose RU.

If you’re saying Knight was essentially the tie-breaker, and without Knight, Ace will not stick with RU, then I can see that as a possibility.

Then again, there are plenty of reasons Ace could still commit to RU, which I hope he does.

Knight is going to get a $200K raise before Bailey signs so he’d have to get a decent high major head coaching job for him to leave.

I asked a friend about him leaving who made some good points.

Seems unlikely given he has no head coach experience and has been a lead assistant on a perennial bubble team. What other programs is going to buy in to that hire? Imagine 7 years ago Rutgers hired an assistant from Clemson with no hc experience and no direct ties to Rutgers. We’d lose it.

The media criticized Arizona for hiring Lloyd who was few's top assistant at gonzaga for 20 years because he had never been a hc.

Look at Rutgers fans Hurley had moderate success at Wagner and Rhode island and they still didn't think he had done enough at the time to go after him hard and he was previously an RU assistant for 4 years.

Knight has a good future though he’s still young he will just have to decide does he want to take the low major job along with a pay cut and go to stony brook like pike did and have to grind for a while or strike gold like holloway did with the elite eight run and parlay that into a high major job. Or he can be a "career" assistant for pike and after 15+ years hope to get hired directly at a p5 like Lloyd at zona or tang at k state.

But leveraging Bailey is really knights only shot at a P5 job in the near future so maybe he considers doing that and it’s enough for a progeam to take a shot with him? Idk if I see that being likely.

@S_Janowski I know you have talked about knights role managing the team woudl love to read soemthing of note from you on a topic and what you think his likely path is.

I can’t recall the last time (or when?) I talked about Knights role managing the team.

But anyway I agree with most of what you posted. I do think he could land a gig at something better than just a low major but the more time goes by the more it becomes important for Rutgers to reach the next level.

He’s very well paid here and seems content with staying until the right opportunity arises, which is great for us imo. Losing him would pose a major risk of losing Ace which would really hurt our recruiting momentum.

Auburn most likely. Weren't they his other finalist?
so if he choses Auburn all of a sudden, that would mean he liked Auburn better all along, but just chose RU because of Young and that was the deciding factor.

would be pretty shitty decision making, imo
go where you really want to be

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Knight is young and has a long career ahead. He is well compensated at RU. His stock will rise big time getting Ace and Dylan here then making a nice run in the NCAA tourney. Would make no sense from a business standpoint to
bolt prematurely.
Knight is not that young at 41, and he has an extensive resume, it is actually somewhat surprising he is still here but I am sure all the money with throw at him has been a big factor. He will leave eventually, but no point in worrying about it and no reason to believe Pike can’t hold on to his recruits.

In watching the games in recent seasons, it's been quite clear that Knight is the assistant that Pike most turns to for input during games. That's not to say that Hobbs hasn't been a key member of the staff, but Knight has long seemed to be the guy for input during games. At this point, the options for Knight are to become a head coach (maybe not in Power 6 school to start), become an even higher paid associate head coach somewhere else (probably the least likely outcome), or stay at RU and get paid well.

Ace is 100% still coming even if knight leaves. That’s not even a question. This board always provides good laughs.
And you know this how? I’m not saying we’d definitely lose Ace if Knight left, but barring insider info, I don’t know how you could be so confident he’d stick around if his lead recruiter / connection to Rutgers left the program

I thought this MacConnell guy was a slam dunk and basically already signed?
What's the hold up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT