ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019 Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rendon will be 30 next year and there is no way I would pay him $30 per for 7 years. The Mets already have a deal like that with Cano. Let Washington have their Cano in a few years. I would love to have him for 4 years with an option.
If we didn’t have Cano on the books then maybe...on the other hand...as I have been saying, if we go with either McNeil or Davis at 3B and the other LF...we have our .300+ 25-30 HR guy in that spot. No where near Redon fielding but gives us room to spend elsewhere. If we trade Davis, the we do need to do something

We should consider trading Syndergaard for Kris Bryant. Both are struggling and would benefit from a change in scenery. We can throw in Lowrie. Lugo can then go into the starting rotation. That would leave us a bigger hole in the bullpen but our lineup, SP would be set for at least 5 years. We can then trade Dom Smith and/or Davis for relievers and another closer in case Diaz flames out again next year.

Last edited:
We should consider trading Syndergaard for Kris Bryant. Both are struggling and would benefit from a change in scenery. We can throw in Lowrie. Lugo can then go into the starting rotation. That would leave us a bigger hole in the bullpen but our hitting, SP would be set for at least 5 years. We can then trade Dom Smith and/or Davis for relievers and another closer in case Diaz flames out again next year.
McNeil will be at 3B next year or you can put JD Davis at 3B plus Lowrie as insurance. I don't think 3B is that critical given we lose Wheeler and who knows if Lugo will make a successful transition as a SP.

My concerns via priority order is as follows:

1. Bullpen, Bullpen and More Bullpen
2. Manager
3. Center Field
4. Starting Rotation
5. Backup catcher who can play if Ramos gets hurt

All of the above need to be addressed

Last edited:
McNeil will be at 3B next year or you can put JD Davis at 3B plus Lowrie as insurance. I don't think 3B is that critical given we lose Wheeler and who knows if Lugo will make a successful transition as a SP.

My concerns via priority order is as follows:

1. Bullpen, Bullpen and More Bullpen
2. Manager
3. Center Field
4. Starting Rotation

If I am the Met's, I give Lugo a nice little bump and tell him that he and Diaz are going to battle it out for closer and the other one will be the 8th inning guy. And if that is Lugo- sometimes the 7-8 inning guy. No way do I take him out of the bullpen. Either sign Wheeler or find another starter. Lugo is just way too important to the team where he is. Where Diaz lost us at least 10 games, Lugo was almost as valuable the other way around.

As for a 3B- I don't trade anyone for a 3B...We have 2 options there and both are good options. Exactly as you stated above. Now, I would have gone after Rendon as a FA but looks like he will be a Harper type contract. We don't need to do that because of McNeil/Davis
If I were to trade Noah- I need a CF, BP or backup C and a top prospect. But I don't trade Noah unless I sign Wheeler

I'm still pretty convinced we offer the QO to Wheeler. He rejects and gets a nice deal on the open market. Syndergaard will have his normal rumors but ultimately stays with the team. We sign a 5th starter type and then David Peterson will be first man up if someone goes down unless it's in the first two months. Rotation stays similar with deGrom/Syndergaard/Stroman/Matz/New 5th SP.

I'm still pretty convinced we offer the QO to Wheeler. He rejects and gets a nice deal on the open market. Syndergaard will have his normal rumors but ultimately stays with the team. We sign a 5th starter type and then David Peterson will be first man up if someone goes down unless it's in the first two months. Rotation stays similar with deGrom/Syndergaard/Stroman/Matz/New 5th SP.
I think I would also offer Noah a ‘Nola’ type contract extension. May even get his head back in the game.
My starting pitchers- would love to stack them in rotation like this if no Wheeler
DeGrom
Stroman
Noah
Matz

Reactions: Zak57
Just to be clear, Darling isn't claiming any inside info here. Was asked for his opinion and offered it. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Should have been gone by now if they were booting. Not feeling it.
It was known all along that the decision would be made at the organization meetings which started today (or maybe last night after sundown, upon close of Rosh Hashanah.) Mets have these organization meetings every year at season's end. The manager is routinely invited - except for this year, when Mickey was not invited. That in itself says a lot.

These meetings are wide ranging and typically cover multiple days. They may well have already decided (one way or another) and are waiting to announce until the meetings are concluded.

We'll all know soon enough.

The Wilpons want to have a stiff in that position to take some of the heat offf themselves. Mickey Moron is perfect for that. They don’t care about winning. They only care about money.

The Wilpons want to have a stiff in that position to take some of the heat offf themselves. Mickey Moron is perfect for that. They don’t care about winning. They only care about money.

Afraid of the Mickey deflects heat angle too.

Watching d’Arnauld batting cleanup on a playoff team and I just don’t get it. The Rays look like the Island of Misfit Toys and the A’s lineup is horrendous. The Rays won 96 games and the A’s won 97. The Rays bullpen is very good, and I realize both teams are heavy into analytics but it’s amazing these two underwhelming teams won that many games.

Last edited:
It was known all along that the decision would be made at the organization meetings which started today (or maybe last night after sundown, upon close of Rosh Hashanah.) Mets have these organization meetings every year at season's end. The manager is routinely invited - except for this year, when Mickey was not invited. That in itself says a lot.

These meetings are wide ranging and typically cover multiple days. They may well have already decided (one way or another) and are waiting to announce until the meetings are concluded.

We'll all know soon enough.
NY Post reporting by end of week a decision will be made. Apparently, Mets insiders thankfully want to move on from Mickey Buffoon but it will be Fred's decision.

Watching d’Arnauld batting cleanup on a playoff team and I just don’t get it. The Rays look like the Island of Misfit Toys and the A’s lineup is horrendous. The Rays won 96 games and the A’s won 97. The Rays bullpen is very good, and I realize both teams are heavy into analytics but it’s amazing these two underwhelming teams won that many games.
Tampa Bay has averaged almost 90 wins past 12 years. They always put themselves in contention. Its a shame they don't draw fans.

Ken Rosenthal threw out an interesting name that might be in the running for new Mets manager when we fire Mickey. Carlos Beltran.

Ken Rosenthal threw out an interesting name that might be in the running for new Mets manager when we fire Mickey. Carlos Beltran.
I much prefer an experienced/winning manager and maybe get Beltran as his Bench coach. But not a bad idea...Beltran has been all class from day one and even post retirement. He has done it all and respected by older players and young alike. And somehow- I don't see him taking that call during the game to tell him what to do...

NYP now reporting that Brodie is scheduled to speak with Mickey today. Reportedly this is not yet a notification that he is or is not fired. Rather, it is a dialogue with minds still open.

Sounds to me that @FrankZ may be right - he may be staying.
https://nypost.com/2019/10/03/brodie-van-wagenen-mickey-callaway-to-speak-ahead-of-mets-resolution/

The Phillies are also letting their manager, Gabe Kapler, twist slowly in the wind. Apparently the GM's office wants to keep him, but it's not clear what the owner thinks; sounds like the Mets are in the same situation of needing to hear from the big boss.

I understand that Giraldi is thought to be too hard on young players, and that Maddon is heading for Anaheim.
If Joe G was your manager this season, the Mets would have made the playoffs. Even after 2 years of success under Boone, I would take Joe G back with the Yanks in a heartbeat.

If Joe G was your manager this season, the Mets would have made the playoffs. Even after 2 years of success under Boone, I would take Joe G back with the Yanks in a heartbeat.
If this was the case, Mets wouldve won the division, let alone playoffs. Diaz wouldn't have his MLB record 15 blown saves.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT