ADVERTISEMENT

Ongoing opponent watch

Both teams in this NW/Pitt game are throwing up some real clunkers. 21-16 Pitt, under 4 minute timeout.

Both teams in this NW/Pitt game are throwing up some real clunkers. 21-16 Pitt, under 4 minute timeout.

This is the winner's bracket too. Pitt beat KState and NW beat Bradley to get here.

The theme of our schedule is that the low ranked teams aren't as bad as originally thought (Bryant, SFA, Lafayette) but the "best" teams aren't as good as originally thought (Bonnies, Pitt, NJIT).
Good night for our opponents. Bryant best Navy handily , St. Bonnies came from 8 down at half to beat FAU in Boca, and SFA was up 50 at half to one of those Baptist teams probably not Division 1 but still a 3-0 night for our opponents.

Reactions: BillyC80
Lafayette won by 23 at St. Joe's last night. They have a dude who's a 47% career three-point shooter.

UMass getting their UM-ass kicked by Harvard. A good reason to put less stock in our win over them.

UMass getting their UM-ass kicked by Harvard. A good reason to put less stock in our win over them.
The Bonnie’s kicked Hofstra’s ass by almost 30, a team that already beat UCLA, so should we put more stock in that loss and say it was not such a bad loss? You also left out Umass lost at home to South Carolina by 4 in a nip and tuck game before the Harvard game. If you have watched Harvard they are a damn good team. Maryland , supposedly the 6th ranked team in the country , was lucky to escape with a win as Harvard was winning for 35 minutes of that game. Final scores are not everything and where games are played and circumstances that occur in a game usually explain the result.

Reactions: SJScarlet
Its a bad loss..full stop
Not saying it doesn’t look bad. But saying it is a bad loss is premature because we do not know where the Bonnie’s will end up. Obviously they have gotten up and played better in games that they were supposed to lose. We probably beat them 7 out of 10 times but let them get out to 21 lead and couldn’t catch up in the second half with another atrocious 3 point shooting game.

I was at the Bonnies game. They shot lights out. Three of their best players are from NJ. Last year they had 3 very good freshmen and made it to the Atlentic 10 Final. I think they will finish in the top 5 or so in the A-10 when all is said and done. Many people on this site just love to rip RU as well as some of our opponents. Every D-1 team has good players.

Reactions: goru7
I was at the Bonnies game. They shot lights out. Three of their best players are from NJ. Last year they had 3 very good freshmen and made it to the Atlentic 10 Final. I think they will finish in the top 5 or so in the A-10 when all is said and done. Many people on this site just love to rip RU as well as some of our opponents. Every D-1 team has good players.

Of course every D1 team has good players. That doesn't mean every D1 team is "good" compared to a major P5 conference team. Bonnies currently projected to finish 8th in the A10 by KenPom and 7th by Torvik. It would be quite a feat for them to finish ahead of one of Dayton, VCU, Richmond, Rhode Island, or Davidson.

Iowa is beating up Minnesota. Home game against Minny has to be a win for us.

Reactions: BillyC80

The 4 we are favorites
at Nebraska
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern

The 3 toss ups
Wisconsin
Indiana
Illinois

Our B1G record will largely be a function of how we do in these 7 games.

The difference between 7-13 and 4-16 could literally come down to 3 possessions.....which is why I hate putting a coach's fate based on a record. Last year we might have been a bad landing and a lucky shot away from a winning record.

I say we beat Michigan but lose to someone we should beat. I am holding with my prediction for 7 wins for now, will reevaluate at the close of 2019

I agree that Minnesota at home should be a win...I didn't see the game on TV but it had one of the strangest box scores in awhile.

Oturu went 10-12 from the floor and Kauscher went 0-10 while Pitt transfer guard Marcus Carr went 1-10.

Maryland and Penn State are both going to eat our lunch. They have dudes who can get to the rim and they have dudes who can shoot.

Reactions: AD888
There is no way we can handle this UFC Fight with PSU. I loathe Big Ten Basketball, and this is the reason the Big Ten hasn't won a championship in 20 years, they DO NOT call fouls in the regular season.

Yes we shot a ton, but all game PSU has grabbed and hand checked all game.

I feel so much better in out of conference games and the NCAA tournament than I do in a big conference game.

Maryland and Penn State are both going to eat our lunch. They have dudes who can get to the rim and they have dudes who can shoot.
Stevens will try to bully you from the get go, Harper and Yeboah will have to put their big boy pants on

There is no way we can handle this UFC Fight with PSU. I loathe Big Ten Basketball, and this is the reason the Big Ten hasn't won a championship in 20 years, they DO NOT call fouls in the regular season.

Yes we shot a ton, but all game PSU has grabbed and hand checked all game.

I feel so much better in out of conference games and the NCAA tournament than I do in a big conference game.

so how do you reconcile that view with the fact that college basketball refs all ref in different conferences. Do you think someone like DJ Carstensen is calling the game one way in the Big Ten and another in the ACC or Big 12?

(I also find it odd a Maryland fan would feel "comfortable" watching Turgeon coach in the NCAA tournament)

UConn and Indiana have two of the most ahole fan bases I know but it’s still nice to see Indiana win. Especially when UConn claims to own the Garden and yet the Indiana fans seem 10 times louder on TV.

so how do you reconcile that view with the fact that college basketball refs all ref in different conferences. Do you think someone like DJ Carstensen is calling the game one way in the Big Ten and another in the ACC or Big 12?

(I also find it odd a Maryland fan would feel "comfortable" watching Turgeon coach in the NCAA tournament)

The league officials dictate how things are called. They will emphasize things. The ACC although corrupt for the Carolina teams it always seemed, at least called a tight game. The Big Ten game are just a slug fest and it's ugly. Penn State just is more "physical" and has just continued to bully us out of the gym

Tonight the officials called plenty of fouls on Penn State. Maryland attempted 19 free throws during the game's first 36 minutes. Those 19 FTs attempts came before PSU attempted one foul shot. The Nitts first two FT attempts occurred with 3:50 remaining in the game. Very strange, considering PSU was the home team.

Reactions: bac2therac
The league officials dictate how things are called. They will emphasize things. The ACC although corrupt for the Carolina teams it always seemed, at least called a tight game. The Big Ten game are just a slug fest and it's ugly. Penn State just is more "physical" and has just continued to bully us out of the gym

LOL. You are giving those refs a lot of credit for totally switching how they call games from one night to another night.

The 4 we are favorites
at Nebraska
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern

The 3 toss ups
Wisconsin
Indiana
Illinois

Our B1G record will largely be a function of how we do in these 7 games.

The difference between 7-13 and 4-16 could literally come down to 3 possessions.....which is why I hate putting a coach's fate based on a record. Last year we might have been a bad landing and a lucky shot away from a winning record.
I doubt Rutgers will be the favorite for any B1G road game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT