ADVERTISEMENT

Ongoing opponent watch

Watching NW/Minnesota I can't see Rutgers losing either game at home. I can't see NW staying within 20 of us, we would eat up that 2-3 zone for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They could never defend us man to man. Minnesota could only stay with us if they have a St Bonaventure shooting night. Minnesota takes as many bad shots as good. I can see why Minny is 7-6 very inconsistent.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
Illinois is looking good against Purdue in the first half, 32-19. We play both twice this year. We have to go at least 2-2 against these teams.

Northwestern vs Minnesota, first half has not been good Basketball.
Minnesota is so inconsistent, or would it be better to say they lack interest sometimes. I find it funny their fans talk up the team like it been in the top 3 of the B1G every year.

Also, is anyone watching the Purdue vs. Illinois game? In the second half, Illinois seem to make the same mistakes they made last year, and that's what kept them from the postseason. Mistakes happen all the time, but it can't be the same ones. Purdue has the size but doesn't seem to know how to use it. Purdue's backcourt is below their standards, and it will catch up with them throughout the season. Perhaps it just one game, but neither team seems fluid in any facet of the game.

Reactions: RUDead
How did Cockburn not get T’d up there. Got called for a walk. Slammed the ball down on the floor, not bounced, then yelled /talked for several seconds.

Just after I said Illinois was up and down, they decided to clamp down on Purdue and put them out of their misery. I take what I said about them back.

Just after I said Illinois was up and down, they decided to clamp down on Purdue and put them out of their misery. I take what I said about them back.

Nogel Eastern is a great defender, but offers very little on offense. Bad shooter that doesn’t have to be guarded on the perimeter. Not sure how he was selected preseason all B1G team.

Purdue just isn't that good this year. Their signature win is over Virginia who also is not very good this year.

Purdue just isn't that good this year. Their signature win is over Virginia who also is not very good this year.

Anybody that plays an OT game in any sport is usually an automatic play against that team, in the next game vs the spread and in general.

Minnesota got one of their starting guards back but Purdue looked like a team that played a hard fought 2OT slugfest. Even with that, I am leaning towards @kcg88 and others on Purdue.

The problem is Mackey Arena is still one of the toughest road stops in the B1G, so they're going to win home games. Can Purdue get the 2 road games to seal the deal, in case they lose a couple at Mackey??

Northwestern's starting guard Buie didn't play but I actually like the underclassmen they have lined up. It may not show up soon, but NW is a scoring guard away from being dangerous in a year.

Purdue isn't that good until they beat you.

This league will be more coin flip than the better team wins. Purdue got tails, the next flip could be heads.

Purdue isn't that good until they beat you.

This league will be more coin flip than the better team wins. Purdue got tails, the next flip could be heads.

This is true but Purdue is more like the #35 team than the #15 team (which is where they were before the Illinois loss).

This is true but Purdue is more like the #35 team than the #15 team (which is where they were before the Illinois loss).

I am thinking we are going to end up finding a big blanket between 2 numbers where all the teams are the same.

Maybe that ends up being 15 thru 35. Could mean there is really no difference between a NCAA 4 seed and 9 seed.

Updates on our OOC schedule rankings in NET:
Q1 (home 1-30, neutral 1-50, away 1-75)
25 - Seton Hall (W)

Q2 (home 31-75, neutral 51-100, away 76-135):
49 - Stephen F Austin (W)
84 - @Pittsburgh (L)

Q3 (home 76-160, neutral 101-200)
121 - UMass (W)
169 - (N) St. Bonaventure (L)

Q4 (home 161+, neutral 201+)
193 - Bryant (W)
201 - Lafayette (W)
205 - Drexel (W)
286 - Niagara (W)
322 - NJIT (W)

Need Pitt to win a few more and get back into Q1, and maybe Bryant to get itself up into Q3.

Shu fans are in full belief they would've closed the gap we established in the game against them had Powell been healthy the entire match.

Why do they think that? Because they have SHU degrees. That's maybe...one step up from illiteracy.

It takes a special type of fan to talk shit when your team was literally gangbanged to death by your opponent and we didn't even have to play at full steam.

Updates on our OOC schedule rankings in NET:
25 - Seton Hall (W)

49 - Stephen F Austin (W)
84 - @Pittsburgh (L)

Q3 (home 76-160, neutral 101-200)
121 - UMass (W)
169 - (N) St. Bonaventure (L)

Q4 (home 161+, neutral 201+)
193 - Bryant (W)
201 - Lafayette (W)
205 - Drexel (W)
286 - Niagara (W)
322 - NJIT (W)

Need Pitt to win a few more and get back into Q1, and maybe Bryant to get itself up into Q3.

Bryant looks destined to be a Q4. We can hope UMass and St Bonnies both hold in Q3. As long as SF Austing takes care of business and dominates in their conference they should hold in Q2. Pitt is the one I am worried about. The Wake loss was not a good sign and the ACC is trash, do not want them falling into q3. think you left out Wisky was a Q1 win but they can easily slip to Q2 as well as SHU

Updates on our schedule rankings in NET:
9 - MSU (L)
22 - Seton Hall (W)
24 - Penn St (W)
26 - Wisconsin (W)

43 - Stephen F Austin (W)
79 - @Pittsburgh (L)

Q3 (home 76-160, neutral 101-200, away 136-240)
126 - UMass (W)
150 - Nebraska(W)
170 - (N) St. Bonaventure (L)

Q4 (home 161+, neutral 201+, away 240+)
194 - Bryant (W)
207 - Lafayette (W)
211 - Drexel (W)
286 - Niagara (W)
324 - NJIT (W)

Pittsburgh is on the cusp of Q1/Q2, so hopefully they pull ahead a bit as the season progresses.

Overall resume:
Q1: 3-1
Q2: 1-1
Q3: 2-1
Q4: 5-0

INJURY UPDATE

Michigan State

Josh Langford (foot) is out for the season.

Maryland
No notable injuries.

Rutgers
Geo Baker (thumb) is expected out for 3-4 weeks.

Wisconsin
No notable injuries.

Purdue
No notable injuries.

Penn State
No notable injuries.

Illinois

No notable injuries.

Nebraska
No notable injuries.

Michigan
Isaiah Livers (groin) appears questionable to doubtful for the Purdue game on Thursday.

Indiana
No notable injuries.

Ohio State
Kyle Young (appendicitis) appears questionable to probable for the game against Indiana on Saturday.
Musa Jallow (ankle) is out for the season.

Minnesota
Eric Curry (knee) is out for the season.
Sam Freeman (undisclosed) is questionable for tomorrow's game against Michigan State.

Iowa
Jordan Bohannon (hip) is out for the season.
Jack Nunge (ACL) is out for the season.
Patrick McCaffrey (illness) is out indefinitely.
CJ Fredrick (ankle) is out indefinitely, possibly for the season.

Northwestern
Anthony Gaines (shoulder) is out for the season.
Boo Buie (foot) is out indefinitely.
AJ Turner (thigh) is questionable for tonight's game against Indiana.

Last edited:
INJURY UPDATE

Michigan State

Josh Langford (foot) is out for the season.

Maryland
No notable injuries.

Rutgers
Geo Baker (thumb) is expected out for 3-4 weeks.

Wisconsin
No notable injuries.

Purdue
No notable injuries.

Penn State
No notable injuries.

Illinois

No notable injuries.

Nebraska
No notable injuries.

Michigan
Isaiah Livers (groin) appears questionable to doubtful for the Purdue game on Thursday.

Indiana
No notable injuries.

Ohio State
Kyle Young (appendicitis) appears questionable to probable for the game against Indiana on Saturday.
Musa Jallow (ankle) is out for the season.

Minnesota
Eric Curry (knee) is out for the season.
Sam Freeman (undisclosed) is questionable for tomorrow's game against Michigan State.

Iowa
Jordan Bohannon (hip) is out for the season.
Jack Nunge (ACL) is out for the season.
Patrick McCaffrey (illness) is out indefinitely.
CJ Fredrick (ankle) is out indefinitely, possibly for the season.

Nebraska
Anthony Gaines (shoulder) is out for the season.
Boo Buie (foot) is out indefinitely.
AJ Turner (thigh) is questionable for tonight's game against Indiana.

Last one should be Northwestern not Nebraska.

Reactions: kcg88
Alot of non conference opponents playing...

Pitt @ UNC
St Bonaventure @ George Mason
Holy Cross @ Lafayette
La Salle @ UMass
Texas A&M CC @ SF Austin
Seton Hall @Xavier

Keep winning non conference teams

Reactions: gregkoko
If I could dunk, had eligibility I would have a dunk in this game

Actually I think I have eligibility, but have the vertical leap of a Montana phonebook

Indiana has looked good in one game against a real opponent all year, the win over Florida State.

They almost blew the Notre Dame game, beat UConn in a game both teams deserved to lose, got taken to OT at home against Nebraska, lost by 20 to Wisconsin, blew a lead against Arkansas, and were totally listless at Maryland.

Reactions: bac2therac
Speaking of Meh teams, what's going on with UNC? They are about to lose at home to Pitt, which is good for their NET and ours. UNC last bad year was 2009-10, they finished 20-17 getting into the NIT at 16-16. Last losing record 2001-2 at 8-20, guess the one and dones catching up with them?

So far, UMass gonna beat La Salle
SBA won at George Mason
Pitt won at UNC(8-7)
SF Austin trails but are making a run now to Tx AM CC

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
Indiana has looked good in one game against a real opponent all year, the win over Florida State.

They almost blew the Notre Dame game, beat UConn in a game both teams deserved to lose, got taken to OT at home against Nebraska, lost by 20 to Wisconsin, blew a lead against Arkansas, and were totally listless at Maryland.
Rutgers has owned Indiana as of late. With the MSG game and beat them I think 2 of 3 times. Fully expect to win again by double digits

Nobody gets a friendlier whistle than Trayce Jackson-Davis. Northwestern breathed on him and got whistled.

Not impressed by Indiana...they are 12-3 but their only win of note was Florida State. Going to need to start beating teams

Northwestern is terrible. Like RU under Jordan they will have some games where they keep it close but virtually no firepower to be a threat. Their best shot for a win is coming up vs Nebby at home

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT