ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019 Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I recorded the derby because I knew I wouldn't be home at the start. Set it for 30 minutes over. And as I'm watching and fast-forwarding through all of the commericals I get the sinking feeling that the recording is going to end before the derby does. So when does it end? Right before the final round. :flushed: Fortunately it was replaying again on ESPN deuce at 2:30 am so I set it to record again. :sunglasses: This time with 1:30 overage. Of course all I need to watch is the final round as I've seen the rest. That battle between Pederson and Guerrero Jr. was epic.

The Mets have to pick around the edges to upgrade their talent for now until they can redo their farm system. That's why a bullpen upgrade this offseason makes a lot of sense while they try to figure out who to keep and who to ship for young talent. It needs to be a fully committed rebuild at this point.
"Fully committed rebuild" = trade deGrom. If it didn't happen when his market value was at a peak, it sure ain't happening now.

Fred and Jeff didn't hire BVW to oversee a rebuild.

Turns out Grandal wanted to be a Met and still thinks it might happen.

"“I did think [signing with the Mets] was going to happen,” said Grandal, who has 19 homers, an .897 OPS and strong defensive metrics for the Brewers. “We had a really good conversation, Brodie [Van Wagenen] and I. We met. I think the meeting went great. Both sides were on the same page. We just couldn’t come to terms.”

Reactions: cicero grimes
Turns out Grandal wanted to be a Met and still thinks it might happen.

"“I did think [signing with the Mets] was going to happen,” said Grandal, who has 19 homers, an .897 OPS and strong defensive metrics for the Brewers. “We had a really good conversation, Brodie [Van Wagenen] and I. We met. I think the meeting went great. Both sides were on the same page. We just couldn’t come to terms.”
I guess Brodie can try to undo the mistake next year as Grandal is only on a 1 year deal.

"Fully committed rebuild" = trade deGrom. If it didn't happen when his market value was at a peak, it sure ain't happening now.

Fred and Jeff didn't hire BVW to oversee a rebuild.
And that's why it will remain more of the same for the immediate future.

I would have blown it with Grandal too (I’m a big postseason fantasy sports guy, and trust me the guy has been abysmal when it counts), but I sure as heck wouldn’t have made that boneheaded Cano trade that will likely set this team back a decade.

Reactions: redking
So I recorded the derby because I knew I wouldn't be home at the start. Set it for 30 minutes over. And as I'm watching and fast-forwarding through all of the commericals I get the sinking feeling that the recording is going to end before the derby does. So when does it end? Right before the final round. :flushed: Fortunately it was replaying again on ESPN deuce at 2:30 am so I set it to record again. :sunglasses: This time with 1:30 overage. Of course all I need to watch is the final round as I've seen the rest. That battle between Pederson and Guerrero Jr. was epic.
I watched the derby for the first time in entirety. Wow, what a show.
Pederson- Guerrero was a show upon itself.
The only thing that was a bit annoying...when they would keep comparing Vlad’s HR totals to Alonso. Don’t get me wrong, his totals were out of this world...but, numbers would have been much closer if Alonso didn’t end each round, including the final, before time ran out and if Glad didn’t have so many extra rounds. He still would have been up over everyone but it needed to be at least mentioned.
Question for anyone that watches Vlad play...Was that just a BP/HRD swing or does he swing like that all the time?
Never really noticed how pretty Pederson’s swing was before.

I watched the derby for the first time in entirety. Wow, what a show.
Pederson- Guerrero was a show upon itself.
The only thing that was a bit annoying...when they would keep comparing Vlad’s HR totals to Alonso. Don’t get me wrong, his totals were out of this world...but, numbers would have been much closer if Alonso didn’t end each round, including the final, before time ran out and if Glad didn’t have so many extra rounds. He still would have been up over everyone but it needed to be at least mentioned.
Question for anyone that watches Vlad play...Was that just a BP/HRD swing or does he swing like that all the time?
Never really noticed how pretty Pederson’s swing was before.
I thought Alonso's pitcher was not too good. The number of balls that were unhittable. They say time is money and it's certainly true when you're going up against the clock. Vlad Jr's pitcher was much better at placing the balls right in the sweet spot. I think Pete won in spite of his chosen pitcher. But I'm not gonna take anything away from the younger Vlad. He was and is a beast. At 20. Wow.

I thought Alonso's pitcher was not too good. The number of balls that were unhittable. They say time is money and it's certainly true when you're going up against the clock. Vlad Jr's pitcher was much better at placing the balls right in the sweet spot. I think Pete won in spite of his chosen pitcher. But I'm not gonna take anything away from the younger Vlad. He was and is a beast. At 20. Wow.
Also, Alonso never used the extra 30 seconds in any of his rounds. Advantage of going second in the pairing.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Also, Alonso never used the extra 30 seconds in any of his rounds. Advantage of going second in the pairing.
That was my point and he still always had time left on the standard clock...He lost between 2- 2.5 minutes of time. Vlad had all the extra rounds plus the 30 seconds each time. Still super impressive no matter how you slice it but also so unfair to make such an issue of the difference before the final round started. And as the previous poster just stated, also think Pete's pitcher didnt do him many favors.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Vlad eats like one also. I'm thinking at 20, he will cut his career short with a weight issue.

Vlad eats like one also. I'm thinking at 20, he will cut his career short with a weight issue.
It's funny, first time I saw Vlad Jr, I thought there is no way that is Sr's kid...Vlad Sr was tall, lanky. Jr is short and a bit "compact" lol I know players get bad reps for playing around while on the road but what the hell was the Mrs doing? Just saying lol .

So, as we head into the 2nd half...One more year of being completely disappointed.
Bright spots that keep me coming back
McNeil, Alonso, deGrom
I wish they could find a full time spot for Davis as he could be a guy that would be on tract for 35-40 HR's if playing full time.
I also hope that Smith can keep the BA up now that he is playing more consistent but I love watching him and his smile and he has shown some pop in his bat. Another guy that may have been on a 30HR pace if playing full time.
Pleasantly surprised with Frazier. But we should move him for a bag of peanuts. Ramos is going to be exactly what he is every year on offense. Just didnt know his D was this bad. Rosario is much improved with the bat but what the F is going on ib the field.
Conforto- needs a 2nd half like he had last year but will still most likely be 30+ HR
2B/CF are the major holes
I'm thinking Thor needs to have a new contract drawn up or just dump him. He seems to be pitching like he is out of here in his mind. Either that, or he is hurt but pitching through it.
Wheeler- great stuff but always throws one killer inning. Even in his wins. Need to move him and stock up- he is our one major chip. Is there a chance another team may thing they can get Matz on track and give us something?

Hope our GM grows some baseballs and makes some great moves for our future. Meanwhile, McNeil, Alonso, deGrom

Reactions: cicero grimes
So, as we head into the 2nd half...One more year of being completely disappointed.
Bright spots that keep me coming back
McNeil, Alonso, deGrom
I wish they could find a full time spot for Davis as he could be a guy that would be on tract for 35-40 HR's if playing full time.
I also hope that Smith can keep the BA up now that he is playing more consistent but I love watching him and his smile and he has shown some pop in his bat. Another guy that may have been on a 30HR pace if playing full time.
Pleasantly surprised with Frazier. But we should move him for a bag of peanuts. Ramos is going to be exactly what he is every year on offense. Just didnt know his D was this bad. Rosario is much improved with the bat but what the F is going on ib the field.
Conforto- needs a 2nd half like he had last year but will still most likely be 30+ HR
2B/CF are the major holes
I'm thinking Thor needs to have a new contract drawn up or just dump him. He seems to be pitching like he is out of here in his mind. Either that, or he is hurt but pitching through it.
Wheeler- great stuff but always throws one killer inning. Even in his wins. Need to move him and stock up- he is our one major chip. Is there a chance another team may thing they can get Matz on track and give us something?

Hope our GM grows some baseballs and makes some great moves for our future. Meanwhile, McNeil, Alonso, deGrom

Ramos was not that impressive in Philadelphia last year; I don't think the team made any effort to keep him for this year. His defense was terrible (I wonder why the Mets didn't see that). He did have power when he hit the pitch the other way.

Will the Mets be buyers or sellers? The 7/31 date is approaching. Do they wait another ten days or so to see where they are in the standings before deciding?

Rosario has been awful with the bat and in the field. Looks like a non player at this point but he's still young.

That was my point and he still always had time left on the standard clock...He lost between 2- 2.5 minutes of time. Vlad had all the extra rounds plus the 30 seconds each time. Still super impressive no matter how you slice it but also so unfair to make such an issue of the difference before the final round started. And as the previous poster just stated, also think Pete's pitcher didnt do him many favors.
I know he wanted to hook up his cousin with a free All-Star game experience and all that, but Pete would have been far better off with any member of the Mets bullpen pitching to him. He could have gone for 35-40 per round.

Rosario has been awful with the bat and in the field. Looks like a non player at this point but he's still young.
Far from awful with the bat but on the other hand, there are at least 10+ SS’s much better hitting. But having him in the 8 spot is a great place.
In the field...horrible
Now, do we have anyone to take his place so we could move him to CF?

Reactions: shields
Far from awful with the bat but on the other hand, there are at least 10+ SS’s much better hitting. But having him in the 8 spot is a great place.
In the field...horrible
I don't much like the idea of moving a guy who has been an infielder his whole life into center. The corners are one thing but center field is another.

I don't think he hits enough that the mets should be trying to find a spot for him anyways.

Met's need to find a true center fielder. And they probably need to find a short stop.

In the field...horrible

He's awful with the bat. .260/.299/.414. OPS+ of 92 wrc+ of 89. The latter two stats take into account everything like park, position, etc and 100 is average. Traditional slash line is garbage is also.

I don't much like the idea of moving a guy who has been an infielder his whole life into center. The corners are one thing but center field is another.

I don't think he hits enough that the mets should be trying to find a spot for him anyways.

Met's need to find a true center fielder. And they probably need to find a short stop.
But thats the Wilpons MO most of the time. Find the cheapest alternative possible.

Field of Dreams was shown on the MLB Network tonight.Part of the story revolves around a Moonlight Graham who never batted in an MLB game and played only one inning in the field.He later became a doctor.

The Mets have their own Moonlight Graham who caught one inning and never came to bat.He later became a lawyer.Who is he?

Field of Dreams was shown on the MLB Network tonight.Part of the story revolves around a Moonlight Graham who never batted in an MLB game and played only one inning in the field.He later became a doctor.

The Mets have their own Moonlight Graham who caught one inning and never came to bat.He later became a lawyer.Who is he?

Joe Hietpas. He was a 2004 September callup who promptly got injured in batting practice. Recovered just in time to be inserted in the lineup for the ninth inning of the final game.

The Mets later tried to make a pitcher out of him, but that didn't work and he retired in 2008 without making it back to the bigs.

While that 2004 season ending game was meaningless in the standings, it was very significant for another reason. It was the final game of the Montreal Expos.

Last edited:
https://www.rotoworld.com/baseball/mlb/player/18685/jed-lowrie

Lowrie trying to top Cano for worst transaction ever
Oh man, not even close!

All Lowrie is costing is the opportunity cost of how the money may have been better spent - and who knows whether it would have even been spent.

Cano on the other hand is a financial albatross for the next five years. The Mets have to play him in his position of choice, no matter what. Plus rumor has it that they gave up a couple of good prospects whose names escape me at the moment.[winking]

Reactions: Mr Magoo
https://www.rotoworld.com/baseball/mlb/player/18685/jed-lowrie

Lowrie trying to top Cano for worst transaction ever
Everyone would have gone apeshit crazy (and rightfully so) if this was Cespedes, Rosario, Smith, Familia, etc. But this is just a minor thing here... A minor shoulder shrug... Oh well.

I just wonder how friendly BVW and Lowrie is with each other and this was the mother of all hook ups, even though Lowrie was hurt from the begining. I wouldnt put any of the shenanigans past anybody anymore.

Please be sellers. Most Mets players just lose value as the season rolls on. Keep Alonso, McNeil and deGrom and put all the rest on the block.

Everyone would have gone apeshit crazy (and rightfully so) if this was Cespedes, Rosario, Smith, Familia, etc. But this is just a minor thing here... A minor shoulder shrug... Oh well.

I just wonder how friendly BVW and Lowrie is with each other and this was the mother of all hook ups, even though Lowrie was hurt from the begining. I wouldnt put any of the shenanigans past anybody anymore.

Starting to wonder myself

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT