ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022 World Cup Thread

So dumb for the players from either team to get into a scuffle. Risks being available next game.

Second time today a South American side blows a late lead because they got complacent and cocky. Could be a fun overtime after what transpired that last 10 or 15 minutes!

So dumb for the players from either team to get into a scuffle. Risks being available next game.
Adrenaline flowing in a huge match like this, trying to come back, somebody blasts the ball at your bench after a cheap foul and you telling me you’re just gonna stand there? I highly doubt it.

Adrenaline flowing in a huge match like this, trying to come back, somebody blasts the ball at your bench after a cheap foul and you telling me you’re just gonna stand there? I highly doubt it.
Honest, short, answer is it depends on my mood.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
International soccer = very fun.
Couple of guys almost slapped each other.
England game will keep me from surfing tomorrow.😎

YES! Not gonna lie, glad another "Blue Blood" is out.

I'm asking sincerely, so what's the alternative to PK's? Guys would be dropping if they simply kept playing. Make the extra 15's sudden death?
Make the OT golden goal and sudden death. Allow unlimited substitution, and a 15 minute break after each 30 minute OT period.

Reactions: leftoright
Make the OT golden goal and sudden death. Allow unlimited substitution, and a 15 minute break after each 30 minute OT period.
Been saying this for years, like you and many others. If hockey can go multiple OT periods without players dying, soccer can too, especially with unlimited substitution after, say, the first 30 minutes of OT (to keep it like it is now, which is fine). One could debate whether to start the golden goal part after the first 30 minutes of OT or right after regulation (I like the former a little better). PKs just suck. Imagine deciding basketball elimination by free throws or hockey by penalty shots.

Reactions: cshelley and Kbee3
BUH-BYE BRAZIL …couldn’t be happier than to see the world’s most entitled players and fans go home in the quarters for the fourth straight time. Hopefully England handles The Frogs tomorrow and we have a Final 4 that’s REALLY interesting regardless of the outcomes I’m the other 2 quarters!
Disagree, probably since I have no real love or hate of any of the teams. I just like watching great soccer and Brazil plays the most beautiful, entertaining soccer on the planet - doesn't mean they'll always win, as we just saw, but I'd far rather see them playing on instead of Croatia.

Just watched the DVR of Argentina - Netherlands. Wow, just wow is all I can say. One of the greatest WC matches I've ever seen (been watching pretty consistently since '86). Messi's assist on the first goal was exquisite and the finish by Molina was great too and Messi's PK was so cheeky. And then the comeback by the Dutch with the sub Weghorst coming on and redirecting a perfect header into the goal, followed by the incredible goal by Weghorst on that amazing set piece play in the 11th minute of stoppage time. The Dutch keeper also made some amazing saves throughout the match. This was followed by extra time filled with drama and good chances, but no goals and, of course, the dreaded PKs won by Argentina on the last kick. Anyone who didn't like this game simply doesn't like sports.

Here's the Telemundo call on the tying goal by the Dutch. Sidebar: I got a chuckle out of the two smokin' hot Argentinian fans looking so forlorn after that tying goal - until they saw themselves on the stadium cam and smiled, remembering how hot they were.

Reactions: mosito
Just watched the DVR of Argentina - Netherlands. Wow, just wow is all I can say. One of the greatest WC matches I've ever seen (been watching pretty consistently since '86). Messi's assist on the first goal was exquisite and the finish by Molina was great too and Messi's PK was so cheeky. And then the comeback by the Dutch with the sub Weghorst coming on and redirecting a perfect header into the goal, followed by the incredible goal by Weghorst on that amazing set piece play in the 11th minute of stoppage time. The Dutch keeper also made some amazing saves throughout the match. This was followed by extra time filled with drama and good chances, but no goals and, of course, the dreaded PKs won by Argentina on the last kick. Anyone who didn't like this game simply doesn't like sports.

Here's the Telemundo call on the tying goal by the Dutch. Sidebar: I got a chuckle out of the two smokin' hot Argentinian fans looking so forlorn after that tying goal - until they saw themselves on the stadium cam and smiled, remembering how hot they were.

You're not going to mention the ref allowing Messi a handball? Extremely inconsistently called game in favor of Argentina. The punk who kicked at the Dutch bench should have gotten 2 yellows on that play. That was a travesty.

Grant Wahl collapsed and passed away today while covering the games in Qatar. He was sick throughout the week but was forced to remove a rainbow shirt upon entering the standing throughout the tournament and was VERY vocal about the Qatari government ever since they were announced as hosts.

Who knows if there's foul play but the fact that it's even a reasonable consideration shows what a disaster having this World Cup here is.

Grant Wahl collapsed and passed away today while covering the games in Qatar. He was sick throughout the week but was forced to remove a rainbow shirt upon entering the standing throughout the tournament and was VERY vocal about the Qatari government ever since they were announced as hosts.

Who knows if there's foul play but the fact that it's even a reasonable consideration shows what a disaster having this World Cup here is.

Last edited:
You're not going to mention the ref allowing Messi a handball? Extremely inconsistently called game in favor of Argentina. The punk who kicked at the Dutch bench should have gotten 2 yellows on that play. That was a travesty.
They were diversions. The match was great. Yes, Messi shoud've gotten a yellow for the hand ball and that ref let the game get completely out of hand on both sides, IMO, but to me that doesn't take much at all away from the beauty of that game.

They were diversions. The match was great. Yes, Messi shoud've gotten a yellow for the hand ball and that ref let the game get completely out of hand on both sides, IMO, but to me that doesn't take much at all away from the beauty of that game.
Well, great 2nd half.

The Dutch play a very bland version of soccer. They almost lull you into letting your guard down.

I haven't been watching, why are the Morocco fans whistling every Portugal possession?

I know that, but they've been booing for the entire half since I jumped in at 2 minutes. Why they so butthurt?
They have done it to every opponent. Nothing personal to Portugal.

Many soccer fans in different countries do this, nothing new.

Reactions: rurichdog
There is always judgement either way when it comes to fouls, but for the Argentinian player to only get one yellow after committing a very hard foul then kicking the ball at the NED bench was ridiculous and obviously just the referee consciously ignoring the rules to avoid putting one side a man down in such an important game.

Kicking the ball away that hard into space after a whistle is enough to justify a yellow card for dissent, ignoring a player kicking it that hard at the opposing bench made the referee look like a total fool.

There is always judgement either way when it comes to fouls, but for the Argentinian player to only get one yellow after committing a very hard foul then kicking the ball at the NED bench was ridiculous and obviously just the referee consciously ignoring the rules to avoid putting one side a man down in such an important game.

Kicking the ball away that hard into space after a whistle is enough to justify a yellow card for dissent, ignoring a player kicking it that hard at the opposing bench made the referee look like a total fool.
Or look like a ref at a Rutgers basketball game.

Portugal in big trouble now. Morocco will just sit back and defend even more.

Disagree, probably since I have no real love or hate of any of the teams. I just like watching great soccer and Brazil plays the most beautiful, entertaining soccer on the planet - doesn't mean they'll always win, as we just saw, but I'd far rather see them playing on instead of Croatia.
Didn’t say a word about the style they play.

ADVERTISEMENT