ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2023 Women's World Cup

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
Was a good thread for awhile - let's see if we can talk about just soccer. Will start with @RUHotTrumpetMonkeyLove's post today...

OK soccer fans. Here are your quarterfinals:
Spain vs. Netherlands
Japan vs. Sweden
Australia vs. France
England vs. Colombia

Predictions?
Spain - Japan
Australia - England

England beats Japan in the finals.

Here's my total WAG...

Netherlands - Japan
France - Colombia (since England will be without James)

France over Netherlands for the WC. My biggest hope is that none of these games ends in PKs.

Last edited:
Just a guess for now. Will have to pick the final later:

Spain - Japan

England - France

My pick all along has been England but we will see.

Here's my total WAG...

Netherlands - Japan
France - Australia (since England will be without James)

France over Netherlands for the WC. My biggest hope is that none of these games ends in PKs.
France plays Australia in the quarterfinals, while England plays Colombia on that side of the bracket in the quarters, no?

So the winner of France - Australia will play the winner of England-Colombia in the semifinals.

Reactions: RU848789
France plays Australia in the quarterfinals, while England plays Colombia on that side of the bracket in the quarters, no?

So the winner of France - Australia will play the winner of England-Colombia in the semifinals.

You're correct - fixed my post, thanks...

NImberSan should start his own site. He loves to try and control what people post.

#InferiorityComplex

Reactions: RocktheRac
Here's my total WAG...

Netherlands - Japan

I really like the Netherlands style of play, but I have not seen a true, standout superstar on that team. I don't see them getting by Spain, unfortunately.

Reactions: RU848789
I really like the Netherlands style of play, but I have not seen a true, standout superstar on that team. I don't see them getting by Spain, unfortunately.
Fair point, but they play together very well and are quite experienced, so you never know. I have no real rooting interest any more, other than good games and no PKs.

Reactions: UMRU
Been saying it for years. Morgan is so overrated. Never gets the goal when it matters and can’t seem to create on her own. She’s a nice part on a stacked team but not an alpha.
When she was young she had serious speed, but she's definitely lost a step, which is a big deal for a striker and at 38 in 2027, I just don't think it's in the cards for her to be on the team. Wish we had someone with the speed of that South African player, Kgatlana, who was just electric in this WC.

Current odds (Bet 360)

England +240
Spain +350
France +500
Japan +500
Australia +800
Sweden +900
Netherlands +1200
Colombia +2800

I like monkeylove's predictions, but with Japan winning the final.

When she was young she had serious speed, but she's definitely lost a step, which is a big deal for a striker and at 38 in 2027, I just don't think it's in the cards for her to be on the team. Wish we had someone with the speed of that South African player, Kgatlana, who was just electric in this WC.
Did not realize how old this squad was. Rapinoe is 38 now!!! That is insane. You cannot be playing 90 minutes at 38 unless your name is Ronaldo.

Did not realize how old this squad was. Rapinoe is 38 now!!! That is insane. You cannot be playing 90 minutes at 38 unless your name is Ronaldo.
Especially if you don't do anything but make some runs to goal and watch everyone else play defense, lol.

Looking forward to watching Spain-Netherlands at a normal time tomorrow night (9PM). Only if the US were playing would I set an alarm clock to watch.

Looking forward to watching Spain-Netherlands at a normal time tomorrow night (9PM). Only if the US were playing would I set an alarm clock to watch.
I suspect that match was scheduled with the US audience in mind. Had things gone as anticipated, the US would have been playing in that match.

Reactions: MulletCork
If Morgan wasn’t attractive and a marketing powerhouse she would be coaching a youth soccer team right now.
She is pretty. Has that feminine, skater/Dorothy Hamill vibe.
A rare reason to watch lady soccer

Last edited:
Reactions: Caliknight
Frankly one of the teams biggest problem came from an unfortunate batch of pre tournament injuries. Plus an apparent lack of leadership by senior team members, it not about your politics or orientation it’s about focus on the task at hand: competing and winning soccer games against the best teams in the world, you really need to have a singleness of purpose and focus to achieve at the World Cup. This was sadly lacking and there was no question that Rappino should not have been there, and that’s on the coaching staff. Agree that Alex Morgan is a nice piece to have when you have a group of Karli Lloyds around you but she is not nor has never been an alpha dog that this team sorely lacked

I suspect that match was scheduled with the US audience in mind. Had things gone as anticipated, the US would have been playing in that match.
Without a doubt. The winner of the US’s group was set up to play during hours where the US could watch. I think Netherlands-South Africa was a 10 pm Eastern start.

Frankly one of the teams biggest problem came from an unfortunate batch of pre tournament injuries. Plus an apparent lack of leadership by senior team members, it not about your politics or orientation it’s about focus on the task at hand: competing and winning soccer games against the best teams in the world, you really need to have a singleness of purpose and focus to achieve at the World Cup. This was sadly lacking and there was no question that Rappino should not have been there, and that’s on the coaching staff. Agree that Alex Morgan is a nice piece to have when you have a group of Karli Lloyds around you but she is not nor has never been an alpha dog that this team sorely lacked
Correct.

Without a doubt. The winner of the US’s group was set up to play during hours where the US could watch. I think Netherlands-South Africa was a 10 pm Eastern start.
Sucks for the US, but at least we get one prime time start here. Spain has mostly controlled play so far with a couple of really good scoring opportunities. Kind of nice seeing a game in the sunshine, too.

Spain should be up by 3+ goals, but hit 3 posts and missed an easy goal (and then the goal that came was ruled offsides). They've just dominated. On the other hand that reversal of a foul for a PK by Spain was surprising - was by far NED's best chance.

Edit - a minute later, dumb handball by the Dutch and Spain converts to go up 1-0.

Nice to see the Dutch woman who committed the hand ball foul score the tying goal in stoppage time on a real laser of a shot. OT...
That was pretty amazing. Dutch hung in there but this goal in the second OT might be their end

Very surprised to wake up and see that Sweden took down Japan.
Yep, same here, as I really thought Japan was playing the best of any team in the WC. Japan missing that PK was a killer. Also, two amazing fingertip saves by the Japanese keeper or else it would've been a bigger margin for Sweden.

Australia advances after a scoreless game and OT (with plenty of chances, some misses and some great saves) an incredible PK marathon (a record 10 rounds) and England survives 2-1 against Colombia in a backyard brawl of a match. So we're set for the semis with Spain-Sweden and Australia-England, none of which I got right, lol.

Here's my total WAG...

Netherlands - Japan

Ouch.
Good thing I didn't bet the ranch on your picks.

Current odds per Draft Kings:

Spain +160
England +190
Australia +400
Sweden +425

An analysis of prospective candidates to replace Vlatko at USWNT. I assume Vlatko will be out, but nothing announced yet.

Wow, what a strike from distance for a goal by Sam Kerr! Ties it up for the Aussies. Great game going on right now between England and Australia. Should be a fun last ~30 minutes...

Edit: and then a terrible defensive mistake by the Aussies to give up the go ahead goal by England...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT