ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019 Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if the GM and ownership are married to analytics, you go with someone quite different then the manager who says " I don't give a damn what the analytics say, I took him out because my catcher tells me our pitcher's pitches are starting to flatten out". The manager who goes by analytics probably comes at less cost then the guy with experience who looks at the numbers but also uses his gut and experience. Of course that guy has to answer to the powers that be when he goes against the analytics and is wrong.

So after thinking about it, finishing with the 12th best record out of 30, and a group of 5 very young everyday players to build around,the near future is looking very bright.It's a very important winter meeting that will go a long way to setting up the franchise..

Well- one more series win and the Yanks don’t have to enter their 2nd decade not being in the WS...
champagne-toast-animated-gif-2.gif

You still can't count?
It is 2019 now.
2018 was 1 year ago
2017 was 2 years ago

Got it?
rolleyes.gif
Lol, so this isn't year #3???? Year 2017,nothing, 2018, nothing is 0 fer 2 in my book and working on year 3 of your 5 year plan right? Explain to me again who can't count.

5 more to go to tie Judge!
(once the most juiced ball in the history of MLB is accounted for).

Rookie Record:
1. Judge - 52
2. Alonso - 53*
Let's add one more thing to your ignorant argument about Alonzo's record being tainted,lol. Judge had the advantage of getting nearly 100 AB's in the Majors to get a very nice taste of what it's all about. Alonzo came in stone cold and set the league on fire.

Lol, so this isn't year #3???? Year 2017,nothing, 2018, nothing is 0 fer 2 in my book and working on year 3 of your 5 year plan right? Explain to me again who can't count.
Good lord, stop digging. You said: "3 years ago". Not year 3. You know those are different, right?

you =
crazy.gif

Good lord, stop digging. You said: "3 years ago". Not year 3. You know those are different, right?

you =
crazy.gif
Fine, your in year 3 of your 5 year plan, I'll leave it at that. Your right I'm wrong,:YesNoYou can easily get your multiple titles, and since I'm predicting it won't happen,I'm sure it will now.:Laughing

Isn't there anybody left who roots for both the Yankees and the Mets? I was 11 when the Mets were established;I was definitely a Yankee fan, but I did watch Mets games (Lindsey Nelson and Ralph Kiner, right?) on Channel 9 and root for them. That was the year they won forty games in the Polo Grounds. And when I was in Chicago, I rooted for the White Sox, although the Cubs were my preference. (I lived on the north side)

If the Mets are going cheap on the hire, I would give Beltran a chance. He's a smart baseball mind and the players really connect with him.

That said, I fully expect the Mets to hire somebody like ARod. Because.....Mets do what they gotta do to be the Mets.

Isn't there anybody left who roots for both the Yankees and the Mets? I was 11 when the Mets were established;I was definitely a Yankee fan, but I did watch Mets games (Lindsey Nelson and Ralph Kiner, right?) on Channel 9 and root for them. That was the year they won forty games in the Polo Grounds. And when I was in Chicago, I rooted for the White Sox, although the Cubs were my preference. (I lived on the north side)
Myself...my parents grew up in Brooklyn in the earlier part of the century and became Met fans in 62. So, I grew up a Met’s fan. As a kid, Knicks, Rangers, Jets...
But, I have always been one that if my team couldn’t win it, I wanted another local team to win it and F the rest of the country..,
Never stopped me from busting balls with friends that were fans of the other local tram(though, being a Mets, Jets, Ranger fan, I usually got the worst of it...lol

I think hockey is the only sport where it's impossible to root for two teams

I find it impossible to root for *any* team in hockey. The game could be so beautiful, but all the fans seem to want is thuggery, and the teams oblige.
RU-Camden has a club team that probably doesn’t play too far from you. They aren’t too shabby.

Reactions: retired711
As far as the Mets go, they couldve had Chaim Bloom who's a big part of the Tampa Rays organization that taking the Houston Astros to the brink in their playoff series. Who's Tampa Ray's has once again proven that they been one of the best organizations in baseball.

But the idiot Wilpons hired Brodie Van Wagenen because he's a cool puppet with cool initials...

:ThumbsUp:ThumbsUp:ThumbsUp:Poop

As far as the Mets go, they couldve had Chaim Bloom who's a big part of the Tampa Rays organization that taking the Houston Astros to the brink in their playoff series. Who's Tampa Ray's has once again proven that they been one of the best organizations in baseball.

But the idiot Wilpons hired Brodie Van Wagenen because he's a cool puppet with cool initials...

I mean the initials aren't even cool.

Ask the three amigos and the enabler that question.

why don’t we just ignore them. I don’t get into arguments with my toddler every time he says something childish. Can’t we give these guys the same treatment. I am certain the Yankee trolls will then just go away.

The major reason why BVW got the job was that unlike Bloom, he gave the Wilpons the "win now" promise that they wanted to hear.

why don’t we just ignore them. I don’t get into arguments with my toddler every time he says something childish. Can’t we give these guys the same treatment. I am certain the Yankee trolls will then just go away.
Youre talking to the wrong guy. I dont argue with them and I actually agree with them ONCE IN A BLUE MOON. But I'm not the enabler. And if they havent gone away by now, they never will.

The major reason why BVW got the job was that unlike Bloom, he gave the Wilpons the "win now" promise that they wanted to hear.
Good point. In fact, great point. They tried to take some shortcuts with stupid trades and signings only to outbid themselves with Cano, Diaz, Familia, Lowrie. Cant attempt to rebuild the organization top to bottom from scratch into a Tampa Rays/ (Houston Astros) organization model with a bigger budget.

They could have proceeded with largely the important players they had this year, minus JD Davis, without taking on an incredible amount of older-player payroll while keeping some of their prospects. And they could have tried to put together a strong system with someone who knows how to do that. Instead, they sold out big time for minor improvements--a good bit of which was due to an unusually healthy starting staff--that got them an 86 win team and not even a wild card. Not good for future prospects, and typical Wilpon decision making.

Reactions: tico brown
They could have proceeded with largely the important players they had this year, minus JD Davis, without taking on an incredible amount of older-player payroll while keeping some of their prospects. And they could have tried to put together a strong system with someone who knows how to do that. Instead, they sold out big time for minor improvements--a good bit of which was due to an unusually healthy starting staff--that got them an 86 win team and not even a wild card. Not good for future prospects, and typical Wilpon decision making.
If you think about the Met’s two great acquisitions- Wilson/Davis...they did these without barely touching the bank...they did pay for Ramos but we at least got what we paid for and it cost us nothing.
Other major moves were to start Alonso from Day 1, keep Smith up and finally trust McNeil in the lineup every day. And then sign deGrom who lived up to and even out performed his contract.
If those ere our off season moves and we finished 86 wins, still had some star prospects...then it would have been a very positive season. Even Stroman started to look good. We could have done all of the above for very little money and only give up Vargas and Kay.
But our brilliant GM who promised the Wilpons what they wanted to hear- did the awful Cano/Diaz trade for our farm system and a noose on our budget and then spent a big crunch of our BP money on a horrendous Familia(who should have been better but we had only bid against our selves.)
I do feel better going into 2020 then I have in a long time but fear our leaders will find a way to F it UP

Reactions: tico brown
Beltran, Girardi, and Mike Bell will all receive in person interview for manager. More to come these are just the names that leaked for now.

Reactions: willisneverrana43
If you think about the Met’s two great acquisitions- Wilson/Davis...they did these without barely touching the bank...they did pay for Ramos but we at least got what we paid for and it cost us nothing.
Other major moves were to start Alonso from Day 1, keep Smith up and finally trust McNeil in the lineup every day. And then sign deGrom who lived up to and even out performed his contract.
If those ere our off season moves and we finished 86 wins, still had some star prospects...then it would have been a very positive season. Even Stroman started to look good. We could have done all of the above for very little money and only give up Vargas and Kay.
But our brilliant GM who promised the Wilpons what they wanted to hear- did the awful Cano/Diaz trade for our farm system and a noose on our budget and then spent a big crunch of our BP money on a horrendous Familia(who should have been better but we had only bid against our selves.)
I do feel better going into 2020 then I have in a long time but fear our leaders will find a way to F it UP
Unfortunately for Mets fans, so do fans of the Braves, Nationals, and Phillies. The Phillies in particular are expected to spend heavy in the free agent market.

For those like me who did not know of Mike Bell... He is the Rockies Director of Player Development. Had interviewed for two manager jobs last year. Pirates also reportedly interested.

He is brother of Reds manager David Bell and third generation MLB!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT