ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019 Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a Mets fan, but follow them a lot since I live in the area. I would not mess with any of the young core players at the trade deadline this year unless someone blows you away with an offer. I would see what you can get from guys like Vargas, Wheeler (tough now that he is on the IL) and Frazier, etc.

I know Dom Smith is blocked to a certain extent, but keep trying to develop him in LF and see what you have. The homegrown core is pretty solid so far: Alonso, McNeil, Conforto, Smith, Rosario.
They have also talked about possibly having Alonso give 3B a shot off season to see if that may be an option and have Smith at 1B.
Weird that I still here some announcers talk about Smith’s lack of power. Over a full season he would be on a 30-35 HR pace..,

They have also talked about possibly having Alonso give 3B a shot off season to see if that may be an option and have Smith at 1B.
Weird that I still here some announcers talk about Smith’s lack of power. Over a full season he would be on a 30-35 HR pace..,
His defense has been better than expected and he has worked hard at it. He has a chip on his shoulder about the bad defense rap and that's a good thing. If he transfers that work ethic over to third, it could work out for everyone.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I'm not a Mets fan, but follow them a lot since I live in the area. I would not mess with any of the young core players at the trade deadline this year unless someone blows you away with an offer. I would see what you can get from guys like Vargas, Wheeler (tough now that he is on the IL) and Frazier, etc.

I know Dom Smith is blocked to a certain extent, but keep trying to develop him in LF and see what you have. The homegrown core is pretty solid so far: Alonso, McNeil, Conforto, Smith, Rosario.
I think that the Mets will proceed exactly as you have outlined. No trades other than expiring contracts, unless someone blows them away, which I do not expect.

I had not heard any discussion about moving Alonso to third, but it is intriguing. I found a 2017 article which addresses that possibility. Apparently he played some third in HS and freshman year of college. It sounds like he might welcome a return there, because it would give him the opportunity to show off his throwing arm.
http://metsminors.net/peter-alonso-talks-playing-third-base-and-first-pro-experience/

Reactions: redking

I guarantee you two of them will be gone by offseason if BVW has anything to do with this (Smith/Rosario).

I guarantee you two of them will be gone by offseason if BVW has anything to do with this (Smith/Rosario).
Given BVW is the GM I figure he does have something to do with it.

And moving both those guys make sense but for different reasons. Smith because he looks like a legit hitter, so he should have value but he doesn't have a clear cut position with the team. Even if you want to make him a left fielder, we have other options there too.

Rosario would make sense if you are looking to upgrade the SS position, which any competent GM would at least explore.

I'm not moving Alonso from 1st. He has the body type of a 1st baseman, and as a rookie he is proving himself a star at the position.
I'm not messing with that at all.
They are all young and very early into this thing. Don’t reject any possibilities just yet.

Given BVW is the GM I figure he does have something to do with it.

And moving both those guys make sense but for different reasons. Smith because he looks like a legit hitter, so he should have value but he doesn't have a clear cut position with the team. Even if you want to make him a left fielder, we have other options there too.

Rosario would make sense if you are looking to upgrade the SS position, which any competent GM would at least explore.
Are you sure he IS the GM and not Jeff Wilpons puppet? They let a legit GM go away and look at him now: hosting the AL wildcard game as of now. I mean Chaim Bloom and the Tampa front office has only had one of the best organizations for some time now, despite being in THAT division.

Are you sure he IS the GM and not Jeff Wilpons puppet? They let a legit GM go away and look at him now: hosting the AL wildcard game as of now. I mean Chaim Bloom and the Tampa front office has only had one of the best organizations for some time now, despite being in THAT division.
Do I think BVW left his high paying job as player agent to become Wilpons puppet? No I do not. I think the Cano trade and the Familia signing were 100% BVW.

Players who can field a position(pretty well as it turns out) and are ripping the cover off the ball, are not moved to another position.
You don’t move them during the season and maybe you don’t move Alonso at all. But if he could adapt to 3rd the way he has improved at 1st, maybe you give it a try during the off season. But only if Smith proves out to be a 280/290 30HR guy.
Smith is supposed to be really good at 1B. If me, I would love a perfect world where it happens, works out well and give Davis a shot at full time LF next year.

You don’t move them during the season and maybe you don’t move Alonso at all. But if he could adapt to 3rd the way he has improved at 1st, maybe you give it a try during the off season. But only if Smith proves out to be a 280/290 30HR guy.
Smith is supposed to be really good at 1B. If me, I would love a perfect world where it happens, works out well and give Davis a shot at full time LF next year.
You think Davis is a better LF than Smith?

Do I think BVW left his high paying job as player agent to become Wilpons puppet? No I do not. I think the Cano trade and the Familia signing were 100% BVW.
Good point because a legit GM would never have made that trade

I'm not even watching tonight's game, just occasionally following it online. And after what happened in the Mets turn at bat in the top of the 10th I dont care if they lose this game. Probably deserve to.

Reactions: BigEastPhil
Why Calloway didn’t have Ramos pinch hit for Nido is just another stain on Calloway. Do you really trust Nido to deliver ? I don’t. Then he wastes Ramos on the next ab via a free pass. Oh yeah, and why again is Juan lagares on this team forever and ever?

You think Davis is a better LF than Smith?
Not at all. But Smith is supposedly a superior 1B. Alonso has surprised us at 1B and is good but not superior. So, let’s say we had Alonso 1B, Davis 3B, Smith LF. That would give us average, bad, bad
If Alonso could prove to be at least as good at 3B as he is 1B we would have superior, Avg/bad, bad
That makes the entire team at least slightly better.
Keep in mind- who the F knows if this is really even considered. Smith may still be traded, they may never make Davis a starter and they may never consider moving Alonso if he is hitting 50 HR.

Not at all. But Smith is supposedly a superior 1B. Alonso has surprised us at 1B and is good but not superior. So, let’s say we had Alonso 1B, Davis 3B, Smith LF. That would give us average, bad, bad
If Alonso could prove to be at least as good at 3B as he is 1B we would have superior, Avg/bad, bad
That makes the entire team at least slightly better.
Keep in mind- who the F knows if this is really even considered. Smith may still be traded, they may never make Davis a starter and they may never consider moving Alonso if he is hitting 50 HR.
Alonso hasn’t played 3rd since high school or freshman year in college, and you think you can just move him over to 3rd. I would not mess with success. Smith is improving in left field anyway.

Did not see game, but yesterday's loss was so Mets. Took the lead in the top of the 16th, but lost it as they were out of relievers and had to run out Mazza for a second inning, despite his pitching two innings the day before. Rhame was unavailable because this happened to be the day he was serving a one game suspension for drilling Hoskins months ago.

The one day Rhame would have actually been useful, he's unavailable. Figures.

Had the game gone much further, Davis would have pitched and deGrom would have gone to left.

Did not see game, but yesterday's loss was so Mets. Took the lead in the top of the 16th, but lost it as they were out of relievers and had to run out Mazza for a second inning, despite his pitching two innings the day before. Rhame was unavailable because this happened to be the day he was serving a one game suspension for drilling Hoskins months ago.

The one day Rhame would have actually been useful, he's unavailable. Figures.

Had the game gone much further, Davis would have pitched and deGrom would have gone to left.

Let's be honest though Rhame sucks also so I'm sure he would have blown the game anyway.

Fun fact. There are 14 pitchers listed on the active roster of the Syracuse Mets. 11 of them have already pitched for the NY Mets this year. And obviously all have been found wanting, otherwise they wouldn't have been returned to Syracuse.

That is really not good.

Last edited:
Reactions: redking and Zak57
Why Calloway didn’t have Ramos pinch hit for Nido is just another stain on Calloway. Do you really trust Nido to deliver ? I don’t. Then he wastes Ramos on the next ab via a free pass. Oh yeah, and why again is Juan lagares on this team forever and ever?
The above would have won the game for the Mets in the 10th inning had Calloway pinch hit for Nido with Ramos withrunners on 2nd and 3rd and no outs. I had no confidence in Nido to deliver and he struck out of course. And then he pinch hits Ramos for the waste lagares and Ramos gets a free pass thus wasting
Him.

The above would have won the game for the Mets in the 10th inning had Calloway pinch hit for Nido with Ramos withrunners on 2nd and 3rd and no outs. I had no confidence in Nido to deliver and he struck out of course. And then he pinch hits Ramos for the waste lagares and Ramos gets a free pass thus wasting
Him.
But even after that Conforto has to put the ball in play up next rather than promptly striking out.

But even after that Conforto has to put the ball in play up next rather than promptly striking out.
Don’t disagree but I am confident that Ramos would have hit a sac fly at worst to drive in a run if pinch hit for Nido and Mets would be up by a run by the time Conforto was up.

You’re obsessed with this. Lol. He doesn’t deserve to have his name spelled out correctly.
Just a peeve, sorry. Nothing personal against you. Kind of reminds me of:
GalloPesci_ihttqw9m.png

Him.
But if Ramos hits for Nido, don't the Giants walk Ramos right then and there?

Now you've got to pinch hit Conforto for Lagares. If Conforto doesn't deliver, now the pitcher is up. Do you have any pinch hitters left? Would you take any of them over Nido, who actually has delivered multiple clutch hits this year.

Reactions: RUforJERSEY
But if Ramos hits for Nido, don't the Giants walk Ramos right then and there?

Now you've got to pinch hit Conforto for Lagares. If Conforto doesn't deliver, now the pitcher is up. Do you have any pinch hitters left? Would you take any of them over Nido, who actually has delivered multiple clutch hits this year.
Presume Ramos is walked. Bases loaded and no outs. Have lagares hit And the Conforto pinch hits for pitcher. Bases loaded and non outs are better than bases loaded with 1 out. As much as I dispise lagares, I like his chances better than Nido due to experience. Good point you raise

Not for nothing, wtf was Rosario way out there? Yes Smith shouldve made the play but he wouldve had a better play without wondering why was Rosario out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT