ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 New York Yankees season

The bad stuff should have been fixed years ago. He has been labeled lazy, poor work ethic his entire pro career. If he doesn't have the desire to put the work in how is it going to change? The talent is there, his heart to become better isn't.
I agree for the most part. His play can be infuriating. There is no reason for not hustling.
However, all you would have to do to see how valuable he is (can be) would be to examine the market for a catcher with his skills.
He's potentially the best catcher in baseball. And he's young. Patience is in order.

Yankees to acquire JA Happ. What a panic move. He’s not the answer. Ugh.

Likely giving up Drury and another prospect.

I agree for the most part. His play can be infuriating. There is no reason for not hustling.
However, all you would have to do to see how valuable he is (can be) would be to examine the market for a catcher with his skills.
He's potentially the best catcher in baseball. And he's young. Patience is in order.
You can't teach someone to have an A personality. You cant teach someone to desire to be great. You either are born with it or not. His talent is off the charts, imagine if he was a hard worker since his first minor league season? He signed with Yankees in 2009. 9 years ago.How much more patience do you need?

I agree about Happ. I wanted Archer.
But there's no room for Drury on this team. I just hope that whoever is thrown into the deal with Drury is not one of the better prospects.
I actually thought the best move was to give Cessa one last shot and to bring up Sheffield eventually.

You can't teach someone to have an A personality. You cant teach someone to desire to be great. You either are born with it or not. His talent is off the charts, imagine if he was a hard worker since his first minor league season? He signed with Yankees in 2009. 9 years ago.How much more patience do you need?
At least until the end of the season.

I agree about Happ. I wanted Archer.
But there's no room for Drury on this team. I just hope that whoever is thrown into the deal with Drury is not one of the better prospects.
I actually thought the best move was to give Cessa one last shot and to bring up Sheffield eventually.

Billy McKinney is the other one, per reports. Good prospect but wasn’t really room for him.

If it is just Drury and McKinny than Cashman still has plenty of chips to acquire another starter.

Didn't the Red Sox just slap him around before the All Star break?

Just looked at his stats: 0-3 in July in 4 starts with a 7.41 ERA. Hasn't made it to 6 innings.
Yeah, he's had a bad July, that's why his price came down. Hopefully, Larry Rothschild can right the ship, and since he's on an expiring contract, it frees up two more spots on the 40-man to protect guys from November's rule 5 draft.

Yeah, he's had a bad July, that's why his price came down. Hopefully, Larry Rothschild can right the ship, and since he's on an expiring contract, it frees up two more spots on the 40-man to protect guys from November's rule 5 draft.

1) As stated in an earlier post, the Yankees have more desirable prospects than they can save when all 32 teams can cherry pick unprotected guys from the 40 man roster of any other MLB team in the Rule 5 Draft held during the off season. McKinney along with Dillon Tate, Josh Rogers and Cody Carroll stood a good chance of not getting protected and being plucked for zero in return. So Cashman has turned potentially no return into rentals RP Zach Britton and SP J.A. Happ. If either or both turn out to pitch well, Yanks will become a favorite to resign.

2) Brandon Drury is a decent, but not great, infielder; 13 HR in 135 games last year and 16 HR in 134 games the year before that .267 BA and .755 OPS lifetime. OF Billy McKinney looked good in spring training but is in a farm system with many decent outfield prospects. It’s a good pick-up for the Blue Jays and good pick up for the Yankees

3) J.A. Happ is a 12-year veteran; 2018 All Star game player ; finished 6th (with some 1st place votes) for the 2016 Cy Young Award; has pitched 10 post season games with a 1-1 record 3.72 ERA and struck out 19 in 19.1 IP. Has he been terrible in July? Yes. 13 ER in 8.1 IP followed by his two latest stints where he surrendered 1 ER in 8.2 IP. In the month of June, 3-0; 3.16 ERA; 0.96 WHIP in 31.1 IP and 27 K. In May 3-2; 4.25 ERA in 29.2 IP and 29 K and in April 4-0; 3.45 ERA in 31.1 IP and 45 K

4) Against Boston and Houston this season:
July 12 at Boston 3.2 IP; 0 ER, 5 H, 1 BB, 6 K loss
June 25 at Houston 6 IP, 3 ER, 7 H, 2 BB, 4 K win
April 24 vs. Boston 7 IP, 1 ER, 4 H, 0 BB, 10 K no decision
Over the last three season J.A. Happ is 6-2 combined against the Red Sox and Astros.

Happ could turn into a batting practice pitcher for the rest of the season. He could also turn back the clock and pitch like a gem. He is experienced and post season play won’t bother him. If he sucks for the rest of the season, you don’t have to pitch him in the playoffs.

But could he be capable of being a big game thrower? Well, yeah… he can. But I can't say which one you are going to get. Most likely a competent thrower for the rest of the season.

I feel better adding Happ to Severino, Tanaka, Sabathia and Gray. Cessa might have pitched well recently but he has been mostly bad up until now. German is an unknown quantity going forward. You don’t know if Gray has turned things around or not and there’s always 38-year old CC and his knee. So Happ is good insurance with a possible high ceiling. Consistently bad starting pitching means the wearing down of your bullpen. Happ is a guy who can take the ball every 5th day and, most of the time, pitch a game that gives you a chance to win. And on good days, he can look like that guy from two seasons ago.

Britton makes the bullpen a stone wall. Happ shores up the gaps in starting pitching.

1) As stated in an earlier post, the Yankees have more desirable prospects than they can save when all 32 teams can cherry pick unprotected guys from the 40 man roster of any other MLB team in the Rule 5 Draft held during the off season. McKinney along with Dillon Tate, Josh Rogers and Cody Carroll stood a good chance of not getting protected and being plucked for zero in return. So Cashman has turned potentially no return into rentals RP Zach Britton and SP J.A. Happ. If either or both turn out to pitch well, Yanks will become a favorite to resign.

2) Brandon Drury is a decent, but not great, infielder; 13 HR in 135 games last year and 16 HR in 134 games the year before that .267 BA and .755 OPS lifetime. OF Billy McKinney looked good in spring training but is in a farm system with many decent outfield prospects. It’s a good pick-up for the Blue Jays and good pick up for the Yankees

3) J.A. Happ is a 12-year veteran; 2018 All Star game player ; finished 6th (with some 1st place votes) for the 2016 Cy Young Award; has pitched 10 post season games with a 1-1 record 3.72 ERA and struck out 19 in 19.1 IP. Has he been terrible in July? Yes. 13 ER in 8.1 IP followed by his two latest stints where he surrendered 1 ER in 8.2 IP. In the month of June, 3-0; 3.16 ERA; 0.96 WHIP in 31.1 IP and 27 K. In May 3-2; 4.25 ERA in 29.2 IP and 29 K and in April 4-0; 3.45 ERA in 31.1 IP and 45 K

4) Against Boston and Houston this season:
July 12 at Boston 3.2 IP; 0 ER, 5 H, 1 BB, 6 K loss
June 25 at Houston 6 IP, 3 ER, 7 H, 2 BB, 4 K win
April 24 vs. Boston 7 IP, 1 ER, 4 H, 0 BB, 10 K no decision
Over the last three season J.A. Happ is 6-2 combined against the Red Sox and Astros.

Happ could turn into a batting practice pitcher for the rest of the season. He could also turn back the clock and pitch like a gem. He is experienced and post season play won’t bother him. If he sucks for the rest of the season, you don’t have to pitch him in the playoffs.

But could he be capable of being a big game thrower? Well, yeah… he can. But I can't say which one you are going to get. Most likely a competent thrower for the rest of the season.

I feel better adding Happ to Severino, Tanaka, Sabathia and Gray. Cessa might have pitched well recently but he has been mostly bad up until now. German is an unknown quantity going forward. You don’t know if Gray has turned things around or not and there’s always 38-year old CC and his knee. So Happ is good insurance with a possible high ceiling. Consistently bad starting pitching means the wearing down of your bullpen. Happ is a guy who can take the ball every 5th day and, most of the time, pitch a game that gives you a chance to win. And on good days, he can look like that guy from two seasons ago.

Britton makes the bullpen a stone wall. Happ shores up the gaps in starting pitching.
Agreed. The pending offseason roster crunch absolutely forced Cashman to move some young guys, all the best prospects are still in place, and the Yankees are a better team than they were a few days ago. Cessa, at some point, will have to become a reliever because at 26, I don't think you're going to see any sudden growth in development out of him. He's had plenty of bites at the apple in the last three seasons, and although he is better this year, his FIP is still a full run behind his ERA, and it really is a pretty small sample size. Definitely not a guy you put into a rotation unless you have no other choice.

I think all we really need out of Happ is to eat innings and provide quality starts, 6 innings with 3 runs or less. As of now the rotation will be Sevy, Tanaka, CC, Happ and Sonny. The better of Sonny and Happ will take the 4th spot for the playoffs and the other will go in the pen for long relief. Drury will get to play every day as he deserves to, and the Yanks gave up basically nothing to get stronger. Britton was a great trade, and Happ really was the best pitcher available at this point. I think three of the starters the Yankees were scouting went on the DL the last week or two.

Agreed. The pending offseason roster crunch absolutely forced Cashman to move some young guys, all the best prospects are still in place, and the Yankees are a better team than they were a few days ago. Cessa, at some point, will have to become a reliever because at 26, I don't think you're going to see any sudden growth in development out of him. He's had plenty of bites at the apple in the last three seasons, and although he is better this year, his FIP is still a full run behind his ERA, and it really is a pretty small sample size. Definitely not a guy you put into a rotation unless you have no other choice.

I think all we really need out of Happ is to eat innings and provide quality starts, 6 innings with 3 runs or less. As of now the rotation will be Sevy, Tanaka, CC, Happ and Sonny. The better of Sonny and Happ will take the 4th spot for the playoffs and the other will go in the pen for long relief. Drury will get to play every day as he deserves to, and the Yanks gave up basically nothing to get stronger. Britton was a great trade, and Happ really was the best pitcher available at this point. I think three of the starters the Yankees were scouting went on the DL the last week or two.
I like the Britton trade especially since it blocks Boston or Houston from getting him. The Happ trade is fine with me because they really didn't give away any of the star prospects. I would like to Cessa moved to the long man role in the bullpen eventually as I think he could do decent in that position.

At this point, I could see them go after a veteran first baseman to back up Bird since he can potentially get hurt from any type of situation.

^^ I got flogged here for questioning Sanchez' abilities early in the season. He had one good season, but has always been a defensive liability. Maybe he will turn it around. Always thought Romine was a better all around player.
I still think he's very important to the lineup, but the lack of hustle really bothers me. I would only offer him up for something good, but he needs a wakeup call if he wants to remain a Yankee. I could definitely see him in the DH role in the near future.

The bad stuff should have been fixed years ago. He has been labeled lazy, poor work ethic his entire pro career. If he doesn't have the desire to put the work in how is it going to change? The talent is there, his heart to become better isn't.
Human beings are capable of a change of heart at any time. However, you are correct Sanchez has shown no desire to change so the Yankees need to provide an incentive for him to change. The incentive being send him down to the minors and keep him there until he changes. Sanchez is not a free agent until 2023 so a minor league salary and riding a bus between games is plenty incentive to change.

Human beings are capable of a change of heart at any time. However, you are correct Sanchez has shown no desire to change so the Yankees need to provide an incentive for him to change. The incentive being send him down to the minors and keep him there until he changes. Sanchez is not a free agent until 2023 so a minor league salary and riding a bus between games is plenty incentive to change.
Most of the greats in all sports are Type A personality. Sanchez is not. He can be motivated to improve but that usually is short term. Would not sign him to a big time long term deal. On the opposite end of the spectrum is Judge. They should sign him long term next year or 2020.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Most of the greats in all sports are Type A personality. Sanchez is not. He can be motivated to improve but that usually is short term. Would not sign him to a big time long term deal. On the opposite end of the spectrum is Judge. They should sign him long term next year or 2020.

Depending on how Romine does over the course of the next month or so, you might consider announcing Romine and Sanchez will share catching duties the rest of the season. If you feel you must "cover" for Sanchez, say the split duties are due to Sanchez injuries.

But I don't think you want Gary Sanchez returning to a situation where he is "cemented" back into the line-up and catching duties. Make him compete for it with Romine and the team overall will benefit.

The Los Angeles Dodgers have Yasmani Grandal and Austin Barnes going back and forth at catcher. The Dodgers are not suffering because of it.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Hopefully it's just from an abundance of caution. He got plunked in the first and did have another at bat in the third.

Britton looks pretty good right now in the 8th.
123 up and down.
Hear you about abundance of caution but they have Xray in the clubhouse so not thrilled with this news

123 up and down.
Hear you about abundance of caution but they have Xray in the clubhouse so not thrilled with this news
Boonie just said the X-Rays were unclear so they sent him for the MRI and CT scan. Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Hmm why isnt he pitching tonight?? He needs work?? No??
Depends on what he is feeling. I have no idea how his arm feels. I know as a reliever myself I would talk with the pitching coach before each game and let him know if I needed work or not. Sometimes your arm hurts too much to pitch. Sometimes you are in between where you tell the coach if you need me I can get you an inning. If you don't have to use me I will take the day. Sometimes I told him I needed a real game inning. My point was a bullpen session is not close to a real game situation.

Tyler Wade being called up to take the roster spot. Walker will be primary DH, Gardy, HIcks and Stanton in the outfield and they'll try to figure out a way to spell Gardy from time to time to avoid overuse.

No, I'm saying why did they waste a trade on him. An older pitcher who is getting worse as the season goes on?

Who said he's going to get worse as the season goes on? Is that what's happened in previous years? His first two starts of July were awful. His last two starts better. He was pretty good overall last month too. Maybe they just obtained a guy whose about to fall off a cliff. Maybe they just acquired a guy whose going to be a pitching force. He didn't just accidentally make the All Star Game ten days ago.

Yankees also don't have to make a trade by July 31st. If they are just looking for a body as a back up outfielder there will will plenty of non-contenders who will make an outfielder available cheap or just dump his salary if his contract is expiring. They'll also pass through waivers since the contenders won't have room for mediocre outfielders and the non-contenders won't want them. We're talking temp guys here not stars.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT