ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019 Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately for Mets fans, so do fans of the Braves, Nationals, and Phillies. The Phillies in particular are expected to spend heavy in the free agent market.

The Phillies situation right now is an absolute mess. John Middleton, the principal owner, is always willing to pay money, but he has got to be disappointed by that the team won only two more games than it did in 2018. Part of that, of course, was due to injuries to McCutcheon, Arrieta and others.

Another new managerial candidate has come to play per Heyman. Tim Bogar former Met.

Maddon's been penned in for the Angels for awhile, but yes 1 of the 3 big fish are now gone.

FWIW, Girardi has stepped down as manager of Team USA in the 2020 Summer Olympics, presumably because he expects to be managing in the majors. But for whom? Has interviewed / is interviewing with Mets, Cubs, and Phillies.

Edgardo Alfonso, manager of the Brooklyn Cyclones in the NYP League (and of course Mets legend) was let go by the Mets today. This despite the fact that he had won the NYP League title! The reason for the dismissal was simply that Brodie wants to bring in his own people.

Sometimes this guy reminds me of Chris Ash.

Reactions: redking
Edgardo Alfonso, manager of the Brooklyn Cyclones in the NYP League (and of course Mets legend) was let go by the Mets today. This despite the fact that he had won the NYP League title! The reason for the dismissal was simply that Brodie wants to bring in his own people.

Sometimes this guy reminds me of Chris Ash.
SCUMBAG MOTHER FU****

Looks like Girardi will more than likely wind up in Philly than Queens...

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/latest...ob-where-hell-have-second-interview/311134334
The Mets interview pool is curious. It's Girardi and five up-and-comers (which is a nice way of saying five guys who've never done it before). Makes you wonder if the Mets inclusion of Girardi on their interview list is just window dressing.

The Phillies approach seems much more focused. Three veteran guys and that's it.

I am not suggesting that one approach is better than the other. I think baseball managers are WAY overrated, but that's a whole 'nother story. All I'm saying is that if you're going to hire an up-and-comer, as the Mets seem intent on doing, then why go through the motions of interviewing Girardi?

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
The Mets interview pool is curious. It's Girardi and five up-and-comers (which is a nice way of saying five guys who've never done it before). Makes you wonder if the Mets inclusion of Girardi on their interview list is just window dressing.

The Phillies approach seems much more focused. Three veteran guys and that's it.

I am not suggesting that one approach is better than the other. I think baseball managers are WAY overrated, but that's a whole 'nother story. All I'm saying is that if you're going to hire an up-and-comer, as the Mets seem intent on doing, then why go through the motions of interviewing Girardi?

It's 100% window dressing!!

Doc, I notice that are other people who think that "baseball managers are WAY overrated." Why do you say this?

Not in that camp. See Mickey - cost us countless games. No doubt in my mind Roberts would blow it for LAD, etc.

Mike Mancuso of NY Sports Day reporting that Girardi to Mets is unlikely.

If so, and unless a new name emerges, it will be another first-time manager! (Unless you count Tim Bogar's 22 games as Texas interim manager in 2014).

Whatevs...

Doc, I notice that are other people who think that "baseball managers are WAY overrated." Why do you say this?
I should be more specific. I think the manager's in-game decision making responsibility is way overrated.

If any of us had the tech savvy, we could probably write a program which would codify all the analytics and make all managerial decisions "by the book". That program would get some decisions right and others wrong. Same as any manager. And over the long run, I suspect the results would be similar.

The modern manager is a combination cheerleader, psychologist, den mother, PR guy, and (to use a 50's term), "organization man". Some substitute drill sergeant for cheerleader. The key in selecting a manager is to pick the guy whose above traits are the best possible match for the 25 unique personalities he will be managing. Or more specificially, for the four or five key influencers who shape the team's collective personality. Because the old adage remains true - it's easier to get a new manager than 25 new players.

Only going to make a Yankee post because it is Met related.If and most likely When the Yankees lose this series to the Astro's...here is some fun fodder for trolling Yankee fans.
The Yankees will have gone a full decade of no WS appearances. As a matter of fact, the Met's are the only NY team in the 2010's that did make a WS appearance. Another fact- since the 1980's Met's have been in the WS 3 out of 4 decades and the Yankees have only been in the WS's 2 of the 4 decades...OK- so they strung together a bunch of appearances in those two decades...but we can leave that out. hahahahaha

Yeah but it doesnt help the Mets' cause that they're letting go the only manager that actually won a championship (Edgar Alfonzo) because BVW wants his own people. I mean... Jeezus... So you know Girardi is headed to Philly while Brodie signs Bogar or some other shmuck who's just like the guy they just fired.

You are relentless. :ThumbsUp The looks on the faces of the fans last night was priceless.
I was in my glory. The entitled, getting another dose of reality.Getting the jump on TV cable money fueling spending money like drunken sailors are long gone. A lot closer to playing on an even field the last 20 years, and the team that has suffered the most are?????

Yeah but it doesnt help the Mets' cause that they're letting go the only manager that actually won a championship (Edgar Alfonzo) because BVW wants his own people. I mean... Jeezus... So you know Girardi is headed to Philly while Brodie signs Bogar or some other shmuck who's just like the guy they just fired.
Yup, that is inexcusable to have let Alfonzo walk. Complete bullshit.

That's harsh man. The candidates under consideration are all well respected throughout the league. They are not schmucks. They are most assuredly not all just like Callaway. How can they be, when they are all unique individuals themselves?

Let's face it, it's best that BVW not hire Girardi because it wouldn't work. They are not compatible. Too bad. I wish it could work, but it can't.

I should be more specific. I think the manager's in-game decision making responsibility is way overrated.

If any of us had the tech savvy, we could probably write a program which would codify all the analytics and make all managerial decisions "by the book". That program would get some decisions right and others wrong. Same as any manager. And over the long run, I suspect the results would be similar.

The modern manager is a combination cheerleader, psychologist, den mother, PR guy, and (to use a 50's term), "organization man". Some substitute drill sergeant for cheerleader. The key in selecting a manager is to pick the guy whose above traits are the best possible match for the 25 unique personalities he will be managing. Or more specificially, for the four or five key influencers who shape the team's collective personality. Because the old adage remains true - it's easier to get a new manager than 25 new players.

I see you have considerably retreated from your original statement. And if what you say is true of baseball managers, it is equally true in other sports. You are also assuming that computers are as good in planning in-game strategy as a manager would be. As Gabe Kapler's experience shows, that's not necessarily true. There is more than math to the decision of whether to pull Aaron Nola in the sixth inning when he's pitching a shutout, which is what Kapler did in his first game as manager. A manager is still entitled to be praised or damned based on what happens between the white lines.

I see you have considerably retreated from your original statement. And if what you say is true of baseball managers, it is equally true in other sports. You are also assuming that computers are as good in planning in-game strategy as a manager would be. As Gabe Kapler's experience shows, that's not necessarily true. There is more than math to the decision of whether to pull Aaron Nola in the sixth inning when he's pitching a shutout, which is what Kapler did in his first game as manager. A manager is still entitled to be praised or damned based on what happens between the white lines.
With all these analytics, it is like sales...over a long run, the numbers work out. Short series, not so much. Or, to break down a single game, plate appearance or a sale with analytics and if they work or not, does not translate.

With all these analytics, it is like sales...over a long run, the numbers work out. Short series, not so much. Or, to break down a single game, plate appearance or a sale with analytics and if they work or not, does not translate.

That's the beauty of baseball; over the short run, numbers don't count. That's why a last-place team can wallop a first-place team once in a while. A game is not a statistical universe the way it tends to be in football. That's why managers are important; to help win the game when the long-term odds favor the other team.

Will always be a go with your gut guy at crunch time - was basically screaming at the TV to pull out Kershaw in G5 (hate the Dodgers - Fantasy Postseason thing).

Per Joel Sherman:

@Joelsherman1

#Padres coach Skip Schumaker has indeed already interviewed for #Mets managerial opening.
@dennistlin

1st. Schumaker was repped as a player by CAA, Van Wagenen’s old agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT