ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022 World Cup Thread

The US will have no excuses to not go farther in 2026. They should be in Pot 1 in the draw, meaning the toughest team in their group (depending on what FIFA settled on as the format) will be ranked anywhere from about 10th to 32nd in the world.

Than, after winning their group, their first opponent in the knockout stage would again be from that 10-32 range at worst.

The US will have no excuses to not go farther in 2026. They should be in Pot 1 in the draw, meaning the toughest team in their group (depending on what FIFA settled on as the format) will be ranked anywhere from about 10th to 32nd in the world.

Than, after winning their group, their first opponent in the knockout stage would again be from that 10-32 range at worst.
Are all 3 host teams in pot 1? If so that means some really good teams aren’t.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Are all 3 host teams in pot 1? If so that means some really good teams aren’t.
There is going to be 12 or 16 groups. The truly deserving teams will be in Pot 1 even if the US, Canada, and Mexico are.

I don't think it was that the Dutch had better finishers, it was they created better chances.

Maybe it was our D allowing the better chances? But the best looks at net this game were all NED's.

There is going to be 12 or 16 groups. The truly deserving teams will be in Pot 1 even if the US, Canada, and Mexico are.
IIRC, I read there will be 48 teams and three teams per group and the top 2 of each group go through. Is that right?

I must be watching a different game than you. His passes are seldom completed, and I the right area.
Yeah I thought this was musahs least impactful match of the tourney. The Puli initial miss was very poor. Goal there changes the entire outlook. The fact is for all his talent he is wasteful with his chances and isn't a two way player, so when he is off on o it is really a problem. And not to fuel a fire - but Reyna looked healthy to me. Why he didn't play more will remain a mystery.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
The spacing of the Dutch is what surprised me when in the attacking third - the US was so bunched trying to play short.

You think if the Netherlands "really wanted" they'd win 8-3. First time watching the sport?
Obviously I was embellishing for effect, but ya, when NED went on the attack, they scored.

They scored 3 while playing D most of the game.

I don't think it was that the Dutch had better finishers, it was they created better chances.

Maybe it was our D allowing the better chances? But the best looks at net this game were all NED's.
All three NED goals were totally explainable as one US player not following the man he should be marking.

It wasn’t overwhelming skill by NED, just being clinical when they got chances.

this. Those were easily defendable goals in the first half. 8 US defenders all staring at the ball carriers. Awful defending and not even clean on the pass backs into the box. Typical garbage USA play

I must be watching a different game than you. His passes are seldom completed, and I the right area.
He retrieved many balls, tracked back and gained Control, got us out of their side and started the ball moving forward. Early on our midfield was sloppy but they grew into it and settled down, especially Musah, imho

IIRC, I read there will be 48 teams and three teams per group and the top 2 of each group go through. Is that right?
Thankfully they appear to be reconsidering that.

People rightly freaked about only 2 group stage games, and how rife the last game in each group would be for cheating or boring soccer with no one trying.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
SO... does USSF bring Gregg back? Does he want to come back? He is now out of contract.

He retrieved many balls, tracked back and gained Control, got us out of their side and started the ball moving forward. Early on our midfield was sloppy but they grew into it and settled down, especially Musah, imho
I must admit I was paying more attention to what we were doing in the final third, because that was where we were breaking down.

SO... does USSF bring Gregg back? Does he want to come back? He is now out of contract.
I am not nearly as negative as some people are about GB but I think if you are ever going to pay up for a big time guy - now is the time. Some big names would be intrigued by the young talent here.

Reactions: cshelley
Yeah I thought this was musahs least impactful match of the tourney. The Puli initial miss was very poor. Goal there changes the entire outlook. The fact is for all his talent he is wasteful with his chances and isn't a two way player, so when he is off on o it is really a problem. And not to fuel a fire - but Reyna looked healthy to me. Why he didn't play more will remain a mystery.
Only thing I noticed was he seemed a bit slow. I think he might be the kind of player who’s at his best when he starts.

I am not nearly as negative as some people are about GB but I think if you are ever going to pay up for a big time guy - now is the time. Some big names would be intrigued by the young talent here.
Too bad Pep just signed an extension because originally he was near the end of his deal and he loves living in the US.

All three NED goals were totally explainable as one US player not following the man he should be marking.

Do need to give NED credit for finding that weakness. The passer saw it, the shooter saw it, they made the play and finished it.

Certainly felt like NED did more to deny such oppurtunities by the USA, but it's hard to say when such oppurtunities may have been available, but we were just not able to exploit it.

Maybe it's part of just being a young team without a ton of experience playing together.

I would bring him back if he’s interested. If not, being in someone who can build on the style of play we’ve finally successfully adopted. I would hate to see a regression to the ugly soccer play of prior WC teams.

GB doesn't seem harsh enough. Need a tougher coach who also has a collared shirt.
No way to know how harsh he is behind closed doors. One thing we don’t need is a coach that makes nasty public comments.

The team has been getting better and better over time under his term. No value to beating up in them after the loss. Just calmly review what happened, good and bad, and get back to work improving the weaknesses.

No way to know how harsh he is behind closed doors. One thing we don’t need is a coach that makes nasty public comments.

The team has been getting better and better over time under his term. No value to beating up in them after the loss. Just calmly review what happened, good and bad, and get back to work improving the weaknesses.
He sucks

Are you friends with him? NOBODY wants him back lol!

Whatever happened to Tab Ramos? I remember reading awhile back when he was the coach of the younger (U-18) US team, he was considered a name for the main team? Is that not true anymore?

Reactions: leftoright
End of the Berhalter era. There were obvious disappointments, but he owned Mexico (huge) and this WC ended up being a reasonable success for the USA. I had many issues with the guy, but no real complaints for this WC.

I am greatly looking forward to 2026 - the US talent pool is rapidly expanding and improving. The youth player development system in the USA is tremendous - on par with any nation in the world. I am imagining a team that isn't solid for the first 13 or 14 players, but more than 20 players deep in 2026.

OK, back to WC 2022.

exactly...all three goals were obvious marking mistakes by Adams, Dest and Robinson, not amazing goals, although to their credit they finished all three chances perfectly...

Whatever happened to Tab Ramos? I remember reading awhile back when he was the coach of the younger (U-18) US team, he was considered a name for the main team? Is that not true anymore?
You are familiar with how the NCAA operates. Well, the NCAA is ethical, fair and effective compared to the US Soccer Federation,

• Haha

He didn't last one season with the Houston Dynamo. I think he's now coaching at the USL level. He did have success with the U20 team for an extended period.

ADVERTISEMENT