ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019 Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this series meant something (i.e. the team had a prayer to win a ring this year), it would be royally extra annoying.

They are just following the trend. The Houston Astros did it first. As much as I can't stand the Wilpons, I think you overreacted.

I am at game. If anyone on that area has an obstructed view, there is plenty of room for them to move.

Vargas has actually shown a lot this year. Dude is really starting to look like a crafty pitcher that still has some big games left in his arm.
Wilson with a bad day but we were able to get away with it. When is the last time GSel did not give up a run?
They showed JF warming up and I thought game over.
McNeil is an absolute pleasure to watch. So much reminds me of Gwynn/Boggs

My two cents regarding the deadline. Don't trade Vargas or Wheels. Exercise the option on Vargas for next season. Sign or at least make a qualifying offer on Wheels so if he goes we get draft pick compensation. I don't think the return on either will merit a trade. We have enough Jacob Rhame types in the system already.

My two cents regarding the deadline. Don't trade Vargas or Wheels. Exercise the option on Vargas for next season. Sign or at least make a qualifying offer on Wheels so if he goes we get draft pick compensation. I don't think the return on either will merit a trade. We have enough Jacob Rhame types in the system already.
So would you trade Thor instead? Gotta do something, no? (This is not a rhetorical question - maybe you don't gotta do something. Maybe BVW is right - that this team is constructed to win, 2019 was the aberration, and next year will be better. I don't see it though.)

So would you trade Thor instead? Gotta do something, no? (This is not a rhetorical question - maybe you don't gotta do something. Maybe BVW is right - that this team is constructed to win, 2019 was the aberration, and next year will be better. I don't see it though.)
Why trade for trade's sake? Team is not going anywhere. If they can improve with a top prospect then do it. If not why give way Vargas and Wheels? They can both contribute next year and a draft pick might be worth more then what teams will pay for Wheels.

Why trade for trade's sake? Team is not going anywhere. If they can improve with a top prospect then do it. If not why give way Vargas and Wheels? They can both contribute next year and a draft pick might be worth more then what teams will pay for Wheels.
I totally agree. I don't understand the need to trade just because. The Mets' problem is the bullpen and you're not going to address that in trades during the season. Yet the impulse to made a trade has the Mets weakening an area of strength just to satisfy some trade pundits.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Fair enough. A couple of thoughts:

1) I would be shocked if the Mets re-sign Wheeler, unless they trade Thor, which I doubt. They're already paying deGrom, and you can't pay everybody. (Well maybe you CAN, but the Wilpons won't.)

2) The qualifying offer amount is north of $18M. The problem with making a qualifying offer, is that sometimes the guy takes it. See Neil Walker, 2017. I doubt that's in the Wilpons 2020 budget.

3) The compensatory draft pick is not as attractive as it used to be. It's after the second round (used to be the first) plus after a set of other bonus picks. Last year as compensation for Grandal, the Dodgers got the 78th pick.

My guess is that assuming Wheeler's start on Friday goes well, he will be traded for a decent return. Vargas stays and the Mets pick up his option. A year ago at this time, who would have thought that possible? You never can tell.

Please re-sign Cano for another 3 decades
Just give him a t-shirt and be done with it. Mets still gave away a shaggin wagon and got what is on the t-shirt.
dumb-and-dumber-totally-redeem-yourself-t-shirts-men-s-premium-t-shirt.jpg

1) I would be shocked if the Mets re-sign Wheeler, unless they trade Thor, which I doubt. They're already paying deGrom, and you can't pay everybody. (Well maybe you CAN, but the Wilpons won't.)

2) The qualifying offer amount is north of $18M. The problem with making a qualifying offer, is that sometimes the guy takes it. See Neil Walker, 2017. I doubt that's in the Wilpons 2020 budget.

3) The compensatory draft pick is not as attractive as it used to be. It's after the second round (used to be the first) plus after a set of other bonus picks. Last year as compensation for Grandal, the Dodgers got the 78th pick.

My guess is that assuming Wheeler's start on Friday goes well, he will be traded for a decent return. Vargas stays and the Mets pick up his option. A year ago at this time, who would have thought that possible? You never can tell.
This...quite honestly, Wheeler’s bad year and this injury pretty much killed what could have been the makings of a great trade. But, at this point, I don’t see him on the team next year so get something for him.
Vargas may be showing that 2018!was just a bad year and now could be very valuable on this team. No way I trade Thor unless we get at least one All Star type player back that is under control plus a top prospect.
Frazier - has grown on me but needs to be moved and throw McNeil or Davis there every day.

Only way they should trade anyone at this point if a team offers a package that would blow them away. Dont make the same trades that they been making for years just to be making trades (or in Wilpons case: salary dumps). Other than JD Davis, Syndergaard, and maybe Wheeler, what trade has ever worked out for the Mets?

Only way they should trade anyone at this point if a team offers a package that would blow them away. Dont make the same trades that they been making for years just to be making trades (or in Wilpons case: salary dumps). Other than JD Davis, Syndergaard, and maybe Wheeler, what trade has ever worked out for the Mets?

Cespedes, piazza . But those weren’t dumps.
Beltran was a dump and that worked out.

Reactions: redking

I think the compensatory pick is based on how much the player signs for, if it is $50 mil + you get the pick at the end of the first. Grandal signed 1 year for 18.

Edit: Looked into it further, you are right, as a non revenue sharing team we get the pick after compensatory round B, which I guess is after the 2nd round.

Still I'd like to keep Wheeler. And I'm also hoping Vargas's strong season has raised his value, and I would trade him. Trade Frazier no doubt about it, need to make room for McNeil or Davis.

Last edited:

What exactly do you expect to get for Wheeler that would make you move him now?. The main issue is the bullpen which can't be addressed until the off-season. I doubt if the Mets trade Wheeler they will get anything in return that will help them in the near future. Meanwhile, you've just turned a strength into another weakness.

Btw, ESPN (98.7) stated the Mets turned a double-digit profit while most teams did single-digit profits or showed negative growth. The money is there and you said it yourself the Mets do spend money, but they are not wise in how they spend it. Paying 3 quality pitchers is better than paying an often injured position player. That's where you win in the playoffs. Get rid of Frazier, Lagares, and Vargas and that would free up $25 million. Throw in Lowrie for another $6 million. That's wasteful spending right there in those four players.

Mets need to start playing players in the correct positions.Seems like everyone on the team plays either 1st or 3rd.

Hard to do when our team is made up of all !b/2B/3B and bad LF...We have 1 bad SS, no CF that can hit over .200 and aging vets locked in at 2B and 3B.

Cespedes, piazza . But those weren’t dumps.
Beltran was a dump and that worked out.
- Piazza was how long ago? And wasnt Doubleday still around when that happened?
- Cespedes was good for a half of 2015 and turned out to be an albatross.
- Didnt I include Wheeler as one of my three "good" examples?
- And how many in the who the Mets traded for recently whose ERA is 7.62 or have UCL injuries?
- So youre willing to trade Syndergaard or Wheeler for lower prospects because the other team is willing to eat up some contract for Thor or Wheeler

What exactly do you expect to get for Wheeler that would make you move him now?. The main issue is the bullpen which can't be addressed until the off-season. I doubt if the Mets trade Wheeler they will get anything in return that will help them in the near future. Meanwhile, you've just turned a strength into another weakness.

Btw, ESPN (98.7) stated the Mets turned a double-digit profit while most teams did single-digit profits or showed negative growth. The money is there and you said it yourself the Mets do spend money, but they are not wise in how they spend it. Paying 3 quality pitchers is better than paying an often injured position player. That's where you win in the playoffs. Get rid of Frazier, Lagares, and Vargas and that would free up $25 million. Throw in Lowrie for another $6 million. That's wasteful spending right there in those four players.
Since we're talking money... If the Mets let every one of their free agents (including Wheeler) walk, and then add in what they are paying d'Arnaud and a few other departed vets, they would save about $39M from 2019-2020.

A pretty nice nest egg to spend on next year's free agent class, right? WRONG!

Wrong because that $39M is pretty much already spent in terms of guaranteed contractual raises, and expected raises in arbitration. (DeGrom is getting a $16M raise, and he's just one guy.)

If the Mets are going to acquire any new free agents, or even keep the ones they have, they will need to loosen the purse strings - a lot. We shall see.

BTW, they can't dump Lowrie unless they find a taker. He's guaranteed for next year, with a $3M raise to boot.

- Piazza was how long ago? And wasnt Doubleday still around when that happened?
- Cespedes was good for a half of 2015 and turned out to be an albatross.
- Didnt I include Wheeler as one of my three "good" examples?
- And how many in the who the Mets traded for recently whose ERA is 7.62 or have UCL injuries?
- So youre willing to trade Syndergaard or Wheeler for lower prospects because the other team is willing to eat up some contract for Thor or Wheeler

You said “ever”. Right?
Cespedes trade was great. Signing him to a long term deal in 2017 was the problem.
Isn’t wheeler a free agent after the season ? Then trade him .

Reactions: tico brown
You said “ever”. Right?
So youre going to bring up Hernandez and Carter as well? Maybe Ive shouldve said recent history, not last century.
Cespedes trade was great. Signing him to a long term deal in 2017 was the problem.
Just like what I said.
Isn’t wheeler a free agent after the season ? Then trade him .
Trade him for who? Not exactly going to get top players for him. Youre probably going to get the same 2, 29 year old bullpen arms with the 5.35 ERA who will never help the Mets out... or a 26 year old utility infielder with a 201 avg. Mets have enough of both.

Noah has rocks for brains. Walks the Padres fastest player and that guy steals 3 bases in first three innings.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Who still believes Conforto is a good hitter? IMO he's a .250 hitter, and it screams roll (bench) player.

2015 (56 games) - .270 BA
2016 (109 games) - .220 BA
2017 (109 games) - .279 BA
2018 (153 games) - .243 BA
2019 (91 games so far) - .247 BA

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT