ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019 Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those like me who did not know of Mike Bell... He is the Rockies Director of Player Development. Had interviewed for two manager jobs last year. Pirates also reportedly interested.

He is brother of Reds manager David Bell and third generation MLB!
Thanks. His name didn't ring a bell.

Myself...my parents grew up in Brooklyn in the earlier part of the century and became Met fans in 62. So, I grew up a Met’s fan. As a kid, Knicks, Rangers, Jets...
But, I have always been one that if my team couldn’t win it, I wanted another local team to win it and F the rest of the country..,
Never stopped me from busting balls with friends that were fans of the other local tram(though, being a Mets, Jets, Ranger fan, I usually got the worst of it...lol
I started rooting for the Mets in 1962. Number of reasons. One, I was just starting to become interested in baseball and didn't have a team. Two, my father was a NY Giants fan so he was a National League guy. Three, my uncle used to print the yearbooks and scorecards for the Yankees and I was tired hearing about them so I gravitated to the Mets (did enjoy some perks like box seats behind dugout, going to first bat day & getting a Hector Lopez model, etc.).

Reactions: S.W.A.I.N
For those like me who did not know of Mike Bell... He is the Rockies Director of Player Development. Had interviewed for two manager jobs last year. Pirates also reportedly interested.

He is brother of Reds manager David Bell and third generation MLB!

Diamondbacks not Rockies. :)

Diamondbacks not Rockies. :)
Correct, thanks. In fact Arizona drafted his son this year in a late round. He did not sign, instead keeping his college commitment. But if he ever does make the majors, then he will be a fourth generation player, which has never happened before. The family patriarch is original Met Gus Bell.

Reactions: Zak57
Here is a question...If you are a potential Manager - you have Cubs/Met's/Phillies all pursuing you...If all three were offerring the same exact contract- which would be the job you choose?
Picked these 3 teams as they would be what I consider (first world) level franchises- meaning not the Yankees or Dodgers but all in major markets and in major cities. Also- all ended up around the same this year- Phillies, did under perform the most though. All 3 have stars, young players and problems...

FWIW, here is MLB.com's "best guesses" on what managers wind up where:

Mets: Joe Girardi
Cubs: Jose Espada
Angels: Joe Maddon
Padres: Ron Washington
Royals: Mike Matheny
Pirates: Jeff Banister
Giants: Bob Geren
Phillies: Buck Showalter

Also FWIW but MLB Trade Rumors did their projection guesses. They're usually in the ballpark with these pun intended. Have to non tender Panik and then even with that as we've been saying we're going to be very close to that luxury tax number.

Mets (9)

Marcus Stroman – $11.8MM
Joe Panik – $5.1MM
Noah Syndergaard – $9.9MM
Steven Matz – $5.3MM
Michael Conforto – $9.2MM
Edwin Diaz – $7.0MM
Seth Lugo – $1.9MM
Brandon Nimmo – $1.7MM
Robert Gsellman – $1.2MM

For those who like to follow high potential minor league prospects, remember this name: Francisco Alvarez. He is a 17 year old catcher playing for Kingsport (high rookie), who was named by Baseball America as the top prospect in the Appalachian League. His teammate Brett Baty, the Mets #1 pick this year, was named the second best prospect.

There is life after Kelenic.

For those who like to follow high potential minor league prospects, remember this name: Francisco Alvarez. He is a 17 year old catcher playing for Kingsport (high rookie), who was named by Baseball America as the top prospect in the Appalachian League. His teammate Brett Baty, the Mets #1 pick this year, was named the second best prospect.

There is life after Kelenic.
BVW wil trade both for the rights for Evan Longoria

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reporting that Carlos Beltran has emerged as a "very serious" candidate for the manager position. He reports that Beltran has the support of both Allard Baird and Omar Minaya, two key BVW lieutenants.

If this comes to fruition, not sure that I like.

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reporting that Carlos Beltran has emerged as a "very serious" candidate for the manager position. He reports that Beltran has the support of both Allard Baird and Omar Minaya, two key BVW lieutenants.

Wilpon’d

Reactions: T2Kplus10
I assume the interviews went like this...

BVW: "Hypothetical, 8th inning and close game, I call you down in the dugout and want to talk to you about who to pitch over the next two innings. How does that conversation go?"

JG- "You got to be F-ing kidding me"
Ventura "going to punch you in the F-ing mouth"
Madden: "Phone?"
Matheny: "yes sir, what are your thoughts?"
Beltran: "glad you called sir, I wasn't sure what to do"

So- you know it comes down to the last two guys with our team

I started rooting for the Mets in 1962. Number of reasons. One, I was just starting to become interested in baseball and didn't have a team. Two, my father was a NY Giants fan so he was a National League guy. Three, my uncle used to print the yearbooks and scorecards for the Yankees and I was tired hearing about them so I gravitated to the Mets (did enjoy some perks like box seats behind dugout, going to first bat day & getting a Hector Lopez model, etc.).
I was actually a Cardinals and Blue Jays fan when I was young. Think when I was very little I just liked birds. Loved reading the news paper box scores to see the stolen base totals for the Cardinals back then.

Very much disliked the Mets, and was rooting for the Sox in 86.

Started to warm to the Mets in the Hundley era, but it was when Olerud(see the Blue Jays above) came aboard that I made the switch for real. This season, during the hot streak after the All Star break was the most invested I have been.

Reactions: rubaseball78
I assume the interviews went like this...

BVW: "Hypothetical, 8th inning and close game, I call you down in the dugout and want to talk to you about who to pitch over the next two innings. How does that conversation go?"

JG- "You got to be F-ing kidding me"
Ventura "going to punch you in the F-ing mouth"
Madden: "Phone?"
Matheny: "yes sir, what are your thoughts?"
Beltran: "glad you called sir, I wasn't sure what to do"

So- you know it comes down to the last two guys with our team
You guys are going to f'up this hire.

Reactions: tico brown
They had Girardi all ro themselves for a couple of week but BVW and The Wilps kept BSing around. IMO, Girardi winds up in Philly while BVW gets his Alex Cora wanna be.
That scenario does seem likely. BVW wants to be the man and not have Girardi running the team and getting the credit. Seems like pure ego.

They had Girardi all ro themselves for a couple of week but BVW and The Wilps kept BSing around. IMO, Girardi winds up in Philly while BVW gets his Alex Cora wanna be.
They never had Girardi to themselves. He's already been interviewed for the Cubs job.

Beltran says that the Mets are the only team he'd consider managing. Claims to have turned down interviews with the Padres and Cubs.

Would not care a bit if Mets do not get Girardi.
It would be very met/Rutgers-like to have the chance at a title winning manager and not get him...but it is the Mets and one should never doubt their ability to **** things up the worst way possible!

I'm in the group that really think the manager doesn't mean all that much as long as they're semi competent. Mickey was not therefore he had to go. At this point I don't really care who gets the job because we'll really have no idea how they'll work with the used car salesman in the front office and it'll be his job to right the ship ultimately.

Reactions: willisneverrana43
I'm in the group that really think the manager doesn't mean all that much as long as they're semi competent. Mickey was not therefore he had to go. At this point I don't really care who gets the job because we'll really have no idea how they'll work with the used car salesman in the front office and it'll be his job to right the ship ultimately.
What was really quite unbelievable with Mickey was his pitching decisions when that was his area of expertise.

Well I think we know how Girardi will work with BVW. Girardi will tell him to pound sand. And I am not at all sure that's the proper response.

Consider the following hypothetical: In the off-season, Mets make an organizational (ie, BVW) decision to move Lugo to the starting rotation to replace Wheeler. Joe says he's 100% on board.

Fast forward to June. Lugo is a solid mid-rotation starter, but not the "second ace" they hoped he'd be. Meanwhile the Mets pen is struggling badly. One exception is Walker Lockett, who has done well in limited opportunities as long man.

JG decides he's seen enough. He tells BVW that Lugo's going back to the pen and that Lockett is now in the rotation. He makes it very clear that he is not seeking BVW's approval or even his opinion.

IS THIS APPROPRIATE?

I say no. But I do think that this is the type of freedom that JG will demand. Which is why I'm not sure he's the right guy.

NYP reporting that there is now a sixth candidate: Eduardo Perez. The former MLB player and coach, current ESPN/Sirius analyst, and son of Hall of Famer Tony Perez.

They are also reporting that Buck Showalter's candidacy "has been stalled because of concerns about the former manager’s interactions with the front office in previous jobs". In other words...

source.gif

NYP reporting that there is now a sixth candidate: Eduardo Perez. The former MLB player and coach, current ESPN/Sirius analyst, and son of Hall of Famer Tony Perez.

They are also reporting that Buck Showalter's candidacy "has been stalled because of concerns about the former manager’s interactions with the front office in previous jobs". In other words...

source.gif
Here comes BVW's candidates for the job:
1l0smh.gif

source.gif
Don't want Showalter. Just sign Girardi and call it a day. Don't want Perez; Beltran; Bell; Rojas.....ugh....Typical BVW / Jeff Wilpon nonsense to get a patsy manager.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT