ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019 World Series of Poker - Main Event Thread

Sad to see Allen Cunningham out, but some other big names still rolling along.

Agreed...and Johnny Chan was just eliminated at the end of the coverage.
Yeah, saw that, too bad. It's always nice to see a few big names at the final table, but with over 8,000 players, that's tough to do.

Saw a buddy of mine is still alive. Go Chance!

It's always fun when someone you know is doing well. A couple of years ago a poker guy I know from one of the home games I've played in won $200K - not necessarily the best player, but streaky and got hot at the right time and was a chip bully for awhile until it ended badly on an ill-advised bluff. Sweet though, to win that much.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Chase is a good dude. I know him completely outside of poker, which is definitely not an interest of mine.

The late poker pro, Amir Vahedi, used to say, “in order to live you have to be willing to die”. Seymour had the chips to make the call and needed to do it. Inching up the pay ladder shouldn’t matter to him at this stage.
Agreed, bad fold there.

Seymour made quite a few bad plays last night, in addition to the tens hand he should have re-shoved AK after the guy in front of him shoved a short stack with KQ, and played J10 bad in another hand. He seemed to be playing tight ABC poker instead of putting pressure on his opponents.

FYI looks like pokergo only tonight, no ESPN coverage.

The late poker pro, Amir Vahedi, used to say, “in order to live you have to be willing to die”. Seymour had the chips to make the call and needed to do it. Inching up the pay ladder shouldn’t matter to him at this stage.
I remind myself of this every time I play.

I also read about the "death match" Vehidi played at the Mirage with Ted Forest. Amazing. They played for iirc 48 hours straight with Vehidi chain smoking the entire time. They carried Vehidi out on a stretcher.

Reactions: Phi_1055
Seymour made quite a few bad plays last night, in addition to the tens hand he should have re-shoved AK after the guy in front of him shoved a short stack with KQ, and played J10 bad in another hand. He seemed to be playing tight ABC poker instead of putting pressure on his opponents.

How the hell can ESPN be ignoring Day 6 completely? This is where it's really fun to watch, as most people left have a legitimate shot at winning. I don't get it. I assume poker go is a pay service. Interesting to see this unknown Su way ahead with over 19MM in chips with the much better known Greenwood in 2nd with 11MM+ chips. Will another nobody win the Main Event? Maybe this is the year Esfandiari finally does it - he's in 29th with 6.6MM chips.

https://www.cardplayer.com/poker-ne...vent-day-5-timothy-su-leads-final-106-players

How the hell can ESPN be ignoring Day 6 completely? This is where it's really fun to watch, as most people left have a legitimate shot at winning. I don't get it. I assume poker go is a pay service. Interesting to see this unknown Su way ahead with over 19MM in chips with the much better known Greenwood in 2nd with 11MM+ chips. Will another nobody win the Main Event? Maybe this is the year Esfandiari finally does it - he's in 29th with 6.6MM chips.

https://www.cardplayer.com/poker-ne...vent-day-5-timothy-su-leads-final-106-players

Yea, it's a streaming service, $10 a month. To me it is worth it, but to each his own. They have had a bunch of the WSOP preliminary event final tables on it, resurrected the old poker after dark shows with different cash games, and publish the super high roller bowls when it is on.

A lot of these nobodies are very good players, just not "TV" stars.

IMO one of the best stories left is Hachem's kid. Would be cool if he got to the final table .

Reactions: RU848789
Yea, it's a streaming service, $10 a month. To me it is worth it, but to each his own. They have had a bunch of the WSOP preliminary event final tables on it, resurrected the old poker after dark shows with different cash games, and publish the super high roller bowls when it is on.

A lot of these nobodies are very good players, just not "TV" stars.

IMO one of the best stories left is Hachem's kid. Would be cool if he got to the final table .

Used to love the poker after dark show cash game - they still have some cash games on one of the cable channels, but they don't seem as big. Yeah, it's hard to know if a "nobody" just doesn't play "official" tournaments and mostly plays cash games or on-line. I have thousands of hours of on-line experience (modest stakes not high stakes) from when on-line was a lot bigger, but nobody would ever know that. Hachem's kid would be a good story. Also, wasn't Foxen down to almost the felt early on (like 5K in chips)? Might have that wrong, but they mentioned a couple of guys like that who are still alive.

ESPN not securing any broadcast rights for today is like buying the rights to the 1st, 2nd and 4th quarters of a football game.

Used to love the poker after dark show cash game - they still have some cash games on one of the cable channels, but they don't seem as big. Yeah, it's hard to know if a "nobody" just doesn't play "official" tournaments and mostly plays cash games or on-line. I have thousands of hours of on-line experience (modest stakes not high stakes) from when on-line was a lot bigger, but nobody would ever know that. Hachem's kid would be a good story. Also, wasn't Foxen down to almost the felt early on (like 5K in chips)? Might have that wrong, but they mentioned a couple of guys like that who are still alive.

That was Preben Stokkan who was down to a single 5,000 chip.

I was once down to 1 BB UTG in a tournament and looked down to see AA and septupled up. We were already in the money and I used those chips to make it through two pay jumps.

Reactions: RU848789

If Seymour wants to make the final table he has got to open up a bit and take some chances. Completely agree with the above. I wanted to jump through the TV set on the tens hand and the AK hand. The really good players are going to exploit him mercilessly. He will get blinded out waiting to only play the absolute nuts. I do love how Chad was busting on him with the Pats jabs.

If Seymour wants to make the final table he has got to open up a bit and take some chances. Completely agree with the above. I wanted to jump through the TV set on the tens hand and the AK hand. The really good players are going to exploit him mercilessly. He will get blinded out waiting to only play the absolute nuts. I do love how Chad was busting on him with the Pats jabs.
Seymour is out, finishing #131 with $59K. If he had played those hands more aggressively he'd be in the middle of the pack.

Reactions: cicero grimes
That was Preben Stokkan who was down to a single 5,000 chip.

I was once down to 1 BB UTG in a tournament and looked down to see AA and septupled up. We were already in the money and I used those chips to make it through two pay jumps.
Sweet! I never made that wild of a comeback, although I was once in 9th at a final table of 10 on-line and ended up winning the tournament (was only about $800, but was still nice).

Stokkan is nearly last right now with 1.1MM chips, so maybe I'll root for him as that would be an awesome story.

I also read about the "death match" Vehidi played at the Mirage with Ted Forest. Amazing. They played for iirc 48 hours straight with Vehidi chain smoking the entire time. They carried Vehidi out on a stretcher.

Only been to Vegas once for a bachelor party, but we were there for about 80 hours and I slept about 3 hours in total, took a drive out to see Hoover Dam, spent about 8 hours doing bachelor party crap and spent the rest of the time playing poker. Have played poker 48 hours straight a few times. I don't get "clearance" for that anymore - maybe after retirement, lol. Never needed a lot of sleep...

Esfandiari is now down to 850K in chips after losing a huge pot to Sammartino, as Antonio had AK and had kings on the flop (K-Q-5), but AE went all in on the turn, which was a J to give Sammartino Broadway. This not being on TV sucks.

Su just made a gutsy river call with TT and has over 22 million. He has some skill

Esfandiari is now down to 850K in chips after losing a huge pot to Sammartino, as Antonio had AK and had kings on the flop (K-Q-5), but AE went all in on the turn, which was a J to give Sammartino Broadway. This not being on TV sucks.
Darn, would love to see him at the final table.

Seymour has got to be kicking himself. He had a chance to rake a bunch of
chips and possibly still be playing. He may never get that chance again. You go for the win.

Darn, would love to see him at the final table.
Would love to see anything right now, lol. They have boxing and baseball on - no reason they shouldn't have the poker on, for Day 6. Are they trying to force people to pony up the $10 for Poker-Go? I wonder if ESPN owns that station, lol.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Would love to see anything right now, lol. They have boxing and baseball on - no reason they shouldn't have the poker on, for Day 6. Are they trying to force people to pony up the $10 for Poker-Go? I wonder if ESPN owns that station, lol.
Total BS, this is a big day of action.
FYI, Barry sounds like a bust.
[cheers]

Reactions: waveslider
61 players left and only two of them have ever won a bracelet before. It’s going to be hard for ESPN to get casual viewers interested again because when they come back it’s going to be a field of players who most viewers have never heard of.

In other poker news Carnegie Mellon and Facebook have developed a very low-cost bot that beats top pros in 6 max games.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samshe...can-beat-the-worlds-top-players/#4da180836fef

Interesting research and techniques used to lower the compute costs. Could have longer lasting impacts in areas where we have imperfect information like poker. The Facebook ai blog has more info,https://ai.facebook.com/blog/pluribus-first-ai-to-beat-pros-in-6-player-poker/ , including a link to the detailed research paper in science mag worth reading if you are interested in AI and poker.

Esfendiari is out. Here are the current chip counts, http://www.wsop.com/tournaments/chipcounts/?aid=2&grid=1622&tid=17298&dayof=7657&rr=5

Disgusting bust out for Greenwood.

Saw the story about this hand last night. Brutal. Right in the brown as we say at our home game. Sometimes you get it all in as a big favorite and the 2 or 8 outer hits, like this one. Wonder if Su calls a bigger raise pre-flop - I didn't see that action in the video - did Greenwood raise enough? Of course, I love aces (nothing better than playing with people who say they hate aces - you know for sure they're morons, lol), but I often struggle with whether to raise heavily to win the antes/blinds or to raise just enough to make sure it's heads up and try to go with implied future income (nothing worse than 5 callers when you have aces), recognizing aces is an awesome opportunity to take someone else's stack who has a premium hand.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT