ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019 Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's harsh man. The candidates under consideration are all well respected throughout the league. They are not schmucks. They are most assuredly not all just like Callaway. How can they be, when they are all unique individuals themselves?

Let's face it, it's best that BVW not hire Girardi because it wouldn't work. They are not compatible. Too bad. I wish it could work, but it can't.
BVW and Girardi is sort of like Hobbs and Ash

SNY reporting Beltran coming back for 2nd interview. Only one so far. Ugh. Do these clowns learn anything? Hire an experienced manager like Girardi and then maybe have Beltran be his bench manager to learn the ropes. If I get girardi or schiano , I ll be happy. Both and I ll be ecstatic. If we don’t get girardi, he’s going to Phillies or cubs to wreck more havoc on us

SNY reporting Beltran coming back for 2nd interview. Only one so far. Ugh. Do these clowns learn anything? Hire an experienced manager like Girardi and then maybe have Beltran be his bench manager to learn the ropes. If I get girardi or schiano , I ll be happy. Both and I ll be ecstatic. If we don’t get girardi, he’s going to Phillies or cubs to wreck more havoc on us

If can only land one of the two, I’ll take Greg.

Final 4 are: Girardi, Beltran, Perez and Bogar
Final interview question:
"7th inning, 2-1 lead and deGrom is at 95 pitches after striking out the side in the 6th. Phone rings in dugout, Finish the sentence"
Beltran: Answer it and see what you would like to do
Perez: Answer it. Another point of view could be helpful
Bogar: Answer it because I am not sure what to do.
Girardi: Who the flaming F is calling me at a time like that. When I have to make a decision on what I am going to do with my Ace, how my BP has been pitching and who is due up for me next inning.

We all know how that is going to go...

"7th inning, 2-1 lead and deGrom is at 95 pitches after striking out the side in the 6th. Phone rings in dugout, Finish the sentence"
Girardi: Who the flaming F is calling me at a time like that. When I have to make a decision on what I am going to do with my Ace, how my BP has been pitching and who is due up for me next inning.

Yup, sadly, it's what will keep Joe from getting the job. I'd love to know what went down with Fonzie getting the boot? Thinking maybe he wanted in on the job search and was told no way, and things got hot.

Last edited:
BVW and Girardi is sort of like Hobbs and Ash
The analogy I would use is that BVW is the head coach and his manager is the combined OC/DC. In that:
  • The head coach and the coordinators collaborate (BVW's favorite word) on developing the game plan.
  • The coordinators make the in-game calls, within the context of the agreed upon game plan.
  • However, the head coach reserves the right to provide input and if necessary overrule.
An unusual model, but it could work IF the GM/head coach had a proven record of expertise in game management. Problem is, BVW doesn't.

Oh stop that. It was such BS Beltran took heat for that pitch. Wainwright threw one of the nastiest curves ever who cares. It never should have come to that with the talent on that team.

Mota blew that series in G2. Wrote off Wright after that series too. Never had a problem with Beltran - most unhittable pitch ever.

Mota blew that series in G2. Wrote off Wright after that series too. Never had a problem with Beltran - most unhittable pitch ever.

Beltran was one of the best free agent signings in Mets histroy. If you sign a free agent thinking his performance will go up, you probably end up disappointed. Look at Beltran's stats for the 7 years before he joined the Mets and 7 years he was on the Mets - virtually identical. With the Mets, if I remember correctly, his batting average was a few points lower but he hit more home runs. Very consistent player and a superb outfielder. As a free agent signing he gave exactly what was expected of him over the life of the contract, and eended up getting traded for a pretty good young arm at the end. An interesting choice as manager. Many players who made the big bucks do not want to put up with the grind of managing/coaching. While I would prefer Girardi I would not be upset if Beltran is hired.

#BraceForBogar

Reactions: FrankZ
Yup, sadly, it's what will keep Joe from getting the job. I'd love to know what went down with Fonzie getting the boot? Thinking maybe he wanted in on the job search and was told no way, and things got hot.
My Top Two off that Final Four would be:
1 Girardi DUHH
2 Beltran Wouldnt mind this since he could be the Mets' AJ Hinch or Alex Cora.

As for Alfonzo, that is BULLSHIT that he was let go!!! I would place him third on my list behind Girardi and Beltran simply because he won a championship. Might a Leopold situation but HE STILL WON A CHAMPIONSHIP WITHIN THE ORGANIZATION AND THEY LET HIM GO!!!!!!!!

Reactions: redking
Especially when you're 1000% locked in on a fastball in that spot. Who throws a hook in that situation? That took the guts of a burglar. A regular season game I can see; but with the season in the balance? That was crazy.

Especially when you're 1000% locked in on a fastball in that spot. Who throws a hook in that situation? That took the guts of a burglar. A regular season game I can see; but with the season in the balance? That was crazy.

I can go on. Blame Valentin for not stepping up in bottom 6 after the best catch ever, Wright for the most dreadful series I've ever seen, etc. I always equated the Beltran thing to Buckner - both wrongly took the full blame of the majority of their fan-base.

Reactions: redking
I always loved Beltran as a player. Thought he also got a bad rap about hustling or going all out. He may be one of the most graceful runners I ever saw play baseball with very long legs and stride. Almost looked too easy which made it look lazy.
Maybe our best FA signing

Final 4 are: Girardi, Beltran, Perez and Bogar
Interesting analysis by Danny Abriano of SNY.
https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/pros-and-cons-of-the-mets-4-known-managerial-finalists/311233436

I particularly found the below passage of interest, the bolding is mine.

Whichever way the Mets go, they will be hiring a manager to function within the new dynamic most in baseball work with. With the exception of a few (such as Joe Maddon), the age of the big personality, big name manager is over.

Among the most important traits most teams value in present-day managers: An ability to communicate with the media and be a face for the organization, the ability to manage the clubhouse and the personalities in it, and the ability to make strong in-game decisions while working collaboratively with the front office.

Maybe Brodie is the new normal and Girardi is the outlier?

Not sure a decision is imminent. I believe MLB does not want manager hirings announced during the World Series so as not to take the spotlight away from the the 2 teams still playing.

You do understand that the Mets are searching for a puppet, not a manager.
Or to put it another way, the Mets are looking for a modern manager, not an old school manager. Just depends on your perspective.

The Girardis, Maddons, and Showalters of this world are a dying breed.

Or to put it another way, the Mets are looking for a modern manager, not an old school manager. Just depends on your perspective.

The Girardis, Maddons, and Showalters of this world are a dying breed.
Yeah, but most teams that have gone this way have a GM that has been a part of the fabrick of the game for a long time. Not a fantasy manager...

Now NYP reporting that Derek Shelton is also getting a second interview. This may take a while.

There's also a "bombshell' candidate per Andy Martino.
The only thing he said about this mystery guy is that it is NOT David Wright.

Jon Heyman is guessing it's Todd Zeile. Or maybe Ron Darling (which I could believe), or Keith Hernandez (which would shock me).

Reactions: tico brown
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT