ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019 Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now there's a lot of dead weight in the lineup. Some guys can't hit for a single even if you spot them a double.

Mickey visits the mound. Changes pitchers. The result:
giphy.gif

I hate giving guys a set pecking order coming out of the pin except for the closer. This is how you get into trouble because some guys become complacent.

Not sure why he didn't go Gsellman there. In fact it made 0 sense to go Familia especially after last night when he pushed Familia an extra out and he stunk.

Up to 5 pitchers used and Wheeler went 7. Fire this guy 1 year and 2 months ago.
The problem all started with Familia. Calloway is deadset on making him the 8th inning guy. He hasn't done anything to earn that position. Meanwhile, you have some young, hungry guys willing to do whatever it takes to win but can't seem to catch a break.

Reactions: tico brown
McNeil taking second earlier in Rosario's at-bat was huge. Had he not taken second, Turner could have flipped the ball to the second baseman, and it's on to extra innings.
That was huge, and I hate that defensive indifference. the odds of a double steal are remote. Throw the guy out. That's how I played behind the plate, and that's how I coached it.

We won today, but no way we win these games against good competition. Callaway cannot manage the one thing he was supposed to be able to do - pitching. 4 pitchers for 2 innings when the starting pitcher goes 7, that is a fire-able offense. Good teams and good managers would recognize the excess use of pitchers and beat the Mets in extra innings. Fire Callaway and hire Soscia?

That was huge, and I hate that defensive indifference. the odds of a double steal are remote. Throw the guy out. That's how I played behind the plate, and that's how I coached it.
Defensive indifference isn't just about protecting against the double steal. It's primarily about maintaining defensive positioning. Davis wasn't being held on by the first baseman, nor should he have been. When he broke for second, neither middle infielder left their position to cover, nor should they have.

Defensive indifference isn't just about protecting against the double steal. It's primarily about maintaining defensive positioning. Davis wasn't being held on by the first baseman, nor should he have been. When he broke for second, neither middle infielder left their position to cover, nor should they have.

Thank you...positioning the 1B is far more important than the runner. Double steal has almost nothing to do with this and defensive indifference has been around for as long as I can remember. In this case, it worked against the Nats but it is the right play by them. On the other hand...I was a little confused when the Met's put a man on first when the Nats had a runner on 3rd with 1 out and then played the infield in. Wouldnt the right positioning be to either be halfway or have middle inf set for double play and coners in?

Thank you...positioning the 1B is far more important than the runner. Double steal has almost nothing to do with this and defensive indifference has been around for as long as I can remember. In this case, it worked against the Nats but it is the right play by them. On the other hand...I was a little confused when the Met's put a man on first when the Nats had a runner on 3rd with 1 out and then played the infield in. Wouldnt the right positioning be to either be halfway or have middle inf set for double play and coners in?
Well if you have an athletic 1b man, you can still hold the runner. I remember Keith Hernandez doing that all the time and as the pitch was thrown, jumping back across the field to play behind the runner,keeping the force in play.

Mets win 2 in a row against the Nats but reading the posts here you would think they lost by 10 runs. And you scream about Yankees fans post [eyeroll]
You guys are brutal!

Mets win 2 in a row against the Nats but reading the posts here you would think they lost by 10 runs. And you scream about Yankees fans post [eyeroll]
You guys are brutal!
I am happy as a pig in slop. Any time you beat the Nationals it is a good day. Both wins were without the arms of DeGrom and Thor. Alonso is a beast. Need Conforto back healthy but a good sign that they did not roll over like they did against the Marlins. Long way to go but at least it is a start

I am happy as a pig in slop. Any time you beat the Nationals it is a good day. Both wins were without the arms of DeGrom and Thor. Alonso is a beast. Need Conforto back healthy but a good sign that did not roll over like they did against the Marlins. Long way to go but at least it is a start
Exactly. Wasn't pretty but in the end it's a much needed W but the comments above are ridiculous especially before the game is even over!

Well if you have an athletic 1b man, you can still hold the runner. I remember Keith Hernandez doing that all the time and as the pitch was thrown, jumping back across the field to play behind the runner,keeping the force in play.
Maybe against a lefty hitter. But nowadays against a right hand batter, the first baseman plays so far off the line that it is impossible to hold the runner and still get back into position.

We won today, but no way we win these games against good competition. Callaway cannot manage the one thing he was supposed to be able to do - pitching. 4 pitchers for 2 innings when the starting pitcher goes 7, that is a fire-able offense. Good teams and good managers would recognize the excess use of pitchers and beat the Mets in extra innings. Fire Callaway and hire Soscia?
Some of you guys invent reasons to rip Callaway. Using four pitchers in two innings is a fireable offense? Every manager in modern baseball history has done that at times.

Let's say Callaway had left Bashlor in to pitch the ninth, and he gave up the lead. I can hear the outcry on this board. "Tie game at home, ninth inning, you MUST bring in your closer. FIRE CALLAWAY!"

I swear some of you believe that the Mets are 22-0, but Callaway is 0-25.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Don't know why he keeps throwing Familia more than 1 inning and bringing him in high leverage spots at this time.

You guys are brutal!
See me when the Mets are at .500 in a season which they should be in first place.

KH is in the conversation as greatest fielding 1B in history and without a doubt the most aggressive with a great arm. If the guy was right handed, he may have been a great fielding SS. You can’t use him as an example

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT