ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022 World Cup Thread

exactly...all three goals were obvious marking mistakes by Adams, Dest and Robinson, not amazing goals, although to their credit they finished all three chances perfectly...
Not enough credit to the passer for seeing the op and delivering a perfect pass.

Also note USA goalie probably had the 2 best saves of the game.

It's an interesting game to discuss, because yes USA did control play(imo at least), but NED had the better chances and scored 3 demoralizing goals.

Feel like NED could have created more but was playing conservatively much of the game.

He was also handed what will be the golden generation of talent.

As hard as qualifying out of CONCACAF is the core leaders were going to will this team to qualify regardless of who was in charge.

He took us from not even making the WC 4 years ago to making it and getting ot of the group for only the 2nd time in modern history. He's not perfect, but you and others excoriating GB need a little perspective.
With a young team too right?

And were the issues tonight not young team mistakes?

Seems like blaming the coach here is just typical post loss belly aching.

Reactions: RU848789
Here's a name that popped into my head. How about Pochettino. Out of work. Style would fit.

He was also handed what will be the golden generation of talent.

As hard as qualifying out of CONCACAF is the core leaders were going to will this team to qualify regardless of who was in charge.
That’s a worry going forward. No qualifying for 26, and then easy qualifying thereafter with likely 2 more CONCACAF spots in the expanded fields.

How does the US team get battle hardened when their toughest competition is the Gold Cup?

Here's a name that popped into my head. How about Pochettino. Out of work. Style would fit.

Usually played with a midfield duo as a pivot. We got that covered. Gotta find a target man though. And of course he'd had to - you know - actually want the job.

He took us from not even making the WC 4 years ago to making it and getting ot of the group for only the 2nd time in modern history. He's not perfect, but you and others excoriating GB need a little perspective.
No, we don’t. We had a group taylor-made for us and barely made it out.

Listen, we had one of the youngest sides, actually the second youngest side in the World Cup, I get it. That being said, his starting lineup and substitution decisions were ****ing abysmal.

I always hear oh USA soccer is coming along and is going to be a major player on the international scene . It’s always the same old crap and disappointing result . We have been to the quarterfinals once in what 30 plus years ?? I mean it’s nice we won a game this tournament …but cmon . USA soccer stinks when you factor in our population and resources
Population and resources is negated by the popularity of other sports in this country.

It does seem as though USA has solidified itself as a world player at least. Earning the WC is not enough. Making it to the knockout round is not enough. No we are not elite, but we have been in that mix for decades now.

Question now is how much can this current young roster develop?

Listen, we had one of the youngest sides, actually the second youngest side in the World Cup, I get it. That being said, his starting lineup and substitution decisions were ****ing abysmal.
Donavon noting our lack of depth. Is there really many decisions he could have made differently?

exactly...all three goals were obvious marking mistakes by Adams, Dest and Robinson, not amazing goals, although to their credit they finished all three chances perfectly...
The Fox guys just did a really nice job illustrating these mistakes and Lalas made a great point that the Dutch didn't do anything we couldn't have easily stopped...just that they executed flawlessly when given the opportunities we gave them.

Reactions: mildone
Despite giving up 3 goals Turner was fantastic tonight (and all through the group games...been calling for him to be #1 since the gold cup), with 4 excellent saves - and the one on the follow up header was one of the 2 or 3 best in the entire tourney given how quickly he got off the ground after the initial strong save.

The Fox guys just did a really nice job illustrating these mistakes and Lalas made a great point that the Dutch didn't do anything we couldn't have easily stopped...just that they executed flawlessly when given the opportunities we gave them.
I think awareness of the opportunities by the NED's is not being given enough credit.

USA's lack of awareness is obvious, but it's taken for granted that the offensive team see's every defensive breakdown. I imagine there were opportunities for the USA that go unnoticed in the post game critique because they were unnoticed in the moment.

we disagree on the group on "barely" making it out and on his subs/lineups...

Population and resources is negated by the popularity of other sports in this country.

It does seem as though USA has solidified itself as a world player at least. Earning the WC is not enough. Making it to the knockout round is not enough. No we are not elite, but we have been in that mix for decades now.

We have been mired in the same place for 28 years. Likely in the 15-20 range of top national teams. Most WCs we will qualify for, sometimes making it out of groups and sometimes not. Once in a while we will miss the WC entirely, but once in a while we will get a lucky Round of 16 match-up and advance to quarters. It is what it is. No reason to think this will improve.

Reactions: Plum Street
Nah, he really doesn't. But you're entitled to your opinion, as is everyone else. If you feel differently, detail exactly what mistakes were made, what you would've done differently tactically or strategically, and try to make a case for why it would've been more successful.

I think GB has done a really good job with this team so far, since he was hired. We played a team that executed better than us and lost today. It happens.

The US approach to the game was exactly what gave us the best chance to win, IMO. Literally the only question I had was the choice of Ferreira and we have no idea what we don't know about that decision, so critiquing it would be uninformed blather.

When Reyna came in at the half, even with his fresh legs, he didn't exactly dominate the game. And it's not like anybody else has killed it at center forward for us.

The 3 goals were not GB's fault, at all, in any way. The first was the US midfielders, who were struggling a lot in the early part of the game and making constant mental mistakes, being caught out of position in transition. That was 100% on them and I am pretty certain they knew it even as it was happening. It was also some devastatingly good play in the moment by the Netherlands players.

The other two goals were directly attributable to bad player mistakes at the back.

This US squad has played better, and for sure they made crucial mental mistakes today. But I saw no evidence of bad coaching at all. Coaching a team is not like arranging chess pieces or being a puppet-master. The players had a good plan, one that gave them a good chance to win.

It's mental mistakes on the field that did us in today. Not bad strategy or poor preparation or awful subbing.

Fun watching them. There's obviously a lot of potential but they're missing that reliable striker like Dempsey. In four years those young players will be near their prime and it may be the best US team ever.

Anyone who wants GB back after his DISGRACEFUL DECISION-making is out of their minds.
Uh-huh. All you seem to know how to do is make broad critical comments, echoing all the other uninformed and inexperienced non-coaches out there. I have yet to see you contribute a single statement that would demonstrate that you actually have any kind of detailed soccer coaching knowledge at all.

If you're so knowledgeable about all this, then explain in detail what you would've done differently. Then defend how you are so certain it would've made such a big difference. You have no way to prove it, of course. But at least you could demonstrate a solid foundation in soccer tactics and coaching terminology, demonstrate a true understanding of the game at a deep enough level for your opinions to be worthwhile on the subject.

And don't just say "subbing" or starting lineup. That's a total cop out that reflects no expertise whatsoever and cannot possibly be proven to be correct. Get into detail, show your stuff.

Uh-huh. All you seem to know how to do is make broad critical comments, echoing all the other uninformed and inexperienced non-coaches out there. I have yet to see you contribute a single statement that would demonstrate that you actually have any kind of detailed soccer coaching knowledge at all.

If you're so knowledgeable about all this, then explain in detail what you would've done differently. Then defend how you are so certain it would've made such a big difference. You have no way to prove it, of course. But at least you could demonstrate a solid foundation in soccer tactics and coaching terminology.

And don't just say "subbing" or starting lineup. That's a total cop out that reflects no expertise whatsoever and cannot possibly be proven to be correct. Get into detail, show your stuff.
Pretty much. Everybody screaming for Reyna where do you put him and who do you sit - Puli or Weah? And dont say at the 9 - We put him as a 9 and he did jack until Wright was subbed in, then showed some quality on the right side.

If you're so knowledgeable about all this, then explain in detail what you would've done differently. Then defend how you are so certain it would've made such a big difference. You have no way to prove it, of course. But at least you could demonstrate a solid foundation in soccer tactics and coaching terminology, demonstrate a true understanding of the game at a deep enough level for your opinions to be worthwhile on the subject.

I'd tell my guys to not leave offensive players wide open in the box.

Bam, I'm hired.

The short answer is a lot. One needs to look no further than the number of players in the Big 5 Euro leagues.

Reactions: cshelley
My favorite team lost today but at least my second favorite moves on. Dutch vs Argentina should be a good game.

Pretty much. Everybody screaming for Reyna where do you put him and who do you sit - Puli or Weah? And dont say at the 9 - We put him as a 9 and he did jack until Wright was subbed in, then showed some quality on the right side.
Exactly. I'm a fan of Reyna and wanted him out there. And who knows, it's possible having him in from the start might've made a difference. Maybe.

Except he wouldn't have prevented any of the 3 goals. And when he was in, he didn't really demonstrate anything different from what we'd seen in the attack in the first half.

There's absolutely no way of us knowing why he wasn't in all game or that the reasoning wasn't sound. And there's no way of proving that it was a deciding factor for us - it sure didn't look like it once he was in.

The short answer is a lot. One needs to look no further than the number of players in the Big 5 Euro leagues.
Better question is how much will they develop?

To the original point, if USA does not advance at least a round at the 2026 WC, it would seem like we continue to be stuck in the mud.

The stars do seem aligned though.

ADVERTISEMENT