ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019 Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twenty years ago today - The Mercury Mets!

BfrH8UkIMAAGQAA.jpg:large

Dom Smith to IL with foot injury. Aaron Altherr back up.

Trade rumors getting crazier. Latest is Syndergaard to San Diego, with the Mets using part of the haul to acquire Stroman from Toronto.

I'm at a point where I can't stand the Mets' front office and ownership. Talk about some idiot running the ship. How do you turn around and get into serious talks about trading away Diaz and swallow Cano? You gave away your top prospects to get them. At best you get some prospects who will not help you anytime soon. Meanwhile, you're telling guys like McNeil, Alonso, and Rosario you're may not be around when we're good enough to win in about 5 or 6 years.

Another thing that p*sses me off is the talk about trading Thor for more prospects. I was listening to the radio (can't remember the station) and they said the Mets are in a position of power with depth at starting pitching, but to trade away any of the top 3 starters might be foolish. More than 90% of the MLB are lucky to have two quality starters, so these teams are always searching for a third starter. It difficult to find three quality starters, so why are the Mets willing part ways with Thor knowing how hard it will be to replace him. Plus, Wheeler could still walk even if the Mets make an offer.

The Mets could be in full rebuild, but they would be wasting the current young talent and have no depth in the minor or quality free agents to replenish the starting pitching. Also, the bullpen is still an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: cicero grimes
Dom Smith to IL with foot injury. Aaron Altherr back up.

Trade rumors getting crazier. Latest is Syndergaard to San Diego, with the Mets using part of the haul to acquire Stroman from Toronto.
Is Stroman a former BVW client? Rather keep Syndergaard if theyre going to do all that.

Was thinking about a NS trade and this thought cane to me as I thought of the Padres. We do it if they also take back Cano(we pick up some of his salary) they give us a Major league OF, one of the young pitchers and a top prospect or 2.

Is Jed Lowrie still alive? Are the Wilpons taking the insurance money and putting it in their pockets? That makes is 3 high priced players that they are making money out of (Lowrie, Cespedes, Wright). What a scam the Wilpons are running. No wonder they were associated with Maddoff.

Reactions: tico brown
Is Jed Lowrie still alive? Are the Wilpons taking the insurance money and putting it in their pockets? That makes is 3 high priced players that they are making money out of (Lowrie, Cespedes, Wright). What a scam the Wilpons are running. No wonder they were associated with Maddoff.
While the Mets suck and ownership sucks...what the hell are to talking about?

This would not surprise me one bit.

I am talking about insurance money the Wilpons are getting back from these 3 highly paid guys on the disabled list. The money is being pocketed by the owners and not reinvested into the team.
Arent 2 of them BVW clients?

I don't know if the Mets have an insurance policy on Lowrie, they do on the other two. But the Mets aren't making money on any of them. The policies do not pay 100% of the salaries. The three are still costing the Mets money while producing nothing. They just aren't costing as much as they otherwise would.

Another day, another set of rumors:
  • Newsday is now reporting that per a Mets' source, Syndergaard is likely staying.
  • But on the other hand... NY Post is reporting that Syndergaard, Wheeler, and Diaz are ALL likely to be moved, with Wheeler and Diaz as a possible package deal.
  • In addition to Stroman, Mets are also reportedly interested in D-backs Robbie Ray.
  • Oakland A's have jumped into the Syndergaard/Wheeler sweepstakes.
This much we know - it's a seller's market (or at least seems to be). With the resurgence of the Giants and Indians, Bumgarner and Bauer have been pulled off the market (we think). And there are a lot of .500-ish teams who seem to think that another starter puts them in the wild card hunt. If you are committed to a pitching sell-off, this may be the year to do it.

Anyway, we'll all know by Wednesday.

Mets gonna be 50-55 if they hold on. In 2015 they were 50-53 and made the World Series . Is this team going to do that? I would be surprised if they even made the wild card. But I wouldn’t be shocked. Baseball is a long season. Hopefully they give the fans meaningful games in August in September. That means at least 15-10 in the next 25.

Mets still have a leaky bullpen and management refuse to recognize the problem. Instead they want to screw up the the starting pitching for mostly prospects who probably can't help the team no earlier than 2021.

Mets still have a leaky bullpen and management refuse to recognize the problem. Instead they want to screw up the the starting pitching for mostly prospects who probably can't help the team no earlier than 2021.
Re the bullpen, what do you want them to do? They recognized the problem over the offseason and overpaid (either in prospects or in dollars) for Diaz, Familia, and Wilson. You can throw Avilan into that mix as well. Hasn't worked out, at least not yet. So what now? Surely you're not suggesting the Mets should be BUYERS, are you?

As far as what they "want to do" with the starting pitching, how about we wait three days and see what they actually do. Then if you want to rip 'em, go right ahead. That's what this thread is for. But let it be based on facts rather than rumors and speculation, which seems to change by the day.

Re the bullpen, what do you want them to do? They recognized the problem over the offseason and overpaid (either in prospects or in dollars) for Diaz, Familia, and Wilson. You can throw Avilan into that mix as well. Hasn't worked out, at least not yet. So what now? Surely you're not suggesting the Mets should be BUYERS, are you?

As far as what they "want to do" with the starting pitching, how about we wait three days and see what they actually do. Then if you want to rip 'em, go right ahead. That's what this thread is for. But let it be based on facts rather than rumors and speculation, which seems to change by the day.
Wilson was a solid signing when he's healthy. Diaz isn't bad but he connected to Cano which made the trade questionable from the start. The Mets know Familia better than anyone, so why would you pay him more as a setup man than what he received as a closer?
I'm not suggesting the Mets should be buyers, but I'm suggesting they don't compound their early mistakes with more dumb moves like the rush to trade Thor for peanuts. The don't have rush now to get something for him. Perhaps the off-season is better and not as stressful to act quickly. Also the Mets control Thor's rights for another two years, so are the Mets giving up on him in his prime?

I am talking about insurance money the Wilpons are getting back from these 3 highly paid guys on the disabled list. The money is being pocketed by the owners and not reinvested into the team.
They spend money, they spend it wrong. They paid out for Familia, Cabo, Lowrey, Ramos and signed deGrom,
They could win with the money they are spending.
I know we got insurance for Wright, has insurance picked up Cesp? And who else is there? I’m going blank...my bad

broadcast said Mets bullpen leads NL since All Star Break
Correct but let's not forget 24 blown leads before the all-star break. If they were to cut that in half, we are talking about playing for the division title. The problem now is it may be too little too late. The starting pitching is expendable because of the bullpen and the sad part is the bullpen may stay the same for the rest of the season.

Correct but let's not forget 24 blown leads before the all-star break. If they were to cut that in half, we are talking about playing for the division title. The problem now is it may be too little too late. The starting pitching is expendable because of the bullpen and the sad part is the bullpen may stay the same for the rest of the season.
OK, but the bullpen is still "leaky"? Rough day for Diaz again.

What did the Mets just do. Did they trade prospects for a guy who will be with them another year and probably just had a career year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT