ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019 Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
lotta trolls out there which is embarrassing more for the troll then who they are insulting. I never understood the point of a troll. As for me I just feel bad for the Mets fans. The constant losing and coming up short on expectations year after year is hard to take (as a RU fan I know). The busts of big players are even more infuriating. While several have argued that the Mets fans are not as classy as yankee fans , while mostly likeky true, is hard to prove so don’t understand why bring it up. Mets fan seem happy with a 500 season so this year seems like a big success. So let’s just be happy. Yankee fans can worry about the world series.
Confused...you are saying this ISN’T a troll post???
You pretty much knocked every Met fan out there in as condescending as you possibly could...kbee- take notes from a master troll

Last edited:
Confused...you are saying this ISN’T a troll post???
You pretty much knocked every net fan out there in as condescending as you possibly could...kbee- take notes from a master troll
Yeah I particularly liked the "several have argued... but why bring it up" (immediately after bringing it up). Well played... I guess?

a
They already said Syndergaard is staying so that means no Wheeler and no trade chips for Betts.
I guess it means "no Wheeler" given the Wilpons. But over the last few years some free agents, particularly pitchers, have been caught in purgatory for months at the start of the season because teams didn't want to pay the money and give up a pick, usually guys who are good but not top end players. Isn't Keuchel one of those guys, and he was at a similar age with a similar (maybe better) career and had been a bit more durable? I'm not saying that will happen with Wheeler. But it's not impossible. He and his agent would certainly have to consider and deal with it once the Mets extend the qualifying offer. I mean, the Mets didn't/couldn't trade him, which might also suggest that other teams weren't valuing him as highly as you might expect. All of this might create room to reach a deal after the Mets extend a qualifying offer .

. . . . Ah, never mind, it's the Wilpons.

lotta trolls out there which is embarrassing more for the troll then who they are insulting. I never understood the point of a troll. As for me I just feel bad for the Mets fans. The constant losing and coming up short on expectations year after year is hard to take (as a RU fan I know). The busts of big players are even more infuriating. While several have argued that the Mets fans are not as classy as yankee fans , while mostly likeky true, is hard to prove so don’t understand why bring it up. Mets fan seem happy with a 500 season so this year seems like a big success. So let’s just be happy. Yankee fans can worry about the world series.
Lol, Troll

Reactions: yesrutgers01
a
I guess it means "no Wheeler" given the Wilpons. But over the last few years some free agents, particularly pitchers, have been caught in purgatory for months at the start of the season because teams didn't want to pay the money and give up a pick, usually guys who are good but not top end players. Isn't Keuchel one of those guys, and he was at a similar age with a similar (maybe better) career and had been a bit more durable? I'm not saying that will happen with Wheeler. But it's not impossible. He and his agent would certainly have to consider and deal with it once the Mets extend the qualifying offer. I mean, the Mets didn't/couldn't trade him, which might also suggest that other teams weren't valuing him as highly as you might expect. All of this might create room to reach a deal after the Mets extend a qualifying offer .

. . . . Ah, never mind, it's the Wilpons.
I think Wheeler May find himself in a Keuchel type situation. He was on the brink and if he had a full year similar to his 2nd half of 18, he would have been an A list guy and gotten an early Corbin type deal. His subpar season may hurt him quite a bit like it did Keuchel

If the Mets make Wheeler a qualifying offer, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he takes it. He'd be betting on himself. And if he loses the bet, he still has an $18M consolation prize.
I hope he takes that chance. Whos his agent?

Reactions: rags
Just a prediction: Mike Matheny will be next Mets manager. Have a feeling Girardi will be too expensive and probably not want to deal with Wilpons and Brodie. I’d be ok with Matheny as a consolation. Seems like the boring type of manager Wilpons love to get a la Randolph, art howe, calloway etc

Just a prediction: Mike Matheny will be next Mets manager. Have a feeling Girardi will be too expensive and probably not want to deal with Wilpons and Brodie. I’d be ok with Matheny as a consolation. Seems like the boring type of manager Wilpons love to get a la Randolph, art howe, calloway etc

That would be worse than Mickey. PUKE!!!

Reactions: shields

Matheny is a horrible choice.

Reactions: Zak57
Wheeler is not taking the QO. You guys are really off on this. Wheeler is not Keuchel either.
Are you saying Wheeler or Keuchel is better? I like Wheeler a lot but has never won more than 12...ok get it, wins don't count so much anymore...but has never struck out 200 and never an era under 3.31 and I don't believe he ever won a CY.
If QO is nearly 18mil- I just can't see any team going for a 3/4 year 60/80 mil for him. He may find himself closer to 3 year 40-45 mil.

Are you saying Wheeler or Keuchel is better? I like Wheeler a lot but has never won more than 12...ok get it, wins don't count so much anymore...but has never struck out 200 and never an era under 3.31 and I don't believe he ever won a CY.
If QO is nearly 18mil- I just can't see any team going for a 3/4 year 60/80 mil for him. He may find himself closer to 3 year 40-45 mil.
This is why I think the Mets can sign him to a new deal.

This is why I think the Mets can sign him to a new deal.
Agree...Myself- I sign Wheeler as he did not have the year that put him over 20 per year long term. Give him a 3 year $50 mil deal. Also offer Noah a Nola type deal.Neither break the bank for the value you are getting back.

I see a FA list for next year and Marte(CF) is on it...do we take a run at him? Betances on it too- do you take a flier on him after his injury?

As for a wheeler- also does not help him that there are 2 A+ guys on it with Cole and Strausburg

I am not. Keuchel had a higher peak but Wheeler with his potential will get him more money. I compare him more to Eovaldi and look what he got on the market.

I have a friend who is a Cardinals fan and he hated Matheny as much as we hated Mickey.

Reactions: tico brown
Lot of parallels between the Mets manager search and the RU coaching search. In both cases there is a clear front runner and popular choice - a veteran charismatic leader who has previously succeeded "here". However, with both there are the same two concerns: will management offer the required salary, and the required level of control?

Lot of parallels between the Mets manager search and the RU coaching search. In both cases there is a clear front runner and popular choice - a veteran charismatic leader who has previously succeeded "here". However, with both there are the same two concerns: will management offer the required salary, and the required level of control?
Davey Johnson is the front runner? :Sly:

Reactions: redking and shields
Hope this is a sign...

There is no question that Girardi is interested in the Mets job. He's made it clear he's interested in ANY job - on his terms that is. The BVW-Callaway working model would not work for Girardi. What BVW calls "collaboration", Girardi would term as unacceptable interference. Plus there is the money issue. BVW says that is not an object, but is it his call? We shall see.

If hiring a particular manager takes any serious money away that might otherwise be available for the roster, I'd pass on that manager. Unfortunately, in Wilpon world, this is a consideration.

Funny you should mention him. In terms of analytics, he was about 20 years ahead of his time. Remember how he kept a computer in the dugout and everyone (well, a lot of people) thought he was crazy?
Can you clue me in as to who you are talking about? Beltran? Showalter? The squeaky voiced former manager of the Yankees?

Interesting names I just saw on TV...
John Franco- would be a BVW pauper if you ask me
Robin Ventura- hmmmm I didn’t follow him much as CWS manager but BVW may not like choice words and being hung up on from the dugout
Beltran- sort of intriguing. Don’t think he would be a puppet and has respect from everyone. Just no experience
And of coarse the regulars- Gerardi no puppet and Matheny puppet

With the exception of Girardi and maybe one or two others, the names being bandied about are just garbage. I truly hope it's Girardi.

I just cannot see the Mets going with a first time manager again after all the Mickey mistakes we witnessed over the past two years. Of course, this is the Mets so anything is possible. Still hoping BVW calls Schiano.

The choices as of now I hate the most would be Matheny and John Franco. I'm intrigued by Beltran or Espada.

Interesting names I just saw on TV...
John Franco- would be a BVW pauper if you ask me
Robin Ventura- hmmmm I didn’t follow him much as CWS manager but BVW may not like choice words and being hung up on from the dugout
Beltran- sort of intriguing. Don’t think he would be a puppet and has respect from everyone. Just no experience
And of coarse the regulars- Gerardi no puppet and Matheny puppet
Franco, Beltran? I guess so--why not add a manager with no experience whatsoever to match the resume of the GM. At least Ventura managed before, though I have no idea whether he's good at it. More to the point, I don't think being an ex-Met should matter in this slightest.

Franco, Beltran? I guess so--why not add a manager with no experience whatsoever to match the resume of the GM. At least Ventura managed before, though I have no idea whether he's good at it. More to the point, I don't think being an ex-Met should matter in this slightest.
Wish I knew more about Ventura- maybe the american league guys- 3 Amigos(mybe be valuable here for a change) but he is intriguing along with Girardi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT