ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019 Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cespedes has multiple ankle fractures. Can’t make this stuff up.

Last edited:
Someone put in a big bet on the Mets today,knocking them down from +140 to +120.Then,the crowd continued to back Corbin pushing the Mets back up to +140 again.
Clearly the odds on the Mets plummeted when they announced Font as tonight's starter.

Lugo to IL with tendonitis. Santiago up.

Cano out of starting lineup tonight. Disciplinary, or simply a function of suckitude?

Lugo to IL with tendonitis. Santiago up.

Cano out of starting lineup tonight. Disciplinary, or simply a function of suckitude?

Hopefully discipline but they'll play it off as scheduled day off.

Cespedes lol can't make this stuff up. Fell into a hole.

Cespedes has multiple ankle fractures. Can’t make this stuff up.
Oh Magoo you've done it again.

In related news, . . . oh forget it. I can't think of anything more ridiculous to say about this snake-bitten, incompetently run excuse for a baseball franchise. Watching the Polo Grounds slowly deteriorate would've been better than becoming a fan of this train wreck. Thanks Bill Shea, for a lifetime of sports misery.

Reactions: cicero grimes
As much as I want to blame Calloway for this mess, it's starting to have Jeff Coupon fingerprints over all it. I did not know BVW and Jeff are golfing buddies and live near each other. BVW is a "yes" man for Jeff, and that's how he got the job. BVW player personnel moves are Jeff's ideas, and to take care of BVW former clients who needed a job.

Whatever the sport, it's always easier to blame the manager /head coach and to get rid of him rather than the players. Not saying he is without some blame but he doesn't bat, pitch, field or run the bases. You can only play the guys provided by management and the scouting department. Overly simplistic, but the difference in the two NY teams so far can be seen in LeMahieu for the Yanks and Lowrie for the Mets.

Whatever the sport, it's always easier to blame the manager /head coach and to get rid of him rather than the players. Not saying he is without some blame but he doesn't bat, pitch, field or run the bases. You can only play the guys provided by management and the scouting department. Overly simplistic, but the difference in the two NY teams so far can be seen in LeMahieu for the Yanks and Lowrie for the Mets.

Managers don’t play everyday, but many, many examples of managers/head coaches taking over a team and the team turns it around. I think in professional sports where the talent level difference between most teams in minimal, coaching can be the difference. With the Mets, they are at a fork in the road. Either go all in or rebuild. If rebuilding then trade the most valuable players. If going all in then get a different manager, a different voice, a different philosophy. Regardless something has to change. Status quo will only lead to same result as last 2-3 years.

Does that mean the Mets can void the rest of his contract for non-baseball related injury? I am sure insurance wont pick up that tab.
On SNY they addressed exactly that question. The answer is it depends on exactly how he got hurt.

Every baseball contract has a list of prohibited activities. If you get hurt while engaging in a prohibited activity, the team can change your contract from guaranteed to non-guaranteed. That is what the Yankees did to Aaron Boone some years back when he got hurt playing basketball. Obviously the Yankees action didn't burn any bridges.

It's of course possible that he could have gotten hurt in an activity which could reasonably be considered hazardous, but isn't explicitly prohibited. Then the lawyers have at it.

On SNY they addressed exactly that question. The answer is it depends on exactly how he got hurt.

Every baseball contract has a list of prohibited activities. If you get hurt while engaging in a prohibited activity, the team can change your contract from guaranteed to non-guaranteed. That is what the Yankees did to Aaron Boone some years back when he got hurt playing basketball. Obviously the Yankees action didn't burn any bridges.

It's of course possible that he could have gotten hurt in an activity which could reasonably be considered hazardous, but isn't explicitly prohibited. Then the lawyers have at it.
An interesting (IMHO at least) corollary to this question:

Mike Puma‏Verified account@NYPost_Mets
If the Mets go after Cespedes' contract, I was told it's not out of the realm of possibility - depending on how the agreement is written - that Cespedes' agent from the deal would have to forfeit part of his commission. That agent would be Brodie Van Wagenen.

As much as I want to blame Calloway for this mess, it's starting to have Jeff Coupon fingerprints over all it. I did not know BVW and Jeff are golfing buddies and live near each other. BVW is a "yes" man for Jeff, and that's how he got the job. BVW player personnel moves are Jeff's ideas, and to take care of BVW former clients who needed a job.
Just like with Joe Maddon (at the time), you actually thought Wilpon was going to hire someone who is actually qualified for the GM job like Chase Bloom?

Cespedes was signed to a 4 year, $110 million deal starting in 2017. Since then:

2017: 81 G, 291 AB, .292 w/ 17 HR 42 RBI
2018: 38 G, 141 AB, .262 w/ 9 HR 29 RBI
2019: Zero. Point. Zero.

That's some really scary math.

OK I'll play along. Let's say the Mets, right now, brought up EVERY legitimate major league prospect currently playing for Syracuse. Every single damn one.

QUESTION - Whom do you send down?

ANSWER - You don't have to send anyone down, because you didn't bring anyone up. The Mets have no MLB prospects at the AAA level. Soon they will promote Anthony Kay to Syracuse from Binghamton. Then they'll have one.

As far as the manager goes, can you even NAME (without looking it up) the Syracuse manager? Can anyone on this board? I know I can't. And you want to promote him? IF (big if) Callaway does get the boot, Jim Riggleman is the obvious interim replacement.
The Syracuse team is a wasteland. Makes me hate this past offseason even more, traded away a bunch of prospects for a lot of nothing.

The Syracuse team is a wasteland. Makes me hate this past offseason even more, traded away a bunch of prospects for a lot of nothing.
To your first point - I wouldn't say a wasteland. It's a "win now" roster, with a MLB-ready fill in available at every position. Two of them, Hechevarria and Gomez, are currently up. But... no prospects, no bueno.

To your second point - J.D. Davis says hi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT