ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022 World Cup Thread

Wow! Brazil caught upfield with too many players and Croatia scores!

Was a lucky goal though on the deflection - would've been an easy save.

Livakovic has been superb all night in goal for Croatia (and was fantastic on PKs vs. Japan in the last game). Allison is a great keeper, but hasn't had much action, so could favor Croatia with the hot keeper. We'll see.

Ugh. I hate PKs.

I'm watching but I disagree w/Donovan. This isn't much fun to watch, for me.

Terrible PK by Rodrigo - easy save.
I've taken PKs in competitive situations in the past and I can tell you from experience that the goal, which seems huge most of the time, looks minuscule all of a sudden when approaching the PK mark to take the shot.

Livakovic has been superb all night in goal for Croatia (and was fantastic on PKs vs. Japan in the last game). Allison is a great keeper, but hasn't had much action, so could favor Croatia with the hot keeper. We'll see.
I would like accolades for this prescient post. Thank you.

YES! Not gonna lie, glad another "Blue Blood" is out.

I'm asking sincerely, so what's the alternative to PK's? Guys would be dropping if they simply kept playing. Make the extra 15's sudden death?

And that's why I hate PKs. Wasn't rooting for either team and don't mind Croatia advancing at all. Just feel that deciding a match with a momentary individual effort, in a sport where team play is so fundamental to the quality and result of games, is rotten.

Reactions: Saint Puppy

I'm asking sincerely, so what's the alternative to PK's? Guys would be dropping if they simply kept playing. Make the extra 15's sudden death?
Or keep taking a player off each team at 10 minute intervals until someone scores.

Just keep playing extra time until someone scores. They can't, because of broadcast time limits. But it would be a better, more fitting result.

Teams would need to be given extra subs for extra periods of course, or you definitely would have players unable to go on sometimes. But that's part of the game.

It so nice to see Brazil lose.

PK is such a dumb thing. Allow extra subs, allow team to bring players they already subbed out but the PK thing really needs to go. IMO

Yes. Golden goal. Neymar laying on his back sobbing. What were the Vegas odds on that.

BUH-BYE BRAZIL …couldn’t be happier than to see the world’s most entitled players and fans go home in the quarters for the fourth straight time. Hopefully England handles The Frogs tomorrow and we have a Final 4 that’s REALLY interesting regardless of the outcomes I’m the other 2 quarters!

I literally said “almost.”
I'm not sure almost actually applies. I think most teams have a pure striker type. Perhaps not with Neymar's or Messi's level of talent, but with the right mindset and skillset. The USMNT does not have that person at all, IMO.

Donovan was that person for us when he was on the team. He's not nearly as good as Neymar or Messi, but at least he had the right mind and skill set.

I'm not sure almost actually applies. I think most teams have a pure striker type. Perhaps not with Neymar's or Messi's level of talent, but with the right mindset and skillset. The USMNT does not have that person at all, IMO.

Donovan was that person for us when he was on the team. He's not nearly as good as Neymar or Messi, but at least he had the right mind and skill set.
My Lord….

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT