ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019 Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wheeler to IL. If it weren't for bad luck we'd have no luck.
Sign Wheeler...not going to get much for him anyhows.....get a Bullpen.....all financial flexibility goes to bullpen help.....Dump dead weight such as Lagares; Familia and Sign Girardi.........Had bullpen held onto half the leads it blew, team would be in divisional race and in the wild card........It's not as bleak as everyone thinks...but team has to acquire / sign 3-4 reliable arms for bullpen.....

Sign Wheeler...not going to get much for him anyhows.....get a Bullpen.....all financial flexibility goes to bullpen help.....Dump dead weight such as Lagares; Familia and Sign Girardi.........Had bullpen held onto half the leads it blew, team would be in divisional race and in the wild card........It's not as bleak as everyone thinks...but team has to acquire / sign 3-4 reliable arms for bullpen.....
As much as we would love to just dump JF and JL - ain’t going to happen with the money we are paying them. And quite honestly, something has to be physically wrong with JF. Even in any of his worst years, he was 3,times better then this.
Girardi? Not sure if he is even close to the answer.

As much as we would love to just dump JF and JL - ain’t going to happen with the money we are paying them. And quite honestly, something has to be physically wrong with JF. Even in any of his worst years, he was 3,times better then this.
Girardi? Not sure if he is even close to the answer.
Mets need a manager who will demand and command respect as well as hold players accountable. Calloway is a joke

He was coming off Tommy John right, thought they gave up on him too soon. Doing it to Yanks is very good.

While we're lamenting the ones who got away, how about Paul Blair? Never should have left him unprotected in the minor league draft after the 1962 season. (As Casey used to say, you can look it up.)

Reactions: shields
Want Justin Turner back.
Seriously, out of all the bad personnel decisions the Mets have made in their 58 years of existence, this to me is perhaps the most bothersome. In almost all other cases there was a clear rationale for the decision, and it just didn't work out. But in this one, the post-Madoff Wilpons were simply too cash poor to make him a qualifying offer.

Unbelievable. Darneau can’t hit 100 for Mets or throw out runners. Goes to Rays and turns into Johnnie Bench.
That offspeed pitch to d'Arnaud by Chapman was stupid.
Why did the Mets let this Johnny Bench clone get away ?

Seriously, out of all the bad personnel decisions the Mets have made in their 58 years of existence, this to me is perhaps the most bothersome. In almost all other cases there was a clear rationale for the decision, and it just didn't work out. But in this one, the post-Madoff Wilpons were simply too cash poor to make him a qualifying offer.
Melvin Mora for Mike Bordick
Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano

Melvin Mora for Mike Bordick
Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano
Absolutely nothing wrong with the Bordick trade, it just didn't work out. In 2000, Mets were all in to win, and needed a SS to replace the injured Ordonez. Bordick was an all star that very year with Baltimore! Plus it's not like Mora (28 years old at the time) was some great prospect. He didn't blossom until his 30's. Who knew?

But on the other hand... I totally agree about Kazmir/Zambrano. That was a disaster. This may be hard to believe, but in 2004 the Mets organization was dysfunctional! They had a core of veterans (Leiter, Glavine, Franco, Piazza) who had free access to the Wilpons. These veterans convinced the Wilpons that the team was ready to win now, and needed one more starting pitcher to put them over the hump. (EDIT: Actually, two more starting pitchers, they also acquired Kris Benson.) They were of course not close to being right. And unlike Mora, everyone knew Kazmir was a top prospect and was quite likely to hit it big.

My point is that you can't just evaluate results. You have to evaluate the process and rationale at the time. The Bordick trade was sound. The Zambrano trade was not.

Last edited:
Reactions: redking and Zak57
Looking back at some of the moves/non moves and others that we have discussed. We all want Turner back but let's be honest, at that point in his career, he would not have been considered a top 3B by any means. He was a 28- hitter with no power.Would have seemed easily replaced. I also believe he has really only had one full season without injury as well.
D Murphy - prior to the playoffs, most fans did not feel we should bring him back. Even after the playoffs, he won over quite a few people but many still did not feel he was worth the money he would want. N Walker seems like at least an even replacement with him. Looking back now, it is much like the 200k people that were there for the RU/Ville game on 06...everyone wanted him back and worst decision ever made. Prior to him leaving- he was a 285-290 hitter with 10 HR power and a bad fielder and often just looked lost on the bases.
I actually liked him before the playoffs and reminded me of a T Tueffel

Did anyone mention that Wheeler is prolly not injured.Just resting to get ready for his next move to another team.

What this team needs is a Frank Cashen type of GM who understands baseball and can evaluate talent. I have no confidence in Brody or his team getting fair value back for Wheeler or anyone else. Promote Brody to some BS VP role and get a baseball person to run the talent side.

Reactions: redking
Didnt you say last year or the year before that that the Mets injuries were part of the game?
I suggest you count up the number of games missed by Yankee players this season. I've never seen anything like it in terms of quantity and quality.
Yet there they are in first place. Amazin'

Who gives a shit about the Yankees? You have your own thread. Go whine there.
Whine ?
We're in first place. It's a great time to be a Yankees fan. Pointing out all of the injuries just makes it all that more impressive.
So, what did the Mets get in return for d'Arnaud ?

Whine ?
We're in first place. It's a great time to be a Yankees fan. Pointing out all of the injuries just makes it all that more impressive.
The only thing he was worth...We got to watch him spunk in the face of Yankee fans even if only for a day.

Do you really think e care in the slightest what the hell Travis is doing anywhere else?

Reactions: S.W.A.I.N
The Mets traded Nolan Ryan. That set the stage for everything that has happened since.

What this team needs is a Frank Cashen type of GM who understands baseball and can evaluate talent. I have no confidence in Brody or his team getting fair value back for Wheeler or anyone else. Promote Brody to some BS VP role and get a baseball person to run the talent side.

Agreed. Seen enough of the moves already made to know that a Wheeler trade would likely have been another disaster.

JACOB RHAME IS BACK!!!

I know it's been a tough year, but when we get news like this... well, that just makes it all worthwhile.

Whine ?
Really not impressive at all.

Bring back Gil Hodges.
109uyt.jpg

Actually, even as a Mets fan, it was pretty damn impressive.
But without another top starter- the playoffs will be a bitch
If you go out and get the league leader in home runs, and its not even a blip on the radar, your payroll is such that yes, you should be able to compete with injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT